Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Baddog posted:

christ, it's an adult job, not summer camp.

I think we've had this discussion before, but I would never pay a signing bonus back. Maybe if you really felt like you dicked them over and it's the fair thing to do, but obviously the job wasn't as advertised. That's on them. They aren't going to take you to small claims. Maybe HR will mention it if a prospective employer calls them up, but I would think that would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Perhaps someone has some experience to the contrary though....

They'll likely take it out of the final paycheck, and withdraw from the direct deposit account for any difference, and who cares if it causes you to overdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You negotiate your incoming employer to buy you out for it. Same as RSUs or anything else you’re leaving on the table.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sundae posted:

6) Require upper management approval for not sharing a room with another employee now (big old nope to me right there)

Agreeing with the other WTF posts. This is wild to me and seems like such an HR minefield I'm shocked it was even greenlit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve definitely worked at places where that was the norm, I’m just surprised it happens at Sundae’s place given the salaries of the attendees. Weird place to save money.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't forget the whole thing with the old guy creeping on the young contractor (intern?)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vasudus posted:

You negotiate your incoming employer to buy you out for it. Same as RSUs or anything else you’re leaving on the table.

Yep

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Volmarias posted:

They'll likely take it out of the final paycheck, and withdraw from the direct deposit account for any difference, and who cares if it causes you to overdraw.

No they won’t.

This would be an extremely stupid and probably illegal thing to do in the US. If they do it lawyer up immediately, an employment attorney will take this on contingency.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our indefinitely postponed North American conference was supposed to have shared rooms and I was curious if anyone has ever actually done that before because it seems like such a a crazy ask.

I mean, it’s such a hard goddamn no I can’t even….just no! Hell no! I don’t even feel like I should even have to explain why, to anyone, much less my manager

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone have a novel way in corporate speak to tell someone “running a packaging study is not my loving job, its your teams loving job”

I thought asking if there is a loving sign outside my cube saying packaging study’s and then yelling at them there isn’t one because its not my loving job; but that seems unprofessional.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sundae posted:

6) Require upper management approval for not sharing a room with another employee now (big old nope to me right there)

So, they don't actually want people going to this conference, right? That's what I'm reading.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Anyone have a novel way in corporate speak to tell someone “running a packaging study is not my loving job, its your teams loving job”

I thought asking if there is a loving sign outside my cube saying packaging study’s and then yelling at them there isn’t one because its not my loving job; but that seems unprofessional.

How about, "I can't fit extracurriculars into my work schedule at this time."

Granted, not entirely corporate speak, but I figure it's just contemptuous enough without being directly insulting (still, know your audience and all that).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Identify an authoritative document which states that packaging studies are their job.

Convert the document, and particularly the key language, into the packaging form in question. Get creative; really sell the “this is your job, not mine” brand story. Make it pop.

Send them this design as an attachment with the body message that you ran the study and this produced optimal results.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Ask what a packaging study is then provide some links to some random poo poo you found on Google. Offer to buy some boxes off of temu because it's cheaper than Amazon

If other people weaponize incompetence then why not the rest of us

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CarForumPoster posted:

No they won’t.

This would be an extremely stupid and probably illegal thing to do in the US. If they do it lawyer up immediately, an employment attorney will take this on contingency.

Wait so I'm confused. Every offer letter (which I understand is not a job contract) I've ever signed has language about having to stick around for x months or else we have to pay back the sign on/relocation bonuses. Is this actually not enforceable?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

like non-competes, enforcability is totally dependent on what state you're in, it's a total crapshoot

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wait so I'm confused. Every offer letter (which I understand is not a job contract) I've ever signed has language about having to stick around for x months or else we have to pay back the sign on/relocation bonuses. Is this actually not enforceable?

What we’re discussing is called a clawback provision.

They MAY be entitled to the money. If they have a debt they can probably: ask nicely, sue you, send to collections, or some other lawful means. They’re probably NOT entitled to collect on that money from your last paycheck or from a debit from your bank account.*

*generally, in most situations, IANAL, this is not legal advice

Now whether the clawback is enforceable by those lawful means is a different question and a state by state thing. Generally yes IME but my point is the method of enforcement matters a lot.

Edit: FWIW a person I know well has gotten 2 demand letters for employer clawbacks both >$10k and paid 0 of them but it required making the right moves and having some lawyer friends craft a response. Both were from very big companies who knew the cost of a counterclaim was hilariously less than they wanted to clawback.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 18, 2024

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Ask them to email you the details, then forward the email to their boss's boss asking if they have someone to do a packaging study

Baddog
May 12, 2001
If you're actually just job hopping very quickly for little reason except to get more money - ok yes, you should probably pay it back. You wasted their time. But if the job is a complete tire fire, not what it was represented to be, I think you have grounds to push back on the *request* for a signing bonus to be returned. If you get hired to touch computers, they send you a check to do that for a year, and then when you quit your other job and show up to work for them they want you to shovel literal poo poo, there is obviously a big problem. They've wasted a chunk of your life with their bullshit, and now you *need* to look for something else. That's worth something.

If you're really worried about it, get a consult with a lawyer to get up to speed on your state's laws. And then if it comes up, tell HR to send their request in writing to your lawyer for review - if they really think they have a case and want to pursue it. Think of it as a negotiation. Maybe they are due some pro-rated amount, but the entire thing? Pshhht.

Personally, I just got honestly angry and offended and shocked that they would even think about asking, and they backed down pretty quick.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
As a long-time prisoner of clawback provisions in four different states :v:, I can tell you right away that you're going to have to check your state's laws and that our forum posts aren't going to be particularly useful compared to that information. Some states are worse than others, some are better, and the full spectrum of friendly to lovely is covered depending on where you are.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Last week's re-org meeting featured the phrase "blue sky research" with the apparent definition of "research being done for the sake of research without advancing a project." In context, "no more blue sky research will be permitted; all research must be project-coded and have an approved project cost center. The days of research just to advance research are over."

Nobody has ever once used "blue sky" correctly, have they?

It sounds like you have the same consultancy selling their latest guidance to your execs as ours! Love to see that in the wild.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CarForumPoster posted:

No they won’t.

Wait, it's probably illegal? Ok, no one will ever do that then, thank goodness.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

priznat posted:

I’ve had about 3 “table flip” moments so far this week where I strongly considered saying “gently caress this poo poo” to my boss and peace out’ing. This isn’t even related to the problem employee but all the rapid fire pivots we are being forced to do along with the inevitable being around at 9pm to start tests on a new hilariously broken bit of software. And then getting poo poo because we didn’t check it again at midnight to ensure it was still running (script crashed because no one can test anything because we don’t have any systems available to test our infrastructure on).

If another posting locally opens up I’m just applying I don’t give a poo poo about having to pay back signing bonus at this point.

You've mentioned the problem person before, but in context: are you absolutely, positively sure that they're not just the only employee with normal work environment expectations?

Because if they're wandering around in that situation repeating "what the gently caress?" in a progressively more plaintive tone of voice, they're probably not the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tactlessbastard posted:

Our indefinitely postponed North American conference was supposed to have shared rooms and I was curious if anyone has ever actually done that before because it seems like such a a crazy ask.

I mean, it’s such a hard goddamn no I can’t even….just no! Hell no! I don’t even feel like I should even have to explain why, to anyone, much less my manager

I'm told it's common in the nonprofit world.