Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Supreme Allah posted:

I like the later seasons because around S3.S4 Elaine evolves from being an annoying, badly dressed shrew into a hot corporate bitch that did hilariously petty and hateful things
Agreed, but you have to remember that is how people dressed in the late 80s/early 90s. It looks horrible to us now, but back then she wasn't out of place with her wardrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Just like Larry David! I always find myself relating to LD and seeing the validity in his points of view. There's no question his "character" on Curb is an awful person though.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Lord of Laughton posted:

I liked Susan. She was so nice :(
I just saw a recent pic of her. I never would've said she was cute back in the day when she was on Seinfeld, but she looked pretty cute now. I guess I'm just old and my tastes have broadened.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Flobbster posted:

Clitoris, but only if you put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

I've heard it pronounced both ways, and have actually heard the way that rhymes with Dolores is the correct way.

Anybody remember the sexual harrassment case that happened at Miller Brewing? A guy was talking about the episode at work, and a woman didn't understand, so he explained it to her. He was then fired. He eventually sued Miller and won I think.

EDIT:

quote:

A conversation in Milwaukee the day after the episode aired led to a lawsuit in which jurors awarded Jerold J. Mackenzie $26.6 million on July 15, 1997. Mackenzie was terminated by Miller Brewing Co. on the basis that discussing the episode with his secretary constituted sexual harassment.[2] Later, however, the lawsuit was overturned by the court of appeals, and this ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin.[3]

The name "Mulva", which is what Jerry guessed to be the name of his girlfriend, was later used as the name of an action heroine in two film spoofs, Mulva: Zombie rear end Kicker (2001) and Mulva: Kill Teen Ape (2005).
I guess he didn't win. :(

Thenipwax fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 13, 2010

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Klaus Kinski posted:

Elaine is alot funnier once you actually pay attention to her.
Sure, her clothing and hair is atrocious for the first half of the series, but for some reason I find her extremely attractive. Her character's personality makes her even more attractive.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

penis sandwich posted:

Also, I can't help but notice that whenever Jerry delivers a line, even when he's trying to be mad, he can't keep a straight face. You can always sense that once the camera is off him, he breaks down into fits of laughter. I know he's said it's because he's not an actor, but it's really obvious, especially in that Vienna clip.
You're right, but it does work with his character. He is a guy that pretty much has it all together, and his main grievances are petty little things that don't matter at all.

Seinfeld was pulling down some serious scratch in the 80s well before his show. I heard he would pull down 60k a weekend. If you view his character through that lens, it makes sense that he really wouldn't be too upset about poo poo.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
They sold the syndication rights for about 500 million if I remember correctly, so Larry and Jerry each got about 250 million off the bat.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

hall n oates mom posted:

Fairweather fans love saying this but never, ever have the juice to back it up. There was nothing wrong with late-period Seinfeld. I'm as big a fan as anyone and a shitload of my favorite eps are in that interval. You have to know what to appreciate.

The later seasons started to get ridiculous and unrealistic. Still funny, but the earlier stuff was all at least plausible. Having a Kenny Rogers' Roasted Chicken sign bathing your entire apartment in red isn't realistic.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

hall n oates mom posted:

Neither is hijacking a nazi limo, killing ancient matriarchs by dissing their toy ponies, turning purple from Tor's homeopathic medicine, foiling a lawsuit with some off-brand balm, or a linen closet packed with Today sponges. Seinfeld was never realistic as a ground rule, that's one of the resons it owns so loving much.

I know the show wasn't ever that realistic, but the later seasons just seemed more cartoonish to me. Don't get me wrong, I still love all the seasons, but the later seasons had a more over the top vibe.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Klaus Kinski posted:

One of the funniest parts is that you can sort of see what real life situation was behind most of the story lines and then the show took it to an extreme. It's also why I find season 1-2 of HIMYM so good.

I may not be 100% right, but I am pretty sure Larry David was involved in a masturbation contest, quit a job and came back like it never happened, and ate an eclair out of a garbage. I'm iffy on the last one, but I know the first two are true.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
I was just listening to the radio, and they were playing Larry King's worst interview moments, and for one he had Jerry Seinfeld on. He asked Jerry if the show got canceled, or if he ended it on his own. Jerry got pissed and asked him if he even knew who he was. It was funny. Larry King is pretty dumb.

EDIT: Transcript!

KING: It lasted how long?

SEINFELD: Nine years -- 180 episodes.

KING: You gave it up, right?

SEINFELD: I did.

KING: They didn't cancel you, you canceled them?

SEINFELD: You're not aware of this?

KING: No, I'm -- I'm asking you (INAUDIBLE).

SEINFELD: You think I got canceled?

KING: Have I hurt you...

SEINFELD: Are you under the impression that I got canceled? KING: Have I hurt you, Jerry?

SEINFELD: I thought that was pretty well documented. This is a...

KING: Don't most shows (INAUDIBLE)...

SEINFELD: Is this still CNN?

KING: Don't most shows go down a little?

SEINFELD: Most people do also.

KING: You were...

SEINFELD: But...

(LAUGHTER).

SEINFELD: Yes, no, I went off the air, I was the number one show in television, Larry.

KING: You were off...

SEINFELD: Do you know who I am?

(LAUGHTER)

KING: A Jewish guy, Brooklyn.

SEINFELD: Yes.

KING: OK.

SEINFELD: Seventy five million viewers...

KING: OK.

SEINFELD: ...the last episode.

KING: Boy, you...

SEINFELD: Was I canned?

KING: Don't take it so bad.

SEINFELD: Well, there's a big difference between being canceled and being number one.

KING: OK, I'm sorry.

Thenipwax fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 1, 2010

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Stuntman Mike posted:

When all's said and done, the show is great... but man, is Jerry ever a real douchebag.

Eh, he's got a right to be annoyed. Larry King was proud of the fact that he'd do absolutely no prep work for any interviews, and it shows.

Seinfeld also was ripping Lady Gaga recently, and I thought he might be acting like a d-bag, but he had a point there too. Somebody gave Gaga Jerry's box without his permission, and she was flipping off cameras and acting like an idiot.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Speaking of the "real" Kramer, I emailed him once and asked him if I could buy him a beer when I was in NY. He responded that he was out of town, but he'd love to meet up next time when he was in town. I sent the email as a sort of joke, and didn't expect a reply, but he wrote like a whole paragragh, and was really nice.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Diabolik900 posted:

It should be noted that Original Soup Man is a chain now, so you don't necessarily need to be in New York to try it, but I'm not sure if it has spread to the whole country yet.

I always thought the soup was very good, but not as good as the hype had led me to believe. I don't know how the chain's recipes compare to what was in the original restaurant though.

There's a place in Milwaukee called Soup Otzies and I thought it sounded suspiciously similar to Soup Nazis. Anyway, yeah I went in there and they have a bunch of pictures of the Soup Nazi and all that, but I don't actually think they're affiliated in any way. They have awesome soup though.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

robot roll call posted:

I've never heard of this place! Where is it?

It's on Howell a little south of Howard.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Flobbster posted:

They're making a Fairly OddParents live action movie, with Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines?? :aaa:

How does Cheryl Hines just get hotter and hotter? She wouldn't even get a second look from me if she still looked like Season 1 of Curb, but now she's just getting better and better looking (much like Julia Louis Dreyfuss).

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Supreme Allah posted:

They both set the bar very low to start off and work their way up as the show progresses. A lot of slightly older TV women have this syndrome - including the mom from 'Home Improvement' and the one from 'Everybody Loves Raymond'
I've seen way too many goons talking about how the Home Improvement mom is hot. She isn't, and in fact is the exact image in my mind when anybody mentions "mom jeans".

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Poque posted:

I love that "Eric" the clown was played by Jon Favreau. When I saw that on his imdb page my head nearly exploded :aaaaa:

No way! I thought it looked like him, but I never actually thought it was him.

"So what is Bozo? Is he like a clown or something?" I love that line.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Martytoof posted:

I thought I could pin down when in the series Elaine went from "80s Hair Elaine" to "Hot 90s Elaine", but the transition was really gradual that I don't think I even noticed. Probably about the time that she went to work for Mr. Pitt I guess.
I never thought she was cute or hot when I grew up with the show on, but now I find her attractive in every season. Yes, she looks much better in the later seasons, but I find her 80's hair Elaine to be cute for nostalgic reasons. I remember when girls wore those dresses. :D

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Relayer posted:

"I've got hand" -- "And you're gonna need it to jerk off with"

You're adding a bit to the quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

bruckner posted:

Why must Julia Loius-Dreyfus have botox injections, a facelift, and look like a skeleton now?
She doesn't look like she's had any of that stuff done. I think you're nuts. She's getting hotter and hotter. Unf.