Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

I also have really fond memories because it's a show I always used to watch with my Dad who finds any comedy when people torment others on a regular basis hilarious. Basil Fawltey and Manuel, Hawkeye and Frank Burns... that kind of thing. But I have never seen him laugh as much as he does at anything involving Frank Costanza yelling at or tormenting George. He still sends me a Festivus card every year.

When I was in middle school, during the end of the Seinfeld run (1996-1998) I would call my aunt every week on the phone to have a discussion with her and my dad about the most recent episode. My dad has watched the series at least 4 times (1-2 episodes/night) since it's been released on DVD, and has at least two notebooks with tons of Seinfeld quotes/observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

hall n oates mom posted:

People with no critical credentials whatsoever love saying this because it's populist and fronts a false aura of superiority while knowing they'll never be asked to qualitatively justify their reasoning. THere are no bad seasons of Seinfeld, and as a crazy fan who knows entire chunks of episodes by rote in dialogue and on-screen antics, several of my favortie episodes are in the final season (The Slicer, The Strike, The Frogger, The Dealership, The Merv Griffin Show).

Definitely agreeing here, especially since I think my favorite overall episode is "The Voice". George's fallout from Play Now! was just too perfect, not to mention it had a great cheesy running-on-the-pier montage moment with Jerry, too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

Anyways, the hilarious part is that almost a whole year later, toward the end of season 6, in the episode "The Diplomat's Club", George suspects his boss thinks he's racist, so he goes around trying to make black friends so he can introduce them to his boss & impress him.

"I'm the exterminator"

"That's... what we used to call him in high school, the exterminator. He's a linebacker. Oh, did we have some wild times."

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

K-UGER K-UGER

I'm not too worried about it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

George: I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip.

"...and their complicated shoes!"

Brian Posehn might have the greatest one-liner in the series of the show.

"What'd you get?"
"Surgeon left a sponge inside me".

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Man: I didn't know you enjoyed chess, your majesty.
King: Why wouldn't I?
Man: Because the king is always in jeopardy.
King: Yes, but it's only a game.
Man: Yes, of course. Only a game.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Shatter Map posted:

I love how apparently when Uncle Leo signs forms he signs them "Uncle Leo".

I forget which character it was (Kramer, I think) who was confused when Jerry didn't include the "Uncle" while describing a situation with Uncle Leo.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
They just started showing what I'm hoping will be the entire series in order from the first episode in syndication. I spent the entire episode admiring how well George talks with his hands - especially in the laundromat. "Signals, Jerry, signals!"

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The Guardian posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/jun/07/jerry-seinfeld-rerun-repeat-fees

Why is it that Jerry Seinfeld, the American actor who had a hit 1990s TV show named after him, is always smiling? It could it be because he is party to a little secret that has just been disclosed – that his show, Seinfeld, has made $2.7bn (£1.8bn) in repeat fees since it went off the air 12 years ago.

The astonishing figure was revealed by Barry Meyer, chairman of Warner Brothers Entertainment, which has the rights to the Seinfeld series. He told a recent conference in New York of potential investors in Time Warner that the company's backlist of titles was a "library that keeps on giving".

Hollywood Reporter notes that Meyer went on to list the earnings that have been made from Seinfeld on repeats in addition to the sums the show made from its original run of 180 episodes over nine years. In total, Seinfeld has raked in $2.3bn in reruns on regular TV channels and a further $380m on cable.

Seinfeld-related article to bump the thread!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

That can't be good for business.

That can't be good for anything.

e: I honestly found the later seasons to be more memorable, a lot of the premises stuck in my head despite the fact I only saw parts of an episode here and there long ago.

Agreed completely. The later seasons of the show had great premises and introduced awesome characters like David Puddy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Congratulations Elaine on a job...done.

Elaine: You speak Burmese?
Peterman: No Elaine, that was gibberish. So did you have any trouble finding the place?
Elaine: No, you're the only white poet warlord in the neighborhood.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

He also buys himself a watch when he retires.

It's real (It's not real).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

haljordan posted:

"Kramer, you can't live down here. This is where people come to die!"

Not you - Older people.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
"2.9% financing on a Toyota 1-ton - That was my idea too!"

Parachute
May 18, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think the primary lesson in Seinfeld is to always have a go-to preposterous sounding alias.

It's the reason I've adopted Cornelius Vanderslice as my moniker.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

Oh, I've locked myself out of my office again. All right, I'm going home.

Who said he was going to get some actual work done today? Who?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Secks posted:

I remember reading about Larry David's early stand-up and sometimes he would walk on stage, analyze the crowd, shake his head, say "Nah... this isn't going to work..." and leave.

That reminds me of when the band The Melvins would play an entire set of feedback at a music festival instead of an actual set, because their record label at the time (Atlantic) would put them on the worst bills ever.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tiny Fistpump posted:

The Money is on, great episode.

Slappy White, an alias Jerry uses that I don't remember seeing mentioned itt
Kramer spelling Seinfeld with a V over the phone and being corrected by Helen
Morty hooking his cable workout thing to Kramer's doorknob and freaking him out

etc.

Hey, same syndication buddy!

"Cheap fabric and dim lighting - that's how you move merchandise."

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Someone should make a loop of all of those for an avatar, including negatives of Frank in Korea to make it more terrifying.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You know, the stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect - after he flunked out of dental school!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Kramer: So, you sleep in separate beds.

Frank: Thirty years ago, we came to an agreement. It was the only way I could get some rest.

Kramer: Really?

Frank: Estelle's got the jimmy arms.

Kramer: You can get that in your arms?

Frank: Like you wouldn't believe.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah, we should let this place air out anyway. It smells like the last tenant had monkeys or something.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Boy, a month in Europe with Elaine. That guy's coming home in a body bag.

Edit: I honestly can not understand why people can dislike season 9 of this show. The first episode "The Butter Shave" is a perfect lead-in to "The Voice" which I think might be my favorite episode of the series.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 27, 2010

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Is there any way you guys could draw some diagrams of how you think the move should be performed? I mean, as long as we're over-analyzing this fictional sexual act and all.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Druggachusettes posted:

Elaine: That's better than your drawings of naked Lois Lane.

Jerry: Where did you see that? Those are private!

I love Jerry's "outrage" tone so much. "You should have seen me last year - I got jiggy with it!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Jerry: I do really like this coffee shop. Nice cuff links, by the way.

George: Office Christmas gift. I tell you, this Human Fund is a gold mine!

Jerry: That's not a French cuff shirt, you know.

George: I know. I cut the button off and poked a hole with a letter opener.

Jerry: Oh, that's classy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Armacham posted:

Oh wow, so that's what Jerry meant by "the swirl"! It's all so clear to me now.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cane Break posted:

Has anybody ever noticed that on a shelf in The Hot Tub Kramer has a bunch more pasta figurines?

Yeah! You can also see at least two when Silvio looks in to Kramer's apartment through the reverse peephole.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 10, 2010

Parachute
May 18, 2003

T-Paine posted:

The scenes of Kramer getting his mind blown are the best, like when Jerry points out that he's also thin, late 30s, and single and by Kramer's logic also gay, or when Elaine tells him that he might also have a fax machine in his apartment. "You just blew my mind!"

Also, Kramer at the 'nexus of the universe'.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You ate more bread?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I just realized that on Facebook I have yet (since 2004) to change my "About Me" section and it still reads "My neck is one gargantuan monkey fist".

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

Finder's fee? It was on the lot!

yeah that's right

It's a misprint. What do you got, a Clarkman?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I defy you to come up with a better name than "Seven".

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kevyn posted:

George, you decided to get a rug? Good for you, Jack!

She won't talk to anyone, huh? Oh no, she won't say a word to anybody. Well, she's talking a blue streak now, Jack!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Sash! posted:

I'm almost at Costanza levels of anger that Seinfeld isn't on Netflix.

The HD up-conversions (is that the correct term?) they show on TBS are great. Are they ever planning on selling those in any form?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Nice, I haven't seen the "Slime" tag beneath the rating since "Flubber". Also, "Intense elderly sex" yields an r-rating on its own for sure.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

And a poorly made one. Even by rat hat standards.

*knock knock* Are these alive? *knock*

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Elaine, of course I'm concerned - I'm paying for those meals! It's like throwing money down the toilet.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

potee posted:

Another solarium?

Quite a find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

T. Butt posted:

Oh, well. Crackers in a bowl. That...that could be a meal.

The arguing of the semantics of various everyday bullshit is one of my favorite parts of the show. That and the awesome physical gestures, plus the word-repeating that's done in a lot of the dialogue.