Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«48 »
Smee
Sep 24, 2004

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...n_n_549290.html

quote:

PHOENIX Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama on Friday and signed into law a bill supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's gateway for human and drug smuggling.

With hundreds of protesters outside the state Capitol shouting that the bill would lead to civil rights abuses, Brewer said critics were "overreacting" and that she wouldn't tolerate racial profiling.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act," Brewer said after signing the law. "But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation."

Earlier Friday, Obama called the Arizona bill "misguided" and instructed the Justice Department to examine it to see if it's legal. He also said the federal government must enact immigration reform at the national level or leave the door open to "irresponsibility by others."

"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

The legislation, sent to the Republican governor by the GOP-led Legislature, makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It also requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants, allows lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws, and make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.

The Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund said it plans a legal challenge to the law, arguing it "launches Arizona into a spiral of pervasive fear, community distrust, increased crime and costly litigation, with nationwide repercussions."

Brewer ordered the state's law enforcement licensing agency to develop a training course on how to implement the law while respecting civil rights.

The bill will take effect in late July or early August.

Story continues below

At the Capitol, some 2,000 protesters booed county Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox when she announced that "the governor did not listen to our prayers."

"It's going to change our lives," said Emilio Almodovar, a 13-year-old American citizen from Phoenix. "We can't walk to school any more. We can't be in the streets anymore without the pigs thinking we're illegal immigrants."

Brewer signed the bill in a state auditorium about a mile from the Capitol complex where demonstrators have protested the legislation since the measure was approved by lawmakers on Monday. Their numbers grew steadily throughout the week, with buses bringing protesters from as far away as Los Angeles.

Brewer, who faces a tough election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, said the law "protects every Arizona citizen."

Anti-immigrant anger has swelled in the past month, after rancher Rob Krentz was found dead on his land north of Douglas, near the Mexico border. Authorities believe he was fatally shot by an illegal immigrant possibly connected to a drug smuggling cartel.

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants, and its harsh, remote desert serves as the corridor for the majority of illegal immigrants and drugs moving north into the U.S. from Mexico.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva, a Democrat, said he closed his Arizona offices at noon Friday after his staff in Yuma and Tucson were flooded with calls this week, some from people threatening violent acts and shouting racial slurs. He called on businesses and groups looking for convention and meeting locations to boycott Arizona.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

So the impression I'm getting is this: It's now illegal to look like a brown person in Arizona, and boy howdy you better have your legal citizenship documentation handy for when the police decide to stroll up and harass you simply for not being white.

God I love our forward-thinking and progressive nation sometimes

Edit: added some emphasis to show what racist loving pieces of poo poo Brewer and Pearce are

Edit 2: Summary of the bill, for those of you who have more patience reading these things than I. http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/...070pshs.doc.htm

Smee fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2010 around 23:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stashman
Jan 30, 2007

Well, it's about drat time.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007

I woke up just in time to turn on the TV and watch her sign it. Way to ruin my afternoon Jan Brewer

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

It's a disgrace and will be appealed almost immediately. I bet Sheriff Joe Arpaio is already creaming in his jeans over this. Arpaio loves persecuting immigrants, illegal or otherwise. He loves busting people for Driving While Brown.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

If you liked it,
then you should have put a ring on it.

This is going to get challenged in court, and quickly. It's terrible, though.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

We'll always have our memories won't we? Those special memories that Ill always treasure. You, writhing from the jellyfish sting, me, urinating on the wound.

No, it is not illegal to be brown in Arizona. It merely relegates every single one of them to second class citizenship.

Way to alienate Latino voters, GOP.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Racial profiling is prohibited and the main thrust of the authority part of the bill is to prohibit local municipalities from clashing with state authority to enforce immigration laws.

Xie posted:

This is going to get challenged in court, and quickly. It's terrible, though.
And how is it unconstitutional?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Property value goes up and cheap labor goes down. That ought to send those Canadians back to where they came from.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

While I don't really see the point of this law, I don't really see the problem with it, either. If enforced properly, the police will only ask for proof of citizenship if they doubt it. Sure, you'll have some cops harassing people, but people already get harassed. This won't affect legal citizens at all.

Poizen Jam
Dec 2, 2006

Poi, Zen, Jam.

Stashman posted:

Well, it's about drat time.

Now that we've got that out of the way...

Seriously, this is one of the most blatantly racist policies I've seen in quite some time. I wonder how many white people are going to be stopped for suspicion of illegal immigration?

And this policy will not do anything it's intended to. Perhaps immigration reform is what you need, not policies to kick the browns out.

Loopyface posted:

While I don't really see the point of this law, I don't really see the problem with it, either. If enforced properly, the police will only ask for proof of citizenship if they doubt it. Sure, you'll have some cops harassing people, but people already get harassed. This won't affect legal citizens at all.

Oh come on, you know as well as I do that there is gonna be some racial profiling because of this. I don't care what supposed 'security' this legislation bestows, the psychological damage and discrimination people will face because of this racial profiling is not acceptable.

Poizen Jam fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2010 around 23:26

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sort of curious how this would lower taxes...

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

The police are forced into racist judgment?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm sort of curious how this would lower taxes...

Arizona spends over a billion dollars annually on unfunded federal mandates that cover illegal immigrants residing in the state.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

I think it is fine if they ask for this sort of proper identification from any and every single person a cop has to approach.

derriere demons
Aug 16, 2008

Honestly this doesn't go far enough. Why don't we just round up every dark-skinned person in Arizona and put them in holding camps until we can be sure they're legal? In fact, if you ARE brown and legal, you need some sort of identification to prove it. Like, something visible. Why don't we make all brown people in Arizona wear armbands to show that they're legal!

I'm a genius.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

Yeah Obama ain't too happy with it, I can't see the bill lasting too long

http://whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com...responsibility/

Obama posted:

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," Obama said. "That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe."

vvvv see, I don't necessarily have any beef against the concept, it's the execution and the power it gives cops that I have a huge problem with.

Gomegoth
Oct 8, 2009

quote:

makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally.

I am shocked. Shocked.

Edit: VVVVV Let's all emigrate to THEIR country and see how THEY like it.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Quick guys, someone put out a working and practical solution to the immigration problem!

derriere demons
Aug 16, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Quick guys, someone put out a working and practical solution to the immigration problem!

*ahem* I just did, Mr.King. I think you'll find my idea practical AND cost effective.

But seriously gently caress this bill and the moron red-neck racists who think it's a good idea.

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

Loopyface posted:

For real? It won't affect legal white citizens, but if you look Mexican they're gonna ask you every time they stop you for your papers. There's no way for them not to racially profile with this bill.

btw, what constitutes proof of your citizenship? Does it have to be an Arizona drivers license, or will any work?

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

Make the nation of Mexico our 51st state!!

Edit: 51th? jesus.

Smee fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2010 around 23:31

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Smee posted:

Make the nation of Mexico our 51th state!!

My knee jerk reaction is surprisingly not against that.

derriere demons
Aug 16, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

My knee jerk reaction is surprisingly not against that.

Hey, if we do it, maybe the rest of the states will get mid-day siestas! Nap at work motherfucker, you know you want to!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Combat Scarf posted:

For real? It won't affect legal white citizens, but if you look Mexican they're gonna ask you every time they stop you for your papers. There's no way for them not to racially profile with this bill.

btw, what constitutes proof of your citizenship? Does it have to be an Arizona drivers license, or will any work?

You don't really have to look Mexican. Any cop who dislikes you for any reason can gently caress with you and make up a reason why he thought you were foreign. Hope every person in Arizona likes carrying their birth certificate/passport/Social Security card etc. with them everywhere they go at all times.

Gomegoth
Oct 8, 2009

Smee posted:

Make the nation of Mexico our 51th state!!

Did you know that we have territories?

Actually, now I'm curious. How would these people would feel if Puerto Ricans came into the state and took all the minimum wage jobs?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

I was surprised at the border patrol stops down in Arizona when I was there. A guy told me his NA wife was harassed all the time by them every time she drove to Tucson.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Winks posted:

Racial profiling is prohibited and the main thrust of the authority part of the bill is to prohibit local municipalities from clashing with state authority to enforce immigration laws.

Because Hiibel V Nevada states the only requirement is to verbally identify yourself.

Think about it. There is no requirement to have any form of government ID so it would be stupid to have a law requiring it.

You may want to add this to the OP:

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/...070pshs.doc.htm

It's a summary of the bill. The ID isn't the only dogshit in there. They basically make hiring day laborers illegal too.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Combat Scarf posted:

Any legal identification document that you can't obtain as a illegal immigrant. So, as an example, any driver's license from a state that doesn't allow illegal immigrants to get one would qualify.

TLG James posted:

A guy told me his NA wife was harassed all the time by them every time she drove to Tucson.
I'm whiter than white and even I've been "harrassed" by BP. It's their job.

EDIT:
^^^^^^^^

I'm like 90% sury Hiibel didn't override Terry. And while there's no requirement to have any form of government ID, government ID isn't the only thing you can use to verify.

Winks fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2010 around 23:39

3 Sided Die
Jan 24, 2009

TLG James posted:

I was surprised at the border patrol stops down in Arizona when I was there. A guy told me his NA wife was harassed all the time by them every time she drove to Tucson.
I'm NA too, its a pain in the dick going to mexico and back because I look like a mexican.

Gstu
Dec 19, 2005

Ugh. As an Arizonan, it makes me sad that my vote wasn't enough to outweigh the votes that put our lawmakers into office. That having been said the amount of people who are perfectly fine with this here is also ridiculous. We'll see how long it lasts.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

If you liked it,
then you should have put a ring on it.

Winks posted:

Off the top of my head, the conditions for reasonable suspicion, while low, aren't "nothing." You cannot just pass a law authorizing an expansion of Terry stops just because you say so, which I believe they will argue this does.

Hibel extends Terry stops to identification, but they're going to attempt to call the law overbroad because it sets no line for what conditions must be met before an officer can inquire.

When you want to infringe on a right like this the burden of proof is really, really heavily on the State's side, and this law is really overbroad and will get stuck down like almost all stop-and-ID laws have.

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

Loopyface posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

I was going to post this thread earlier but I got sidetracked watching twitter and the live newsfeed and raging to myself.

Also I predicted that riots would occur downtown and they did!

Yes, we blow too much money in AZ because of illegal aliens but man this is the most disgusting thing I have seen in a long time.

Mayor Gordon is planning on going to court over this so hopefully there will be an overturn.

Dusseldorf
Mar 29, 2005

Loopyface posted:

The point is so the cops can get carte blanche to hassle brown people and you don't have a problem?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Loopyface posted:

Haha,

Well now you can "see":

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Man-sa...e-91769419.html

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

"You got to be one of the good guys, cause there's way too many of the bad."

I'm having a hearty laugh at those who think this is benign.

Oryx and Friends
Nov 5, 2009

Arizona I came up with a solution - don't make legal immigration loving impossible

Dusseldorf
Mar 29, 2005

Smee posted:

Make the nation of Mexico our 51st state!!

You mean 51st to 81st states.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Zigmidge posted:

I'm having a hearty laugh at those who think this is benign.

Well the governor is going to have training for this so the police won't abuse it.

See you have to retrain them because they may fall back on common sense about upholding the constitution which they are sworn to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

Oryx and Friends posted:

Arizona I came up with a solution - don't make legal immigration loving impossible

We don't want anybody else stay out.

«48 »