Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nenonen posted:

Conscription.

And Nationalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And Nationalism

Artillery

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nenonen posted:

Conscription.

As an example, when the French limped back into Germany with about 12,000 men they looked beat, but in a surprising move, Napoleon began his 1813 campaign with more than 600,000 men again. No other nation before France at the time could sustain that kind of loss and come back. Now Napoleon squandered his opportunity to negotiate some kind of settlement at this point, and his army of 1813 was nowhere near as capable as the one that preceded it, but still, that's an impressive feat.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ograbme posted:

What were Napoleon's secrets to success? A clever gimmick, luck, balls, genius, or ???
Tinned food.

Stocking and replenishing an army is one of the more expensive things in the books, the air conditioning costs for the American Army leaps into the millions, and that's just one small element of logistics.

Going back to earlier times one importance of capturing towns was to loot it of supplies to replenish your supplies. Seasonal variations also limited when an army could effectively march as there would be less on hand to eat during winter.

In the early 1800's a reward was offered for anyone who could discover a cheap way to preserve large amounts of food. The first form was an Appert Canning jar, by cooking food in the jar and sealing it in a vacuum so no air escapes the food essentially stays fresh for years. The mason jar in the 1850's was an improvement on the same principles, notably the screw top and a rubber seal that would shrink as it cooled.

These jars were replaced by canisters of tin, as it's cheaper to roll out and cut than glass is. The Dutch were known to have a similar method of preserving smoked salmon in iron boxes but these weren't much different than the usual preservation of salting and smoking.
Bayonets were the first can opener. Usually followed by shooting it open in frustration as the tin was quite thick.

The benefits are enormous for an army, you are now able to quickly deliver meat and veg across a wide area without spoiling or having to cart around additional animals to feed and slaughter. Post Napoleonic wars the British Army took up the slack of refining canned goods.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 7, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Flippycunt posted:

Theres a youtube video where they test them, and yes they actually work way better than you'd think. The arrows get tangled up in them instead of hitting the dude.

I can't find the video though.

Yeah, they stop some, but of those that do get through most have lost the power to pierce the body armour.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WebDog posted:

The mason jar in the 1850's was the forerunner.

Is this a misuse of a word or typo?

If it's one of those, then it's a cool fact.

Otherwise, it's kind of pointless.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Anyone know how long it would take to analyze the trajectory of such a launch to verify that they weren't nuking Taiwan or Japan?

Longer than it would take to volley off a dozen ICBMs in response. Which is why the US and USSR both abandoned that particular ridiculous idea 40 years ago. The DF-21D isn't just vaporware it's also a basically suicidal weapon.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 7, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Longer than it would take to volley off a dozen ICBMs in response. Which is why the US and USSR both abandoned that particular ridiculous idea 40 years ago. The DF-21D isn't just vaporware it's also a basically suicidal weapon.

Granted, it's not like they have a monopoly on retarded ideas.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Granted, it's not like they have a monopoly on retarded ideas.

Occasionally though someone comes up with a really awesome retarded idea.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Oxford Comma posted:

Speaking of samurai, I once saw a picture of a samurai who had a big sheet tied to his neck and waist. As he road, the sheet inflated and was supposed to deflect arrows. Was a sheet used like this, and was it effective?

As mentioned it is called a horo, and while it did have certain defensive properties, it definitely had the result of the wearer sticking out. This is the reason why it was used by mounted messengers, so that friendly troops knew to quickly make way and the generals could easily see if a messenger was approaching. By using different colours on different messengers, you could even spot who the message came from easily.

Another common wearer of a horo was bodyguard troops, who also liked to stick out.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Indian Navy has operated an effective and useful carrier air arm for years, and have flown lots of sorties against the Pakistanis in their various wars. India is a much poorer/less well run country than China. You can't measure progress using the USN as a yardstick for everything.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Occasionally though someone comes up with a really awesome retarded idea.

What the gently caress? Did they really just airdrop and launch an ICBM?

Thats pretty amazing.

\/ Varyag, its the same class as the one the Russians actually operate. It ain't no Nimitz class, but if it were operational, its not a shitbox.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 7, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Isn't the aircraft carrier that China is working on just some recommissioned Russian shitbox?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
They just need it floating as a trainer for carrier operations. Doesn't need to be able to stand toe-to-toe against a Nimitz battle group or anything.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is this a misuse of a word or typo?
Whups, the mason jar came after. Fixed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Indian Navy has operated an effective and useful carrier air arm for years, and have flown lots of sorties against the Pakistanis in their various wars. India is a much poorer/less well run country than China. You can't measure progress using the USN as a yardstick for everything.

India and China's carrier needs are different, though. China already has the capability to win a fight for Taiwan and the South China Sea - they've got hundreds of anti-ship ballistic missiles on the mainland to win the fight with a USN carrier group there. The reason they are trying to develop a carrier arm is because they are looking to the East. They are reliant on oil coming from the Middle East through the Indian Ocean, and particularly on the Straights of Malacca being open to their shipping. That's out from under the umbrella of their land-based assets. So they need a carrier arm that can sail away from shore and win a fight with whoever they are fighting. That's why I think the USN is a reasonable comparison - they're trying to fulfill a mission that India's Navy just doesn't have on its plate, and that the USN does. And it's one that they haven't done since the Sung dynasty, so it's reasonable to expect that they couldn't do it right now.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How much naval tradition did India inherit from the UK?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

gohuskies posted:

India and China's carrier needs are different, though. China already has the capability to win a fight for Taiwan and the South China Sea - they've got hundreds of anti-ship ballistic missiles on the mainland to win the fight with a USN carrier group there. The reason they are trying to develop a carrier arm is because they are looking to the East. They are reliant on oil coming from the Middle East through the Indian Ocean, and particularly on the Straights of Malacca being open to their shipping. That's out from under the umbrella of their land-based assets. So they need a carrier arm that can sail away from shore and win a fight with whoever they are fighting. That's why I think the USN is a reasonable comparison - they're trying to fulfill a mission that India's Navy just doesn't have on its plate, and that the USN does. And it's one that they haven't done since the Sung dynasty, so it's reasonable to expect that they couldn't do it right now.

The Indians do all of those things. Warships have uses other than "pitched battle with the USN on the high seas".

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Indians do all of those things. Warships have uses other than "pitched battle with the USN on the high seas".

The Indians could not hold the Straights of Malacca against a USN carrier battle group. The Chinese want to be able to. It's pretty simple. And warships do things other than pitched battle on the high seas, but that is what China wants its fleet to be able to do, at some point in the future, and that's why they are starting a carrier arm and why that arm has a long ways to go.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

gohuskies posted:

The Indians could not hold the Straights of Malacca against a USN carrier battle group. The Chinese want to be able to. It's pretty simple. And warships do things other than pitched battle on the high seas, but that is what China wants its fleet to be able to do, at some point in the future, and that's why they are starting a carrier arm and why that arm has a long ways to go.

The Americans were actively arming the Pakistanis and supplying them by sea in 1971.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/History/1971War/Games.html

quote:

INS Vikrant was on patrol north of Andaman Islands blocking the approaches to Chittagong when, on December 15th, late in the evening, the BBC announced the entry of the 'Big-E' task force in the Bay of Bengal. The broadcast added that the U.S. task force was to make for Chittagong to evacuate the stranded American citizens. This was a bolt from the blue. I conjured up a situation of a direct confrontation. I waited for instructions from the Naval Headquarters but none arrived. It was later at night that I decided to proceed south anyway, to intercept the 'Big-E' before she could enter the war zone. It was near midnight when the Midshipman on Watch approached me on the bridge and sought permission to ask a question. I nodded, and he said, "Sir, what would you do when you sight the Big-E?" This question was no doubt uppermost on my mind, but without any hesitation I replied, "You do not have to worry, young man. America is a friendly country, so I would wish the captain of the 'Big E' a good morning and ask him what I could do for him." The midshipman was not convinced and added, "What if the 'Big-E' opened fire against us?" I replied, "I have been educated in the Naval War College, and I understand the American psychology well. If the 'Big-E' attacks us, Abraham Lincoln would be turning in his grave."

Throughout that night INS Vikrant continued her sortie south, and our air recce covered an area to a depth of 500 miles. There was no sign of the U.S. task force, so in the absence of any instruction from the Naval Headquarters I turned back north to rejoin my patrol area. As the day dawned, BBC broadcast amplified its earlier report: that having entered the Bay of Bengal from the Malacca Straits, the U.S. task force had proceeded west instead of going north to Chittagong. On reflection I felt that my reactions in the warlike situation proved the value of my tenure at the NCC. As a postscript to this anecdote, soon after the victory of the Indian Armed Forces, one of the foreign celebrities that visited India was the renowned naval leader Admiral S.G. Gorshkov, Chief of the Soviet Navy. During his visit to Bombay he came onboard INS Vikrant. I had known the Admiral well earlier during my tenure in Moscow as the Indian Naval Attaché. The Admiral congratulated me and asked, "Were you worried about a battle against the American carrier?" He answered himself: "Well, you had no reason to be worried, as I had a Soviet nuclear submarine trailing the American task force all the way into the Indian Ocean."

I thought to myself, it is not easy to convert a cold war into a hot war. Cold war is brinkmanship and only posturing. When the chips are down, you do not play cat and mouse games but come prepared to hit hard to vanquish your adversary.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

One thing to note is that countries don't always stop trading when they are at war. Logic dictates they should, but history shows otherwise.

So you think if the Chinese and US start skirmishing that Chinese ships will be allowed to land in South Korea, Japan, and the US? For China and the US even a slapfight war would be utterly awful, it would just be worse for China. Add in the lack of popular support in China and you have a grade A clusterfuck.

gohuskies posted:

The Indians could not hold the Straights of Malacca against a USN carrier battle group. The Chinese want to be able to. It's pretty simple.

China wants to have capacities, however the straights of Malacca would be literally the worst possible place they could ever send a ship. Indonesia and Malaysia have known racial tensions between ethnic Malay muslims and ethnic Chinese, Nobody in the ASEAN region likes China except maybe Myanmar, and the tactical advantages of getting yourself surrounded in a space that is small and has massive traffic of non military vessels.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

uinfuirudo posted:

China wants to have capacities, however the straights of Malacca would be literally the worst possible place they could ever send a ship.

Strait of Malacca. :eng101:

There's also a plan to build a canal across the Kra isthmus in Thailand with Chinese funding. This would not only shorten the oil route and make it safe from pirates, but also allow supertankers to use it, as the Malacca Strait is too shallow for the big 'uns. If the Chinese are willing to dish out 20-30 billion dollars for it, then presumably they would also want to be able to protect their investment in the case of an emergency, like if there was a revolution in Thailand.

But that's okay, Suez crisis has always been the coolest cold war gently caress up to me.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

gohuskies posted:

India and China's carrier needs are different, though. China already has the capability to win a fight for Taiwan and the South China Sea - they've got hundreds of anti-ship ballistic missiles on the mainland to win the fight with a USN carrier group there.

I'm sorry but the ASBM thing is a pet peeve of mine.

China doesn't have hundreds of any sort of ballistic missile let alone the fabled DF-21D that nobody has actually seen tested.

Edit: My arguments are more convincing when they're properly spelled.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 7, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sorry but the ASBM thing is a pet peeve of mine.

China have hundreds of any sort of ballistic missile let alone the fabled DF-21D that nobody has actually seen tested.

I should have noted that they are mostly cruise missiles, not ballistic missiles. But still, they can do plenty of damage. The point is that China has a pretty reasonable ability to win a fight near its coast, and it wants to extend that ability through a carrier arm to allow it to protect its shipping routes through the Indian Ocean and East Indies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What were the NATO/WP plans for Berlin in case of a full out war?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Cross of Iron is a movie set on the East Front, but it is more about interpersonal beef in the chain of command and the unit than the actual history of the war. It is a Sam Peckinpah and those familiar with his work will know that he has a pretty brutal and sometimes overly convoluted style. It's pretty good though, and they take a lot of effort into making the combat scenes historically accurate. I don't imagine it is on Netflix but if you have a local video rental place that might carry such movies, it is probably worth a watch. Tarantino said it was his #1 inspiration for Inglourious Basterds, and it was voted the greatest film ever made by something called Cinemag, so those ought to count for something.

Turns out the entire movie is actually on Youtube, if watching it in poor quality is your thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuWs8CE0zU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Watch it getting nuked and then promptly die due to nuke-related complications, probably.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Nenonen posted:

The citizens of West Berlin and the Berlin Brigade become martyrs to the cause. "Remember West Berlin!" becomes the rallying cry for NATO troops on the North German Plain and Fulda Gap.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
To take Orwell's title, it seems like Britain would definitely become Airstrip One for American planes. That is if nuclear war didn't break out. Which in itself is a good question, I mean it seems entirely possible some incident could escalate into war between NATO and Warsaw, but does either side really have the balls to launch a nuclear weapon, even a smaller tactical one, because everyone knows the end result of just one being launched.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
What was Plan B if Operation Overlord failed, and the Allies got pushed back into the sea? Was it, "Welp, we'll try again next year" or something else?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Much more in resources devoted to the Italian campaign followed by a two prong assualt around Switzerland?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Amused to Death posted:

Much more in resources devoted to the Italian campaign followed by a two prong assualt around Switzerland?

Either that, or "let's see what can kill more Germans: Russians or fire."

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

What was Plan B if Operation Overlord failed, and the Allies got pushed back into the sea? Was it, "Welp, we'll try again next year" or something else?
It would all depend on how badly it would fail. If the landings failed, a focus on Italy and bombings would seem a good guess. Maybe some small assaults or feints to keep them on their toes.

However, if they're pushed back into the sea after taking a reasonable area of France, that'd be a whole different situation. The loss of material and lives might put the allies in a more defensively minded mood. But at that point, it doesn't matter. The pressure the offensive took off the Red Army, as well as the damage it caused, should be enough to let - well, not really let, because it'd have happened anyway - the Soviet Union continue their push and would probably end with Europe being liberated by the Russians.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, as the hardest Normandy battles were taking place, the Soviets were just launching Bagration. If Germany wasn't out of the game by August 1945, then it becomes a possibility that USA would have dropped the first A bomb on a German city rather than Japan.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also Stalin would have been pissed if the long awaited second front had to be abandoned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also Stalin would have been pissed if the long awaited second front had to be abandoned.

And what would he have done about it, set up puppet governments all across Eastern Europe?

Actually he might just have fully occupied Germany, which would not have been a good thing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

R. Mute posted:

However, if they're pushed back into the sea after taking a reasonable area of France, that'd be a whole different situation. The loss of material and lives might put the allies in a more defensively minded mood. But at that point, it doesn't matter. The pressure the offensive took off the Red Army, as well as the damage it caused, should be enough to let - well, not really let, because it'd have happened anyway - the Soviet Union continue their push and would probably end with Europe being liberated by the Russians.

"Liberated". It would've been Red Alert all over again.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was Italy, of course.

Boiled Water posted:

"Liberated". It would've been Red Alert all over again.
Wouldn't be out of the question that Western Europe would've actually been liberated. Stalin was big into spheres of influence and wouldn't have risked pissing off the rest of the Allies for something he didn't even want. But they'd have a lot of influence in those countries anyway.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Oxford Comma posted:

Operation Dragoon (the invasion of Vichy France from the south) would have been launched to divert German resources away from Normandy. Instead it was launched about two months later to divert German resources away from Paris (of the 300,000 Axis troops in Vichy France about half were killed or captured, so it was quite successful).

I think there was also a planned invasion of Yugoslavia but I can't remember what it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Churchill desperately wanted an invasion of the Balkans because he was loving stupid.

• Locked thread