Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This stuff is fascinating. Know anything about the early years of gunpowder war? At what point were firearms considered a viable weapon as opposed to a sideshow that frightened horses and levies? The 16th century? The 17th? How did tactics change as a result?

From my weak understanding of the period, it seems like there was just a sudden and abrupt jump between spears, bows, and swords to the arquebus. My understanding must be flawed, so maybe you could tell me about the adoption of hand-held firearms in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was under the impression (mistaken, maybe) that nuclear arms simply were not ready by the time Germany surrendered.

edit: not that I disagree about the racism.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I hate how threads like these always turn into "Let's Talk About World War II."

Let's talk about some Ancient History, eh?

Who was a better general, Scipio Africanus or Hannibal of Carthage?

I ain't no expert but judging by the fact that Rome survived and Carthage didn't I'd have to hand the belt to Scipio.

edit: beaten like Carthage

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

^^: For small arms, at least, I'd guess that a lot of supplies (especially ammunition) were dealt with by issuing pounds of lead and gunpowder to the various units, which would then use bullet molds and fill up their apostles or cartridges, depending on era.

But then what about spare parts? And cannonballs? Those were iron! I see your point.

Chade Johnson posted:

Oh ok we murdered foreigners in later wars, so it makes it ok to murder Americans. These were people just trying to survive a war that was taking place hundred of miles away. They weren't soldiers or even guerilla fighters. The fact that some people see him as a great general is sickening. He wasn't pounding Baghdad with artillery from a computer, he was pillaging and starving his own people.

He caused a lot of deaths. I don't think we're saying that makes him a nice man. He's our favorite because he's interesting. And all that starvation and horror helped break the South. Without that the bastards might have fought on. What the United States needed was unconditional surrender, and that's what it got.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 9, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Was there any one battle that lead western European powers to go 'gently caress it, this knight and arrows bullshit is finished' or was there more of a gradual change towards more shot-heavy armies?

I know that the Spanish tercios experienced a gradual change over their lifetimes, but then there were dramatic and to my vision sudden leaps in gunpowder warfare such as Jan Zizka's wagons from the Hussite wars. Were there any battles that really cemented that guns were the new in thing?

edit: also can a Brit tell me a little bit about your civil war?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

A few war history overview articles that are quite interesting.
The First Modern War And the Last Ancient War
On the American Civil War, written by an amateur historian/Geology professor.

I'mma quote something from this guy:

this guy posted:

... the C.S.S. Hunley. About 12 meters long with a crew of two officers and six sailors, it was powered by steam.
THE HUNLEY WAS NOT POWERED BY STEAM--it was made from a boiler.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

XII (the warrior king, my rear end. Fucker singlehandedly lost us our status as a great power. /derail)

In a military history thread that's nowhere near a derail. Speak!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rapacity posted:

I've really enjoyed this thread and, as a great number of questions are about WWII, I can't recommend the documentary The World at War highly enough. It was broadcast in 1973 and, as such, contains a great number of first hand interviews and accounts of the war from the perspective of most major nations involved.

It'll take you a while to get through but, if you're like me, you'll be hooked from the beginning. There are no reconstructions or actors; just immense amounts of actual (and harrowing) footage. Total running time must be about 25 hours but it's well worth it.

The whole thing is up on Youtube and I've linked the first part of each episode below so that you can see which order they come in. They're all several parts long and those can be easily found in related vids for each respective one.

The World at War

Episode 1: A New Germany: 1933-1939
Episode 2: Distant War: September 1939-May 1940
Episode 3: France Falls: May-June 1940
Episode 4: Alone: May 1940-May 1941
Episode 5: Barbarossa: June-December 1941
Episode 6: Banzai! Japan: 1931-1942
Episode 7: On Our Way: U.S.A. - 1939-1942
Episode 8: The Desert: North Africa - 1940-1943
Episode 9: Stalingrad: June 1942-February 1943
Episode 10: Wolf Pack: U-Boats in the Atlantic - 1939-1944
Episode 11: Red Star: The Soviet Union - 1941-1943
Episode 12: Whirlwind: Bombing Germany - September 1939-April 1944
Episode 13: Tough Old Gut: Italy - November 1942-June 1944
Episode 14: It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow: Burma - 1942-1944
Episode 15: Home Fires: Britain - 1940-1944
Episode 16: Inside the Reich: Germany - 1940-1944
Episode 17: Morning: June-August 1944
Episode 18: Occupation: Holland - 1940-1944
Episode 19: Pincers: August 1944-March 1945
Episode 20: Genocide: 1941-1945
Episode 21: Nemesis: Germany - February-May 1945
Episode 22: Japan: 1941-1945
Episode 23: Pacific: February 1942-July 1945
Episode 24: The Bomb: February-September 1945
Episode 25: Reckoning: 1945... and After
Episode 26: Remember

Won't be news to the op but I hope at least someone watches these who may have missed them otherwise.

Hey guys, quoting this from several months ago. It deserves to be seen again and I'm seeing a lot of nicks here I don't remember.

edit: disregard, the video got a DMCA. I'll try to find a working link tomorrow.

edit 2: some are up, and some are down. Will flesh out tomorrow if zee germans don't get me.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 4, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Agreed. Can you tell us anything about the role of the Ottoman Empire in WWI?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Konstantin posted:

How did Russia maintain sovereignty over so much land in the 18th and 19th centuries? They have always been the largest 'western' country. What kept the locals loyal to the Tsar when Moscow was thousands of miles away? Also, how come they didn't expand more in the Far East? It seems that they could have taken Mongolia, northern China, and possibly Korea and made them Russian colonies during the mid 19th century before Japan became a world power.

I've taken a class on Chinese history and read a book on Russian history, so hopefully I don't butcher this too badly (if I do then please correct me):

Russia didn't fully 'expand' into the lands it claimed until the mid-19th century. Until then, the locals probably didn't even know that their lands were property of the Tsar. These areas weren't really incorporated into the Russian state until after the 1917 revolution.

The reasons the Russian tsars didn't try to expand to the east much was because of simple logistics. It was hard to march an army across Russia to China. As far as I know it was only done a couple times in the 16th century, and both times ended in rather ignominious Russian defeats; the Tsar ended up ceding eastern lands to China each time. This is the main reason (aside from difficulties on the home front) that the Russians didn't participate in the great chinese land-grab following the Opium Wars as fast as the other European powers.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

...and if you didn't live near the sea?

Pour salt into lakewater and then boil it, duh :v:

As far as I'm aware, human cultures tend (with enough exceptions to make it a weak tendency) to accumulate near places with both fresh and salt water, like, say, the Nile delta or the Greek city-states or Tenochtitlan (if I remember right, at least part of the lake there was salty.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, I posted the following in response to a question about Russian sovereignty and Sino-Russian relations in the colonial era, but I'm really not certain about it.

The question:

Konstantin posted:

How did Russia maintain sovereignty over so much land in the 18th and 19th centuries? They have always been the largest 'western' country. What kept the locals loyal to the Tsar when Moscow was thousands of miles away? Also, how come they didn't expand more in the Far East? It seems that they could have taken Mongolia, northern China, and possibly Korea and made them Russian colonies during the mid 19th century before Japan became a world power.
The response:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I've taken a class on Chinese history and read a book on Russian history, so hopefully I don't butcher this too badly (if I do then please correct me):

Russia didn't fully 'expand' into the lands it claimed until the mid-19th century. Until then, the locals probably didn't even know that their lands were property of the Tsar. These areas weren't really incorporated into the Russian state until after the 1917 revolution.

The reasons the Russian tsars didn't try to expand to the east much was because of simple logistics. It was hard to march an army across Russia to China. As far as I know it was only done a couple times in the 16th century, and both times ended in rather ignominious Russian defeats; the Tsar ended up ceding eastern lands to China each time. This is the main reason (aside from difficulties on the home front) that the Russians didn't participate in the great chinese land-grab following the Opium Wars as fast as the other European powers.

Any chance someone could correct me here? And/or provide more details? The second part's a really interesting question, and I'd love to know more about it. It kinda got lost in the tank fight.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That really depends on who has more supplies of food/whether the defenders expect a rescue. If the defenders could hold out and maintain some semblance of hygiene, then they'd probably be a little less likely than the besiegers to suffer disease outbreaks since they're housed in buildings as opposed to questionable tents.

When it came to actually breaking a siege through combat, the defenders had a definite advantage in most of pre-gunpowder history*. Barring a successful undermining of the walls or a handy traitor to keep the gate open, common wisdom was that you shouldn't try to force a breach unless you outnumber the defenders by 3 to 1 or more.

*Cannon+pre-renaissance stone castle=lump of scenic rubble, but I don't know how effective anti-cannon countermeasures like Vauban-style star forts were, so I won't speculate.

e: I was wrong!

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 20, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can someone explain the difference between 20th-century firearm categories? I'm talking post-WWII, here, although discussions on the evolutions of the terms might be interesting in and of themselves. I'm more interested in doctrinal than technical differences.

I'll list the ones that I think I comprehend first. Battle rifles are, if I understand, rifles that are capable of semi-automatic fire and possibly automatic or burst fire. Modern ones contain magazines containing between 15-30 full-powered rifle rounds or so.

These are different from assault rifles in that they are capable of greater range and accuracy compared to the later rifles. Their doctrinal (US) role nowadays seems to be giving a squad one or two marksmen who can reach out and touch someone beyond the assault riflemen's range.

I think my understanding is somewhat in line with conventional definitions. But what about the various machine gun classes? These I can barely make heads or tails of even with Wikipedia's help.

What's the operational difference between, say, a light machine gun, a squad automatic, a medium MG, and a heavy MG?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

Hey i hope I don't get banned for posting this in TFR but I am interested in reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Whats the best translation? What should I expect...I've been told its the Chinese Illiad.

Is it possible to follow without a pre-existing knowledge of Chinese history?

I don't rightly know, but... this thread isn't in TFR. I'mma talk to one of my Asian history buds down the hall, see what he sez about RotTK.

edit: okay, Asian history guy says that you'll probably want to wiki-search Chinese history for that period before you read it but that should be enough. I forgot to ask him about a translation and he just went back to sleep, sorry.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 31, 2011

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

How does war, which from my point of view is pretty messy already, get to be described as messy?

In my extensive experience nuclear war tends to be far, far messier than, say, the Somme.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I've got me a hankering to learn a little bit about WW1-era small unit tactics or the lack thereof, whichever may be the case. Can you guys direct me to any sources that talk about the differences between Russian, German, and Western Entente organization at the squad to platoon level?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Burning Beard posted:

Actually tactics did develop during WWI on the Western front. The Germans, by 1916 (I Think) were well entrenched with Assault Groups (referred to as Stormtroopers) that were trained to infiltrate in small groups under cover of smoke, gas or whatever. I have some pictures of these guys and they are loaded with knives, grenades, the first SMGs, pistols, you name it. The British and French had something like it but it was not nearly as refined. The concept of Stormtroopers served as the basis for German Tactical Doctrine in WWII with informal battle-groups assembled to undertake a particular task.(Kampfgruppen).

The Americans learned as the went. I think many officers had a good idea of what they wanted to accomplish but for the most part it was learning by doing. After the war the Germans worked from experience, the decimation of their military tradition demanded it. Only the best officers were kept on board and by 1922 Hans von Seekct was rebuilding the army from lessons learned in the final years of the war. The Germans have always been tactical innovators but very poor on further development, especially in regards to equipment keeping pace.

The Americans...well, we learn then promptly forget. Only since WWII has the military developed an organizational culture that remembers previous successes, and then only with difficulty. The urban combat in Hue City during the Tet offensive, for example, should have been goddamn well learned and remembered before Iraq but I never saw any mention of it. And even in Hue, in 1968, the military had had plenty of Urban experience but it was never exploited. Before WWII the nature of the volunteer and conscript force left the army without an organizational memory of any note. Sure, we learned stuff in the Civil War but by 1898 we had forgotten it. Sure, the Indian Wars would have helped in the Philippines in 1900 but nobody had bothered to discuss or remember it.

Any chance you could spare a few words with regards to the Spanish Civil War? As in, what was learned from it, what wasn't and should have been, etc.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That brings up an interesting question: can anyone in the historian-ing trades hazard a guess why the History channel (and most other documentary channels) went to poo poo so completely this decade?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but by 1983 wasn't the Warsaw Pact's military mostly made of rust?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Have any of you guys noticed that the British Royal Navy has a tendency to name its bases like they were ships? For example, when the brits took Fort St. Angelo (look under "The British Period") for a naval base, the called it HMS Egremont. What's the deal with that?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Either way, it ends with Russian tanks in Berlin.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plus gay black Hitler would have gotten into the The Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, either with some artistic flare or sleeping with the Dean.

Dammit guys stop loving with Hitler!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Any of y'all know of good sources on engagements of the Hussite wars? Doesn't matter to me whether it's pop-history or serious scholarly works, although I don't wanna spend more than 40 bucks on a book if I can avoid it.

Also, is it true that the Hussites were some of the first full-on gunpowder armies?

In my head the traditions of land combat in Europe kind of go from the 'chivalric' style of endless chevauchee and interminable loving sieges of the high middle ages to the Hussite wagenberg and handgonne field fortifications, which weren't mobile enough to be fully effective so you then see pike-and-shotte formations that gradually up the percentage of 'shotte' until by the late 17th century there's pretty much no pike left.

Am I missing anything dramatic?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

Speaking of samurai, I once saw a picture of a samurai who had a big sheet tied to his neck and waist. As he road, the sheet inflated and was supposed to deflect arrows. Was a sheet used like this, and was it effective?

It was called a horo, and yes. Later models sorta consisted of these silk sheets being hung over a globular wooden frame instead of just billowing out as the horseman rode along. I get the impression that it didn't really stop arrows so much as slow them down to the point that they didn't have sufficient force to break through the guy's armor.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about from the other side of things? As in what if Uncle Joe takes off his friendly pants and thrusts all the way to the Atlantic after Berlin?

vvv: Tonight on the History Channel: Gay Cyborgs of the Luftwaffe!

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How about we change things up a little. Can anyone tell me about Sumerian militaries and how they fared against each other and other powers of the area? I'm given to understand that Akkad may have fielded the first infantry armor.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Has the military procurement process always seemed as stupid to outsiders as it does now? Is it as stupid as it seems?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Hey, I'm all of a sudden super-interested in Soviet-Steppe relationships, primarily during WW2 but also in general, especially how martial ethos ideas in both cultures developed and interacted, and how military integration of steppe people affected the steppes and the Red Army. Any good literature on the steppes during the Revolution and especially during WW2?

Red Cavalry is a series of fictionalized news dispatches from a Russian Jewish reporter who was embedded in Cossack cavalry units during the Polish-Soviet war. It's fiction, but it's based on Isaac Babel's actual experience, and it's apparently close enough that Babel's career was pretty much ruined after Budyonny (probably spelling that wrong) rose high in the Party hierarchy.

edit: the action in the book happens in Poland, not the Steppes, but involves the Cossacks and I think they count as steppe people.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Speaking of the Civil War, Gary Brecher over at exiledonline did a neat little writeup of Ben Grierson, who showed the damned Rebs a thing or two.

Speaking of which, what do all you serious war scholars think of his column in general?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Veins McGee posted:

Africa from 1945 to present day is one of the most illogical, senseless and depressing but interesting places/times in my opinion.

Agreed. Where else would you get General Butt Naked?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think he does, and isn't he right? Clippers were amazingly fast but their sails required a lot more manpower than coal-fired engines so once coal became cheaper than manpower they were unsustainable. By the 1940s or so there were pretty much no civilian sailing ships left that weren't pleasure craft.

I remember reading something about the last clipper ships serving into the 1930s in the South Pacific hauling coal.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

E: It was basically an ideological move. The right, and the right-wing of the Social Democrats, wanted to move to a professional army since conscription didn't fit well with respecting the right of the individual and all that jazz. The left wanted to keep it as well as expand conscription to include women, in the name of ensuring an army of and by the people.

The idea of conscription being a tool for social justice never occurred to this American. Over here our left wing is deeply and almost universally opposed to anything resembling conscription (the draft, as we call it in the states).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Only the Finns come close [to the US] at coordinating tubes.

The Finns? How'd they come close? Better C3 training? Better comm equipment?

By the by, the impression that I'm getting from this thread is that the US had the best electronics suite of all the WWII belligerents. T/F?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Trench_Rat posted:

Oh god, I love this. "One of us is dead! Join up!" Doesn't seem like the strongest advertising to me.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Yeah that might be the Austrians and their self-inflicted defeat at Karansebes youre thinking of.

Basically some hussar scouts whilst out on patrol, found a gypsy caravan that sold schnaps. They proceeded to buy it all, and get hosed up on said schnaps, as any sane soldier would do.
Then when some infantry soldiers came along and saw what a great party the hussars were having, they wanted in on the action. The hussars responded with building a makeshift barricade and refusing to share. A squabble ensued, were one soldier fired a shot, and it rapidly devolved into utter chaos after that. After the smoke settled an approximate figure of 10.000 dead and wounded soldier was the result.

Except of course that the whole thing may not have happened (the first sentence on the article you linked sez it's "probably apocryphal"). Sure would make for a good movie, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

A speedometer, maybe? I seem to remember the V1 using something similar, except it counted the number rotations until it was roughly over London, at which point the thing would angle downward and crash into the city.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Didn't the US military tend to overestimate the effectiveness of Soviet tech during the Cold War, though?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's entirely reasonable. Maybe the difference in training is the cause, but could production/storage be a factor? I don't know poo poo about insurgent weapons in Iraq/Afghanistan, but are they modern Russian production, Soviet leftovers, or pre-invasion local production?

If they're soviet leftovers I could imagine storage having an impact on their effectiveness, and if they're local production, then maybe they're not up to the same quality control standards as the Soviet models were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Not to sound like a fool then, but how did the Zeros kick so much rear end in the early war?

Or did they?

• Locked thread