Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dan7el posted:

I serioudly doubt there are all that many atheists on the front lines....

Really? I mean, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

So, the 442nd Infantry Regiment. How come they were so goddamn badass?

(this is sort of an joke question, but I just learned about these guys, and wow)

Probably a lot of it was because they were all volunteers, and full of a lot of people very much motivated to prove themselves in the face of discrimination.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Revolvyerom posted:

I work retail, and one of the regular customers I see several times a week is always wearing a Korean War Vet cap, and a half dozen pins/etc stuck in it. I struck up a short conversation with him, and found that A) they were given summer clothing to wear while fighting in mountain weather, and B) it was not really a fun time for anyone. When I tried to end the conversation on a bit of a lighter note to make him feel better, "At least you made it back intact", I got "No, I'm missing three toes thanks to frost-bite."

I am never going to bitch about how my feet are chilly when near the outside wall of my apartment again.

Where can I go to find out more about this war? All I know about it, in entirety, is that:

-Northern Korea favored Communism
-We supported South Korea because FREEDOM (which means no communists)
-China supported North Korea
-MacArthur wanted to create a No-Man's Land by dropping enough nukes across Korea to stop anyone from trying to venture into the radiation, to cut off China's support.

Edit: Hell, I don't even know what gear they had, behind hearing that they used BARs

Wikipedia's Korean War page is actually quite well written and cites its sources. Check that out, and if you want to know more look for some books. For all that its known as the "forgotten war" there's plenty of literature about it.

Edit: Is should note that the main Korean War page is very concisely written, and then links you to other pages giving more details of specific parts of the war, some of which aren't as well done. As usual Wikipedia is a nice starting point for an overview, but don't rely on it for details.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 22, 2010

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

While talking unreliable weapons; I've heard (as in mentioned in random tv-shows) that the bullup rifle they're using isn't very good. Is this the same M16 horror story or just hearsay?

Who's "they"?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

was the Crimean war or the Russo-Japanese war, world war zero? personaly I tend to lean towards Russo-Japanese war due to extensive use of trenches and modern communications.

If your definition of a World War is that a large number of nations take part in it, then it's definitely the Crimean War. If you mean World War zero in the sense of the immediate predecessor to World War One and having similar technology, etc. (which your comment about trenches and modern communications would suggest), then it's definitely the Russo-Japanese war. You kind of have to say what you mean by World War zero or its pretty meaningless.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

I meant world war zero by the use of technology

Considering that a lot of the weapons and tactics used in the Russo-Japanese war were the exact same ones used in world war one, which took place only 10 yeas after, there's not really much to debate, is there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

lilljonas posted:

No, pre-samurai Japanese used shields, like during the Kofun period. The common soldiers prior to the samurai periods are depicted with shield and sword. The use of mantlets never stopped, and was used in sieges even after the introduction of arquebuses. The few times they fought with foreign armies (Mongol invasion and the two Imjin War campaigns in Korea) they met enemies using shields. So they clearly knew what a shield was and why they are great to have in many cases.

It makes sense for the samurai to not fight with shields: they were primarily horse archers who went on to become horse shock cavalry. Many warriors filling these roles didn't use shields in other places of the world.

However, if you look at infantry using spears across the world, they almost always use spears together with shields until the development of the halberd and the pike, and most pre-gunfire pikemen also carried shields. This is what vexes me. Why didn't the ashigaru use shields before about 1570, when we first get real pike and shotte weaponry which is usually the point where other infantry finally ditch the shield?

It's sure not because they are asians, as Chinese and Korean infantry carried shields until the 17th century. It sure isn't because they put a lot of stock in cavalry, since other horseback cultures such as the Mongols and the Turks both used shields on horseback and for their infantry. In the case of the cavalry it can be related to their heavily armours that were developed to protect from arrows, but again, most of the infantry didn't carry those heavy armours.

It just would make sense for some poor infantryman to pick up a bit of wood and say "hey, wouldn't it be a good idea if this was in front of my face, you know, with everyone we fighing always shooting arrows in our faces and all that?". It's not like they didn't use mantlets ALL THE TIME in sieges.

I seem to recall that William Wayne Farris said that there was evidence that every time the Japanese sent expeditionary forces to Korea they basically ended up adopting the Korean way of fighting, which included using shields, so they used them in some situations it would seem. Of course I read that book like 5 years ago, so I could be misremembering.

Anyway it could just be that they didn't like them enough to continue to use them or their specific way of fighting caused them to fall out of favor. It wouldn't be the first time in history that people once used some technological innovation only to later abandon it.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 1, 2011

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

lilljonas posted:

That sounds weird, as it was actually the other way around with the Imjin War. At the start of that war the Koreans were technologically behind Japan and relied on bows with a smattering of ineffective handguns, and subsequently had most of their army completely wiped out by the superior Japanese forces at the start of the 1592-93 campaign. After that they soon developed arquebus weaponry and tactics, both taking hints from the Ming Chinese armies that saved their bacon and the Japanese armies that had mauled them so badly on land.

And no, the Japanese did not pick up the use of shields after the Imjin War. The main effect of that campaign on Japanese doctrine was that it escalated the development of the arquebus as dominant weapon at the expense of pretty much everything else. The political effect of the campaign was probably just as large though as it bled the western realms closest to Korea, which played heavily into the hands of Tokugawa in the east as he made his bid in 1600. But that is another topic entirely.

I assume he didn't mean "every time" and meant the Yamato-Paekche relationship, but that's way back in 7th century, and hardly a connection to 15th century infantrymen. I can also not imagine how he meant that the Yamato military involvement in the fall of Paekche had changed Japanese fighting style, as we know extremely little of those fighting styles. But it did have very big effects on Japan in areas such as religion, politics and science, that is clear.

Ah, I should've been more specific. The book I read this in only talks about Japanese warfare between 500-1300. There were apparently a couple of times when Japan sent forces over to Korea in that time period. And I don't mean that all of Japan stated using shields, I mean that specifically the forces in Korea, for the time that they were there, realizing that the tactics which they used in Japan were ineffective, mimicked the Korean way of warfare.

But like I said this is all stuff I read years ago so I could be misremembering. The book was Heavenly Warriors: The Evolution of Japan's Military, 500-1300. I don't have my copy on me so I can't look it up to confirm/

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus Christ, I couldn't even imagine what kind of nightmare an invasion of Iran (especially if it is done at the same time as Iraq and Afghanistan!) would be. I think that just could do it for the U.S. You know, end it as a superpower.

People forget just how big the US is. If the US wanted to I have no doubt it could take over Iran, but it would have to go into an actual war footing to do so; start up the draft, etc. Which isn't going to happen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Honor had nothing to do with it. The point was to ensure the stability of the Japanese political system under the Tokugawa, following a century of often brutal war. Forced disarmament follows logically from this objective, and it must admitted that the Tokugawa shogunate was very successful, since it ruled a peaceful Japan for 250 years. This is sometimes overlooked, because I think people are apt to emphasize the impact of the Perry Expedition over the long period.

In addition to that, for when there was fighting, a lot of Japanese combat at the time was apparently archery-based, and they used some pretty powerful asymmetrical longbows, which were probably better in trained hands than the matchlock muskets they got from the Portuguese.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Yeah but it takes a lifetime to train a decent archer. You can give some mud farmer a musket, tell him to point it in the general direction of the enemy formation and shoot.

That's my point; during that time period there wasn't enough large scale combat for that to be a factor. If another huge war had broken out in that time period we probably wouldn't have seen the technological regression we did.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Actually, the matchlocks they had almost entirely replaced bows when possible. The japanese bow was actually notoriously short-ranged and low-powered. The Japanese really liked the matchlock in warfare. The problem was that the production was low and localized in a few specific cities, so it couldn't completely take over.

Pre-modern firearms are often maligned for their inaccuracy but that had more to do with the fact that they lacked sights and were fired more for rate than for accuracy. Even with smoothbores, marksmen could still often hit targets at decent ranges with a degree of accuracy.

I dunno, I've been told there was a fair amount of evidence that muskets weren't used as commonly as once thought, with, for example, forensics evidence showing that at Sekigahara a sound majority of wounds were from arrows.

I also don't know where you've heard that Japanese bows were short-ranged and low-powered. I'm not sure about outright power compared to the bows of Western culture, but a Japanese bow will probably have a longer accurate range than the muskets of the time and fire much faster.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Someone once told me that the English "gently caress you" gesture with two fingers comes from captured English archers being repatriated with these two fingers cut off so these archers could not longer use their bows. By holding them up they were showing their opponents they had their fingers still. Is this true?

I've heard that as well, but it's apparently not true.

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

dokmo posted:

Here's a nifty table from Adam Tooze's The Wages of Destruction:

Holy poo poo did the Russians make a lot of mortars. I've never heard anything about Russian mortar use in WW2, can someone tell me about this?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

How did capital ships of WW1 and WW2 target their guns? Did they just estimate a ship was X yards away at a certain degree, and there was a table the gunners used to calculate the elevation and powder load needed? If so, how were these ships able to accurately calculate distances back then?

The first analog computer targeting systems were actually developed before WWI (though I'm not sure at what point and to what extent they became standard use; there were auxiliary units which used manual control thoughout WWII), and rangefinders have been around for a couple hundred years. This wikipedia article is kinda poorly organized, but has the basics.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Did anything change or is it still visiting hours at that war memorial thing? What's that all about anyway?

What do you mean by change? It's still controversial and nothing has really changed. Anyone can go there and prey, it's open to the public, etc. I live like 15 minutes walk from Yasukuni and I can assure you that there's people there all the time. It's a normal shrine by all appearances.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why wouldn't you just lace the cigarettes with cyanide in that case?

Because people who smoked it would die very quickly and you'd only cause a few casualties. The effects of opium wouldn't be obvious as quickly, and even if they knew of it a lot of people would probably smoke it anyway.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nenonen posted:

In contrast, not a single Challenger 2 has been destroyed by enemy fire.
However, by another Challenger 2... :ughh:

Well, much like the debate about 'destruction' of M1s going on here, perhaps no Challengers have been completely destroyed but they have definitely been penetrated by RPG-29s, and apparently on the front armor no less.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Zionist_en_fuego posted:

EDIT: I have some great english language sources if anyone is interested in learning more about Hybrid Warfare and the 2006 war.

Interested in this. Are these accessible online?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

There was a big complaint that the .30 caliber M1 Carbine didn't have enough power to penetrate the heavy coat the Chinese soldiers wore. It was essentially a light, fast, small diameter pistol cartridge, about 100 grains and 2000fps, fast for a pistol anyway, but nowhere near the energy of a medium rifle cartridge. I could see it losing enough energy after 75 yards to have trouble going through multiple layers of fabric.

Fast for a pistol? It has more energy than anything but really hot .357 magnum loads, and about twice the energy of .45ACP. It's not going to be stopped by a quilted cloth coat. This is a pretty baseless myth that's been debunked in the past.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pyle posted:

What? Today? I need to know more. Where and when? I always thought that the winner of the bayonet charge is the guy with the round in the chamber.

There was one time the British made a bayonet charge in one of the Gulf Wars. That's it as far as I know.

Bayonets are pretty much useless as modern combat weapons, though they have their uses for crowd control etc., and soldiers are going to need a knife anyway, so you might as well make it mountable to a gun.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

THE LUMMOX posted:

Up until some point in the 1930s Japan really had the west convinced that they were "the good ones." An oasis of modernity and progress in the stagnant orient. They wore suits, used western style buildings, sent students to western schools, and had massive lobby groups throughout America and Europe promoting their image. They probably would have been allowed to continue indefinitely had they not started stepping on western toes.

That's the capital of the Japanese colonial government in Seoul in the distance. It would be right at home in any western city.

Seoul Station.

The customs office in Busan.

They had snappy fashion. These are two Japanese men photographed in Canada in 1910.

The man being led away by the guys in suits is Lee Bong-chang. He tossed a 'nade at Emperor Hirohito. Note the guy with the Chaplin (this was 1932 so do I have to call it the Hitler yet?) stash in the back.

Up until the military took over the government in ~1932, the Japanese were pretty much the "good guys" in the East. They were an aggressive expansionist empire, but then so was every Western power of the era. They tended to be fairly ruthless sometimes, but were seen as relatively fair. In their earlier exercises of modern military power, such as their response to the Boxer Rebellion and the Russo-Japanese War, they were noted by observers as being much better behaved and composed compared to many of their Western counterparts, especially the Russians, who had a tendency to loot and rape pretty frequently.

Ultra-nationalism had been fomenting for a while in Japan, but it wasn't until the democratic government was basically replaced by rightist military leaders that everything really went to poo poo, there was a shift to much greater brutality in the Japanese military culture, and the really bad massacres began to occur.

If you look, it just so happens that all the really bad poo poo from Japan happens around or shortly before the partially successful coup in 1932; beginning of comfort women stations, the Mukden incident leading to the Second Sino-Japanese War, etc.

Up until then they were basically another empire trying to carve out a piece of mainland Asia before everyone else did.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of the Boshin War and a little earlier, what would have happened if Japan was like 'no gently caress you' to Perry and didn't open up to the west.

Would the Imperialist powers of the time have descended on her and cut her up like sections of China?

In all likeliness, yes. Without modernizing there would have basically been no way that Japan could've resisted the foreign powers, and they definitely would've come knocking, at some point.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

That would make some interesting alternative history then. I take it the reason they wanted Japan to modernise as well as trade but also some sort of block to anymore expansion in the area?

Kind of worked in a way if so. Until the forties.

I'm not sure if the US wanted Japan to modernize, per se. I think they might've been just as happy if Japan didn't, and they could just keep trading rights with them. But as was, the Japanese basically bought everything they needed to modernize from the Western powers, and the west was perfectly happy to take their money, never thinking that they'd really become a notable power. Up until the Russo-Japanese war, at least. The Japanese holding their own on land, and kicking the teeth in of the Russians at sea during the Russo-Japanese war, had pretty far reaching effects. It was basically the Japanese who broke the back of imperialist adventurism in Asia, and also disproved the darwinian belief by much of the West that Asians were incapable of holding power.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Rabhadh posted:

Did Japan have any major resources that the Europeans/Americans wanted or did they just want to open the place up as a market for their products? Because having major resources at that time period just about guarantees an invasion of some sort. If its the latter, then the powers got just what they wanted. Except Russia.

Japan is pretty resource poor, so there wasn't much that I'm aware of. When Perry first came by one of the things they were looking for was rights to whale fishing in Japanese waters, I've been told.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Koesj posted:

While I do think it's applicable in this case, using any kind of 'take-off' model to explain its rapid development is a pretty contentious issue in the historiography of modern Japan (and developmental economics in general btw).

There's tons of historical examples where wholesale cooptation of modern technologies didn't work out because of a lack of specific institutional efficiencies to back it all up. That's what, IMO, makes the 1868< Japanese case an outlier.

And indeed totally unexpected by the great powers of the time.

I wasn't really referring to a modernization theory type of take-off model. I think the Japanese basically already had the institutional background to develop, so it's not like the take-off model where the idea is just putting in the infrastructure leads to development. There were enough pretty enlightened people after the Meiji restoration that they knew what they needed to do, and they set out specifically with the intent to modernize, in order to avoid being taken over by the Western powers. But they also know that they had to modernize as quickly as possible, so they basically began straight up buying what they needed in the interim, while also hiring foreign advisors, which is what I was referring to. They also didn't neglect to begin to build their own industrial infrastructure, however, which is why by the 1900's they could make pretty much everything themselves.

Edit: For example, if you'll forgive the copy and paste from wikipedia, this is what the Japanese fleet looked like during the Russo-Japanese war.

6 battleships (all British-built)
8 armored cruisers (4 British-, 2 Italian-, 1 German-built Yakumo, and 1 French-built Azuma)
9 cruisers (5 Japanese, 2 British and 2 U.S.-built)
24 destroyers (16 British- and 8 Japanese-built)
63 torpedo boats (26 German-, 10 British-, 17 French-, and 10 Japanese-built)

Almost entirely bought from the western powers, presumably at considerable expense. But it turned out well for them, because as soon as they won the Russo-Japanese war, money came flooding in, because the Japanese government was then accepted as a major power (whereas before they were looked down upon as just some uppity Orientals), and all the sudden banks all over the world were willing to loan to them.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 30, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The SARS Volta posted:

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this:

So I'm watching Glory, a film I've always enjoyed. Toward the end of the film, there's a scene on the beach where a general is explaining the assault on Fort Wagner to a group of officers (Col. Shaw AKA Matthew Broderick included).

But who the hell are these guys in back wearing red pants and fezzes?

Those are Zouaves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouaves

That's actually pretty cool that a movie saw to put them in the background like that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nenonen posted:

What did Germans have that would have required the direction of heavy AA guns to deal with? Pz I, II, III and IV could all be knocked out by standard AT guns. V and VI didn't come in numbers until Allied armies were driving full steam towards Berlin, and by then there were also heavy AT guns that were better suited for the job than AA guns. The AA guns were also needed more desperately to guard targets against Luftwaffe strikes especially early in the war when Germany was on the offense, and losing them and their crews to enemy artillery in the frontline would have been terrible. Germans didn't do what they did because it was the best use of the AA asset, they did it because they were out of options.

Earlier AT guns had a drat hard time with some German tanks. Also range is a huge factor; one of the big things about the 88 was that it could take down Allied tanks from ridiculous ranges for the time, where less powerful Allied guns sometimes couldn't touch German tanks until they got within a couple hundred meters.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Here's a drawing of every Royal Navy ship lost in World War II.

I wish these were nice flat copies so I could stitch them together. It looks like they're pictures taken with a camera, with a slightly different angle, so they can't be easily put together.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesciencebookstore/2010/11/quiet-images-of-great-loss-and-heroismbritish-navy-losses-1945.html Here's where I found it, a few more views there.

Edit: found one of both sides together

Thanks, it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
At any rate, every reliable number for penetration I've seen specifies the angle. There's pretty much no way anyone doing experimentation wouldn't be noting the angle of impact.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mans posted:

Is there any purpose for MBTs in modern conflicts now that war has shifted from organized armies with clear fronts to insurgency style attacks against an occupying force? IFVs equiped with explosive ordinance seem to be the way of the future.

I think the idea is that we've been seeing a lot of asymmetric conflicts, that doesn't mean that they will all be that way. You still need to have an armored force, even if it isn't going to be your most useful tool in every battle.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Any nation that's well-off enough needs to have an army to exert its influence on weaker nations and show friendly nations that they're helping in whatever mess they've gotten into. I've read about the US leaning on Japan to try to get the to send forces to help in Iraq, regardless of how we're the reason that they're not technically allowed to have a proper military.

I mean, they've got tanks, artillery, jet fighters, and more active military personnel than the UK in their Self-Defence Forces, but it's not a "proper" military.

Because they said so.

It really is just a defense force, though. They have no real offensive capability. It would be effectively impossible at any level to project force of any reasonable level outside their borders.

Also they actually did send some forces to Iraq, but they were almost literally babysat by Australians who were there to make sure they weren't in any situations where they needed to actually take shots in anger.

Edit:

uinfuirudo posted:

The Jietai was formed in 1954, which is a year after the end of the formal war part of the Korean war and is probably a sign of why it was created, the real impossibility of being a nation state without a military during the cold war.
That was when it officially became the Jieitai (btw, it's Jieitai, even though you pretty much end up swallowing that second 'i' when you say it. I make the same mistake all the time), but all the elements had been in place for a little while. The initial plan was to really have no military at all, but when the Korean war broke out, the US realized they needed to free up forces in the area, and it was kind of ridiculous for Japan to have no forces at all, so the US gov't pressured the Japanese into making a "National Police Reserve" (警察予備隊), which was basically a force of light infantry.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 11, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Just a quick question: What was the Marine Corps doing during the American Civil War?
It seems like most battles were fought by State militias and occasionally the Federal army, but I can't find references to the Marine Corps anywhere.

The Marine Corps back then was still really small, and was primarily used for its original duty as combat compliment to ships. They fought in some ground battles, but their contribution to the war was fairly small. The Marines didn't really become famous until later on after the Civil War when their use as shipborne troops meant they were they were the troops of choice for all sorts of small struggle on foreign soil.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Don't know if it's supposed to be on there or not, but the whole film of Battle for Marjah is actually on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Pq5JZ2Fd8

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bren Guns were used up to around the early nineties with the British army I believe. Until they finally developed a LMG that wasn't rubbish.

Hell, the Irish TA used them until 2006!

If by 'developed' you mean 'bought Minimis', then yeah

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nenonen posted:

"At 8:15 this morning His Majesty the Emperor, son of Amaterasu, took the form of Sun and spread his warm embrace across Tokyo."

I don't know, killing off the imperial family might have been quite a knock on the Japanese morale. Not that it really was going to matter as toward the end of 1945 the situation was only going to turn more and more dire by each day.

No, the US intentionally never attacked the person of the Emperor, because they knew that it would gain them nothing, and that in all likelihood it was only his word which would stop everyone from fighting completely.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nenonen posted:

That sounds a lot like "Churchill forbade attacks on Hitler because he was more useful alive". Even if it were true, would they have had any realistic means to do anything to the contrary? In the last 100 years how many heads of state have been killed in air or cruise missile attacks? Gaddafi?

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking of the recommendation by Ruth Benedict to keep the Emperor's position intact after the surrender of Japan. I thought that I had heard she also advised not to intentionally attack the Emperor during the war, either, but I can't find a source for that, so I can't say for sure.

At any rate it was actually good he stayed alive, because he was able to call for the surrender of the country when there were still elements who probably would have fought to the death otherwise.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

I know this thread kind of frowns on alternate history but would Operation Downfall really been as big of a blood bath as the article and number of Purple Hearts stamped in preparation would lead you to believe?

Probably. It would have been pretty drat bad if the Japanese fought as hard as we thought they were going to, and especially if it came down to street-to-street fighting.

It is, of course, hard to tell, exactly how effective all the ad hoc units the Japanese were throwing together would have been, and really the Japanese army was pretty thoroughly broken at that point, but it would have been an incredible waste of life.

More than that, I shudder to think about what might have happened during the campaign. Frankly I would not be surprised if there had ended up being mass rape a la the fall of Berlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Such a slow and low-lying ship seems like a great target to ram! Or were the wooden ships of that era not really designed for that kind of action?

Regarding AT weapons: I've also read that the Javelin is the heaviest infantry weapon in the US arsenal, weighing something like 50 lbs. Imagine lugging that thing, in addition to your personal rifle, ammo, water, armor, and other equipment, over the mountains of Afghanistan! Also, small AT weapons were notoriously ineffective against enemy armor, with the exception of un-escorted tanks in an urban environment. Most tanks would be gunning you down with co-ax at 1000+ meters or the escorting infantry would keep you from sneaking up behind one. Plus shooting one basically kicks up a big cloud of dust and the rocket trail means you just painted yourself and your buddies as target priority #1 for the entire enemy force. Basically it gives the infantry a bit of confidence that the enemy won't just roll over the squishies, but the actual combat effectiveness is kind of poo poo.

Actual combat effectiveness was bad in the sense that the advent of WW2-era infantry anti-tank weapons didn't allow one man to go head-to-head with a tank, but it meant that they had something which could damage and destroy tanks, whereas before they had effectively nothing. This was huge in that whereas before armor could operative with relative impunity, now they needed to have infantry escort, and couldn't commit themselves to getting close to enemy positions without putting themselves in considerable danger. Tanks certainly could take down infantry in the open from 1000 meters, but that's not going to happen to guys in foxholes on the reverse slope of a hill, or hundred meters or so beyond the treeline of a forest.

Really one of the biggest advantages of armor is its combination of mobility and firepower, and when infantry got manportable antitank weapons, it seriously reduced the former, because now tanks couldn't make tactical maneuvers as easily; they had to either stay ~100m away from possible positions where antitank teams cold be hiding, or they had to bring an infantry escort with them, effectively reducing to the speed of men.

Basically small AT weapons didn't make armor obsolete by any means, but their spread had considerable tactical ramifications.

I'm less familiar with the modern situation, but my understanding is that the situation is somewhat similar, except rather polarized, in the sense that cheap AT weapons, like the RPG-7 are apparently virtually ineffective against modern MBTs, but then you have high-end AT weapons like the Javelin, Metis, Kornet, etc. which are supposedly walking death to armor.

• Locked thread