Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone have any info on the French in Indochina? General info is more than fine (everything about it), but I would like to know about left behind troops if anyone has info.

It sounds like it was a pretty crazy time. Soldiers spread out in small numbers with terrible supply lines, defending small remote outposts and hopefully being re-enforced by paratroopers being dropped in when they were about to be over-run.

I have read that when their occupation ended many soldiers, independantly leading small groups of local soliders, were so isolated and remote they were unable to be gotten to/contactable (or there was no knowledge as to where they actually were), and they were just left there.

Edit: Would really like a non comedy option reply from someone in the know.

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone have a non-comedy reply to France in Indochina? (re: my post on the previous page)

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Nckdictator posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Without-Joy-Indochina-Stackpole/dp/0811732363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325441460&sr=8-1

I have this on my shelf, haven't read it yet though but it's supposed to be good.

Thanks for the reply and link.

It sounds just like it was a "debacle", for what I have read. Then there is the popular culture aspect with Apocalypse Now...and Im just still left thinking about the people left behind thing...

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Veins McGee posted:

I've never heard of any Frenchmen 'left behind' because the French government couldn't get in contact with them. Can you give a link to where you heard about this?

Looking for it now...have been since my original post. Was Probably in some Osprey book...

EDIT: I have looked since I madethis post for where I had read it, All the Osprey books I have on the topic and others relate and Googled like a freak... and I cannot find it... Sorry, I am more than sure I did read such a statement, and thats why I brought it up here...No result. Sorry.

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 12, 2012

• Locked thread