Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
One thing I know about contemporary special forces is that I would not want to be anywhere near a Russian hostage rescue operation. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Rabhadh posted:

The Belsan school siege turned to poo poo when every parent with a gun showed up to lend a hand and the security forces on site couldn't keep them away, amongst other things

"Other things" being the complete lack of restraint from the special forces. The wikipedia article is just horrifying, I mean look at this:

quote:

At least three but as many as nine powerful Shmel rockets were fired at the school from the positions of the special forces three or nine empty disposable tubes were later found on the rooftops of nearby apartment blocks). The use of the Shmel rockets, classified in Russia as flamethrowers and in the West as thermobaric weapons, was initially denied, but later admitted by the government.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

What is the reasoning for the stranger types of weapons? Things like the Khopesh, Falcata, and Rhomphaia seem like they're just the ancients experimenting with any sort of weapon design that they can think of, and I can't begin to imagine the reasoning behind the Pata, Katara, and the Khanda.

Some of them look like so much thought went into their design, even if I can't figure out a thing about why they were designed in such a way, like the Kalis.

All of these make sense except for the Khanda. Why would you not add a tip for stabbing on your sword?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Speaking of the Anschluss, would Austria have stood a chance against the Germans had the decision to fight been made?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well who isn't? :colbert:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
On the topic of stirrups, I can't fathom how it took 4000-5000 years of riding horses until someone came up with the idea of a stirrup. It's just a loop on the saddle :psyduck:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Did the Conquistadores bring enough horses to South America to form cavalry units? How did they fare against people who had no experience dealing with horses whatsoever?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Thanks for the answers to my conquistador cavalry question. This brought up another thing though: War dogs. How did they work at all? I can imagine them being kind of effective against unarmoured opponents as a furry fire and forget weapon that maybe rips out one throat and then gets killed, but other than that? They can't bite through armour and can't even defend themselves. Were they only used to chase down fleeing troops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's a good post! I'd love to see a similar writeup for the other big players!

• Locked thread