Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

True, and in some ways the Swedish neutrality policy did good things: the Jewish population of Denmark could be ferried over to Sweden when Germany occupied the country, saving many from certain death. Norwegian partisans could strike German targets in Norway and fade away across the border. But post-WW2 selling iron ore to Germany wasn't something to take pride in, while the Finland solidarity movement was a pretty nice thing to for your neighbour.

The white busses and Raoul Wallenberg where also enabled by Sweden being neutral. Sweden actually had a very small amount of nazis compared to our occupied neighbors. Partly because the Germany wasn't allowed to recruit in Sweden. Swedes wishing to join the nazis had to go to Denmark or Norway first.

About 300 Swedes joined the SS which is small compared to the ~3000 Danish and ~3000 Norwegians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

During my conscription days in the Swedish Army I was in an armoured batallion, and we studied the result of the Swedish anti-air tank Luftvärnskanonvagn 90 against attack helicopters. The US wanted to test their Apaches in the forested areas of northern Sweden were our armoured batallion was situated. Every time the Apaches approached over the treetops they had been spotted and "taken down" by a Lvkv 90 before they even knew the tanks were out there. So yes, attack helicopters would probably die in droves against someone with good enough equipment.

Haha, seriously another LVKV-crew member on this very forum! The LVKV90 owned especially versus helicopters. But then again I only go to train versus the old Swedish ones.

I think the biggest advantage that it provides is the radar allowing the tanks it supports to be aware of nearby helicopters so they can take them out.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Revolvyerom posted:

I find it a bit amusing, and a bit :psyduck: that tanks would be considered helicopter-hunters in that scenario.

I can certainly see why, it's still amusing.

Using proxmity fuzed ammunition makes it alot easier. As it allows you to detonate the shells after a certin distance, rendering cover useless. Just like that new US handheld grenade launcher.

code:

\ |  /
    ___...................----BANG-----   
 __O                 _____   / |  \
/   \              /      \   
ooooo             /        \  HELI
TANK

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Nenonen posted:

Western culture would be so much more interesting looking if we had taken the Greek :nws: phallos worshipping instead. Then we wouldn't have to speculate about phallic symbology in military propaganda etc.

Are you claiming :dong:s aren't worshiped in the military? :psyduck:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

combat engineer posted:

combat making GBS threads.

Aaah, one of the most mysterious and honorable tasks in the Swedish Armed Forces :v:
I didn't know the CV90 had a toilet, I guess it didn't in 04/05 or they never bothered to put in the LVKV...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The idea of conscription being a tool for social justice never occurred to this American. Over here our left wing is deeply and almost universally opposed to anything resembling conscription (the draft, as we call it in the states).

Conscription is the very basis of democracy, or rather used to be. The first modern system of conscription was created by revolutionary France, but maybe it could be argued that the 2nd amendment could be seen as something similiar.

The idea is simply: If you want to vote and participate in ruling our country you better be ready to defend it! When Sweden adopted universal (male) sufferage in the eary nineties they wrote:
One man, one gun, one vote! on their placards.

But we have long since left the idea of it being the responsibly of every (male) citizen to defend its country.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Oxford Comma posted:

Was there ever a peasant-led revolution that succeeded? Or did they all wind up nailed to crosses on the road leading to Rome?

China is a good example, most notable dynasties aren't mongols but started out as peasant uprisings (Ming for example). During some centuries there were 1.8 recorded peasant uprisings per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Rabhadh posted:

Yeah I was under the impression that the whole reason the US navy leased the HMS Gotland was because they had no or very little experience against small diesel eletric subs, but comparatively lots against big nuclear subs.

This is correct, because they were getting their asses kicked so hard they even extended the lease to get more practice.

• Locked thread