Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

The heaviest fish I've caught so far is a Dunkleosteus, which weighed an incredible 18182.42lbs

That's not as far off as you'd think. Dunkleosteus should way about 4 tons (18,000 lbs is more like 9 tons); but hey, game universe and Cavia can do whatever they want. How you'd carry one around is beyond me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, those things are terrifying.

I knew they had some prehistoric fish in there but I had no idea they had that particular one so it was hilarious when I caught one without meaning to.

Maybe Weiss has some magic means to transport fish.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Welp, passed the halfway (?) point. Boss fight was mad cool.

poo poo-hog? Oh come now, that's not even a real word!

Question regarding a choice: what happens if you choose "Do nothing and be annihilated"?

Also, if anyone was wondering precisely what the old man in the library in part 2 says (that ties in to Drakengard)

I think I'm beginning to understand. Climate change wasn't the cause of our woes; it was only a symptom. The real trouble started when something terrible came down from the sky... It seems this event turned the world into a "metropolis of salt". I guess they're talking about how most of the cities sunk into the ocean.

Regarding the choice:

Did you really think that Cavia would miss the chance to lampshade 'but thou must' style choices? Kaine just says something like 'do it you loving moron I'm dead anyway having the rest of us die too is just idiotic'... and then you get the same choice again. :haw:

Also, about the thing in the Aerie in part 2:

It 'says' one line of dialogue before starting the fight but that doesn't really help things - it's something like 'Who am I? What am I? What's happened to the village? The overall shape/design of the thing really reminded me of a Seed of Destruction/Bone Coffin from Drakengard 1/2, though...

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Goddamnit. Farming for Eagle Eggs is easily a contender for most annoying thing to do in a video game ever.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alter Ego posted:

Goddamnit. Farming for Eagle Eggs is easily a contender for most annoying thing to do in a video game ever.

Just imagine having to do Black Pearls!

*enters town, runs all the way across to both beaches, comes up empty, reloads*

Just like Eagle Eggs! Only you need 15 of them.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Xythar posted:

Question regarding a choice: what happens if you choose "Do nothing and be annihilated"?

It's a "But thou must!" Kaine will just yell at you to do it, and you get the choice again and again.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
http://kotaku.com/5531030/nier-review-not-without-his-daughter

Kotaku posted a very positive review of the game. I thought this game would be divisive, but the wild swings in reception from review to review is more than I thought it would be. I think ImpAtom is right in that this is going to be one of those love it or hate it deals, where if the problems with the game bother you, they will REALLY bother you, and if you're the other way around you might REALLY enjoy it.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

InnercityGriot posted:

http://kotaku.com/5531030/nier-review-not-without-his-daughter

Kotaku posted a very positive review of the game. I thought this game would be divisive, but the wild swings in reception from review to review is more than I thought it would be. I think ImpAtom is right in that this is going to be one of those love it or hate it deals, where if the problems with the game bother you, they will REALLY bother you, and if you're the other way around you might REALLY enjoy it.

It's honestly pretty easy to tell in reviews of this game whether or not the person reviewing fell for the OCD bait in the game. The positive reviews tend to not make a big deal about the grindy sidequests.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 6, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Just imagine having to do Black Pearls!

*enters town, runs all the way across to both beaches, comes up empty, reloads*

Just like Eagle Eggs! Only you need 15 of them.

I read earlier that people think Cavia was actively trolling the spergonauts who try to 100% complete everything the first time through--after farming for those drat things for 4 hours straight and getting a grand total of ZERO, I think they were right.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

UselessLurker posted:

It's honestly pretty easy to tell in reviews of this game whether or not the person reviewing fell for the OCD bait in the game. The positive reviews tend to not make a big deal about the grindy sidequests.

Honestly even though I didn't like the fetch quests and fishing at first, I just completed all the quests in part 1 (for 51% completion) and overall I think it was actually fun. I still don't think I'm going to try for all the weapon upgrade trophies though. I spent all of 10 minutes looking for eagle eggs before I got bored.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Honestly even though I didn't like the fetch quests and fishing at first, I just completed all the quests in part 1 (for 51% completion) and overall I think it was actually fun. I still don't think I'm going to try for all the weapon upgrade trophies though. I spent all of 10 minutes looking for eagle eggs before I got bored.

Yeah. A lot of the negative reviews tend to go "OH GOD THE BACKTRACKING" and "SO MUCH GRINDING" where if you just play the game there's definitely backtracking but it's not like it takes very long and the main story has exactly zero grinding sequences.

it's also easy to tell which reviewers would have preferred the japanese weaboo protagonist (I'm looking at you, Gamespot!)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Every second review I see bitches about how ugly the main character is... personally I don't really have any issue with him though. His face is a bit gaunt but hey, food shortage. It's pretty believable.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
My copy finally arrived today and I've spent a couple of hours going through it. I just passed the first dungeon and have been doing some side quests and so far I'm enjoying it. The only complaints I have so far are minor control issues. In all the flipping and rolling around it's easy to lose track of the enemy, and you have to take your finger off of the attack button to recenter the camera, and it would be nice if magic would queue up if you are holding the button down but don't have quite enough mana to cast while waiting for it to recharge. Those are really minor issues though, nothing game-breaking.

I don't mind the older protagonist either. It's a nice change from the pretty as a pony girl-boys who are emo and whine whenever they are asked to do something. Kill 10 sheep? Consider it done! You guys have set me up with a free house and take good care of me and my sick kid, I want to repay the townsfolk. Oh, a dangerous mission? It's no problem I want to help out and protect the village since you guys have been so cool to me.

That said, I'm expecting baaaad things from those shades. They spray an awful lot of blood for something seemingly intangible, and the little ones, at least at some points are entirely non-hostile and I think even ran away from me. They also drop schoolbooks which I have to figure happens for some reason, even if I have no clue what to do with them.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The protagonist's attitude in this game is really refreshing.

There's a magical barrier powered by a floating book in my way? SMASH THE poo poo OUT OF IT AAAAAAAARGH :black101:

Typical JRPG protagonists would have spent at least ten minutes agonizing over the futility of existence and cutting themselves before finally doing something about the barrier :emo:

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
I just finished Farcade and couldn't help myself so I ordered the OST from Play-Asia. All the vocal tracks in the game so far are amazing, I'm looking forward it.

On another note, Kaine gets so angry all the time, it's great:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The one conversation Emil has with Nier is funny, about how him and Kaine go camping and do all these cutesy things.

"Emil, shut up! I've got a loving image to maintain"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Welp, beat round 1, that was a really fun game.

For round 2, are all of Kaine's dreams at the beginning or is that spiced throughout?

I think my favorite part was walking into Emil's house for the first time Oh hey Spencer mansion! Dining room and all!

The best "oh Cavia" moment was "Oh No! Brother has been squished! Must pull him out!" Yank. Yank. *meaty tearing noise* :gonk:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"A love that crushes like a pile of metal debris!"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mistaya posted:

Welp, beat round 1, that was a really fun game.

For round 2, are all of Kaine's dreams at the beginning or is that spiced throughout?

I think my favorite part was walking into Emil's house for the first time Oh hey Spencer mansion! Dining room and all!

The best "oh Cavia" moment was "Oh No! Brother has been squished! Must pull him out!" Yank. Yank. *meaty tearing noise* :gonk:

They're all at the beginning. You definitely don't want to rush the second playthrough, though. There's a lot of extra dialog added to the game in the field/combat and during cutscenes

Society!
Jan 24, 2007

What the bourgeoisie therefore produces above all are its own GOLD-DIGGERS

mistaya posted:

My favourite thing is that right after that sequence the kid frowns and it cuts to the robot looking all devious but it all comes across quite as quite goofy...

I have to say I've never played a game of this type but I think it'll stay with me forever...

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Out of curiosity am I gaining anything by playing on Hard? Because this poo poo is brutal and even the smallest enemies take 20+ hits.

EDIT: Ok screw this Im going to start over at Normal. As long as I'm not missing some dumb achievement for Hard mode.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 6, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Difficulty affects nothing, you can play through the entire game on easy if you like.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

Out of curiosity am I gaining anything by playing on Hard? Because this poo poo is brutal and even the smallest enemies take 20+ hits.

EDIT: Ok screw this Im going to start over at Normal. As long as I'm not missing some dumb achievement for Hard mode.

You can switch difficulties by picking a different one from Options at the title screen and loading your game, if I recall correctly.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Ddraig posted:

Difficulty affects nothing, you can play through the entire game on easy if you like.

Good to know. Most games have one for beating the game on the hardest difficulty mode and usually it's not a big deal but GOD drat is it a slog in Nier. You get real good at dodging though.

Started a new game. Everything feels like it's dying stupidly fast. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 6, 2010

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Policenaut posted:

It's located in The Aerie, on the platform beneath the Village Chief's house. You actually find one once for part of a quest near the beginning of the game, and that's basically the only spot in the entire game where Eagle Eggs appear. It's also a regular gather point so if it's not sparkling then you'll have to reload the game, and after the return in Part 2 you'll be unable to ever go back and get that gather point.

Just to add to this, if you don't find the eagle egg at the sparkling spot, you can just jump off the ledge and suicide for the gameover screen. You'll be teleported to the place pictured below, then suicide until you see the sparkling spot. If you get an egg, go back and save. If no egg, jump off and repeat.

I just got four eagle eggs in 20 minutes doing this, it should be a lot faster than reloading save :)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing I like is that Cavia are really, really trolling completionists with this game. There are some items that are just completely useless. They have no purpose for fishing, crafting or even quests. Just found a "sea turtle egg" with no use at all.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, I hear you on that. Cavia just loves trolling people, especially completionists - there's been giant 'gently caress yous' to completionists in most of their games. My favorites besides Nier are probably Drakengard 2 requiring you to play the game three times to get all the endings but the game gets ridiculously harder with each new game +, and Bullet Witch's hardest difficulty being tied to a 1 point achievement on the 360. About the only way they trolled people who just want to see all the endings is that a few of the weapons are somewhat out of the way to get, but nothing nearly as bad as, say, Drakengard 1. Besides, one of them Iron Pipe is manly as hell and is the only proper weapon to use in killing the final boss. :black101:

If I recall correctly, one of Drakengard 1's weapons required you to wait fifteen/twenty minutes in a very short stage before it would spawn.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 6, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Somewhat major part 2 spoiler

Why did Emil turn into a skeleton? I mean seriously, what? :psyduck:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Somewhat major part 2 spoiler

Why did Emil turn into a skeleton? I mean seriously, what? :psyduck:

Well, uh.

gently caress it makes too little sense I guess because he was eaten and absorbed her powers as she was dying I guess. At least he's not functionally blind now! :v:

as to why he had to be eaten to absorb her powers I dunno I guess he's mega man or something. That whole scene was funny though, 'hey protag bro if I happen to get eaten please kill my sister - *MUNCH*'

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's his sister's "body". She obviously went through a hell of a lot more experimentation than him and got locked in that body which seems like a rather artificial construct, possibly to increase the weapon's capabilities. Even though she tried to kill him there was obviously some strong bond between them so they were probably absorbed together so they both didn't have to die.

edit: Actually, from one document Underground Research Record 2, it seems like Number 6 (Emil's sister) was a prototype for the gestalt process. The skeletal body was obviously the shell that they wanted to implant the soul into to see if the process would actually work.

"We have completed the initial research into Number 6, and are ready to initiate the startup experiment in the coming days.

As this will likely mark a great leap forward in Gestalt research, the National Weapons Research Labratory has made the compeletion of the Number 6 project its top priority. Budgets for all other projects are to be frozen, effective immediately"

Also, from Research report 4 it seems like the skeletal body was only a placeholder. Halua was intended to be a donor body for Number 6, and they kept Emil in storage as a backup I guess. I guess things got hosed up before they could complete that which is why she remained in the skeletal body.

Also the name of the project, "Snow White" seems to support that. She's locked away until the right donor body comes along, kind of like Snow White locked in the glass coffin until her prince arrives.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 6, 2010

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Picked this up today, First 360 game bought in a about a month..

First impressions. Music is awesome as I had read. Its kinda annoying that some parts of the script are just not voiced .. even in the same conversation as the VA work is good, Weiss really does stand out from the moment he first speaks. And that speech during the pre title screen video from Kaine gets attention real quick to. Gameplay wise so far combat isnt wowing me much but the Music/VA/Characters/Story is motivation enough to keep playing.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

mfny posted:

Weiss really does stand out from the moment he first speaks.

Yep. Liam O'Brien knocked this role out of the park for sure.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Oh man, if any company knows what I want in a game, it's Cavia "Sliding Box Puzzles" :3:

I kid, though. This is the best JRPG I've ever played. It's even good for a western RPG

EDIT: I love how retarded Kaine looks when she runs

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2010

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Is this that game that was supposed to have the two characters, one for the western audiences to enjoy (an old man who is really strong??) and one for eastern audiences to enjoy (anime guy)? Am I thinking about that Square-Enix game that came out on PS3/PC/360? Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about at all?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

Is this that game that was supposed to have the two characters, one for the western audiences to enjoy (an old man who is really strong??) and one for eastern audiences to enjoy (anime guy)? Am I thinking about that Square-Enix game that came out on PS3/PC/360? Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about at all?

You're thinking of the right game, the other game you're thinking of is Last Remnant where it was originally going to have a young character and an older veteran soldier as the main characters but the older guy got turned into a villain. Or, at least I think that's how it worked out.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Space Bat posted:

You're thinking of the right game, the other game you're thinking of is Last Remnant where it was originally going to have a young character and an older veteran soldier as the main characters but the older guy got turned into a villain. Or, at least I think that's how it worked out.

Oh, sweet. Well, that's too bad about both of these things then. Not that I've played this game or anything I just thought it would be neat for 2 unique storylines with two different characters made for two different audiences but are actually the same game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Oh, sweet. Well, that's too bad about both of these things then. Not that I've played this game or anything I just thought it would be neat for 2 unique storylines with two different characters made for two different audiences but are actually the same game.

They did do that. It's literally the first thing in the OP.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowbear posted:

They did do that. It's literally the first thing in the OP.

quote:

How are they different? In literally no way that is significant. There are incredibly slight dialogue differences between the two games, and each game features a different design for the main character. That is all. Trophies, storyline, quests, items, and EVERYTHING important is the same.

quote:

I just thought it would be neat for 2 unique storylines with two different characters made for two different audiences but are actually the same game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

One is rescuing his daughter and one is rescuing his sister. Different enough for me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
So which version of Nier is better, the ps3 or the xbox version? I want to get this game but I don't know what version to get it for.

• Locked thread