Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

Oh, sweet. Well, that's too bad about both of these things then. Not that I've played this game or anything I just thought it would be neat for 2 unique storylines with two different characters made for two different audiences but are actually the same game.

They did do that. It's literally the first thing in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

One is rescuing his daughter and one is rescuing his sister. Different enough for me :colbert:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cyrai posted:

What do you have to do to get endings B, C, and D. B is beating the game twice, right?

It's in the OP.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So if I'm masochistic enough to go for the weapon upgrade trophy (I am), are there any materials that I should look out for in the first half that are miss-able other than the Eagle Eggs?

I just want to make sure I can get it on my first play through (without starting the game from scratch) so I only have to do 1 extra play through for the speed run.

Policenaut posted:

Eagle Eggs can be found in the same place in Parts 1 and 2, it's just that after the big event in Part 2 at their location you can't get them anymore.

Ah. I'll probably still get them as soon I can anyway. When's the soonest I can find them? I did a couple of reloads and all I found in that spot was clay and copper.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 9, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Honest Thief posted:

Got this through gamestation and it's on its way, it better be good, goons, or I'll pout like there's no tomorrow

It's very polarizing, so there's a 50% chance you will love it and a 50% chance you will hate it, which makes you a terrible person.

re: DLC
I'm not that far into the game yet, but the bosses are easily the best part so far (gameplay wise) so a 15 level boss rush sounds loving awesome.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xythar posted:

I hooked a rhizodont and fought on the line with it for like 3 minutes and then when I had probably under 5% of the bar left it got away :suicide:

Yeah that one's a real son of a bitch. I just got to part 2 yesterday (after finishing all the side quests in part 1) and I decided to get the fishing achievements out of the way so I wouldn't have to think about it later. So I did the rest of the fishing quests then caught myself a rhizodant and a (14 ton) dunkleosteus and both took me a a lot longer to hook and catch than the hyneria. It's crazy how much the area where you can hold the analog stick to damage the fish shrinks on the harder fish.

Next I'm gonna some gardening out of the way. Farming white moonflowers is a good way to make some cash right? I'm running a little low right now after buying the Phoenix spear.

In other news I got all of my Eagle Eggs within an hour, which was nice. And following the advice of someone earlier and checking Seafront and the Village's farm spots every time I passed through really paid off, since I found 5 Giant Eggs and 6 Black Pearls by the end of part 1. Hopefully I can get a few more before I focus on weapon upgrading to make things a little less painful.

e: So is Damascus Steel the only thing you need to take the DLC weapons all the way to level 4? 'Cause that spear sounds badass. I beat the first door last night even though I was only level 18 and it wasn't that bad, I just used a lot of healing items. How much harder are the second and third door?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 16, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xythar posted:

Uh, kinda I suppose, but if all you want is a bit of short-term cash you're probably better off just doing a few quests. I bought all the weapons already and still have like 70,000G from quests (I'm at ~75% quest completion) and nothing much to spend it on, so there's not much point bothering to farm flowers (literally) unless you're trying for Man of Means.

Well, I'm going to want it eventually. I figure that since I'm getting the Legendary Gardener trophy anyway I might as well make some cash while I'm at it. The guy that wrote the trophy FAQ claims that once you have enough WMF seeds you can use the clock trick to get 300k in 20 minutes, which sounds pretty good to me :v:

e: yay forum maintenance eating posts.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Is there a list somewhere of the materials needed to upgrade each weapon?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Confirming that you can find Flourite, Eagle Eggs, Titanium Alloy, and other awesome stuff in the lab section of the DLC.

e: Thanks for the links guys!

double e: Just finished gate 3 of the DLC at level 27. It really isn't that hard at all if you play very cautiously.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 17, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Legendary Gardener is really, really, really easy if you follow a guide and use the clock trick. I got the pink seeds I needed for the quest and 99 white seeds that I can grow for cash later in about an hour.

e: Also the wall jump is super useful when going to visit Popola. I always go up the first set of stairs in the library and then wall jump off the bookcase and that lands you right at the top of the second set. I've saved like, 20 seconds of precious time over my playthrough :smugdog:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 17, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Finished ending B, got all trophies except for the upgrade 30 weapons one (and the 15 hour clear one), and I've beaten everything up to the last dungeon on my 3rd playthrough. Time to grind items until I feel like killing myself!

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dantes posted:

A computer streaming tv shows from Hulu just beside your TV screen can help with your suicidal tendencies.

This is standard procedure for any grindy trophies. Rewatching every episode of It's Always Sunny is the only thing that got me through FFXIII's Platinum.

So what's the best place to farm those flying shades? I need a bunch of stuff off of them and I don't want to farm the 2 in the desert over and over.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Renoistic posted:

Sorry but that's pretty much the only place you can farm them in. You can gather gold in the desert too if you haven't already. The shaman (shooting) shades were much more annoying to me.

Awesome :suicide:

Only things I have left are Metal Piercings, Dented Bats, Subdued Bracelets, Forlorn Necklaces, and a couple more Memory Alloys. If anyone has any tips and tricks or ideal farming spots for any of those that would be super.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Policenaut posted:

Useful stuff

Thanks bud, this weekend is gonna be "fun"!

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Honest Thief posted:

poor Beepy, even before going for ending B it was a sad fight. getting ending B will not be tear free it seems

The ending B playthrough does a great job at making you feel like a complete dick before every single boss. All of their stories are so depressing :smith:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So after ending B there is literally no difference until the ending cutscenes for endings C and D? Because I'm thinking I don't want to go through another however many hours for an extra cutscene, I'm playing this mostly for the story.

I didn't notice any differences whatsoever. There were a bunch of new cutscenes for the ending B playthrough, but none at all that I can remember for C and D.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xythar posted:

Plus I had the Phoenix Spear which is like the "I win" button.

It really is broken. The whole second half of the game the only 2 attacks I used were the dashing stab and the dodge -> wide swipe with the Phoenix Spear. Everything died in 1 hit on normal.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Garin posted:

So besides gathering some other words, is there a point to killing the repeat of the first intro boss in the plains area going to the sea town that, well, kills you in one hit without a defense drop more than once?

Nope. I killed him a bunch of times really early in the game, and he just drops a few words that are slightly better than what you would normally have at that point, plus he very rarely drops a Simple/Complex/Elaborate Machine, which you can get very easily later in the game.

Pretty tedious to kill at that point too, it took me a few minutes of circling him and just hitting him with Dark Hand after he attacked to make sure I didn't die.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SpazmasterX posted:

the Nameless Sword actually becomes an awesome weapon when upgraded? Also upset that that quest automatically upgraded that sword instead of the one I was actually using.

Nope! It's poo poo all the way through!

You're close to halfway through the game I think. Once you get to the second half you get access to all the best weapons almost immediately.

As for Titanium Alloy, the Junk Heap is the only place to get them. Just wait till the second half and you should be able to farm them there really easily.

If you want the absolute best weapon in the game go back to Facade in part 2 and buy the Phoenix Spear from the blacksmith. You can then destroy everything in the game with ease.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 23, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SpazmasterX posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Little disappointed that I'm already almost halfway through and I only have 4~ hours clocked

You're actually not as close to halfway as I thought. You've still got a few dungeons to go.

My memory of the first half is a little hazy since I haven't played it in a while :v:

SpazmasterX posted:

I too was wondering where that was until I found out that you unlock it by doing that one woman's quest to bring her 3 tulip bulbs from Seafront. You expand it by doing another one where you bring her 3 Bounty Fertilizers. It's worth the effort because she also becomes a store and you make double the money you spend.

I found gardening to be the fastest way to make money. Other than that it's pretty useless.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 23, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Policenaut posted:

To be honest, this got me really curious as well so I decided to go take a look. Fifteen minutes of exploring Japanese fansites later and I finally came up with a small picture.

Here

Looks amazingly lame compared to Gestalt

The last boss looks like a 12 year old boy! Cool!

Thank god we got Gestalt in the west.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

RotationSurgeon posted:

Hey guys, should I be bothering doing these boring rear end fishing quests? Are they worth it eventually, or do you only get fish to sell for money?

If you don't care about achievements and don't like fishing just for the sake of fishing, don't bother with the quests. The only thing you ever get out of fishing is fish (and occasional junk).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mug posted:

Just finished and got the first ending, fantastic, going straight back in for more.

The second playthrough is the best part of the game. Enjoy it :allears:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fuzz posted:

I don't get this complaint. You don't really have to grind, you just have to bounty fertilizer all 15 spots, then alternate for whichever type of offshoot you want. Once you get at least one of that type and it dies and you get some seeds (with bounty, probably 4-6 seeds) then you just replant those seeds with more bounty and do another cycle and you'll like quintuple your seed stash, at least. It takes like 3 swaps in and out with clock changes to get Pink moonflowers, and from there it only takes one more to get a white one and the trophy.

Yeah, with the clock shenanigans it took me less than an hour to get all the pink and white moonseeds I needed, along with a shitload of money.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Artix74 posted:

I don't really care about upgrading weapons. You only have to have them all for Ending C, right? ...Right? :smithicide:

Yeah you just need to get the weapons to unlock endings C and D. Upgrading them all is just for trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

samo posted:

Its for ending d you just have to get the weapons for c which is easy.

Well so long and thanks for the memories nier, and gently caress you replicant.

:confused: You get Ending D by choosing a different dialogue option during ending C.

e: Unless I'm misreading your post somehow. You definitely don't need to upgrade the weapons for ending D.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 29, 2011

• Locked thread