Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just picked up a lot of games recently but I'm definitely getting this sometime soon, pretty much expecting crap gameplay but the soundtrack and story look good at least, and the final ending twist is loving awesome

Not a story spoiler, but when you get the last ending the game erases your savefile which is what got me really interested in the game. I want to see what exactly happens that the game has to do that.

Also something where I can mash my way through a lot of it looks relaxing after buying a bunch of SMT games and playing competitive online games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can we talk about a videogame now (I like this thread better)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just started this, god the music is so awesome. The mashy nature of the fights is a turnoff coming from having favorite games like Bayonetta and Demon's Souls but on the other hand the voice acting is surprisingly solid and the story is suitably "what the gently caress is going on", the best kind of videogame story

Edit: Also the best speech ever right after the opening intros which is a nice surprise

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 2, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xythar posted:

I really like the gameplay actually, I've fought like 3-4 bosses so far (intro doesn't count) and they were all fun as hell. As I mentioned elsewhere, I wish the bosses in games like Darksiders were this good.

Only part that drags on is the fetch-questing of which you don't need to do a whole lot for the storyline.

It's really nothing like DMC at all in my opinion.

Yeah the bosses are fun but in between the bosses the battles are boring, I've taken to rolling around and only using Dark Hand to one-shot enemies because it's more fun than mashing Square. Also killing wildlife by drifting into it with a boar (you actually drift)

I will say this though, if you are looking primarily for gameplay don't play this. Play Bayonetta and Demon's Souls, those were amazing games that pulled off their gameplay elements very well. If you want super fancy graphics and an original RPG battle system play FF13.

This game is primarily about "look at this weird poo poo" with entertaining characters and a good (so far) story. I've laughed at the dialogue a lot because it was written to be funny, not because it was horrible which is a nice change

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah that's true, if you don't want to fight enemies you really don't have to for the most part, there's usually no penalty for just running past a bunch of monsters and you don't have to do the sidequests, you can basically skip straight to story.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can I gently caress myself out of anything major with the point of no return, or just seeing closure in sidequests and stuff?

Basically can I miss out on an ending

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just beat Facade. Everything that bugged me about the game no longer bugs me and I am not hestitating to say it was worth the purchase at this point. Also EVERYTHING IS SO DEPRESSING WHAT THE gently caress

Completely optional sidequest:
Please find my dog

The dog is dead when you find it.
You go back to the master with the bad news, his grandson is there and says "sorry he died"
You give him a leaf the dog had and he says "oh yeah this was the medicine that was keeping him alive, guess the dog was bringing it"

"They're in heaven together. I know it"

And this is like a completely pointless, seemingly harmless quest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reading these posts I'm so glad I skip 95% of optional quests and don't care about the trophies. Need to finish the game so I can read all these spoilers though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Megaflare posted:

Unfortunately, if you skip all the quests you miss some pretty decent dialogue. It's usually the ones that are light on gathering or no gathering that have more to them than "got what you wanted. ok thanks. bye."

I haven't found any of the gathering quests hard or very time consuming at all though. Maybe the gardening stuff. Even the stuff that you need to hit the junk heap for. There are so many enemies and it goes so quickly that I found it pretty fun to blaze through there.

Yeah, that is a problem. Just started Part 2 and the Lighthouse Quest was pretty good, and the Missing Son quest was funny as well. It's just honestly not worth possibly grinding for 20 minutes or so for a line or two, and for part 2 I'll have more playthroughs to collect everything over so I don't have to do them all at once.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got the OST because it's just awesome.
The one problem is that a lot of the music in this game is dynamic and has layers that add/subtract when you do certain things and for the most part that's lost here, although there are some songs on the OST that start with some of the layers and just add them on.

Also I can't find the Popola/Devola song that plays at the final bossfight of Part 1. I found one song with both of them but the boss one was a lot more energetic, this dynamic thing is confusing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have almost finished Ending A and I haven't caught a single fish/grown a single plant/have like 20% quest completion

It's a shame about the earlier quests, but I remember someone saying that over the playthroughs it takes to get the endings you get enough stuff for the fetch quests anyway that you don't need to grind it out.

Edit: About the languages, I'm pretty sure Facade speaks really broken Japanese.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I think I figured out what New Game + is gonna reveal and now I'm kinda bummed out because I think (speculation haven't beaten it yet) I heard a small shade tell me it loves me and I just noticed they keep dropping different types of children's books and when the Legion shade gets close you can hear the entire city talking and when the king of Facade killed that wolf it looked really sad and said something and oh god this game is gonna get depressing isn't it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Syvere posted:

No, they don't. It's just gibberish.

I've definitely heard some Japanese words in there though, or fragments of some. Even if it's made up it has a structure based on some language, you can hear the same things repeated.

Renoistic posted:

When did that happen?

I was probably hearing things in the weird noises they make when they die but it sounded like one said it in the Manor Basement

Ddraig posted:

Facade really is a broken version of some modern city. They travel via underground tunnels (subways), have layers and layers of bureaucracy and rules and the rich live high up in the buildings and the poor low to the ground (tower blocks etc.). It's like they have some residual memory of a major city and are trying their best to replicate it somehow.

Which sounds to me like Japan :shobon:
I dunno, just a theory.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah if a brother cared about his sister to this degree it would be creepy.

Oh wait Japannnn

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just beat Ending A, and yeah it really feels like there's more. I think I can see the specific points that would change the endings as well. I think my guess ended being kind of right about the nature of the shades although I didn't guess some of the points.

So after ending B there is literally no difference until the ending cutscenes for endings C and D? Because I'm thinking I don't want to go through another however many hours for an extra cutscene, I'm playing this mostly for the story.

Time to go back and read certain spoilers and not others!

Edit: Also I think I can kind of guess why ending D does what it does, if it's what I think it is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xythar posted:

It doesn't take very long to go from ending B to C/D if you rush through and skip anything, I think I did most of it in a night (including picking up the remaining weapons I needed)

Only part that sucks is by the time you get to ending C/D you've gone through the Lost Shrine approximately 48 bajillion times.

Yeah I'm starting the New Game+ and I'm already sick of this drat place
Also I was under the impression that Understanding the Shades means you'd be able to hear what they're saying as they die :( Guess it's only the bosses then?

And am I remembering wrong or did the Trophy descriptions change to match the Shades' real names?

Edit: Literally the next room I walk into and A little kid screams at me to go back before I kill it oh god

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 22, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

I've not played any further yet, but the entire first half seems designed to build an attachment between you, the world, the places you've been and the characters you've met, so that when poo poo hits the fan, you're that much more involved in the story.

Awfully dorky of me, but anyone else reminded of Gurren Lagann?

Kind of. It's a common storytelling device really, The thing is not only does the first half of the game set you up to feel horrible about the second half, from what I've seen so far the entire first playthrough sets you up to feel horrible about the second. It's really cool what they've done with it, it's a shame that there are people who will probably get one ending and stop.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh god oh god is the (ending B playthrough) Facade Shade The dog of that man who died getting him medicine, and then the man died because he didn't have the medicine? It looks like him although I guess a lot of the shades are supposed to be older so it might not be

Dominic White posted:

Not really so common in games, though. I can think of quite a few where you get to see the world as you play through it, then there's one last whip-round in the final section, but not too many that give you the whole first half of the game for fairly casual adventuring with no grand menaces to worry about, then crank things up for the rest.

Yeah it actually really mirrors Ocarina of Time in that way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

it's more than that, it drives a common theme foward, it's rare to see such care gone into random quests, most reviewers criticized the fetch-quest mechanic but I think they missed the point; if anything Nier gives context to it's actions

it's just terrible how Nier will stop at nothing in his quest, even before knowing what they said there were moments that showed it, but having someone fighting to keep his friends alive while you slaughter them, is something else

Yeah I really loved this. It goes from a man loving his daughter so much he will risk his life for her to a man so obsessed with his purpose he is committing intentional genocide without caring about anyone else's feelings. It becomes really obvious when he yells at the shadowlord, something like "I don't care about your pain, I don't want to understand" when he's in the EXACT same situation as him. A lot of the bosses the first playthrough at some point really looked like they were just sad when you killed them, and the robot talks so you know what he's saying but hearing the whole thing is pretty horrible.

It's worse because it looks like the shades and "humans" are really fighting each other for the exact same reasons, and neither side understands it. Every boss fight I've seen so far in part 2 looks like it was really the humans' fault, the wolves attacked because their children were killed, the robot didn't attack at all and wanted to make friends :smith:

Honestly I usually don't like saying this but really this is one game where it's worth experiencing the story even if you don't like the gameplay.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thievery posted:

Relevant to the Aerie (B playthrough) As far as I gathered, they were trying to either interact with Nier and give him the key without any trouble, or pretend they were all humans so he would just leave them alone. Once Nier says that he's going to kill "every last one" or something, the guard flips out and panics, turning into a shade and attacking Nier. I loved the battle with the random yelling of "It's my husband, he's a shade!" *slaughter shades, realise you just killed a "human" ladies husband*
Just beat this part on B playthrough and I'm kind of dissapointed that

1) They didn't explain poo poo
2) It's Kaine's hometown and she's asleep for half of it so you don't get the added perspective like with the other bosses

Dominic White posted:

Well, kinda. It IS apparently the reason why her entire village - a neverending festival of hateful, paranoid assholes it seems - considered her a mutant freak.

Anyone else pick up on the crushingly depressing irony that the Aerie finally got over its fear of everything, apparently, and became the first human settlement to peacefully coexist with the shades... right up until Nier turns up and kills every last living creature within a two mile radius.
Actually it was kind of sad because On the B playthrough I think they still call her a monster for being human/shade instead of one or the other :smith:

Edit: This game is really pretty short on the extra playthroughs, had to struggle not to kill everything so I could see the dialogue in fights.

Which quests were worth doing that actually added some story? I really liked the lighthouse series of quests, although I didn't do the Part2 grinding part of that. I loved when you had to deliver the final letter and instead of reverting to cheery outside music the entire city takes on the sad indoors music, perfect touch.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just got Ending B, looked at C and D on youtube. Kinda dissapointed in that I thought

That moment where he hesitates to kill the shadowlord was going to be ending D. Instead of killing the shadowlord he gives up his body so he can be with the real Yonah. Guess not :shobon:

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 25, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

thetrin posted:

Not in Japan. Gestalt is only on 360 in Japan. Replicant is only on PS3 in Japan. Nice try, though. :D

Yeah he knows that that's why he said Western

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I just did the spear's triangle move to dash through bullets which kinda hosed up the boss fights

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo the DLC remixes pretty much the entire soundtrack in one song?

Haven't bothered buying it, I really liked the game but for the story and dialogue more than the gameplay.

Edit: Hahhaha cheesy electro break into a choir of little kids that are supposed to be singing as a father defends his daughter to both their deaths

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 31, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

it's amazing you can tell how non-next gen a game is when you cancel moves to move faster
good times

Haha I was seriously thinking "Most games make you run faster than they allow you to cancel things" But I was too busy correctly timing my spear/dodges. In the first part I jumped and rolled EVERYWHERE because it feels a bit faster, it really is just like Zelda!

InnercityGriot posted:

I would totally play Final Fantasy XIII if that's what it was like.

I think the bipolarity of the critical reaction to this game is probably warranted, but I don't think I can understand people not liking the text sections of the game. Even Yahtzee complained about it in his review. It's well-written and fits in with the themes of the game. If the game faced us down with reams of poor exposition with voice acting in some terrible cutscene would it be preferable? Are Americans really this hateful of actually reading, like going to a foreign language film and listening to complaining because people have to read subtitles?

I really thought the most resonant part of the entire game with me was The Forest of Myth, part 2. Lots of reasons really
The music ramping up the more you read, you starting to realize something is different about the shades, the world around you starting to omit letters so that you can't tell what's going on and just as the climax to the music hits

"wh t i mo st im pr tant th in w rld

Yo nah
Yon a h
Y O NAH"

Given the game's budget, I don't think any amount of cutscenes could convey that same feeling, and that's why I like the text based parts. A cutscene, especially with Nier's graphics, would NOT be the same.

Edit: Reading that explanation link, apparently Gestalt and Replicant both happen. One game says 1300 years later, one says 1400 years later. Since Yonah and Nier are just shells, they are constantly reborn into roles where they can be kept close to each other. Also kind of explains Ending A's looping back to the beginning of the game, and Weiss saying something like "Glad we'll never do this again. Unless time reverses..." And it explains why Popola and Devola say they wanted to wait "100 years or so", for the next incarnation of you and Yonah. Interesting

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 1, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

yeah there were no doubts after that scene about Kainé and her feelings

this is some awesome trolling

Emil lives in a goddamn monochrome house I don't think anything has to make sense
to be fair he's like 1400 years old so maybe he remembered the night

I see now what he meant by "cutting out 3 games worth of material" there is so much poo poo that either was COMPLETELY unexplained There are 13 grimoires, they were all people forcefully made into Gestalts and then had their souls put inside books instead of replicants or that you had no idea of knowing about or really needing to know about (Nier was a man whore)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cant wait to post!! posted:

Ok phew I thought I had hosed up horribly and was super leveled or something.

Also, swearing in an RPG? This is already starting off well :munch:

*Turns on PS3*
WEISS YOU rear end in a top hat

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

From the translation docs:
Seriously guys?
"# 2030 - "Red Eye", leader of the Legion, is defeated.

* The last "Red Eye", leader of the Legion, is killed in Jerusalem by the leader of the 13th Crusade. "

Also they mention something about children being used as the 5th crusade unit because the medicine works better on them; wasn't the 5th crusade the children's crusade? Thought that was funny

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Garin posted:

Dumbass!

How did I forget that :ohdear:

Fereydun posted:

I have to admit though, the second play-through's revelations about the wolf leader seemed really contrived since the first part of the game established the wolves as the ones originally attacking the humans. Despite all the dialogue with the bosses, it still seemed the shades were pretty villainous overall since most of them appeared to be mindless or crazy anyways. Even the situation in the Aerie made it seem like the shades were just forcefully possessing the villagers rather than attempting to integrate with them. Really, the only shades that seemed sympathetic were the shadowlord, the kid, and Gretel.

I think the city is one of those places that's mentioned in the supplementary materials where the Replicants were convinced to give their bodies back to the shades, so it seemed kinda intentional? That whole city was hosed up, couldn't really tell what was going on there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Was anyone else really dissapointed that none of the endings touched on the fact that Nier hesitates to kill the Shadowlord? I fully expected Ending D to erase everything because he stops halfway through and lets him reunite with his daughter, didn't like that C and D focused entirely on Kaine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LorneReams posted:

You know, before I read the stuff about Kaine from the extra director's stuff, I always assumed everyone gave her a hard time because she was a ghestalt without a shade while the whole vilage were already shade/gestault pairs. I assumed this was how she was partially possessed, and why she was an outcast...as a sentient ghestalt.

Everyone gave her a hard time for both reasons. First because She was a transvestite, which led to her leaving the city, which led to her getting possessed, which led to her being even more hated

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's cool that the game is getting another OST because that means it didn't do as badly as I thought

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Good lord I'm only halfway through B and I already feel like poo poo. Jesus.

I figured out what the general idea of the twist was gonna be during my first playthrough, when I killed the wolf boss and Nier leans in close, as if he's saying something, then the wolf looks really sad all of a sudden

The only reason the wolf part was sad to me is because it shows the wolf as a child standing next to an old man, and I did a quest earlier where an old man asks you to find his dog, and then you find it and it is DEAD, then you go back and the OLD MAN IS DEAD BECAUSE THE DOG WAS BRINGING HIM MEDICINE gently caress YOU GAME

they used the same model for the old man so for some reason I thought it was his dead dog I had just killed even though that makes no sense.

Also the saddest part of the first playthrough is during the text adventure, I had a writeup but whatever just look at this video at 3:09
SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9Ua_c803g

It's also the most direct hint that something is wrong.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mug posted:

The scene after the credits is a flashback to before the game started.

After ending A, Yonah still has the black scrawl and probably dies pretty soon after.

Wait are you sure? The scrawl is the gestalt relapsing, and since the "real" Yonah said she no longer wanted to take her body back doesn't that mean it should fade away?

Not like anything is explained very clearly other than everything is dar your life sucks death to this gay earth

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was reading parts of it as it was getting translated, is it done? Haven't read through the whole thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Picked this up after reading the thread. I'm loving the music already and I enjoy the Father and Weiss's banter. I just finished the Junkyard, and man, that was a punch in the gut ending. :(

I love reading these posts and seeing how bad they get as the person plays through the game.

More people need to play this game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

That kind of reminds me of when I bought this game at Wal-Mart. I told the clerk that I wanted to get a game out of the case, he said "let me guess, Super Mario Sunshine?" (referring to Mario Galaxy 2) and when I said I wanted Nier, he got a blank look on his face and said "oh."

edit: regarding sequel talk, I'd like to see if they could cover the other parts of the world where the project was running, besides in the Japan area where Nier takes place in. Grimoire Nier says that there were other areas where there were androids a la Popola/Devola running Project Gestalt in their respective areas, and that some of them were even able to get the Gestalts and Replicants to merge without conflict, and that maybe there's still a few surviving copies of Weiss and Noir somewhere. Maybe some of the androids escape all the crazy that happens after the Shadowlord got killed, and they meet up and try to find out what the hell happened.

Pretty sure that's a reference to the city you accidentally destroy, it seemed like people and shades intentionally lived together there. I dunno, maybe the Grimoire explains it.

Also echoing the statement that I really wanna send the Nier guys fanmail :shobon:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Haha I just looked up the new remix OST's tracklist on youtube.

5)Shadowlord (CRYING YONAH VERSION)

Yeah it's Nier

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Seriously, I had turn off the game at one of the parts the return trip to the junkyard because I was all "no, I can't do this :smith:"

This was the worst because you already knew something was wrong the your first time through the game, because the robot is The only enemy that can directly talk to you, and you kind of get the gist of what he's saying.

Fly away beepy :(

Edit: Wait no you also Talk to the Shade in the Dream, and Weiss says something like "wait Nier it's sentient, don't kill it" and Nier says "I DON'T GIVE A poo poo I AM KILLING ALL THE loving SHADES"

By the time you get to the end and Kaine finally loses her grip on things and starts replying to the enemies out loud while you don't know what they're saying you start to understand what you've done.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KamikazePotato posted:

It's left deliberately ambiguous, but I always figured that Nier had at least a sense of what he was doing. The "don't look back" speech after the Aerie Part 2 came off very much as someone who knew what he was doing was wrong, and I don't think it was just referring to the villagers. And when you fight the Shadowlord in Ending B, Nier's dialogue matches up almost perfectly to what the Shadowlord is saying despite him not being able to understand Shade language.

Nier intentionally says he doesn't give a poo poo about Sentient Shades when they meet one in that book dreamworld.

He knows but is angry enough about his daughter to not care, which is why I think it works so much better when he's a father than a brother. The whole cycle of violence thing.

• Locked thread