Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm surprised at the number of people who are basically saying 'I bought this game without really knowing what it is, and I am confused and angry now'. It's a Cavia action-RPG a confirmed to be a followup to Drakengard. You don't go into something like that expecting technical mastery or perfectly tuned gameplay. You go in expecting style, atmosphere and that strange vibe that you only get from games that genuinely feel like an individuals vision, rather than something designed to a list of bullet-points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Joystiq's Nier reviewer gave up.

It's quite surreal seeing something this small and simple breaking the brains of so many people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

bump_fn posted:

NY Times review of Nier - long story short, Schiesel wants the supreme court to play this game. :colbert: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/arts/television/04nier.html

That's pretty much the vibe I've gotten from the game so far. The gameplay is fairly basic (although can we stop this 'Admit it's objectively bad! You know it's true!' witchhunt - it's loving stupid), but everything else just comes together to result in something with so much more soul than most games released today.

It was pretty obvious that this game was going to be divisive from the very first videos released, but it seems that the dividing line seems to have fallen on the games fishing mechanics, which is just weird.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jannik posted:

I did this as well and had an awesome time with the game. I just don't get why some people do the grindy side-quests or bother upgrading weapons and then complain about those aspects of the game.

Give people the option of a pointless timesink - especially one linked to achievements/trophies - and they WILL do it. And complain about it all the way. See Hammeredspace practically giving himself an ulcer trying to grind through 100% of Star Ocean 4 (as much as I liked SO4s gameplay, I'd rather be waterboarded than 100% it).

In a perfect world, this game might go some way to break obsessive-compulsive completionists of their habit. But realistically? I don't think anyone is going to come away from this learning anything.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 4, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For us Britlandian types, the game is already down to 1/3 price (£15) at gamestation.co.uk - I had been planning on renting it, but at that price, I can just buy it, and trade it off to Playswap (formerly Goozex) for tons o' points when I'm done.

They've also got a bunch of other stuff at crazy clearance prices, including Yakuza 3. I'd be buying that as well, but I'm pinching pennies, and don't really have the time for two semi-open-world games.

Edit: It's not just the niche games they're clearing out either. They've got Modern Warfare 2 and Final Fantasy 13 at similar prices.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 7, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That actually sounds like a pretty great feature-list. As I got the game so cheap (1/3 RRP!), I may well get the DLC off the bat once it arrives.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Holy hell, The World of Recycled Vessel actually lets us play as RepliCant? Okay I'll buy that.

I'm more interested in the actual content it adds - sounds like it's a fairly sizeable chunk of gameplay. Wonder if they've got more packs like this planned?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Veotax posted:

Didn't expect it honestly, but Zero Punctuation did a review. Not too negative and has a few good points.

My only real gripe there is that he seems unable to detach 'developer' from 'publisher'. This is as much a Square-Enix game as Just Cause 2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Notinghamington posted:

Nope, you are not insane, they match, so it might be that he could be responsible for black scrawl.

Aside from a few minor variations, they just look like old Germanic runes. A common inspiration for magical script. As much as it would amuse me to have Verdelet be the reason for pretty much everything that has ever gone wrong in TWO realities, it's probably not the case here. It's just the language of magic used in the setting.

Edit: Of course, there's always the question of whether the runes can be decoded/translated at all. Apparently all the runic script and enochian chanting in Bayonetta actually translates back into English, so maybe this is the same?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 13, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

UselessLurker posted:

Cavia really can't hold their love of being giant trolls in check.

I think a lot of what gets written off as 'trolling' is really tied to achievements. For so many nowadays, they steer the gaming experience. They're a checklist of things to do.

I personally don't even look at the list. If a little 'you got an achievement' bubble pops up, then hey, that's neat. Otherwise, I play solely as I want to play. If I don't want to do filler side-quests, I won't.

It's a really bad time to be an obsessive completionist. You'd go mad, or at least pull out your hair before long.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

yeah, got this today, first reaction wasn't nice. I knew the game wasn't exactly pretty but good Lord, seeing it in motion is another thing, apart from scale some PS2 games look better than this.
the weird time skip has me intrigued enough though

So, wait, you just bought the game sight-unseen knowing practically nothing about it? That's... admirable, sorta, I suppose?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Unknown_PC posted:

Like Syvere said, yep.

The look on Niers face is absolutely priceless.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, my copy arrived today, and I've got the day off, due to unforseen circumstances. Just got past the halfway (presumably) point, and bought the DLC (only heard the first remix so far, but it's great) - I figure I can afford it as I got the game for around 1/3 RRP, due to the Game group being in dire straits business-wise.

This game is pretty much just what the doctor ordered. It's definitely more than the sum of its parts. There's so much stuff that should rightfully be annoying me, but it completely fails to here. Instead I'm looking forward to the next plot twist, the next gameplay mix-up, and the next big boss battle.

Also, Nier is the baddest motherfucker. Smearing a dozen shades across the wall in one shot, forming an enormous arc of huge red splatters is fun. This is genuinely, surprisingly fun action-RPG. Very compelling.

Unless the B-route jacks up the difficulty, I think I might bump it up to Hard once I beat the first loop.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 21, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just a bit past the halfway mark here, and all I can say is this, really.

Drakengard was a game about hate, made with hate, dripping with hate from every pore.

Nier is a game about love, and made with no shortage of it too. And it's pretty impressive how it manages to be heartwarming at the same time as having the entire group of heroes dripping with blood from head to toe.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh poo poo, I think this is the book that's supposed to include the Weapon Stories too.

Which is something that people laughed at when they first announced it, but given how much they've tightened up the writing in general for Nier, they might actually be pretty neat this time. Hopefully someone with a good grasp of both languages can translate.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've not played any further yet, but the entire first half seems designed to build an attachment between you, the world, the places you've been and the characters you've met, so that when poo poo hits the fan, you're that much more involved in the story.

Awfully dorky of me, but anyone else reminded of Gurren Lagann?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Kind of. It's a common storytelling device really

Not really so common in games, though. I can think of quite a few where you get to see the world as you play through it, then there's one last whip-round in the final section, but not too many that give you the whole first half of the game for fairly casual adventuring with no grand menaces to worry about, then crank things up for the rest.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Renoistic posted:

The wolf shade DOES call the other wolves back first time you fight them in the desert, though. Perhaps he has trouble controlling his pack :)

Just got the A-ending last night (wow, won't be forgetting that ending anytime soon), so I figure I can field this one to a degree.

While you're in the desert the second time, Weiss points out that it's strange there are wolves there at all, as there's very little to eat. They must be half-starved. Likewise, the people of Facade are growing hungry and desperate as well. Both their leaders are trying to keep them in check, but something snaps and both sides go to war, and everyone suffers.

Also, the opening for route B is spectacularly depressing. This is going to be like last time, but with heartstrings pulled to breaking point, right?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, rather than burn out and grind this game into un-funnitude, I just put my copy up on Playswap (formerly Goozex EU), and there's already requests for it. It's worth quite a bit, and that'll give me a few days to see the B route, and polish off the DLC. As there's apparently no extra content on the C/D route, I'll just youtube them and save myself a largely redundant playthrough.

All in all, I reckon I got some really unique experiences, and will probably clock about 25-ish total hours playtime on this one. Was definitely worth the £15. Even better, as it'll likely get me another £25-30 worth of games in the long run.

Definitely a game I'd reccomend as a long rental, at the very least. It's pretty rough in places, tech-wise, but (like its protagonist), it has a heart of gold.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 23, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Welp, just got ending B. That was a tearjerker if I ever saw one. And I was totally on with my estimate too, it seems - whole thing took me 25 hours, 3 minutes.

Well done Cavia. They've really grown as a studio. Can't wait to see what they do next - and as Nier has been a major hit in Japan, I hope they have a higher budget to play with next time round.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

It's something only really briefly touched upon and never directly admitted in-game.

Well, kinda. It IS apparently the reason why her entire village - a neverending festival of hateful, paranoid assholes it seems - considered her a mutant freak.

Anyone else pick up on the crushingly depressing irony that the Aerie finally got over its fear of everything, apparently, and became the first human settlement to peacefully coexist with the shades... right up until Nier turns up and kills every last living creature within a two mile radius.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 23, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

and he doesn't feel that bad about it. What I liked more though was how during Ending B playthrough the villagers screams seemed mostly directed at Nier murdering everyone, instead at the reveal of the shades
I seriously love this game

Well, in that case (and in general) Nier really isn't aware that the shades are anything but monsters - increasingly clever monsters, perhaps, but there's very little evidence he's seen that they're anything other than an evil to be destroyed. He's rushing around trying to 'save' the people from the shades that are around them, either unaware or in full-on denial that they're working together. On top of that, Kaine is fully aware of the full situation, but she deliberately keeps quiet, probably because she knows it would shatter Niers resolve if he knew he was actually killing innocent women and children as they begged for mercy.

The characters in general are shockingly well written. Convincingly flawed, and utterly human.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Just got to Facade for the first time, how far into the game am I?

Not very far. There's a very defined halfway point that you're still some distance from.

As for upgrading weapons, I found that I didn't need to do that at all, really. If you just buy stuff from stores now and then, you'll be more than well equipped for anything the game throws at you.

Anything above level 1 on the late-game weapons is utterly overkill. I finished the whole game with two weapon upgrades, 70% of the weapons, and having fished a total of one time. I also never found the Niers field for growing stuff, so consider that skipped too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Syvere posted:

Well at least for once the English is better version, who could have guessed?

Square-Enix have a really great translation/casting agency. The re-released enhanced version of Final Fantasy 12 in Japan had all the speech in English, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Renoistic posted:

But they still refused to release it in the West. :(

There's a fan-patch that applies english text to it, though, so we win out in the end. Square really do need to do their re-releases internationally in the future though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RotationSurgeon posted:

Hey guys, should I be bothering doing these boring rear end fishing quests? Are they worth it eventually, or do you only get fish to sell for money?

I fished a total of one time in the entire game, and didn't do any farming at all. There's no reason to do it other than feeding crippling gamer OCD.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I spend 95% of the game with Block swapped out for a third spell hotkey. I found melee-countering projectiles to be far more effective anyway. If you block a bullet, you get knocked back a bit, but if you hit it, you move forwards.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Aw drat, it's got the Weapon stories!

Here's hoping a good fan-translation group have a stab at them, at the very least. A very good one - it'll be hard to live up to the standards set by the translation of the game itself.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Don't worry Mr. Saito, I liked your game. I will buy another one of your games provided it is not Bullet Witch 2.

Hell, I'd buy a Bullet Witch 2 if the leap from first to second game was as big as Drakengard to Nier.

(Drakengard 2 never happened - it's official now)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Holy poo poo the DLC remixes pretty much the entire soundtrack in one song?

It's actually seperate tracks in the DLC. Not sure how he got that extended mix version of it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Friendly Factory posted:

I passed on this game initially because of the universal negativity directed at it from reviewers. I'm not too crazy for action JRPGs, so that didn't help matters. However, I recently read the Destructoid review for Nier, which said that although the game was terrible, the story was one of the best this generation. Is the story really good enough to suffer through the fishing and ladder climbing? I might pick it up if it is.

The game isn't terrible, though. It's not great, but it's hugely varied (it shifts into a top-down twinstick shooter, survival horror, isometric dungeon crawl or even a text adventure at a moments notice), and there's maybe a dozen ladders you have to climb in the game, and I don't think a single one is longer than six seconds to climb if you just jump up it.

I also fished a total of once in the entire game (a roughly 30-second process). It's one of those things where people find something they hate, it's entirely optional and has no bearing on the plot, but they find themselves insanely compelled to complete it. There may or may not be tropies/achievements linked to it, but I don't care about those.

This is probably the most accurate review to date, really.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 1, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cross posted:

Does Hard Mode in this game improve the game in any way?

It's basically there as an option for anyone who has outlevelled everything and is killing bosses in five seconds, and you can change difficulty at any time. Otherwise, not worth it at all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I'll mourn them for Nier's sake, but I don't think the games industry will be losing too much with them gone.

They were one of the very few Japanese studios willing to break away from the current strain of ultra-mass-market sugarcoated pop-fantasy crap and actually take risks. There's really not many other companies that can step up to bat here.

Really lovely news, this.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The thing with Nier is that, whatever its technical flaws may be, you can really feel that it was a labor of love. This game has soul. That's rare these days. Very rare.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Is the DLC any good? I don't have access to PSN anymore, but am really curious.

Also I just got to 5 years later on my first playthrough, and I feel like all the poo poo leading up to now was apparently a tutorial since I now have access to all the weapons and such. Am I far off?

That's about the halfway point, and the point the plot picks up again from on the second loop. And yes, the game has just switched up into high gear.

As for the DLC, it's a series of increasingly psychadelic pure-arcade battles (very bullet hell for the most part) with a little bit of backstory tying the game into Drakengard a little more. It also has amazing music. I'm kinda on the fence as to whether it was worth the few bucks, but the music makes me lean towards 'yes'.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 3, 2010

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The gameplay is magnificent, so's the music. Glad to own both.

I do NOT like ending D though, as it makes almost no sense for the character. Why would Nier sacrifice himself after fighting so long to get his daughter back? It just seems out of character for his father persona. Maybe I'm just hurt because I love Jamieson Price too much.

Because he wasn't fighting to have her back - he was fighting to save her. She's safe now, but Kaine - who he practically thinks of as family by now - is going to die. So he sacrifices himself, so that the two of them can live on. Dude is just plain heroic.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Dude damned the entire human race to extinction in less than a generation, and murdered countless innocent women and children in cold blood to do it.

And was completely ignorant of all of this. Kaine knew what was going on, but specifically didn't tell him. He remained a hero in a world of tragedies.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fereydun posted:

maybe this from the interviews on the grimoire nier collection

Yeah, that'd be the most logical game to do next. Seems to be a particularly dark science-fantasy period in the settings history, so could make for some pretty interesting scenes.

But, let's be realistic here. It's unlikely we'll ever see another Cavia project again, unless they get back together ala Platinum.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

:(

If you're using that emote now, you're going to be slitting your wrists later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's cool that the game is getting another OST because that means it didn't do as badly as I thought

I recall reading that it actually sold pretty well - debuted straight in at #1 in Japan. Unfortunately, it seems that Cavia were doomed, no matter what happened sales-wise.

• Locked thread