Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I put this game down nearly two weeks ago after getting stuck and am interested in resuming my current playthrough, however, I require some help:
Early on in the game (after the boss fight where Kaine helps me fight that huge monster that escapes) whatsherface tells me to visit the tavern to see if I can find any jobs there. What am I supposed to do? If I recall correctly, the bartender keeps repeating lines from a sidequest I accepted early on in the game before being given the order to go there, the woman playing the guitar wants me to do some grinding sidequest, and the other people there just have nothing to say.
What am I supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Xythar: It's the same developers but I don't think it's the same team. Demon's Souls was made by the people who made King's Field... I don't think those same people made Enchanted Arms, or Tenchu, or any number of other From Software games.

Surely I can't be the only one who likes to imagine that the team who made Demon's Souls is the same one who worked on Metal Wolf Chaos. :v:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I read the OP and skimmed through the thread, but is there any consensus on whether the PS3 or 360 version is better? I've been interested in Nier and it's pretty cheap on Amazon these days but I haven't been able to find any information on differences between the two except for Gestalt and Replicant.

I've tried both and they're the same as long as you install the PS3 version on the hard drive. Otherwise it has longer loading times than it's Xbox 360 counterpart.

I decided to restart this game (I got distracted by other titles a few months ago and forgot about it) and I'm getting mentally prepared to get every trophy. I hate myself.
The banter between Nier and Weiss is great though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Can the "beat the game in 15 hours" trophy be gotten on New Game +? I'm on my first playthrough now having just seen the "Five Years Later cutscene and I'm at over 15 hours of gameplay. Granted, 4 of those are from leaving the game paused once.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just spent between 2-3 hours catching all types of fish. :suicide:
The dialogue and music made it worth it though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just finished the game with ending B today and there's a few things I want to know:

This one was answered in the game, but I may as well just ask since I'm not sure: Are shades and gestalts the same or different things altogether? If so, have they been alive for the past 1400 years? If we go by Gestalt Nier then age is no issue for them.

How did Gestalt Nier find the Grimoire Noir during the game's prologue? What makes him so important that he, of all people, became the shadowlord?

What exactly was the full purpose of the replicants? From what I gathered in the game it was supposed to be:
Rebuild the world. Eventually have their respective shade/gestalt take control of them through force or just accepting it. That's about it.

What does killing the Shadowlord do? One of the side-quests indicates Nier believes all shades will die once the Shadowlord is killed. From what very little I read of the Grimoire Nier document this is exactly what happens, along with the replicants eventually dying out because... they can't reproduce or something and all of humanity eventually going extinct.

Plot-wise the only things I have left are endings C and D, but I want to get the weapon upgrade trophies first because I hate myself. Is the DLC better for this kind of thing? I checked it out and noticed the third door had plenty of rare drops, though I'm betting it's not going to be that easy and there's a lot I'll have to grind through normal painful means.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How exactly does gardening work? I'm following this to obtain the white moonflower but I can't even get a peach moonflower. I fast forwarded the clock 36 hours but all I get is a large number of red/gold/blue seeds back. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: Don't worry Policenaut, I shall be joining you eventually. The Platinum will be mine. :unsmith:

:suicide:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How does item grinding in this game work? I'm going to start looking for black pearls soon. If I don't find any in the marked spots on Seafront, can I reload from my last save from the options menu or will the results always be the same? I've heard that you actually have to quit the game back to the PS3 XMB then start it again and load your save file if you want a better chance at getting them.

How does the game handle the big robot spawns in the Junk Heap? Going from one area to another then returning just causes the game to spawn regular weak robots instead. The only solution seems to be leaving the Junk Heap itself then entering again, which means I have to go through that tedious on-rails section every time. Can I just save my game in the room before the boss fight then load it to get the big robots to respawn?

Is there any fast way of killing the flying shades in the desert or do I have to sit there using the dark blast? They float so fast I tend to miss most shots unless I'm really close. Those shields they use don't help either.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just upgraded all weapons. gently caress forlorn necklaces.
Got ending C as well. What happened to Yonah?

The only tedious trophy I now have left is gardening, which may or may not be wore than the weapon upgrades one.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I missed 13 sidequests in the game which were all in part 1 but I couldn't complete because I didn't know about the point of no return.
I just got the legendary gardener trophy, took about two hours of tedium. I only have the ending D and 15 hours trophies to get. I'll do another playthrough first then do ending D to cap off the story. My in-game timer says I've played for 70 hours. NieR is slowly shattering my mind.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I bought this friggin' game three times. $60 for NIER, $70 for a copy of Replicant that turned out to be Gestalt PS3 because people in Hong Kong are bad at eBay, and another $70 just for an actual copy of Replicant.

This loving game. God drat you Cavia. You weren't satisfied with that and you made soundtracks, and art books, and DLC, I just know you're planning some sort of special thing worth a ridiculous amount that you'll want me to buy. Where does it end?!!

Go buy an Xbox 360 and another copy of the game then get all achievements for it too. :smug:

About to start my second complete playthrough for the speedrun trophy, not looking forward to the Barren Temple section or that block pushing in the Lost Shrine.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I really liked Kaine and Emil because instead of basing their entire personalities around their gender/sexuality like most games would do they wrote them like actual human beings. Another writer would've had Emil floating around talking about how much he wants to gently caress a men or how cute a guy is and Kaine constantly making jokes about having a dick.

Edit: This game is also a good example on how to build characters without having fifty million scripted events or cutscenes. You are just going around playing the game killing Shades while Nier & co. talk in the background.

Nier owns.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Just remember, regarding Emil, Even though he's survived and is now going to spend weeks, possibly months or even years making his way back to his friends, either Kaine has been murdered by Nier, or else his memory of everything that has happened will have been wiped, meaning he has no understanding of why he is suddenly a sphere with a freaky face in the middle of the desert. He's pretty boned.

Not to mention he's probably going to be the only "human" left on earth. Unless the androids and his butler (who is an early android I assume?) cannot die either unless killed.

quote:

I just started playing this, and it seems pretty fun so far. Are the sidequests going to go away if I keep progressing through the story, or can I always go back to them?

When you're sent to find vapor moss in your village you'll have to go somewhere to pick it up, the moment you grab it the first point of no return will happen. So finish all the sidequests you want until that point before doing it.
The second point of no return happens near the end of the game and you're warned about it, so it's not as bad.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Just got my Platinum, took around 85 hours. :suicide:

Ending D is the epitome of :unsmith:.

Is it ever explained what that green fog some large shades expel is? Grimoire Nier seems to mention nothing.

Also, what's up with Tyrann having a change of heart all of a sudden?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Here's something I've been meaning to ask for a while but keep forgetting:
Does Weiss have multiple lines during the Kaine battle on the C and D endings? During my absolute last playthrough of the game apparently I was taking too long to kill her and Weiss' disembodied voice said "What are you waiting for you f-f-fool?! Strike the killing blow!" Which I thought was rather :smith: since it drives home how enthralled him and Nier had gotten with committing genocide on the shades. Does he say anything else or is that it?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Memory Alloy is the easiest rare material to get in the entire game: Just beeline past the on-rails section and fight the large robot after the loading screen. If it doesn't drop a memory alloy let yourself get killed by the smaller ones and Continue, you'll start before the fight with the large robot again and have another chance at getting the item drop. You can do the same for the two robots after it, if the first doesn't drop anything let yourself get killed by the second and when you continue you'll fight the first again.
I got lucky once and got 3 Memory Alloys in as row this way.

Those necklaces from the Shaman Shades can go gently caress themselves, though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Once you reach 20-30 in the combo counter all heavy weapon attacks become significantly faster. I'm sure the same applies for the spears and normal swords, but it's less noticeable.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, except at least one of his friends is going to be dead should he ever get back, and there's a pretty good chance that he'll soon be the only "living" thing on the entire planet after Nier's shenanigan.

I'm sure his butler and whatever androids remain will also stay alive.

Edit: vvvvvv Cavia :allears:

GUI fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 28, 2011

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Alright, only one ending left, but I have heard warnings about ending D so let me ask before I do it.

Does it delete every save file for the game. Like, if I make two saves prior to getting it, or have saves from further back in the game, can I play those, or will it delete everything?

Also, is the DLC worth doing, or should I just wait to see it in the LP?

It deletes every single save file in the game, even save files from other playthroughs.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't think there's ever any use for the coloring books.

Edit: vvvvv :smithicide:

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 3, 2011

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The full version plays when you fight Goose with the prince and his army. And a more subdued version plays during the room before the fight with the Shadowlord with more layers of music being removed the further you go.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Like I said many months ago:

GUI posted:

Memory Alloy is the easiest rare material to get in the entire game: Just beeline past the on-rails section and fight the large robot after the loading screen. If it doesn't drop a memory alloy let yourself get killed by the smaller ones and Continue, you'll start before the fight with the large robot again and have another chance at getting the item drop. You can do the same for the two robots after it, if the first doesn't drop anything let yourself get killed by the second and when you continue you'll fight the first again.
I got lucky once and got 3 Memory Alloys in as row this way.

Those necklaces from the Shaman Shades can go gently caress themselves, though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you're looking for orchestrated video game music there's always Castlevania: Lords of Shadow in addition to the ones already mentioned.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You increase your health and magic bars by levelling up. Experience is gotten from killing enemies.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd prefer Nier's characters just have cameo appearances in games as opposed to becoming a franchise. It works infinitely better as a stand-alone title as opposed to becoming another video game franchise that keeps getting milked until it ceases to produce profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wasn't either Yoko or Swery working on a PSP/Vita title at one point? It was either linked here early last year or somewhere else.

• Locked thread