Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

RedMagus posted:

Man, I'm gonna have to pick this up.

So compared to Drakengard, how likely is this to screw up The Dark Id if he ever does an LP of it?

It's like falling in love with a violent palsied elephant, only instead of love it's soul-crushing depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Rei_ posted:

That said, my roommate and I are playing through this game together and she says she has a hard time relating to the MC, despite everyone else. He doesn't seem to have a lot of character himself, she says. I'm wondering if she's right. She's had an easier time relating to War in Darksiders because he WAS so bland, but Nier himself seems to be in a middle ground between fully fleshed out and a blank slate, just enough development to make it hard to put yourself in his shoes.

He's completely single-minded. This makes him very difficult to relate to but his unwavering and simple devotion makes the latter half of the game much more emotionally significant the first time through. The other NPCs humanize him through interaction, enough that you can be properly horrified by his lack of depth. Makes him feel less like a shallow character in a game and more like a shallow and violent but somewhat sympathetic human being.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Xythar posted:

For the quest "A Shade Entombed", what the gently caress is a Time-Forgetting Monkey? :psyduck:

That's code for don't drag rear end.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Policenaut posted:

N4G is like the National Enquirer of video game news and I've never heard of the site they source, which apparently has no source, but I've heard of this news story before.

There's basically nothing they can make a sequel out of Nier, but there's 1000 years worth of crazy poo poo from Point A to Ending D worth looking at.

Or a post-D ending where the world is populated by the machines and ghosts and books and other weird things that aren't replicants or shades. It could be a physics-based platformer starring Emil's head.

Edit: Emil's head trying to fit in at robot highschool.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

GUI posted:

I just finished the game with ending B today and there's a few things I want to know:

This one was answered in the game, but I may as well just ask since I'm not sure: Are shades and gestalts the same or different things altogether? If so, have they been alive for the past 1400 years? If we go by Gestalt Nier then age is no issue for them.

How did Gestalt Nier find the Grimoire Noir during the game's prologue? What makes him so important that he, of all people, became the shadowlord?

What exactly was the full purpose of the replicants? From what I gathered in the game it was supposed to be:
Rebuild the world. Eventually have their respective shade/gestalt take control of them through force or just accepting it. That's about it.

What does killing the Shadowlord do? One of the side-quests indicates Nier believes all shades will die once the Shadowlord is killed. From what very little I read of the Grimoire Nier document this is exactly what happens, along with the replicants eventually dying out because... they can't reproduce or something and all of humanity eventually going extinct.

Plot-wise the only things I have left are endings C and D, but I want to get the weapon upgrade trophies first because I hate myself. Is the DLC better for this kind of thing? I checked it out and noticed the third door had plenty of rare drops, though I'm betting it's not going to be that easy and there's a lot I'll have to grind through normal painful means.

PLOT OF NIER:
You can sort of piece it together from the black pages that sometimes show up on loading screens - Nier and Yonah were test subjects. Every prior attempt to sidestep extinction by way of the white chlorination had largely failed, resulting in the mindless shades you fight in the prologue. Father and daughter escaped before the process was complete, but the catalyst - Noir - followed them. Eventually they succumbed to the book. Nier took to it better than Yonah. They were probably recaptured shortly after the prologue - we know that Shadowlord/Nier was used after his transformation into a Gestalt as the template for all the humans who followed, which is why they are tied in to him. It probably wasn't long before there were no flesh-and-blood humans remaining: Just the Shadowlord and his derivative Gestalts, a bunch of robots, and a handful of side-projects started in desperation as the world was ending (e.g. - Emil, Memory Tree.) The next thousand or so years were probably very boring. Robots monitor the plague/white chlorination syndrome as it slowly leaves the atmosphere, Gestalts start to lose their minds (although some - Tyrann and Goose and Hansel and Gretel, and others - continue to evolve), Shadowlord pines over his comatose shade-daughter, and Emil wanders around his mansion/prison in a fugue while his robot handlers - running off of their last instructions - continue to watch him. Eventually things are stable enough that the robots can begin growing and releasing human Replicants for reintegration with their Gestalts. This is where things start to go wrong again - the process of joining is violent and frequently fatal, because the Shadowlord isn't exactly helping. His cooperation - and Noir's - are necessary if things are to go well and not turn all black-scrawl terrible when the shades attempt to re-inhabit their Replicant bodies, but he's not interested in playing ball until he gets his daughter back. Once that's happened, things change - following the Shadowlord's capture of Yonah's Replicant at the mid-point of the game (and the five-year jump that follows) the Aerie is fully shade-controlled (though whether this occurred with or without the Shadowlord's assistance is unclear, and largely irrelevant) and Popola/Devola begin actively working with the Shadowlord as opposed to sulking on the Earth's sunward pole with their Replicant herd because he won't return any of their phonecalls. Yonah is complete, and the only thing that remains standing in the way of the resurrection of the human race is the Shadowlord's wayward Replicant.

Outlier theories:
Shade Wolf: Exactly what it looks like in the B-game flashback. A one-off gesture of compassion and friendship, possibly (though not definitely) the only example of its kind.
Shade brood/Goose: Also more or less exactly what it looks like. After several centuries with nothing better to do a handful of shades came to terms with their condition and figured out a way to continue forward as a true species in their own right.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, that explains things a lot better. I should just re-read Grimoire when I get the chance.

I haven't looked at it - what I posted above is what I arrived at from playing through the game. I'm kind of afraid to read the official explanations, I don't want my house-of-cards plot synopsis to collapse. :ohdear:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Okay, finished Ending A:

I'm still not quite sure what Grimoire Weiss and Noir are supposed to do, and I'm still confused about what exactly Gestalt and Replicant are. Replicants are the shells of humans that are awaiting to be possessed, right? Will it all be explained in later playthroughs, or did I miss something?

I guess read my post on the last page if you're still confused after ending B.

Edit: I haven't really considered how Weiss fits in, although I guess it's possible that he's certain vital components of Noir that Shadowlord removed and re-bound and sealed away to keep Noir/the robot caretakers from using him to forcibly restart the human race before he'd gotten his daughter back.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2011

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Policenaut posted:

It's possible that Father Nier might have done it when he was younger, after all Brother Nier and Father Nier are the same person just at different points of replication.

Though it might have been creepy to do it when Yonah wasn't even born yet.

A hard man, at that.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Visti posted:

Oh man, it gets worse.

Actually, that should be the tagline of this game.

I dunno, the whole milieu in the junkyard stands out for me as probably the most concentrated nugget of :smith: in the game. "Hey kid, I'm really sorry you're going hungry 'cause your mom got killed by robots in the process of abandoning you and your brother for the dude she'd been loving. Would you mind making me a sword or some poo poo?" is a pretty low starting point, and it's a ride straight down from there. Murdering an orphaned boy adventurer and his trusty robot pal in a failed bid to secure some sort of closure for the unstable one-armed psychopath that makes you new weapons is the most feel-bad scenario this game has to offer, at least in my opinion.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

TechnoRobot posted:

The worst part about the mom was that she was with a known womanizer (a different sidequest reveals this) that swindled all the women he met.

Though, I didn't know:

Gideon was missing a loving ARM?! I didn't even notice, holy gently caress. That just makes the run through I just did even more depressing. :smith:

He hacked it to ribbons as penance for ripping Jacob's arm off after he was crushed to death. He replaced it with a non-functioning robot arm to serve as a reminder.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Chexmix posted:

Just hearing about the announcement makes me want to try and finish up this game. I got Ending B, but I didn't bother going for C and D. Maybe I'll do it now.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I'd love a sequel or prequel ... :ohdear:

Regarding sequels, Adventures of Skullball in Desert World seems a little narrow compared to the scope of Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

White ones are even more involved and you need one for an achievement. They're also the biggest cash crop.

In a game where currency is all but useless.

• Locked thread