Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
jazzbanjo
Jan 12, 2010

Improvisational jazz banjoists will be shot on sight.
Same here - thanks to everyone (EVERYone) for a fun year's bruting, catch you when the Major wheels me out next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Gezora would like to thank all its faithful customers for once again gracing its establishment with their presence. Gezora has shared the good times and the bad, it has drank with you and has eaten a few of you as well. Gezora will cherish these memories as it bides its time eating orphans, pouring chemically and biologically impossible beverages for itself, and waiting for the time to come when it's services are once again needed.

Gezora bids you adieu until next time. Gezora hopes to see you all again next year when it can surreptitiously drug you with special drinks and devour you all at its leisure.

Gezora can't wait!

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:frog::hf::frog:

Here's the credits, as promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-sutvtloI

A massive thanks to everyone involved.

I think that about wraps it up for this year's Zoofights, Major Failure might have some final remarks before he closes the thread, but I'll see the rest of you next year.

Aw, that was nice.

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment, and thanks for the chance to participate! I got my postcards, and they're bitchin' rad!

Can't wait for next year!

The Mad Hatter
Aug 14, 2008
I'd just like to throw in my few thoughts about the discussion that's been taking place, before the thread is closed. I just came in on Zoofights last year, so my opinions are coloured by this.

RolePlay

I feel RP is a big part of zoofights and should stay a part of it. If done right it's fun, it encourages debate and make for a fuller universe. It is some of which makes up the zoofights universe. As many have pointed out, zoofights would be completely different without Gezora. But also the variety of different people make for a special feel and atmosphere.
Of course, bad roleplay makes for so many problems I don't want to start listing them. So this should be avoided.

There was some talk about pre-existing characters or not. Last year I played a somewhat unknown character, this year I started one that's not really a character at all, but changed to a very, very well-known character. Someone said I didn't ruin it with Kirk, for which I'm glad. I was very worried it would be too high-profile to fit in. But then Gezora greeted him, and I took that as an approval :shobon:

There is a big advantage with pre-existing characters; they're already known. People have an idea about how the character is, and what to expect. This makes it easier for the readers, and for the writer. Writers can play on what they know about the characters, make references and generally use the existing knowledge to make things more interesting.
If you start with a new character, you have to build it from ground-up, and introduce it to people. Which can be difficult if everybody's doing it. I have trouble keeping up with all the characters as it is.

Of course, make a completely new and original character is a rewarding experience for both writer and reader.

However, all this is moot if the RP is bad. Therefore, I feel the only rule there should be is; "The staff decides". And the unwritten rules that are established.
There should be leniency for people making awesome side-stories that add to the experience. And it should be possible to stop someone when things just seem to get bad, even without anything definite.

More arguing about fighters

I like this idea. It's at the centre of zoofights. So I'm glad there's the rule about having to argue for your vote. But for me at least, the incentive ends there. I feel that sometimes the arguing doesn't matter, since only votes count in the end. You can counter any argument for fighter A, but if you're the only one voting for fighter B, A's going to win.

Therefore, I propose the idea Good arguments get votes. I imagine a thing like voting going on as it is, but the staff announcing at the end of the vote; "And because of good points raised for fighter B, B gets +5 votes". Of course, the balancing depending on how good the arguments were.

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but I'd like to put it out for consideration. It would put more power into the staff, but I feel that's no problem. It would just be a good way to reward good arguing and a fighter that has an obvious advantage. The underdog should always have a chance, though, that's one of the most awesome aspects of zoofights too.

Well, that's what I feel the most about. Sorry for all the text. Again, thanks for a great season, everyone! Can't wait for the next one! Maybe underwater, so we could have a majority of land-based creatures?

The Mad Hatter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 25, 2010

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Mad Hatter posted:

Therefore, I propose the idea Good arguments get votes. I imagine a thing like voting going on as it is, but the staff announcing at the end of the vote; "And because of good points raised for fighter B, B gets +5 votes". Of course, the balancing depending on how good the arguments were.

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but I'd like to put it out for consideration. It would put more power into the staff, but I feel that's no problem. It would just be a good way to reward good arguing and a fighter that has an obvious advantage. The underdog should always have a chance, though, that's one of the most awesome aspects of zoofights too.

from the OP of this actual thread

Major Failure posted:

The outcome of the fight will be decided by your arguments, your conviction and your anger. Make clear which contender you think will win the brawl, and if possible shout down and rubbish anyone who disagrees with you.

Generally, there will be 48 hours between the announcement of a fight and the fight itself, to allow time for it to be drawn, coloured and possibly animated. In that time, we will monitor the strength of arguments here and on the website via a scoring system, and then feed that into a random number generator to get a result.

Basically, one word votes don't count, and every word said in support of an underdog increases the chances of a surprise victory against the odds.

So yeah, your idea has been in effect from the word go, the only difference is they don't actually announce the outcome (which wouldn't be practical anyway, given the sheer number of posts, it would just bee unnecessary clutter)

The Mad Hatter
Aug 14, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

So yeah, your idea has been in effect from the word go, the only difference is they don't actually announce the outcome (which wouldn't be practical anyway, given the sheer number of posts, it would just bee unnecessary clutter)

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. When I read that, I saw it more as fluff, not really a normal, integrated part of the system.

Then I propose that it be more obvious. If people can think "Yes! They saw my argument that the poison of a rocket-powered black widow would be in such a small dose it would only make the ten-tonne bunny more aggressive and pump his blood-canons harder", well, they really want to argue. I realise this sort of thing can't be made obvious in every fight, but if from time to time people were made aware that the arguments, and not the votes, made a real difference.

Or maybe I'm just oblivious to it, there could be that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Major Failure and The crew do highlight what they thought were really good posts from time to time, and while not actually awarding points in public, it was very clear to me that these posts were being used to bump the scores of the competitors. I think a couple of times someone outright said a particular post made a big difference

Gestalt Pie
May 21, 2008

That's all that was in the cupboard!

The Mad Hatter posted:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. When I read that, I saw it more as fluff, not really a normal, integrated part of the system.

Then I propose that it be more obvious. If people can think "Yes! They saw my argument that the poison of a rocket-powered black widow would be in such a small dose it would only make the ten-tonne bunny more aggressive and pump his blood-canons harder", well, they really want to argue. I realise this sort of thing can't be made obvious in every fight, but if from time to time people were made aware that the arguments, and not the votes, made a real difference.

Or maybe I'm just oblivious to it, there could be that.

If you look back, you'll find that from the beginning, the team has incorporated the most popular and/or the most inspired arguments into the final fight, although they don't have a direct effect on the outcome (that's all voting and tractoring territory). I can think of several examples from this year off the top of my head, if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Failure
May 31, 2003

I'm in your loft, checking out your ghostbusters.
Sports Fans,

It's been swell. Cheers for your post-match input, and goodnight.

Thanks for keeping me busy through the last few months, it really helped the time fly by. I just picked up Mrs F from the airport - after a year of waiting, she is now a legal resident of the UK.

As such, I'm going to take a nice, long rest from the internet.

Keep your eyes open as the autumn progresses, though - I'll be doing some bits here and there for the site, and I daresay we'll all find ourselves here again before too long.

So, without further ado - let's sail this thing away.

MF out.