Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Plushies! Dolls and stuffed toys! We all had them as children (well, I did. I am just extrapolating off that fact), but that doesn't mean that we can't have them as adults. Now that we're older, we can make them ourselves!

This thread is for:
- Plushies you are working on
- Plushies you are planning on doing
- Finished Plushies

This thread is not for
- Posting other people's plush work

If you want a commission, post a request in the thread, or message an artist directly! You can post art or drawings of something you're interested in, but don't ask us to copy someone else's plush work for you.

Do not post work that is not your own.

You can find all of my art at http://brainbread.deviantart.com - I also take commissions and the like.

With that said, lets see what you got!

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Oo me! I'm a quilter, but love making plushies/softies becuase they're a nice small project. I started out simple:

And have started branching out into things with four legs:

and recently, am getting into dolls:

(Please excuse the horrific photos) I like the idea that someone found this guy, patched him up and is using him for something a bit evil. Anyway, they keep me amused.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fantastic work on the Rabbit and Elephant. I am still trying to work on the whole arms/legs thing. Tentacles are so much easier to make.

The beads for eyes works really well, to. What kind of fabric did you use for your four-legged critters?

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I love your cuttle! It's gorgeous. The elephant is like a light grey linen and an old sheet I found in an op shop - and the rabbit is a denim colour cotton - with red butterfly quilting cotton belly.

The elephant ('Nellie'!) was the most tricky and most fun. The tusks were the best!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Alright I'll bite.

Here's an owl pillow that I made for the ladyfriend last year:

A dinosaur hat for my friend's birthday. Here he is, thrilled to be modeling it:

The first thing I have ever sewn. A squid plush done by hand:

All designs are my own since I can never find patterns of what I want to make. Does anyone have any good resources for plushie inspiration?

I'm currently making a backpack based off the squid design though, so maybe I'll post pictures of that once it's finished.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
nolen, tell me you have an etsy shop because I need to show the world that Dinosaur hat.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Wandering Knitter posted:

nolen, tell me you have an etsy shop because I need to show the world that Dinosaur hat.

I think I signed up for one but never fully set it up. My eventual plan of action is to set up a site with a catalog of my plush creations for sale.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

A backpack/messenger bag based off the squid would be awesome. I have a messenger bag I can probably convert. I'll get working on one as soon as I have the time.

Pretty much any sort of cephalopod container would be an improvement. I can't way to see how your's turns out!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I started in '08 after a goon named Plethora (I think) posted a thread about the sock monsters she made.

So far most of what I've done has all been made of socks and sewn by completely by hand.

Here's attempt #2: Oh God the Neck!

Attempt #3: Getting Better But the Arms Are Oddly Placed

Click here for the full 522x696 image.

I don't remember 4 but this one is labeled #5: My coworker see them and asks for something bright and pink

#6: Same pattern as 3 but still off

#7: SocktoKitty! SocktoKitty makes me happy

#8: I discover babies love Cthulhu start something and wind up quite distracted (same design from #2)

#9: I decide to make a proper Cthulhu for a baby's First Birthday Present (This one I used fleece and an actual sewing machine for)

Baby shows admiration for the Elder God by placing tentacles and wings in mouth
(Not pictured, I'm not sure my friends want me posting pictures of their kid on SA)

I want to make more Cthulhus for other friends with small children but I'm not entirely happy with the pattern. Here's the pattern I started with: http://missvee.deviantart.com/art/Cthulhu-Pattern-45259107 I wound up making up my own arms, wings and extending the tentacles. I'd love feedback or suggestions.

Also I'd love to see some kind of squid bag or whatever you come up with

Xoobee
Mar 25, 2005

The Amazing Rataroo!
I'd really love to make a creative plushie of some sort, but my talent at sewing sucks. :( However I shall try the Cthulhu pattern and see what happens...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have some plush monsters, but my photos aren't that great. :ohdear:

Here's the original demented bunny I made for my little sister's birthday. I put a mouth on it, decided it was too evil, took the mouth off and put a heart instead.

Mr. Bear. I made it for someone in my D&D group since it was a prop that went along with his character. He turned out to be a racist/sexist/homophobic idiot so I stole the bear back.

King Torg. I made him for my brother's 30th birthday. He used to take him to 40k tournaments for good luck until he accidently left the little fellow at the store overnight. Now it stays by his computer.

Knacklebee. My Master Piece. I wish I had a better picture, but he's recently gone missing (I suspect he's packed away with the Christmas stuff). A completely original pattern knitted out of yarn grown, sheered, dyed and spun in Kutztown PA. Another gift for my brother. He's a character in one of my brother's horror stories believe it or not.

I want to make more monsters but I never seem to have the free time to create anymore. :smith:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Alrighty. Squidpack is finished and has been shipped off to the lucky lady.

It turned out fairly decent. I'm not thrilled with it but it definitely could have came out worse.

A shot of the lining for the inside:

edit: Uh, something weird is going on when I try to add images or urls and it just makes my post empty. Will try again later, I guess?

edit II: there we go.

nolen fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 14, 2010

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
Do any of you guys exclusively hand sew? I would like to get creative with some sewing but even second hand machines are too expensive here, especially given I don't know if it's something I'd take to.

I guess I'm wondering if it's too tedious/difficult? :(

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Eden posted:

Do any of you guys exclusively hand sew? I would like to get creative with some sewing but even second hand machines are too expensive here, especially given I don't know if it's something I'd take to.

I used to hand-sew only, but it is rather tedious. I do most of my stitching with a machine now, and only hand-sew when I am unable to really "get at it". If you are doing small projects, you can do it entirely by hand - but once you start getting into anything of reasonable size, then it can become problematic.

So yeah, if you keep it small you'll be fine - but if you want to expand, prepare for an exponential increase in time consumption.

Also, sewing machines will make your stitching a lot more reliable, and stronger. So if you are making a toy or something for actual use (like, for children), a sewing machine is almost a must. If its just for display, you can get away with hand-sewing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Eden posted:

I cheat and knit. In fact I go out of my way with felting and picking up stitches in order not to sew.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Eden posted:

I did all but one of the projects in my earlier post by hand. The only one I really considered tedious was the SocktoKitty, and that's because it has (8) 8 inch long tentacles so the tentacles themselves are about 128 inches of hand sewing. It wasn't really too bad but I might be more patient than you. I kind of like hand sewing in that I can do it while I'm sitting on the couch watching TV or a movie with my husband.

I've never really done any other sewing so I was in the same boat as you about a machine. I lucked into finding a 1970 era Singer in a Thrift Store for $1.29. It was kinda gross from spending what looks like quite some time in a chain-smokers house, but I was able to clean it up pretty well and find a PDF of the manual online. So if you don't mind putting some effort into it you may be able to find something that would work. I'm pretty amused that I've now spent more on thread, replacement needles and bobbins than I spent on the machine.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

quote:

Eden posted:

I guess I'm wondering if it's too tedious/difficult?

I love to handsew, and have handsewn all my softies. I only don't machine sew becuase I find the small scale quite difficult (I'm used to sewing quilts!). You could definitely machine sew though.

I enjoy the handsewing, becuase it's something I do in front of the TV.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?

Eden posted:

After ten years, on and off, all mine are hand-sewn. I suck at machine-sewing. This does mean it takes forever so my flat is not filled with soft things.

Fully jointed bear made for new niece in February.

NationStates custom plushie for the mod I'm attached to. Excuse the crumbs.

And for contrast, machine sewn Get Out Frog.

All my own patterns.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

nolen posted:

It turned out fairly decent. I'm not thrilled with it but it definitely could have came out worse.

What are you talking about? Squidpack is loving awesome. Man, I wish I had a quarter of the sewing skills of some of you have people around here.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally, a thread about plushies! I was disappointed about having no place in CC to talk about my hobby and post my creations (and too lazy to start a thread).

I started making plushies last summer, learning how to sew/stitch by hand.

My first attempt was a luma from Super Mario Galaxy. A little off and misshapen at some points, but it's where it all started for me, so I hold it dear.

Then I started a series of "black and white" critters. I started with the zebra, then the penguin, and the whale. I still need to finish the set with a panda, but I've been lazy. The penguin is a little off balance, leaning to one side, and his wing on the other side is sticking out, but I actually find it cute as if he's in the middle of waddling.

And this was my last project, a graduation gift for a friend.

OP and others, what sort of materials do you guys use? Is that fleece? Mine is mainly cheap felt from Michaels, but I feel like I should upgrade to fleece, is that the softer stuff?

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

nolen posted:

Mind if I borrow this idea and adapt it a bunch? It's totally awesome.

Also, I wish I took pictures of all the felt dolls I've made, but I generally just give them to friends. All I can find is an early doll from years ago, so it looks a little rough.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Schistosity posted:

Mind if I borrow this idea and adapt it a bunch? It's totally awesome.

Yeah go for it. The original idea was to use the tentacles as straps but I decided against it for aesthetics.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Hurray for theft! I made a squid-laptop cozy.

And, like everything else I make, its blue and red - as thats pretty much the only coloured fabric I have left.

I'll post some photos when I get back from drinking.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
My first attempt at doing Wall-e's Eve :

quote:

I love to handsew, and have handsewn all my softies. I only don't machine sew becuase I find the small scale quite difficult (I'm used to sewing quilts!). You could definitely machine sew though.
I hate handsewing and that's part of what keeps me from doing plushies. Is it possible to use transparent thread to avoid slip-stitching or would that still look bad ?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

My camera is broked. So, here is something else I made in the meantime.

Shamina

Click here for the full 720x481 image.

Its based off my friends drawing, http://brainbread.deviantart.com/#/d2qjyq9

I'll try and get a new camera for my squid cozy.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Been awhile since I've made anything like this, and my works were quite amateurish, but I took to making plushes for BSS Secret Santa gifts for a few years.

Here's a MODOK (Mobile Organism Designed Only for Kuddling)

I also made a Cactus Galactus

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
So much love for the cactus galactus!

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

I made this for my husband a couple of months ago (and just finished it):

Click here for the full 845x1127 image.

And we made this platypus last night for a friend's future baby:

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Sonata posted:

Oh My God...that is SOOO freakin' awesome!!! :aaaaa: I'm in love!! Please, please, please, please post the pattern or tell me how I can make my own!?!??

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Sonata posted:

In the thumbnail the book looked like the bottom of a trophy

Sonata posted:

And we made this platypus last night for a friend's future baby:

I loves me some platypus. Was this a commercial pattern or something you found online?

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

Um, I/we just kind of made them up. :shobon:

I think I did keep the paper shapes from the Purple Tentacle somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and try to figure something out for you. I've never really made a pattern so it might make no sense.

archaeopteryx
Oct 30, 2005

I made a squid, too!

Meet Humboldt Humboldt, he's very clever and likes  little girls literature.
His eyes are a bit lopsided and the stitching is awfully wonky but I'm sure my BFF will like him nonetheless. :j:

Edit:
Forgot to add some info. :shobon:
This is only fourth attempt at making a plushie, I think. The first one was a giant paramecium (including detachable nucleus), the second a black felt pony (made for a friend of mine. I vaguely remember it having to do something with a story by some gothic band), the third one was a very ugly ammonite and then there's this. I made all of the patterns up as I went.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

archaeopteryx fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 7, 2010

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho

nolen posted:

I NEED one of these. I just had a whole load of good quality felt given to me, so I want to try making plushies soon.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Yarn! posted:

I NEED one of these. I just had a whole load of good quality felt given to me, so I want to try making plushies soon.

I'm finally getting around to starting an etsy. Round one will be all squid-related (hats, pillows, and small plushes). I'm dropping the backpack in favor of a giant pillow-squid but I'll be using a mink-ish fabric that freakishly soft.

I will be sure to post an update when it's all up and running.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

My sewing machine is still in the mail. I'm so sad that I don't have it ;_;

I need to get a new camera, or borrow one, then I can show my squid laptop case. Its adorable.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Just finished this evil twin squid a few minutes ago. This thread is quickly turning into "Show Me Your Plush Squids!".

I think I need to invest in a real camera, too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are there any good sites with patterns on them? I'm laid off, I've accumulated a decent amount of fabric over the years, and my mom bought me a pretty nice sewing machine as a wedding present and I've only used it to make curtains and beanbags for cornhole/baggo. It might be fun to try and make something, but I'd feel a little more confident working off of some patterns first.

I even have a whole room dedicated as an art studio/craft room, but I never use it.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I'm not sure what you're interested in but two good places to check out might be
http://www.instructables.com/ and http://www.craftster.org/ baring that I'd try google if you have an idea of what you'd want to make. That's how I found the Cthulhu I posted earlier. The pattern I linked for that was pretty easy, but was kind of annoying in that it lacked a good explanation for the feet. But making your own and doing as you please is my favorite part of this.

Your library might have some books that you might find helpful too. Some popular ones are "Stray Sock Sewing" "Stupid Sock Creatures"

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?
There's also some pretty fancy patterns at http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/ if you wanted something furry and uh...realistic? The guy has cats and dogs that look pretty good, and also a full-size anime doll...for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantShoe
Dec 10, 2006
Really big shoe
Got invited over by nolan. Thanks, nolan!

Finished this the other day.

The latest in a pretty long line of them. I've made variations and experimented a bit, but they're in my house a few miles away at the moment.

Here's the first one I ever made.

I took it to Grand Central Station.

And made it a hat for the cold.

I call him Juan.

I finished him on Feb 26th last year. I didn't really do anything else for a while but then I entered him into a student citation show a few months back after having him sat around the flat for months. Got a $250 scholarship for him, which made me make more.

I hand-sew them all. Tried one with a machine - it was ok and I was well happy with how quick I got it turned out (Juan took 8 hours because I was sorting out the templates and learning as I went). It normally takes me about 3 hours to make one doll by hand.

I'm excited that there's a thread here for them! Everyone's stuff here is incredible! I'm going to have to get my improving hat out. I'll also have to make a squid.

Wandering Knitter - the Knacklebee is amazing.

Comrade Quack - I'm going to have to try and make me a Socktokitty.

Brainbread - Love that scrambler.

• Locked thread