Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I've made frogs with just the straight stitch and I think they've held up ok. A small child has been given a Cthulhu I made and his mom said it was quite sturdy. I was messing around with an old Kenmore I got for a friend and it has some special stitches that were made to stretch better. So if there's stitches on your machine you don't understand try to figure them out. They might be helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Comrade Quack posted:

I've made frogs with just the straight stitch and I think they've held up ok. A small child has been given a Cthulhu I made and his mom said it was quite sturdy. I was messing around with an old Kenmore I got for a friend and it has some special stitches that were made to stretch better. So if there's stitches on your machine you don't understand try to figure them out. They might be helpful

Old Kenmore Club :3:

I was planning on using a straight stitch, although there is a pine leaf stitch on my machine that would probably work as well. I have enough fabric to make a couple of frogs so I'll try different techniques. The first frog will probably be a :frogdowns:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Mizufusion posted:

poo poo, I think that's the same machine my mom has! She's had it since it was brand new, and it's a goddamn workhorse. I learned how to sew on that machine. :3: I say if it still works, keep using it! She had a Singer serger too, but I don't have a whole lot of experience using those. They're pretty handy for stretchy fabrics, though, especially knits.

Also, I am by no means an expert on the subject; most of my experience is from sewing at home and taking a couple fashion design courses in college. If there's a community college nearby, you might look into taking one or two classes. Mine had a course on apparel construction that went over different types of machines, stitches, clipping and grading, and stuff like that.

I have a little chinese Janome too, but I can't get it to function in North America because of the... wattage in our outlets. And seeing as I am going to take a break from sewing for a bit, I am gonna take this badboy in to get fuckin' serviced. It hasn't been in 20 something years.

Also, I got it from my mom too, who had it brand new when she started sewing. Best gift ever. Its in great condition too; I oiled her up, cleaned the dust off and she runs perfectly. But I figure I need someone who know what they're doing to look at it.

As for not being an expert; I literally have 0 formal training in sewing. I learned how to use a sewing machine while in china, by teaching myself, and then I came here and started using this beast. I don't even have its manual.

As for Comrade Quack; there are a few stitches in yellow and green I don't get. One is six lines, in two rows of three, and another is three zig-zags overlapping each other (dotted), then there is another dotted zig-zag.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Brainbread posted:

I have a little chinese Janome too, but I can't get it to function in North America because of the... wattage in our outlets. And seeing as I am going to take a break from sewing for a bit, I am gonna take this badboy in to get fuckin' serviced. It hasn't been in 20 something years.

Also, I got it from my mom too, who had it brand new when she started sewing. Best gift ever. Its in great condition too; I oiled her up, cleaned the dust off and she runs perfectly. But I figure I need someone who know what they're doing to look at it.

As for not being an expert; I literally have 0 formal training in sewing. I learned how to use a sewing machine while in china, by teaching myself, and then I came here and started using this beast. I don't even have its manual.

As for Comrade Quack; there are a few stitches in yellow and green I don't get. One is six lines, in two rows of three, and another is three zig-zags overlapping each other (dotted), then there is another dotted zig-zag.

I too have very little formal education, I just figured that tidbit out by reading her manual. You should look for yours if you don't have a copy. Hers had a stitch that sounds like the three overlapping zig zags on yours. If you sew it is actually diamonds. If that's the stitch I'm thinking of it seemed to stretch a bit. I'd say give it a try on some scraps. The different colors sort of correspond to a colored mark on another dial, maybe called something similar to flexi-stitch.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Ok. So I've had a good number of people bitch that shipping is expensive.

I've gotten three quotes.

Fedex, $225
UPS, $250
Purolator, $309

People keep telling me that "I shipped something heavy for only $30-40, you're gouging" or "I bought X from a store, and they shipped for cheap! You are gonna scare people away."

And I am super confused at how people don't understand shipping costs ;_;

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Brainbread posted:

Ok. So I've had a good number of people bitch that shipping is expensive.

I've gotten three quotes.

Fedex, $225
UPS, $250
Purolator, $309

People keep telling me that "I shipped something heavy for only $30-40, you're gouging" or "I bought X from a store, and they shipped for cheap! You are gonna scare people away."

You've included weight and dimensions in your listing; tell people that if they're able to find a cheaper shipping method that is available in your area, you will gladly send it that way. Shipping does suck, and shipping from Canada is pretty brutal (fellow Canadian here). How close are you to the border? It seriously might be cheaper to drive to the US and ship from there.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

electricgoat posted:

You've included weight and dimensions in your listing; tell people that if they're able to find a cheaper shipping method that is available in your area, you will gladly send it that way. Shipping does suck, and shipping from Canada is pretty brutal (fellow Canadian here). How close are you to the border? It seriously might be cheaper to drive to the US and ship from there.

Edmonton, so not near. I'll give them the offer of using cheaper shipping if they can find it for me. Thanks for the idea!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Offer local pickup only. Agree to meet the winner in a shady bar. Wear an oversized trench coat, a fedora, and sunglasses. Sit in the corner reading a newspaper. Don't act suspicious. Tell them you've got the goods, but they'll have to pony up the cash.

I swear to god that pun wasn't intentional. :suicide:

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Brainbread posted:

Or the phrase "don't like it, don't bid on it." Shipping costs is one of the big reasons I stopped selling on, and using eBay.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Opera Bitch posted:

Or the phrase "don't like it, don't bid on it." Shipping costs is one of the big reasons I stopped selling on, and using eBay.

Wait. How is it Ebays fault for shipping costs? They usually get me a decent discount when I ship through them through Paypal.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Brainbread posted:

Wait. How is it Ebays fault for shipping costs? They usually get me a decent discount when I ship through them through Paypal.
I never said it was eBay the company's fault for the shipping costs. I just found I was able to get a lot of items I used to get on eBay on Amazon as well, and with free 2 day shipping it made more sense to buy there. Not to mention people who seemed to have reasonable shipping prices only to send an item with a shipping tag cost way under what they charged. I never sold much there except for the few collectibles I lost interest in owning so increases weren't a big deal there.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Opera Bitch posted:

I never said it was eBay the company's fault for the shipping costs. I just found I was able to get a lot of items I used to get on eBay on Amazon as well, and with free 2 day shipping it made more sense to buy there. Not to mention people who seemed to have reasonable shipping prices only to send an item with a shipping tag cost way under what they charged. I never sold much there except for the few collectibles I lost interest in owning so increases weren't a big deal there.

Yeah, I`ve overcharged once on an item, and I tend to undercharge if the item goes over the expected price enough.

My biggest concern is being scammed by people.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
$3,602.00

:gonk:

With 2 days left, no less... somehow, I think you're making a pretty good hourly wage on that monster. MLP fans are kind of scary.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Terrified of getting scammed, though the no feedback buyer has already contacted me.

So still scared.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Its really weird googling the titles of things I make.

And finding people arguing over it. For pages and pages.

I am glad that there is no such thing as notoriety, but I do get random waves of people showing up at my DeviantArt page, and I have no idea where they are coming from.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

PK posted:

Old Kenmore Club :3:

I was planning on using a straight stitch, although there is a pine leaf stitch on my machine that would probably work as well. I have enough fabric to make a couple of frogs so I'll try different techniques. The first frog will probably be a :frogdowns:

The original frog was all straight stitched, though the fabric was pretty thick since it was meant for upholstery.

You should be fine with a straight stitch as long as you use a good thread that isn't prone to breaking. Any polyester blend thread should do.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I showed some friends the giant Rainbow Dash auction and they demanded I ask you how many requests or questions you'd had regarding fleshlights.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Oh geez fleshlights. :gonk:

The bidding history is so intense!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

I showed some friends the giant Rainbow Dash auction and they demanded I ask you how many requests or questions you'd had regarding fleshlights.

Only one person asked me.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Brainbread posted:

Only one person asked me.

Actually someone wanted me to ask you if it was anatomically correct instead. :v: Think they're comedians do they?

$4100+ now. Sweet jaysus.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Actually someone wanted me to ask you if it was anatomically correct instead. :v: Think they're comedians do they?

$4100+ now. Sweet jaysus.

Its not. For one, it doesn't even have hooves. Its legs just... they just end!

It is correct in terms of the actual show though. More or less. Head might be a little bit bigger in mine.

And it doesn't have bones, so that part of its anatomy is out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Brainbread posted:

It'll have to sell for an exorbitant amount for me to want to make another. It was way too frustrating and well, pointlessly painful to make.It'd be easier if I didn't think she needed to stand on her own.

So far, does this qualify as an exorbitant amount of money? I will be watching this while I'm at work tonight since it ends while I'm still here. I've never been so interested in MLP!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So far, does this qualify as an exorbitant amount of money? I will be watching this while I'm at work tonight since it ends while I'm still here. I've never been so interested in MLP!

I am thinking so.

But I'd still rather make a different character. For the sake of actually having fun doing what I am doing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If it's money we're talking here the next most popular one to me seems to be that purple one with the pink hair whatever. You're close to breaking 5k (you had, but I assume there was a retracted bid somewhere).

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

If it's money we're talking here the next most popular one to me seems to be that purple one with the pink hair whatever. You're close to breaking 5k (you had, but I assume there was a retracted bid somewhere).

Its the pink and yellow one that usually nets me the most, Fluttershy.

I canceled and blocked a bidder for not contacting me before bidding at 0 feedback. Its in the description to do so.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Well, it's over at a whopping $4,900 - now tell us if they pay. :toot: Congratulations to you if they actually follow through!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Just working out shipping information. Customs is a bitch if the item has Ebay's declared value on it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

No doubt, but they're going to think it's really funny if a 5' box is valued at $20, too, I imagine! Tricky bit, this whole shipping between countries thing.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

No doubt, but they're going to think it's really funny if a 5' box is valued at $20, too, I imagine! Tricky bit, this whole shipping between countries thing.

I'm extremely wary about the winning bidder. Paying $5000 for an item on Ebay is a bit of a flag, but then they offered to pay through something other than PayPal.

So I am half on the fence if they're trying to scam me. I contacted the "loser" and told them there might be a second chance offer.

The PayPal part might be legit, because the account has been inactive for 5 years.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 5, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Let us know if they try to use an escrow site. We can send them a P-p-p-ponyplush.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Mizufusion posted:

Let us know if they try to use an escrow site. We can send them a P-p-p-ponyplush.

Nope. An Echeque through PayPal. I want to find out what bank its from and call them to confirm it; so that once it goes through he can't cancel it through his bank.

Or just tell him that he should transfer his money to the account, then just pay me. Why so sketch.

Edit: I called PayPal about Echeques. They told me that once its cleared, I don't have to worry as long as I follow the normal shipping procedures. So yay. No longer concerned.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 5, 2011

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Been slowly watching that auction climb into the stratosphere. I just cannot believe it.

If I'm being honest, I think that the head looks a little off, but Jesus Christ if you're getting paid even a TENTH of what that auction is going at then it doesn't really matter.

And regardless, you do drat good work! I gave sewing one shot in Home Ec back in eighth grade and could never manage anything more elaborate than a solid shape.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
These ponies. :psyduck: If I had the skills to make those I could live like a king.

In other news, this is what I made for my boyfriend for his birthday.

I drove to his house with the plush buckled into the passenger's seat. The boyfriend was half asleep when he came out to help me with my stuff, and I imagine seeing this staring at him through the car window was very surreal.

He loved it. :3:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ha, I like how any mention of the cartoon brings the ponytars out. (And commenting on accuracy to the show, no less)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

These ponies. :psyduck: If I had the skills to make those I could live like a king.

In other news, this is what I made for my boyfriend for his birthday.

I drove to his house with the plush buckled into the passenger's seat. The boyfriend was half asleep when he came out to help me with my stuff, and I imagine seeing this staring at him through the car window was very surreal.

He loved it. :3:

My god that is adorable. Good work!

Is it from anything? Or original?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Holy crap I am impressed with the ponies and how much they have been selling for :aaa:. Extremely well done. I hope you slapped as much confirmation on that package as you can. Let us know how it pans out when the person gets their item.

And thank you nolen for pointing me in this direction. I do not have anything very impressive to show, just a dragon and an elephant I made off of patterns from etsy.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Holy crap I am impressed with the ponies and how much they have been selling for :aaa:. Extremely well done. I hope you slapped as much confirmation on that package as you can. Let us know how it pans out when the person gets their item.

And thank you nolen for pointing me in this direction. I do not have anything very impressive to show, just a dragon and an elephant I made off of patterns from etsy.

How is that not impressive? I can't even read a pattern!

Also, good job on the dragon, but it looks like you threaded a line a bit too far second from the bottom.

Otherwise, very cute :3

As for Pony, I am waiting for money to clear on Ebay before I ship. Once thats done, its got required signature and tracking number. Bitch ain't going nowhere without me knowin.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

Brainbread posted:

How is that not impressive? I can't even read a pattern!

Also, good job on the dragon, but it looks like you threaded a line a bit too far second from the bottom.

Thanks! And yeah, it got a bit snug and the lines aren't quite even, but getting a darning needle all the way through a stuffed plush critter is freakin hard. I'm not used to sweating when I sew.

And good on the confirmation. I'd be pretty skittish with so much money flowing. It is awesome to think the item sold for that much, but also terrifying. Hell, it's not even my item and I'm nervous/scared for you.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

flutterbyblue posted:

Thanks! And yeah, it got a bit snug and the lines aren't quite even, but getting a darning needle all the way through a stuffed plush critter is freakin hard. I'm not used to sweating when I sew.

I do my mouths the same way; it was a nightmare doing it on the giant plushie. Worst is trying to line it up so its actually straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Brainbread posted:

My god that is adorable. Good work!

Is it from anything? Or original?

It's from a show called Azumanga Daioh - it's a character that mostly appears in dreams and in plush form. I introduced the show to the boyfriend and he took to it really quickly. A scene from the show where this character is odd and confuses people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBZBAbbKt8

When I try to explain to people that the thing I made is a cat, I also have to explain it doesn't really make sense in context either. Either way I recommend the show, it's cute without being cloying and pretty funny.

Ninja Edit: Also, thank you for the compliment! :3:

• Locked thread