Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tried out some new stuff with doll hair, turned out real good!

Two different plushies, I'll keep it short.

First one

Second one

The second one is currently up for auction, and the change of hair was very well received, so I hope that goes well. The new pattern is real nice, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

More stuff done.

Giant, 40" tall plushie, and another pair of plushies. Tomorrow I can pretend I will work when in reality I will just play Skyrim all day.

I hope the auctions do well. Cost me an arm and a quarter of a leg for the embroidery setup. If it sells as is, I'll be in the hole.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
^^^I don't think you'll have to worry, if there is anything you can count on in the world it's that nerds will pay ridiculous amounts of money for anything related to stuff they like.

Gonna try to finish my dachshund plush this week. First time working with a pattern, hand-sewn, no experience worth mentioning, so many do-overs and fuckups :gonk:

How do I sew up the last part after stuffing it without having the stitches showing?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

^^^I don't think you'll have to worry, if there is anything you can count on in the world it's that nerds will pay ridiculous amounts of money for anything related to stuff they like.

Gonna try to finish my dachshund plush this week. First time working with a pattern, hand-sewn, no experience worth mentioning, so many do-overs and fuckups :gonk:

How do I sew up the last part after stuffing it without having the stitches showing?

I solved that by leaving the head and body separate, and stuffing both parts through the "neck," so that the only visible stitching is on the neck.

But that depends on those pieces already being separate. If you don't have that option, I'd make a hole where the tail'd go, and stuff it through there - it'll be covered up anyways.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
To close up the hole used for stuffing, you hand stitch it using the ladder stitch. I can't explain well, but there are tons of tutorials out there for it. It took me a few tries to get right and even if you do it perfectly, it'll still be slightly visible, but only if you're really looking. It's worth learning, though, because there aren't many things that ruin a perfectly good plushie like really poor hand stitching on that last seam.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Perfectly good might be a bit of an overstatement but yay, I finished! I will never hand stitch anything this big ever again. Ever. I hosed up the nose, the stitches show everywhere, I forgot to sew up the darts and then hosed those up and I made about a million other mistakes BUT it still looks pretty cute. :unsmith:

I haven't decided yet whether it will have button eyes or doll eyes.

I actually finished a frustrating and repetitive task! :woop:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
That is sooo cute :swoon:. I actually kind of like the little beady black eyes. I figure those are just your pins for placement, but super tiny eyes could be adorable.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

PiratePing posted:

Perfectly good might be a bit of an overstatement but yay, I finished! I will never hand stitch anything this big ever again. Ever. I hosed up the nose, the stitches show everywhere, I forgot to sew up the darts and then hosed those up and I made about a million other mistakes BUT it still looks pretty cute. :unsmith:

I actually finished a frustrating and repetitive task! :woop:

This is so good! Did you make this from scratch or is there a commercially available pattern?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Thanks guys!

I found the pattern for free online here. She also has a lot of other patterns, mostly creepy anime dolls and regular animals. I think my next project will be the stuffed pig. :)

Edit: More patterns can be found on her blog: http://nuno-runo.blogspot.com/

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 16, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Good work! Its cute!

I think buttons would look good, personally. You can get some really cute decorative ones for cheap too, so can try a whole pile to see whats good. And good job! I stopped hand stitching as soon as I learned how to sewing machine, myself. Too much frustration, and my stitches where horrible.

Made some more plushies in the meantime.

- the seams of the fabric are painfully noticeable to me, but the material has no pile so I can't get away from it. My fault I guess.

On a different note, I generally get little response other than rage when I post any work I finish anymore. I guess the novelty factor is wearing off. At least I managed to learn how to properly sew in the meantime.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone here is willing to a small commission for me.

It basically consists of a plushie of cat head coming out of a burrito (a purrito, if you will). Here's a better idea of what I want: http://i.imgur.com/j9bii.jpg

PM me if you think you could do this, or email me: royalitate [at] gmail [dot] com so we can discuss pricing :)

Thanks!

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011
Brainbread - I really like the synthetic hair on Rarity, just offers something really different from the other My Little Pony plushes I've seen. Really stands out from the rest and reminds me of the actual toys.

Here's a recent project I completed - I thought it'd be fun to make fruitcake plushes to offer to those who loathe fruitcake.

No one loves us... by deadly_sweet, on Flickr

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

deadlysweet posted:

Brainbread - I really like the synthetic hair on Rarity, just offers something really different from the other My Little Pony plushes I've seen. Really stands out from the rest and reminds me of the actual toys.

Here's a recent project I completed - I thought it'd be fun to make fruitcake plushes to offer to those who loathe fruitcake.

Are the flakes of fruit attached with glue or something else?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

deadlysweet posted:

Oh my goodness, these are so adorable!:swoon:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

deadlysweet posted:

Do they have the consistency of real Fruitcake?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

deadlysweet posted:

Oh good lord these are too cute for words. :3:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

deadlysweet posted:

[/url]

DeadlySweet. I am hoping to match your pure saccharine with this

I saw someone make a beanie-baby like plush, so I whipped this together to hopefully oust them. She's about the size of a hand, and loosely filled with beads, so she's actually like a real beanie baby.

But not, because thats illegal, so she's a "beanie plush".

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011
brainbread - I actually really like that design, you could sell these things like hotcakes on Etsy or eBay. People are really digging the new MLP series.

If I could make anything dimensional that isn't a square, I would even try to make one myself.

As a side note, those fruitcakes replicate the consistency of real fruitcake fairly realistically, very dense and hard ha ha.

@yourdeadgayson - they are indeed glued on, they're so tiny that I would have troubles stitching it on.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

deadlysweet posted:

If I could make anything dimensional that isn't a square, I would even try to make one myself.

@yourdeadgayson - they are indeed glued on, they're so tiny that I would have troubles stitching it on.

How did you attach them? Glue-gun or with iron-on adhesive? I ask because it looks like they're felt, and felt and me have had a rocky relationship.

I now feel bad for the person who posted asking a commission, because they seem to have gotten ignored. I also don't know how to make cats (and feel terrible when I do commissions), so I have my excuses.

As for making non-square 3D shapes, I am pretty sure I am doing it wrong. I see people make things with seams you sew that go into the piece, tabs, all this crazy stuff. I just use cardboard and sharpie. I draw the shape that it is supposed to be, and stitch it together and stuff it so it looks right. I am pretty sure that is a bad idea, or something?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Brainbread posted:

I now feel bad for the person who posted asking a commission, because they seem to have gotten ignored. I also don't know how to make cats (and feel terrible when I do commissions), so I have my excuses.

I contacted Fluue via PM and there's now a cat head on my sewing table.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

As for making non-square 3D shapes, I am pretty sure I am doing it wrong. I see people make things with seams you sew that go into the piece, tabs, all this crazy stuff. I just use cardboard and sharpie. I draw the shape that it is supposed to be, and stitch it together and stuff it so it looks right. I am pretty sure that is a bad idea, or something?

Whatever works best for you and gives you the nicest-looking plush!

I spend a lot of time analyzing other plush dolls when I'm out and about, just seeing how they created the shape. Everything I do is self-taught, so I always look for better ways to create my ideas.

As far as method, I model out my plushies in 3D then draw seams with software. It unwraps the model and gives me a nice 2D pattern as a starting point. Timesaver indeed.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

I contacted Fluue via PM and there's now a cat head on my sewing table.

I am now excited to see this. :3

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011
@ brainbread - I actually use a hot glue gun and tweezers so I don't keep burning the tips of my fingers.

@ nolen - do you mean you actually use something like Maya in order to make the pattern of your plush? I know nothing about 3D software, just a little flash and photoshop.

I'm hoping to get a break from sewing soon actually, so many commissions/orders since September.

I need to start thinking about Valentine's Day.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Gosh I have a weak spot for plush and these are all so cute. Especially the mlp ones since I'm a huge mlp fan. I wish I was talented enough to make stuff with my hands. Any tips on how to learn?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I like the beanie MLP. If you start listing them let me know, I have some people to herd your way.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

deadlysweet posted:

@ nolen - do you mean you actually use something like Maya in order to make the pattern of your plush? I know nothing about 3D software, just a little flash and photoshop.

I use a program called Sculptris (free: http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris) for all my modeling, but you can use any 3D modeling program that works best for you. Traditional modeling just doesn't click for me, but sculpting seems to work out perfectly.

For unwrapping, I use a program called PatternImage. It's way expensive (triple zeros), but a huge timesaver. You can try using papercraft software to unwrap and edit the pattern for fabric, but I've never tried that.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm no Brainbread (Your work looks fantastic), but I've also started sewing ponies.

This is actually the first time I've made a pattern, so I've still got some kinks to work out. The other pony is for current size comparison.

I know the eyes are going to be Sculpey, but I haven't decided how to do the flank marks yet.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Drum posted:

I'm no Brainbread (Your work looks fantastic), but I've also started sewing ponies.

This is actually the first time I've made a pattern, so I've still got some kinks to work out. The other pony is for current size comparison.

I know the eyes are going to be Sculpey, but I haven't decided how to do the flank marks yet.

Thanks Drum! If you know embroidery, thats probably the most liked way of going for the marks. If you are handy with scissors, making them out of felt and stitching/gluing that on also can look pretty good.

If you can find pre-made felt stickers or trinkets, those can look good to - like on this Fluttershy I made

They're premade felt butterflies, and they come on larger felt butterflies. I just peel the part I like (the pink and blue) off and glue-gun it on. Other methods I've seen are some kinds of fabric painting, or printable-fabric (I use that when I have to, too).

The iron-ons look like this

They don't stick too well to Felt though, so watch your types of material.

flutterbyblue posted:

I like the beanie MLP. If you start listing them let me know, I have some people to herd your way.

I just listed her here http://www.ebay.com/itm/170742727033?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 (I don't really want to post auction links here, but I can't really PM so oh well)

Edit: Replaced photo 2 with one more relevent

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 6, 2011

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011

Drum posted:

I really like the shape of it though! What pony is that? I've seen it online.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Brainbread posted:

(I don't really want to post auction links here, but I can't really PM so oh well)

Good deal. Now to try to catch my bronie friends and point them in that direction. It is super cute.

edit: even if you could send pm's I can't get them, so there's that too :downs:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pinked haired Filly Celestia Plush

That is rather long-winded for a name.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I hope y'all can guess what this is.

Edit: Edit: Changed the angle, put a hand in for reference

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 11, 2011

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I just started trying to make stuffed things for like the second time ever.

The Magikarp isn't stuffed, but filled with catnip instead. He was popular.

I do have a question for you guys. Is there a secret to sewing things inside out so that the seam doesn't show as much when you turn them back right-side out? Every time I sew something and then flip it, it ends up all lumpy and not the shape I intended (as with the magikarp being square-ish). I guess it's because my stitches aren't perfectly even? Any advice?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Are you machine or hand stitching? I still have that issue when I hand stitch, but it usually looks the intended shape when I do it on the machine.

Maybe that just me.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 10, 2011

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hand-stitching. I guess I just need more practice.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Radio! posted:

Hand-stitching. I guess I just need more practice.

For me it helps draw a line on the inside of the fabric with a marker (I use the specials ones for toddlers that are made to wash out of clothing easily :haw:) and just follow that. Getting your lines just right is much easier when drawing them, I tend to lose track of the bigger picture when doing it stitch by stitch without a guide. Especially in small hand-sewn things tiny variations show up like crazy :)

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Brainbread posted:

I am now excited to see this. :3

Ok I stupidly made this way harder then it needed to be, but here are the Purrito images

Purrito Gallery

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I've never sewn before, but I decided to try to make this for a christmas present this year. I think it came out pretty good?

The first one I made is the one on the right, the left one was my second attempt and the one I ended up using as the goon-gift. It's a scalemate from the homestuck webcomic.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Alrighty. I am gonna rework the first post to make it more inline with the other threads.

So if you want to get a link to your various art site, store, etc, send an email to (thedoombrigade at gmail dot com).

Make sure you include your username with the email, and a little blurb, and an example of your work (preferably a link to Tinypic so it doesn't go away after a week) and I'll include you.

It'll hopefully make the thread a bit more organized, and let newcomers actually find out all the work you've done in the past.

Wish I reserved a second post, but oh well.

So you look at the post, have some saccharine. =P

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Hey brainbread any chance you know of a good tutorial for designing a pattern from a 2d object properly? I haven't got a good grip on how to do this myself.

• Locked thread