Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can say with absolute certainty that we went in there intending to kill everything.

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009

No problem, Newt King.
Glad to share.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Kazinsal posted:

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

I'm afraid your friend's just wrong: that's how every pop music book (and, for that matter, every fake book) I've ever seen has been written. That's not to say that every book is written this way, of course. But lots of them are.

(It makes even more sense if the music is written for guitarists, as this is, 'cause guitars are transposing instruments anyway. But that, I think, is more of a coincidence than an explanation.)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Boz0r posted:

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.

Congrats on that!

I've been taking singing lessons this semester, and I feel that I have improved vastly. It's a great feeling.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Hoshi posted:

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

Thanks, it's starting to make a bit more sense.

I like eighties hair metal and hard rock and I want to sing that poo poo. My problem is that I'm a baritone, and when I had some singing lessons a couple of years ago my range was around E2-F4 in chest/normal register, and up to around G#5 in head/falsetto. Lately I've begun playing/singing again, and I found that a lot of the higher part of my chest register sounds very strained, and I've probably forgotten the correct technique.

My question is two-fold:
Is there a good video describing the basics of good technique like proper stance, opening of the throat and stuff like that?
Also, exercises to make an overdrive-y transition from chest voice to head voice, so I can follow my favorite songs? Also, if there's anything I can do to try to expand my range a bit.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Here's a take on On My Way to You by Michel Legrand and the Bergmans. I'd love to know what other people think could be better!

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Dear Singgoons,

I've started getting a little more serious about singing in the last couple months, and lately I've started getting very decent (in my own estimation anyway). Unfortunately, after being able to get through some Sam Cooke numbers with reasonable success, I was afflicted by a monstrous hubris. After much singing I think I've really hurt my voice. I stopped singing two days ago, but still went ahead and talked regular style throughout the weekend. I decided to try singing today as my throat was feeling okay but could only get through 1 song before I had to call it quits.

So now I am going to take very seriously the advice offered on various sites and basically just avoid talking for as long as possible and drink hot water and honey. Do ya'll have any other tips on recovering? Do you think I should see an ENT? Having never really sung before I don't know what steps to take really.

VVVVVVV I've been singing for like 1-2 hours a day every day for a month or so, so maybe not hurting it by belting too loud once, but belting too loud too often. I will for sure post something when I can.

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2015 around 02:19

Hawkgirl
Jun 20, 2003

Jesus Died for Your Songs

See an ENT if you want, but if you can still talk normally it seems like overkill. In my area it's like a 3 month wait to see an ENT. Stop singing when it hurts and your voice will recover. Also, maybe post a sample of your singing because it sounds like you might be belting in a really unhealthy way. (After you rest for a few days.)

Further advice: don't drink alcohol while your voice is recovering. Stop speaking two hours before bed and don't vocalize as long as you can after you get up. That increases your continual rest time which is very helpful. Think about recovering from an ankle injury by resting for 20 minutes then putting your weight on it for 20 seconds, then resting again. That's kind of what talking is doing to your recovery.

I sincerely doubt you destroyed your voice from misusing it one time.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

sets off a "weirdly specific fetish artwork" vibe

Dont cough at all either if you can help it. If you need to phlem something drink water.

massive spider fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2015 around 14:45

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Am I okay to just post some songs I sing on? I only just noticed this thread and I hope cross posting from the sketches thread is okay. Basically, I don't imagine myself ever being a singer people listen to and go, "yeah, he sounds awesome!" but I'd like to be serviceable as I might be doing vocal duties for the band I'm in, at least until we find a real singer. I only have three songs recorded I've sung on so it might not be much to go on. I've looked around and while I'd love to find a vocal coach/teacher but most seem really out of the way (I live a few hours away from where most are based) or are way more than I can afford. So I'd love some internet help if possible.

This was done today and I admittedly have a slightly sore throat but I think it's still a good indicator of my range (Or lack of).
Same song but with only acoustic. I kind of prefer the way my voice sits with acoustics.
Last song, and the first one I ever really recorded vocals for. It's got some weird inflections and choices but I actually kind of dig the way it turned out.

So there you have it. I'm open to any and all help and criticism. I am not a delicate flower that needs to be told it's fine. Maybe I'm too breathy, or focus too much on highs, or just outright suck. That's fine, I need to know so I have something to work for.

Thanks guys.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007
I touch myself at night

Not sure if you guys will be able to help me, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

So I started working at a haunted house. My role requires me to be loud and yell, scream, growl. So I jump in the scene, yell at the people, yell some more.. and then either let off a deep growl or a high pitched scream/laugh/etc. This is all good for about two hours and then the tension headache sets in. Seeing as two hours is about the half-way point of my night.. the remaining time is tough. I can't stop yelling and go and rest. I have been loading up on anti-headache meds, drinking plenty of water, and I am in shape (although I could probably strengthen my neck muscles more).

I might be yelling wrong.. I am kinda just throwing my voice out there and not really pushing it out from my diaphragm. I can do that with a growl but I'm not sure how to do that with clearly audible yelling (mixed with a fake southern accent to boot). Not to mention this is a Fri/Sat/Sun night gig so my voice is decimated by the end.

What kind of vocal warm-ups should I be doing? How should I deal with (ideally, prevent) these headaches? I have this throat numbing spray which helps a ton, but I can't be using that every 10 minutes.

Hawkgirl
Jun 20, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Am I okay to just post some songs I sing on? I only just noticed this thread and I hope cross posting from the sketches thread is okay. Basically, I don't imagine myself ever being a singer people listen to and go, "yeah, he sounds awesome!" but I'd like to be serviceable as I might be doing vocal duties for the band I'm in, at least until we find a real singer. I only have three songs recorded I've sung on so it might not be much to go on. I've looked around and while I'd love to find a vocal coach/teacher but most seem really out of the way (I live a few hours away from where most are based) or are way more than I can afford. So I'd love some internet help if possible.

This was done today and I admittedly have a slightly sore throat but I think it's still a good indicator of my range (Or lack of).
Same song but with only acoustic. I kind of prefer the way my voice sits with acoustics.
Last song, and the first one I ever really recorded vocals for. It's got some weird inflections and choices but I actually kind of dig the way it turned out.

So there you have it. I'm open to any and all help and criticism. I am not a delicate flower that needs to be told it's fine. Maybe I'm too breathy, or focus too much on highs, or just outright suck. That's fine, I need to know so I have something to work for.

Thanks guys.

Look into breathing exercises. You don't have any air support when you sing and it gives you a choppy unsupported tone. Makes you sound out of tune (although that's vowel shape as well).

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009

Has anyone tried out the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy? I like his Youtube videos and what he says seems to make sense to me. I am basically a beginner but because I have been playing guitar for 20 years I am sure I have some bad singing habits.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

Look into breathing exercises. You don't have any air support when you sing and it gives you a choppy unsupported tone. Makes you sound out of tune (although that's vowel shape as well).

I looked up stuff about this after my latest recording. I didn't even know I was breathing wrong. How the gently caress does that work? That being said, thanks, it gives me a direction. Hopefully this time next year I won't sound like I'm having an asthma attack.

Hawkgirl
Jun 20, 2003

Haha. Sometimes it's the simplest things that have the most influence over how we sound. I was rehearsing poo poo with students today and they were sucking out loud until I finally realized that they were taking a terrible, uncoordinated breath before starting. The second we started focusing on unifying our breaths, the actual music started coming together. Kind of neat.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

I'm an absolute beginner singer who sometimes has trouble keeping a tune while singing along with the radio. I've been wanting to do some more strumming/singing stuff with my guitar lately, but I've found I'm pretty awful at singing even when I'm not also playing the guitar.

My question is, I don't really have the time or money to devote to consistent singing lessons, but could someone like me benefit enough from taking just one or two lessons, to learn the very basics, to make that worth pursuing?

Hawkgirl
Jun 20, 2003

Maybe? Tough question to answer over the Internet. It's less about your current ability level and more about your ability to learn.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'm an absolute beginner singer who sometimes has trouble keeping a tune while singing along with the radio. I've been wanting to do some more strumming/singing stuff with my guitar lately, but I've found I'm pretty awful at singing even when I'm not also playing the guitar.

My question is, I don't really have the time or money to devote to consistent singing lessons, but could someone like me benefit enough from taking just one or two lessons, to learn the very basics, to make that worth pursuing?

If you can't keep in tune with a song you know enough to sing along with, you probably need to work on listening more than singing. Try some ear training exercises? I wouldn't waste money on lessons yet, since it seems like you're not even to the point of worrying about tone.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

That makes sense, I've been working on that anyway, so I'll keep going.

Sometimes, though, I know the tune, but the note that comes out of my mouth is not the one that I was trying to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Dr. Platypus posted:

That makes sense, I've been working on that anyway, so I'll keep going.

Sometimes, though, I know the tune, but the note that comes out of my mouth is not the one that I was trying to make.

That's likely just a matter of practice. Maybe check out the book Vaccai practical method book & cd and sing along to practice intervals. Opera voice not necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Met...o/dp/0793553180 (get baritone book if that's you, check your library if you want to just try it out)

«24 »