Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«24 »
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can say with absolute certainty that we went in there intending to kill everything.

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009

No problem, Newt King.
Glad to share.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Kazinsal posted:

It is definitely an A5. Fired up an A5 (880Hz) square wave, turned on Number of the Beast, skipped to the beginning of the scream, and it's bang on.

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

I'm afraid your friend's just wrong: that's how every pop music book (and, for that matter, every fake book) I've ever seen has been written. That's not to say that every book is written this way, of course. But lots of them are.

(It makes even more sense if the music is written for guitarists, as this is, 'cause guitars are transposing instruments anyway. But that, I think, is more of a coincidence than an explanation.)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Boz0r posted:

But why is it written so high on the sheet music? From searching around on the internet, people talk about tenors being written as an octave higher to fit on the treble clef, but one of my friends insists that it only happens in classical music, and there's no 8vb written. Why is music so confusing?

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.

Congrats on that!

I've been taking singing lessons this semester, and I feel that I have improved vastly. It's a great feeling.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Hoshi posted:

The octave down is implied most when it's a guy singing, especially in modern music. The C on that staff is C4, the one on sheetmusicplus is a C5, and perhaps they've transposed the song up a third, or they're just a lovely sheet music vendor. Pick one or both.

I know this thread is mostly for contemporary singing, but I thought it would be an appropriate place to pat myself on the back for earning a full scholarship in a young artist program in Salzburg this summer singing two tenor roles for a few weeks.

Thanks, it's starting to make a bit more sense.

I like eighties hair metal and hard rock and I want to sing that poo poo. My problem is that I'm a baritone, and when I had some singing lessons a couple of years ago my range was around E2-F4 in chest/normal register, and up to around G#5 in head/falsetto. Lately I've begun playing/singing again, and I found that a lot of the higher part of my chest register sounds very strained, and I've probably forgotten the correct technique.

My question is two-fold:
Is there a good video describing the basics of good technique like proper stance, opening of the throat and stuff like that?
Also, exercises to make an overdrive-y transition from chest voice to head voice, so I can follow my favorite songs? Also, if there's anything I can do to try to expand my range a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Here's a take on On My Way to You by Michel Legrand and the Bergmans. I'd love to know what other people think could be better!

«24 »