Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AriTheDog posted:

What are you going for here? It's hard to critique without knowing.

edit: same question for Arashikage.

It's actually an acoustic cover of a ska/punk song by my old band. I was trying to translate at least some of the energy into a softer format.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I recorded this for the current Rockstar thread, but since it's the most recent/only real recording of me singing, I figured I'd put it up. I like my speaking voice (it's the only thing I get unsolicited compliments on), but I feel that it doesn't translate well to singing. I need to take lessons, I know, but this is the next best thing until I have the time/money/opportunity to get proper training.

Otis Redding, I ain't.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Manky posted:

I recorded this for the current Rockstar thread, but since it's the most recent/only real recording of me singing, I figured I'd put it up. I like my speaking voice (it's the only thing I get unsolicited compliments on), but I feel that it doesn't translate well to singing. I need to take lessons, I know, but this is the next best thing until I have the time/money/opportunity to get proper training.

Otis Redding, I ain't.

You're off pitch a lot and don't really sing out. You need to take way deeper breaths and sing more loudly and fully. That said, if you do that, you have the potential to sound really good. You definitely have a nice deep voice.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

AriTheDog posted:

You're off pitch a lot and don't really sing out. You need to take way deeper breaths and sing more loudly and fully. That said, if you do that, you have the potential to sound really good. You definitely have a nice deep voice.

Thanks for the input! Listening to it again, I can't believe how hesitant and weak my vocals are. I've known for a while that singing out is a big problem for me. Partly it's an inhibition thing, and a big part of it is my lack of confidence. I have a lot to work on.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

AriTheDog posted:

i don't actually think he has a nice deep voice and singing way under his range is in fact causing a lot of the weakness. his voice gets much stronger when he goes up into the baritone range he'll probably fall under with training

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

i don't actually think he has a nice deep voice and singing way under his range is in fact causing a lot of the weakness. his voice gets much stronger when he goes up into the baritone range he'll probably fall under with training

That would be kind of interesting if I turned out to be a baritone. Bass is actually my normal register for speaking, but I always used to try to sing high to sound more "normal." I don't have a lot of practice singing bass - it feels more natural, but at the same time I feel like I sound ridiculous when I'm singing popular music two octaves lower.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

I'm listening to it again, and I think you might be right, but it's really hard to tell given how weak the voice is. I'm thinking it's not the problem because his voice doesn't tend to drop out when he goes for the low notes, and for most baritones it would.

That said, the quality of his voice changes completely when he goes higher and does sound more natural. Manky, can you record yourself singing it an octave higher?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

AriTheDog posted:

I'm listening to it again, and I think you might be right, but it's really hard to tell given how weak the voice is. I'm thinking it's not the problem because his voice doesn't tend to drop out when he goes for the low notes, and for most baritones it would.

That said, the quality of his voice changes completely when he goes higher and does sound more natural. Manky, can you record yourself singing it an octave higher?

Sure! This is more or less what happens when I try to sing higher. Hope you don't mind it not being on tindeck. I feel like my voice gets nasally and washed out, although that could be just a side effect of me just totally failing at singing out.
http://cl.ly/adf31ec7a88891f72847

For comparison, my best impression of a heavily concussed Johnny Cash.

And just in case it's useful, here's me reading some random poo poo from wikipedia in my "speaking to the public" voice.
http://cl.ly/7abc72c3fc9d0b92cf3e

Circlewave
Jan 29, 2007
i know almost nothing about voice - i mostly just started singing with the radio/ipod in the car. i've been told i have a decent voice, and i'll be sharing vocals in my band with the other people. the thing i've noticed, though, is that i have serious good and bad days - sometimes, i can absolutely kill a song, and other days, it sounds like an elementary chorus concert. tips? tricks? also, is smoking going to seriously damage my voice, or will i get magic Tom Waits 'throat-full-of-broken-glass' powers?

for reference/critique, here's a quick cover of "Here Comes a Regular" by the Replacements (today's mostly a 'meh' day)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Try doing warmups, that should help even out your good and bad days. Do you notice any correlation between when you smoke and when you try to sing in a day? That's probably part of it too.

Yes, of course smoking is going to be bad for your voice. Professional vocal teachers tell their students to not drink cold water when they're singing, because the change in temperature in your throat when you drink it makes it more likely to cause damage when you sing. So imagine what inhaling lots of burning smoke does. Yes, that vocal sound is valued in a lot of genres. Still, you've probably got an equal chance of waking up with a Tom Waits superstar grizzled voice and waking up with a really weak voice from scarring on your folds.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Manky posted:

Sure! This is more or less what happens when I try to sing higher. Hope you don't mind it not being on tindeck. I feel like my voice gets nasally and washed out, although that could be just a side effect of me just totally failing at singing out.
http://cl.ly/adf31ec7a88891f72847

For comparison, my best impression of a heavily concussed Johnny Cash.

And just in case it's useful, here's me reading some random poo poo from wikipedia in my "speaking to the public" voice.
http://cl.ly/7abc72c3fc9d0b92cf3e

Hard to say. You should probably practice with a piano or something to work on staying in the right key. It definitely does sound like your real singing voice is heading more towards baritone though.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Circlewave posted:

i know almost nothing about voice - i mostly just started singing with the radio/ipod in the car. i've been told i have a decent voice, and i'll be sharing vocals in my band with the other people. the thing i've noticed, though, is that i have serious good and bad days - sometimes, i can absolutely kill a song, and other days, it sounds like an elementary chorus concert. tips? tricks? also, is smoking going to seriously damage my voice, or will i get magic Tom Waits 'throat-full-of-broken-glass' powers?

for reference/critique, here's a quick cover of "Here Comes a Regular" by the Replacements (today's mostly a 'meh' day)

If you work on the clarity of your vowels, stop imitating other singers (vocal flips, the drawl, and the opera power stuff), and improve your breath support, you're going to sound really good.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Ari. Until I'm able to actually get some lessons, I'll keep this stuff in mind as I sing.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I had my first singing lesson today. It was totally loving awesome.

I literally gained almost an octave of range in 60 min.

My voice used to kinda crap out around A3 but now I can do G4 without strain, it was surreal. Apparently I'm a bass who, with training, should be able to do "some, if not most" tenor parts.
She also thought we could probably get my "comfort" low of E2 down to D2 over time.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Speaking of lessons, and I know this is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone personally (I can search Google myself, I'm just hoping someone might have some personal experience in the area) know of a good vocal coach in Toronto?

Operator
Feb 22, 2006
place avatar here

Any pointers? Stuff I should work on?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Operator posted:

Real good, but you probably know that already. Only thing in particular I'd say for you is to try and sit less on consonants and spend more time on your vowels instead. To be honest, at the level you're at (for the music you're singing), most everything is just style choices anyway.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Don't sing on "r" (firrrrrrrrre). I would like to hear longer terminal notes with more time before the vibrato, and I'd like to hear stronger vibrato on those notes. It sounds like you're running out of breath, even though I think more accurately you're stylistically choosing to decrease volume when you start vibrato-ing.

What's your genre choice here? Since this is a jazz song I'm inclined to expect jazz-style ornaments and style. And some of your style IS jazz-like, but then you add in ornaments that are more pop (like "sung like a choi-ee-ior"). Imo they distract from the simple enjoyment of tone quality and musicality that most jazzers go for. Jazz vocalists tend to use more sliding and more melodic variation as ornaments rather than those "flips." For example, "fly-y-y" is totally classic jazz-type ornament and is really nice-sounding.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

Operator posted:

the swoopy left/right stereo in this is probably the most obnoxious thing i've ever heard in my life and i couldn't get far enough to criticise beyond the fact that you're way too breathy and throaty for someone who isn't fat, black and living in 1940

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hired Gun posted:

- Smoking. Do you want to sound manly and awesome? Start smoking! It's improved my tone about tenfold and adds a lot of gravitas. Note: Do not start smoking. It will kill you.

As 100% horrible as it is for you, this is totally true. I've sung in choirs most of my life, and while I sang well, I also sounded really "wimpy". then I started smoking (I am a retard, no argument there) and it's true that it's mellowed my voice a lot and given it a more mature tone, also I can sing raspy/screaming bits if I want without my voice cracking.

Now I just need to quit smoking :saddowns:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I like the stereo but I probably have no objective taste in that regard becasue I just love rotary speaker effects so goddamn much.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I got some comments about the emotionlessness of my Rockstar entry (which I anticipated), so I hosed around with another cover to insert more emotion:

-removed-

Am I just hopeless? I need to work on turning my voice into something people actually want to listen to since I'm starting to do more solo stuff.

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 20, 2010

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

For me, the guitar is way too forward in the mix to the point where it's difficult to focus on the vocals. "Emotional singing" doesn't necessarily mean "sing every line like your child just died." If you need some emotions to get through I recommend saving any "emotional" stylistic notes/pronunciations for a few particular lines you want to emphasize. Doing the same thing over and over in a song dulls it.

edit: Your belting on higher notes sounds so strained it's difficult to enjoy. You might consider trying this in a different key that settles in your voice better

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 19, 2010

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Young Marge posted:

I got some comments about the emotionlessness of my Rockstar entry (which I anticipated), so I hosed around with another cover to insert more emotion:

Am I just hopeless? I need to work on turning my voice into something people actually want to listen to since I'm starting to do more solo stuff.

You have no breath support at all - it sounds like you're on the end of your breath on every line. The belting sounds forced and kind of like you're squeezing it out. It didn't sound emotionless to me, though.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

"sing every line like your child just died."

LOL.

Thank you both for the feedback. I'm removing the link; may try to re-record the vocals later and try to sort all of this out.

:sigh:

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Young Marge posted:

"sing every line like your child just died."

LOL.

Thank you both for the feedback. I'm removing the link; may try to re-record the vocals later and try to sort all of this out.

:sigh:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was terrible or anything. I'm just giving you the most relevant constructive feedback I can. By no means should you stop singing or think you're totally lovely - just work on your breath support, most of the other stuff will probably sort itself out.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Nono, it's cool. I need to hear this stuff, and it's immensely helpful to know some specific things to tackle and try to improve. :) I completely understood what you guys were saying, and want to try the vocals on that again.

Singing lead is hard; there's so much more to it than just staying on pitch. I was hanging out with the singer of my band last night and had to tell him that I have newfound respect for his craft. (Even if he does get to wander in 5 minutes before we go on stage when the rest of us have been there for hours hucking amps around and doing the sound check.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Young Marge posted:

Singing lead is hard; there's so much more to it than just staying on pitch. I was hanging out with the singer of my band last night and had to tell him that I have newfound respect for his craft.
This is cool.

The Young Marge posted:

(Even if he does get to wander in 5 minutes before we go on stage when the rest of us have been there for hours hucking amps around and doing the sound check.)

But this just seems like a prima donna dick move on his part.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm going to get a teacher and learn to sing. I'd like to be able to sing a couple of The Darkness' tunes but I don't know if that would be a good first goal. Should I just try to get there as fast as possible or should I learn some easier songs first?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I just want to be able to sing simple stuff along with my guitar but my voice is inherently poor quality. Would it be alright if I like uploaded a sample on here and got some help? :(

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

i would absolutely love it if you and the The Darkness aspirant would would post some samples

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'll try to get ahold of a proper mic so I can make a fool of myself on the internet as fast as possible. The only mic I have right now is a lovely headphone mic.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Yay, a singing thread!

I love to mess around with multi-part choral stuff. Usually I spring for 4-part harmony (Tenor, Tenor, Baritone, Bass) and sing all 4 parts. It's a hobby mostly.

Note: This is only the last verse and tag of the song! Also using my sort of cheap mic, so sorry about a bit of over-blowing.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 17, 2010

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
When singing a cover of a certain song, is it important to try and emulate him? Or should I try and do my own thing with it, within reason?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Depends on your goal. In a band whose sole purpose is to play covers at like bars and crap? Mimic the guy. Any other situation, make the song your own. If people want to hear the original they'll go listen to the original.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

OK, here's my Rockstar entry. I think I picked a pretty good song for my voice this time, what sayeth youse?

I tried to loosen up, have fun with it and breathe better. I know you can hear some of the breaths, but hopefully that isn't too jarring.

I think I need to work on pronounciation; some of it randomly sounds kind of ugly but I can't really figure out why. Is my Philly accent coming through? Haha. I have another song where every time I sing "ow" (as in "now") it come out as "aaaoooww," so I know to watch for that, at least.

Oh, and I'm totally aware that it isn't perfect - like, I crack a little on "deserve" and that "hand" in "begging for your hand" is kind of out of control.

What else?

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2010

Svrdfsk
Mar 1, 2010
I´m not the one singing here, but our singer does not have an account. None of us can really play our instruments properly, quality is poo poo, and the vocals are sung through an old bass amp.
Any advice on how to improve his singing would be appreciated, even though it might not be too easy because of the bad recording.
http://tindeck.com/listen/sziu

Edit: I forgot to mention that we know it´s not good.

Svrdfsk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 19, 2010

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus
Svrdfsk - The lead singer seems to be rushing ahead of the instruments sometimes, so being careful about timing is one thing he could improve. The back up singing is really rough, it sounds like someone is just shouting in unison with him. Singing the same melody a third above the lead might sound a lot better in those parts.

I think the lead singer's tone matches the instruments well, and I like the overall feel of your music. I think if you cleaned up a few things like that it could end up being good. Does your singer have a monitor? He goes off pitch sometimes, and it could be because he can't properly hear what is going on.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

The Young Marge posted:

OK, here's my Rockstar entry. I think I picked a pretty good song for my voice this time, what sayeth youse?

This is quite good!

I would say that the biggest things are phrase shaping and some pronunciation (which you already copped to, so yeah).

By phrase shaping I mean that it seems like you run out of air a few times at the end of phrases and because of that the intensity drops a little, which gives it an uneven feel. Just make sure you practice taking in as much air as possible to make it through the phrases. This will also help the few times where the pitch dropped (usually in the harmony voices).

As for the pronunciation stuff, just try to annunciate a bit more. You don't have to get all hard consonant on it, but enough to get the words across. You do this about half the time, so just concentrate on it.

But all in all I really liked this. You have a good ear for harmonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Hello, singing thread! Here's some stuff I did for my HS's cabaret show senior year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90oJYsbWPo
"He's the Wiz" from The Wiz
I hope the dance sequence isn't too hard to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcXnVIw0BOI
"Dancing Through Life" from Wicked

http://www.facebook.com/Snaggles?v=app_2392950137#!/video/video.php?v=398803043632
I don't know if the link will work, but this is the other piece I had a solo on, "If I Only Had a Brain".

There are obvious breathing issues, but it isn't easy to sing and dance for a crowd, you know?

e: I plan on studying vocal music in college, by the way.

TheFrailNinja fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 23, 2010

• Locked thread