Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
if one more person suggests another person start smoking in a thread devoted to singing i'm gonna scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

if one more person suggests another person start smoking in a thread devoted to singing i'm gonna scream

A well-modulated outburst, I hope. You might damage your vocal cords otherwise, or set a bad example at the least.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always feel I sing better when I'm hungover, but I think that has more to do with the fact that my throat feels so awful I'm doing everything in my power not to tense it up.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

AriTheDog posted:

You have to song comfortably and without straining before you can take things to the next level. Post a sample, preferably a video, if you can, and you can get better specific advice.

Here's a video of me singing "Whatcha Say" by Jason Derulo. I don't think I was straining or using my throat TOO much in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4YQ59npZdY

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
Super whiny... Sounds like a typical R&B immitation.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

hmmxkrazee posted:

Here's a video of me singing "Whatcha Say" by Jason Derulo. I don't think I was straining or using my throat TOO much in this.

The only time you really sing with a full voice (where you'll be able to hit those high notes) is during the loudest parts of the chorus. You need to shoot for being able to sing with your full voice in any dynamic, soft or loud. Right now you're so breathy that you aren't really going to sing high or low notes well. You also sound like you need much more deep breath support - it sounds like you're singing from your upper chest, mostly.

It would be better without the nasal twinge, too, but I think you achieve what you're going for here fairly well because that's the style right now.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Triple Tech posted:

Super whiny... Sounds like a typical R&B immitation.

If you don't mind, can you be more specific? My genre of choice is probably R&B/Pop so I guess I do put a little bit of that twist which might not come off as being natural. And looking back, I did sing it a little bit too much like Jason Derulo.

AriTheDog posted:

The only time you really sing with a full voice (where you'll be able to hit those high notes) is during the loudest parts of the chorus. You need to shoot for being able to sing with your full voice in any dynamic, soft or loud. Right now you're so breathy that you aren't really going to sing high or low notes well. You also sound like you need much more deep breath support - it sounds like you're singing from your upper chest, mostly.

It would be better without the nasal twinge, too, but I think you achieve what you're going for here fairly well because that's the style right now.

Thanks for the feedback. I gotta agree with the "singing from the upper chest" part. I think I definitely need to work on my breathing.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

hmmxkrazee posted:

If you don't mind, can you be more specific? My genre of choice is probably R&B/Pop so I guess I do put a little bit of that twist which might not come off as being natural. And looking back, I did sing it a little bit too much like Jason Derulo.

I am certainly not Dr. Singing, but I enjoyed it. It wasn't sung with a full, Broadway-style voice but I thought that it really worked in a "hello I'm a regular guy. Oh look, a piano! I'm singing a song for y- oh why am I suddenly covered in panties" sort of way.

Edit: I've also never heard this song before, so don't have anything to compare it to

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

SlippyHat posted:

I am certainly not Dr. Singing,

Easy on the modesty, Slipster. There's that shrine in the Blue Oyster dressing room.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

hmmxkrazee posted:

it sounds to me like you ARE singing from the throat/upper chest and just shielding yourself with really low volume. if you like your voice when you sing quietly but think everything all goes to hell when you start really going for it then you're missing the fundamentals and just deceiving yourself on lighter stuff

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
After reading everyone's comments, I agree that I was singing mostly from the upper chest/throat. The whole "shielding yourself with low volume" is interesting and something I think I tend to do alot. So ideally, I should be using my full voice regardless of volume, correct?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

hmmxkrazee posted:

After reading everyone's comments, I agree that I was singing mostly from the upper chest/throat. The whole "shielding yourself with low volume" is interesting and something I think I tend to do alot. So ideally, I should be using my full voice regardless of volume, correct?

Well, yes, before you try anything else. Eliminating breathiness is part of having good technique, and especially part of having good control. All of the air passing your vocal cords should be going towards making sound - if you can hear any breath, there's a problem.

Once you can sing like this, you're welcome to sing at half-voice whenever you want, but without proper technique it's a crutch that doesn't sound all that great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hmmxkrazee posted:

Other people have already given you some good feedback on this piece, but I would add that purposely "breaking" your voice has limited value and gets distracting after awhile, like the sound of sneakers at a basketball game. The reason why Ne-Yo, Usher, etc. get away with those squeaky notes is because they come at the very top of their impressive ranges at climactic moments in the song, and aren't used to punctuate anything above middle C.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
Would love feedback on strengthening and polishing my voice.

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

I would love if you could criticize my voice and give me some constructive advice.

Konstruct,

Your voice has a pleasant timber and you do a good job of staying on pitch. My only complaint is that you seem removed from the music. I think it would be better if you sang with more power and energy. Then again, I'm no authority on this subject.

Mondo Wav fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 2, 2010

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Konstruct posted:

If you are going for an apathetic new wave sounding thing I like it. I think it doesn't suite the lyrics that well, but i love the lack of inflection with the instrumentation and timbres of the song.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I'm having trouble with a song I'm working on and I don't know what to do. I don't think the vocals are working and I'd really appreciate some constructive criticism on how to improve. Here's the link:

Thanks a ton for listening, I appreciate it!

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Konstruct posted:

Really sing-songy... You can easily visualize pumping your arm left to right on that one. You're not singing enough. Taller, longer, more elegant. "When" is sung as wehhhhhhhh-nuh. Not wennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. "Kiss me" is Kih smee. Not kiss. Me.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Han Solo posted:

I would love if you could criticize my voice and give me some constructive advice.

I'm not sure if you permanently sound like this or are going for an effect but it just sounds sort of breathy... Or not supported. A little... weak? Could you sing more chesty I guess? Breathy is the wrong word. It just doesn't sound strong.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

DeathBySpoon posted:

I'm having trouble with a song I'm working on and I don't know what to do. I don't think the vocals are working and I'd really appreciate some constructive criticism on how to improve. Here's the link:

Thanks a ton for listening, I appreciate it!

I get that this is an intense sounding song and would likewise be paired with some intense sounding vocals... But I don't think you have a solid enough melodic structure with the vocals. Like you're too distracting by trying to make it sound all tough and intense. Which again is a fine affect for this song, but you're sacrificing accuracy. Be more concious of what notes you're hitting and hit actual notes for a discernible length of time. Sometimes you're just punching words and losing the pitch, which is a shame. Also, there were some rough spots so make sure you're absolutely 100% confident about pithces and melody and what not and re-record the vocals. Still intense, but more muscality and less punchy.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

hmmxkrazee posted:

R&B is really hard to sing properly because it's so stylized and the most popular artists tend to be quite the characters themselves. 99% of the time, if you're trying to imitate someone, you're heading down a very dark path. 1) You probably don't have the talent to back up the person that you're imitating, so you're already at a loss. 2) Even if you did, at best you would appear on America's Got Talent in the final round and become a one hit wonder.

The best anyone can do in situations like these is to learn the actual song, minus all the R&B stylings and sing it straight in your own voice. It wouldn't sound as cool or as fun, but it won't sound as wrong either. Then, when you have a personal grip on the song, feel free to go all diva. But use your inner diva, not someone elses.

People imitating R&B stars are The. Worst. Because they're usually people who've never done any structured singing in their life. Being able to whine like Usher does not a singer make. Nor does being an uppity classical student. But I'm willing to bet the farm on the student than the radio star.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Hi, singing thread - I could use some help. Basically I'm a bass player and have only ever sung backup, but I've always wanted to write and sing/play my own music. I've done some ML Rockstar entries contest as kind of a starting point to get me more comfortable with singing and recording. Here are the latest things I did:

(Played it pretty safe and ended up sounding "neutral.")

(Tried to open up and belt it a little more, but now that I listen back, it just sounds painfully awkward as gently caress. Putting it out there anyway because I want to be able to belt things.)

I'm really self-conscious about my voice, which probably comes through. How do I sound more smooth and natural?

And I'm so used to trying to copy other people (singing backup) that I never developed a voice of my own. How do I find my own singing style and sound, like, cool and sexy (lol) with qualities that people like in vocalists?

Any other comments? Should I just practice more? Help!

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I like it. The foundation is all there. I'd say be conscious that the swingy nature if your instrumentals isn't making your vocals sound boring or predictable. Mix it up, keep it varied. Have confidence, you're a strong singer. I like the second track more since you're way more out there.

Remember, repeated structures/devices/phrases shouldn't sound exactly the same! Otherwise people start to tune out.

Edit: Circus is "suh kih suh" not "sirrrrrrr kisss"

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Young Marge posted:

(Tried to open up and belt it a little more, but now that I listen back, it just sounds painfully awkward as gently caress. Putting it out there anyway because I want to be able to belt things.)

I'm really self-conscious about my voice, which probably comes through. How do I sound more smooth and natural?

And I'm so used to trying to copy other people (singing backup) that I never developed a voice of my own. How do I find my own singing style and sound, like, cool and sexy (lol) with qualities that people like in vocalists?

Any other comments? Should I just practice more? Help!

You don't really have good breath support, try and breathe deeper into your guts/stomach/whatever, and make sure to take deep quiet breaths every time you have the chance.

It also sounds like you're singing in the bottom of your mouth and the back of your throat. You might try some singing exercises which focus on loud nasal sounds to try and get your voice more in your "mask" as a lot of people like to call it - the front of your face, your resonant sinus cavities. When you try belting, it sounds screamy because you're forcing it due to bad technique which doesn't give you enough power.

It's not bad, but with better technique it would be pretty drat good.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I had my first voice lesson today and I've really got to recommend that anyone here take at least a few. I literally gained a minor third in the upper part of my range in one day. Granted it was probably more due to the power of suggestion than by the technique tips we went over (singing is so freaking psychological), but it was a good decision.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Triple Tech posted:

good advice about style

AriTheDog posted:

good advice about technique
Thanks, dudes, this is really helpful. I hadn't even thought about varying the phrasing of the repeated parts. And yeah, "screamy" is a great word for what was happening when I hit those higher notes. I'll work on better breathing and getting a better sound. (And if anyone else wants to chime in with additional advice, that'd be just swell!)

Singing is totally psychological, and I think insecurity really comes through. I always feel like I should just have a couple of drinks before recording vocals.

So as far as singing lessons go, how does "classical" training transfer over to singing rock? I have a relative who is a trained soprano and am thinking about asking her to drop some knowledge on me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Okay, I'm looking for an honest appraisal of my singing.

Overall, I'm happy with this take, even though I hosed up the lyrics a little bit, but I doubt that if you don't know the song, you could possibly know what I did wrong. In spite of that, I just feel like it has the most tone and it just feels good throughout aside from the goof-off ending (which I just got carried away).

But I want some honest feedback because I just feel like something is missing from my voice, and I don't know what. But somehow, it just doesn't sound like it's quite right.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Young Marge posted:

So as far as singing lessons go, how does "classical" training transfer over to singing rock? I have a relative who is a trained soprano and am thinking about asking her to drop some knowledge on me.
The general school of thought is that singing of all styles should be identical in all ways except the very end, how you shape your lips/cheeks. That affects vowel sounds and tone quality. So your relative would be able to help with a lot, including breathing technique, tone production, taking care of your voice, what the inside of your mouth should look like, and so on. And personally I think it's really useful to learn what classical vowel sounds look and feel like anyway, because they will help your rock-style vocals sound better, and you might even want to use the actual pure vowels for effect.

edit: Cemetry Gator, it sounds like you recorded this sitting down. You sound like you're forcing all this sound out of your throat, so it sounds very strained and you don't always quite get all the way up to the real pitch. Stand up first of all, and when you sing you shouldn't feel any muscles working in your throat. Look up some proper musician breathing techniques and make sure that when you sing for a while without taking a breath, it's your stomach muscles that start hurting, not your throat.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 5, 2010

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Okay, I'm looking for an honest appraisal of my singing.

Overall, I'm happy with this take, even though I hosed up the lyrics a little bit, but I doubt that if you don't know the song, you could possibly know what I did wrong. In spite of that, I just feel like it has the most tone and it just feels good throughout aside from the goof-off ending (which I just got carried away).

But I want some honest feedback because I just feel like something is missing from my voice, and I don't know what. But somehow, it just doesn't sound like it's quite right.

It sounds like you did this acapella - you drift between keys and the pitch is all over the place. It also sounds like you're singing at the top of your range, where you lack power and control, a problem which is compounded by your total lack of breath support and control. You should try singing it with instrumental backing, standing up, and with smoother breaks between words. It's really, really staccato and I think it's because you're singing on practically no breath at all.

edit: Listening to this song, you should definitely not keep imitating how the BeeGees sing this song. The chorus is ok, but the style for the verse is a tough one to sing well.

Re: Classical-->Rock singing technique: Yeah, I think classical technique will apply to anything. That said, untrained sounding voices (and untrained voices)that lack power and control are popular in some genres of music, such as folk, indie, and punk. Control might help, but it honestly might sounds a little inauthentic depending on what you're going for!

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 5, 2010

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

drat AriTheDog, nailed it in the first paragraph. Came to post the exact same sentiment.

Regarding technique... I'm a big fan. And not just in the musical sense. For any facet of life. Martial arts, programming, art... Technique won't guarantee success, but it will improve your odds of performing consistently, how about that. You won't sound out of breath if you learn how to breathe properly, etc. You won't hurt yourself if you know how to control your dynamic vs screaming, etc.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

These are two demos I did while bored. Just looking for some feedback.

The first is "The Spoken Wheel" By Flogging Molly

The second is "So It Goes" that I helped write for my old band

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

AriTheDog posted:

It sounds like you did this acapella - you drift between keys and the pitch is all over the place. It also sounds like you're singing at the top of your range, where you lack power and control, a problem which is compounded by your total lack of breath support and control. You should try singing it with instrumental backing, standing up, and with smoother breaks between words. It's really, really staccato and I think it's because you're singing on practically no breath at all.

edit: Listening to this song, you should definitely not keep imitating how the BeeGees sing this song. The chorus is ok, but the style for the verse is a tough one to sing well.

Ouch. But you're completely right. I tried listening to it again, and I just cringed. So hopefully I'll get something better.

I think my performance betrays me. I didn't really feel like it was from the throat, and it felt like I was using my diaphragm. But the only issue for me is finding that right register. It's really frustrating because it seems like my vocal range is getting smaller with age. At the low end, my notes become flat. At the high end, it feels weak and powerless. And in the middle, it always feels too quiet.

The only thing I disagree with completely and will ignore was that I wasn't trying to sound like the Bee Gees. And frankly, who knows, maybe singing the song in a falsetto throughout will work perfectly.

But thanks for the advice. I'll try to do it again as soon as possible, and get you something that hopefully sucks less.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ouch. But you're completely right. I tried listening to it again, and I just cringed. So hopefully I'll get something better.

I think my performance betrays me. I didn't really feel like it was from the throat, and it felt like I was using my diaphragm. But the only issue for me is finding that right register. It's really frustrating because it seems like my vocal range is getting smaller with age. At the low end, my notes become flat. At the high end, it feels weak and powerless. And in the middle, it always feels too quiet.

The only thing I disagree with completely and will ignore was that I wasn't trying to sound like the Bee Gees. And frankly, who knows, maybe singing the song in a falsetto throughout will work perfectly.

But thanks for the advice. I'll try to do it again as soon as possible, and get you something that hopefully sucks less.

I don't think it's terrible. It is what it is - I tried to give you constructive criticism on things you could avoid/improve. Regarding sounding like the BeeGees, I'm not familiar with the song, but after listening to it once on YouTube, they perform it in a similarly staccato manner, with sharp pauses between words during the verses, and to me, that aspect was similar to your recording.

I started to record myself today for the first time in a while, and man, I'm out of practice, but moreover, trying to sing in an apartment building or anywhere that isn't very private sucks. Singing freely and unabashedly is the first part of sounding good, and it's hard to do when you're worried about pissing people off or shy about your singing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

I don't think it's terrible. It is what it is - I tried to give you constructive criticism on things you could avoid/improve.

And you did a very good job with the criticism. Everything you said has a ton of merit. When I said it sounds terrible to me, it is because I know I could have done better.

Also, if you want to be more familiar with the 60s Bee Gees, check out Odessa. It's their only double album, and there's not a single falsetto at all. Plus, it features some great songs that don't get a lot of press. And no falsettos.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the feedback, so the over all jist is to balls it up a bit and push out harder. I'll try it out with my next track.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

AriTheDog posted:

Singing freely and unabashedly is the first part of sounding good, and it's hard to do when you're worried about pissing people off or shy about your singing.

Word up, I think this may be half my problem. I'm sharing a computer room with someone who's in there 95% of the time and who never leaves the house, so I basically have to dash home immediately after work and haphazardly record vocals before he gets there and sits there playing Starcraft 2 from 6pm to 1am. :saddowns:

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

Rkelly posted:

If you are going for an apathetic new wave sounding thing I like it. I think it doesn't suite the lyrics that well, but i love the lack of inflection with the instrumentation and timbres of the song.

Pretty much what I was going for. It's a pain in the rear end playing, recording, and mixing everything by yourself but I'm glad some people are digging it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So, I got a lucky break today, and I spent it trying to get a good test run. This was when I didn't have to worry about holding back, so I didn't. I have about a half-hour of vocal runs that are either good but feature a few too many issues, or are me ending in goofing off.

I know there are a few problems already. Such as a few really bad pronunciations of words like "Juliana" (Bfuhliana?), "Frankincense," and my personal favorite, I forgot that "Desired" has a d and an s in it. And I don't know what I did to the line "No promises as fake as heaven," but every time I recorded it, I hosed it up.

But I think aside from that, it's a song that works for me and my voice. You can't sing a song that you can't understand, and Jane is one of those songs that I just resonate with. So I tried to put that into my performance.

Aside from that, it's all pretty decent. The biggest immediate issue is the pronunciation, and if I was doing a serious recording for an actual release rather than a technical recording for feedback, I'd keep going until I didn't screw up "Juliana" or "desired." Also, right after I finished, I no longer had the place to myself, and couldn't belt it out anymore.

So I hope you don't read that as laziness.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I've been reading this thread with great interest, people here seem to know what they are talking about. I've just recently started exploring singing at age 27, having never done much of it before save for some drunken hollering probably because most of my friends are tone deaf and hate singing/playing.

I've played guitar half-assedly since forever but started attacking piano seriously for the first time about 2 years ago, and I'd love to be able to sing along with that with some basic level of competency, hopefully I'll be able to take some singing lessons this fall.

This is my starting point, I guess - I loved exquisite tea's wonderful rendition of Eli The Barrow Boy and did a version of that in the sounding key of D-minor hoping for some constructive criticism.

edit: Dm not Em

Arashikage fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

A few points:

There are times where you are hitting around the note, but not hitting it dead on. I notice that when you do a glide, it usually starts off-pitch and ends where you want it.

On "I must push my barrow," it's clear that you are hitting the beneath bottom of your range, and it's flattening out. It makes it sound weak and it kills the rest of the line. It's the conclusion to the verse and the song. You want to end it a lot stronger.

It also feels like you are attacking and ending words to quickly. It sounds like on the first verse you are doing an imitation of a Vegas Lounge Singer doing Ian Curtis. It sounds very off the cuff and casual and I'm not sure that's what you're going for.

• Locked thread