Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Not sure if you guys will be able to help me, but I figure this is the best place to ask.

So I started working at a haunted house. My role requires me to be loud and yell, scream, growl. So I jump in the scene, yell at the people, yell some more.. and then either let off a deep growl or a high pitched scream/laugh/etc. This is all good for about two hours and then the tension headache sets in. Seeing as two hours is about the half-way point of my night.. the remaining time is tough. I can't stop yelling and go and rest. I have been loading up on anti-headache meds, drinking plenty of water, and I am in shape (although I could probably strengthen my neck muscles more).

I might be yelling wrong.. I am kinda just throwing my voice out there and not really pushing it out from my diaphragm. I can do that with a growl but I'm not sure how to do that with clearly audible yelling (mixed with a fake southern accent to boot). Not to mention this is a Fri/Sat/Sun night gig so my voice is decimated by the end.

What kind of vocal warm-ups should I be doing? How should I deal with (ideally, prevent) these headaches? I have this throat numbing spray which helps a ton, but I can't be using that every 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread