Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I've been singing for a while by myself, and recently I started singing with a band. I would love to improve. Do you guys have any suggestions what I should work on? I've never had vocal training, so I'm worried that I might be doing something wrong and potentially ruining my voice long-term. Or just not reaching my potential. When I started singing, I had this tiny, quiet, mousy and breathy little voice. But I just sang along boldly with stuff like Nightwish or Loreena McKennitt (it sounded terrible) and gradually it developed. Is it wrong to push yourself like that? Unfortunately, I can't afford lessons at the moment, but it is something I'm planning to do at some point.

I also have no idea how to warm up my voice. Usually what I do is sing simple tunes, then gradually work into more difficult stuff, until I feel more comfortable. Is that basically it?

Also, has anyone tried singing Teardrop? I've been working on that for years, literally, and it is so difficult to get right! We're going to cover it with the band, I'm so excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Unlikely as it is, does anyone have advice for teaching singing to a kid with cerebral paralysis?

I have a high school student who I tutor privately in English (as a foreign language), so I am familiar with her difficulties and how to work through them. She would really love to sing, and is very passionate about it. But when she tries, she shifts by reflex to a high-pitched monotone. Obviously, her main problem is controlling the muscles of the vocal cords. When she speaks, it's also with some difficulty.

I know this is probably a lost cause, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The goal wouldn't be to achieve some high technical level, just to be able to gradually practice towards following a tune.

My approach was to tell her to try gradually shifting the pitch, from low to high and back. To see if she can feel the difference, and just practice that for a while. So that she gains some manner of control over it. I warned her emphatically to be careful not to hurt her voice, if she feels it hurting, to relax and rest for a while, likewise if she gets tired. I would not want to cause her any harm, especially since I'm not a professional music teacher by any stretch.

I also tried to get her to sing in her normal speaking register, or to just hold one note in it so that her voice relaxes.

This is not something we can practice a lot, but she always asks me about it, so I keep thinking how I might be able to help. Maybe someone here has some good ideas. :)

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

Fascinating question. There's a bunch of different kinds of cerebral palsy, so it's even harder to think of ways to help. But a real medical doctor is probably the best consult. Maybe an ENT? If she could find an ENT who is also a vocalist, they would probably have the best understanding of how her muscles work and how that could be harnessed for singing. But really, the girl herself might be the best judge of what to do. I think your advice is sound and you should just encourage her to experiment and see what works.

Thank you for this advice! It's an approach I hadn't considered, probably not something I can help with, but good to try and think in that direction.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

You need to relax more. You're off-key in several places, but it follows the pattern of making mistakes at the points where you must've felt the most insecure. In the very beginning and at the refrain or something. Basically, you need more practice, that's the only thing that'll help.

Whoever made you record this is doing you good. You need to record so often that you don't get nervous about it anymore. For me, recording has been infinitely important for improvement. You can track what you're doing wrong and also just get used to it.

I'd say you just need more practice. As in, keep doing what you're doing until you've done it so many times, that you're confident and can relax.

• Locked thread