Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm looking for some advice on singing...I'm really not much of a singer, I mostly sing along to stuff in the car and do karaoke/Rock Band every now and then. I recorded myself singing this song by Corelia (https://soundcloud.com/paul-fake/corelia-red-sky-harbor-vocal), and I've identified the following things that I don't like or would otherwise like some advice on:

-When singing high, I either sound thin or nasally. I'd prefer to be able to sing high with some grit like the original singer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKyl2Xs3GxM) but I can't make it happen.
-It almost sounds like I'm whispering or singing tentatively even when I feel like I'm singing loudly and proudly. Maybe that's just in my head though.
-How the hell do you sing into a condenser mic without overloading it? I had to literally shout from 10 feet away for some parts, but when I see studio footage singers are always right up close to it the whole time.
-I did some distortion on lower parts, but it started to hurt my voice a bit. I know it's possible to do it in a way that doesn't hurt, but I don't know how.
-Any other advice that would make me better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Thanks for the huge reply! I did do some EQ/compression/reverb on the recording I made, but I probably didn't do it too well if it sounds raw. Well, trust me that the raw version is much, much worse-sounding. As far as the mic gain goes, there is a -10db switch on it...but even with that switch set I still had to stand all the way across the room to record the screaming parts. There doesn't appear to be any sort of gain dial on the mic (it's a $50 USB condenser from Amazon).

Anyways, my conservatory is letting me take voice lessons this semester instead of piano so hopefully I'll improve.

• Locked thread