Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Didn't know this thread existed!

I started studying voice clasically when I was about 12. When I got to high school I continued singing in the choirs all four years. Started college as a music major but ultimately ended up graduating as a theatre major. I still sing professionally as a soloist at a church in LA on the weekends in addition to my full-time job. It's a really great musical outlet.

I've wanted to dabble in a bit of recording and put it out there for a while. I'd be happy to comment and give advice for anyone else.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Arashikage posted:

My teacher has never had me do a single warm-up exercise or in fact mentioned them at all.

!!

Content: please do warm-up your voice. It's better for you and for people listening to you. :P

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Male on Sunday posted:

I asked my teacher about warm up exercises today and he said they had no physiological basis (the relevant muscles' small size and localization amidst an abundance of vasculature made them plenty warm to begin with and using them wouldn't make them much warmer), but if they helped you psychologically then fine do them. He said he never did - and he sings for a living.

Not exactly sure how to respond to this. I'm classically trained and have been singing professionally for years. My voice is definitely not where it should be until I warm it up a bit - I get my breathing in the right place, my top range opens up, etc. I mean, I sing with many professional musicians, all with different backgrounds in training, and warming up is pretty universal.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

canned_fruit posted:

Sounds like falsetto. If you keep going lower and there's a "break" in your register (you'll know what I'm talking about when you do it) then it's falsetto because it's a different way of singing to chest/head.

With enough practice and control, you can actually eliminate that "break" entirely and your falsetto transition into full voice will be unnoticeable.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just performed the Brahms Requiem last night with ~90 singers and ~55 instrumentalists in the orchestra. After months of rehearsing, the thing finally felt right and I didn't walk away with a completely dead voice. Yay for improved technique! The entire work lasts about 90 minutes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Joe Anglican posted:

Congratulations! That's actually a somewhat undersized ensemble for such an exhausting work, but I know from experience how rewarding it can be.

Now the key question: German or English? :)

Natürlich auf Deutsch!

Hawkgirl posted:

Haha, do you go to CSULB? They just performed it last weekend as well (again. I got to do it as an undergrad and it rocked).

Joe Anglican: UGH has someone actually performed the entire thing in English? Ugh. I don't mind so much if it's just that one movement that everyone loves and it's some high school, but...the whole thing? In English? :(

I'm an alum (started as music major but ended up with a degree in theatre - acting/directing). I also did it as an undergrad seven years ago (freshman year) so I'm guessing we did it together! PM me or something. :P

Nowadays I sing with Dr. T at FCCLA as my weekend gig. :)

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 10, 2011

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Boz0r posted:

I was at my singing lesson this friday, and suddenly I blacked out. I awoke later in an ambulance with a gash in the back of my head and a concussion. What gives?

Did you lock your knees?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

When "compression" was initially brought up I think it was in the context of post-production/SFX.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 17, 2014

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I quit my weekend gig in lieu of having weekends where my wife and I can actually do something. I miss the music and I miss the paychecks, but overall the quality of life changes have been for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Sing in the shower. Sing any time between the hours of 9am and like 9pm in your apartment without care (but maybe a little shame).

• Locked thread