Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'd love some feedback from anyone about the vocals on my Myspace full of demos.

FakeEdit: Yes, that one song does have a TON of autotune. That was intended.

RealEdit: StormChasing is the most recent and probably the best example of my current vocals.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hired Gun posted:

Edit: I want music to punch me in the face. Your music wants to punch me in the face, but you're not letting it. You burying your vocals makes you seem like you lack confidence in them. Like it's an obligatory part of the song but you're unsure if it's good enough. gently caress it, man, you're singing and it is what it is. Let it get out there.

Thanks man. I'm working on learning how to mix from a friend of mine who's going to school for just that. The biggest thing holding me back is my own lack of time to produce. :smith:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

About harmonies:
I never took any sort of voice training, but I've sung in various amateur choirs for several years. At a certain point, (to me anyway) the harmonies just kind of snap into place, like if that's what the lead part is doing, then this part over here needs to do this so the lower part can do that. For me it's just a matter of practicing and just really starting to think harmonies over the songs I already know. Even if there's no harmony over a particular vocal part, just ad-lib to what you hear on the radio. Heck, I got bored once and recorded a verse from American Pie just to see how many different harmonies I could fit into a couple of bars of music. I know there are better ways, but they probably involve getting training, so just listen to what's around you and start adding harmonies in your head.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hired Gun posted:

The hardest part of harmony, to me, is when the harmony melody gets disjointed from the lead melody (for instance, when the harmony voice has to hold a note while the lead goes up or down).

But that's the really exciting part!!!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Here's a better sounding version of StormChasing

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

These are two demos I did while bored. Just looking for some feedback.

The first is "The Spoken Wheel" By Flogging Molly

The second is "So It Goes" that I helped write for my old band

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'd be happy to take any kind of critiques on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

AriTheDog posted:

What are you going for here? It's hard to critique without knowing.

edit: same question for Arashikage.

It's actually an acoustic cover of a ska/punk song by my old band. I was trying to translate at least some of the energy into a softer format.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 30, 2010

• Locked thread