Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Am I okay to just post some songs I sing on? I only just noticed this thread and I hope cross posting from the sketches thread is okay. Basically, I don't imagine myself ever being a singer people listen to and go, "yeah, he sounds awesome!" but I'd like to be serviceable as I might be doing vocal duties for the band I'm in, at least until we find a real singer. I only have three songs recorded I've sung on so it might not be much to go on. I've looked around and while I'd love to find a vocal coach/teacher but most seem really out of the way (I live a few hours away from where most are based) or are way more than I can afford. So I'd love some internet help if possible.

This was done today and I admittedly have a slightly sore throat but I think it's still a good indicator of my range (Or lack of).
Same song but with only acoustic. I kind of prefer the way my voice sits with acoustics.
Last song, and the first one I ever really recorded vocals for. It's got some weird inflections and choices but I actually kind of dig the way it turned out.

So there you have it. I'm open to any and all help and criticism. I am not a delicate flower that needs to be told it's fine. Maybe I'm too breathy, or focus too much on highs, or just outright suck. That's fine, I need to know so I have something to work for.

Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hawkgirl posted:

Look into breathing exercises. You don't have any air support when you sing and it gives you a choppy unsupported tone. Makes you sound out of tune (although that's vowel shape as well).

I looked up stuff about this after my latest recording. I didn't even know I was breathing wrong. How the gently caress does that work? That being said, thanks, it gives me a direction. Hopefully this time next year I won't sound like I'm having an asthma attack.

• Locked thread