Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Seconding the above. If you're a baritone, you won't really be physically capable of hitting the top notes of a high tenor glam rocker, especially someone like the voice behind "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". So either you're looking at transposition, or using falsetto for the higher notes. Then again, that runs into the problem you mentioned of the weird switching between registers, unless you extend the lower range of your falsetto, but that can only go so far, and you'd get all countertenor-y.

My fiancé is a high baritone, and he absolutely tops out at about a B4, occasionally C5, but his larynx gets so high at that point that it's more for comedy. Usage wise, G4. Falsetto obviously extends upwards much further, but it's not that practical.

Long story short, transpose. But what would really be best is choosing rep that suits your voice, not trying to mould your voice to suit the rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Kylra posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to access whistle register, but I can't seem to get it to go. I tried the vocal fry glissando trick, but all that seems to happen is that I end up doing witches voice around A5-C6, especially once I try to power it up a little bit. I imagine that that's not what the musculature is supposed to feel like for whistle register, so I'm guessing I am doing something wrong and/or haven't happened into the mechanical position to produce it. Any tips?

Why do you want whistle register? Are you trying to sing "Emotions" by Mariah Carey or something? I don't think everyone is able to access whistle, so you just might not physically be able to do it. But to give yourself the best chance you need to eliminate tension in your neck and jaw and keep your head in a neutral position (i.e no tilting downwards, slouching etc). In terms of musculature you should be feeling as little as possible, and whatever you do feel engage should be in your lower body anyway. Also don't try to push yourself up there, it should feel like you're using hardly any air, because it's just enough to phonate so high without blowing out. You don't need "power" in whistle; the note is so high that it'll carry on its own just by existing. Perhaps try making sad puppy dog noises as high as you can and just exploring your upper range.

Out of curiosity, what's the vocal fry glissando trick?

• Locked thread