Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Incredulous Red posted:

So I'll be working free for the LA City Attorney's office this summer.

Go me.

Where do you go to law school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

scribe jones posted:

can you talk about the interview process a lil bit? that's the next step for me (already did the assessment for both TCO and RA), and I have no idea what to expect. just standard behavioral "tell me about a time when you" bullshit?

Ha, nothing like that.

If you don't have the required 6 or 12 accounting credit hours, you start with an accounting test. I had to take this, and you can learn everything you need in one night reading an accounting 100 study guide. That is graded immediately, and if you pass you then have a panel interview, either in person or by phone. There's some intro talk, like why you're interested in the position, where you want to live, etc. For the TCO position you are then asked a series of 8 standard questions, which involve some basic accounting questions, some computations, and some customer service. It's a joke and pathetically easy to pass. I was never interviewed for an RA position, so I can't comment on that one, but I imagine it's not much different.

After that, you sit and wait for your conditional offer.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 17, 2011

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Omerta posted:

I have to take out 15k a year, scholarship covered the rest and parents are getting my living expenses. Free Gucci.

You'll still die alone.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ha, nothing like that.

If you don't have the required 6 or 12 accounting credit hours, you start with an accounting test. I had to take this, and you can learn everything you need in one night reading an accounting 100 study guide. That is graded immediately, and if you pass you then have a panel interview, either in person or by phone. There's some intro talk, like why you're interested in the position, where you want to live, etc. For the TCO position you are then asked a series of 8 standard questions, which involve some basic accounting questions, some computations, and some customer service. It's a joke and pathetically easy to pass. I was never interviewed for an RA position, so I can't comment on that one, but I imagine it's not much different.

After that, you sit and wait for your conditional offer.

yeah I'm not stressed out about it. on another forum people were freaking out because they got B's and C's on the simulation, which seems impossible unless you clicked the option to call the taxpayer a retard or whatever.

Sibtiger
May 25, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Finding solid Canadian employment numbers is basically impossible. The best you'll usually find are surveys run by each school's CSO, but even then you'll get like a 40% no-reply rate.
Yeah, I've been wondering if that's the case. Kind of strange, and I don't like relying on anecdotal evidence, but I'll do my best.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

edit: Hey Sib, sucks about the rejection from Osgoode. If it makes you feel better, they just moved to a holistic system and the admission chances have become completely random. Also the school sucks right now because the entire building is locked down and under construction. Even our library was packed away into boxes, though some materials were moved onto stacks in the basement of a nursing building :v:
I had heard about the construction, actually. And yeah, I can see how I wouldn't do so well in a "holistic" system, I don't have a whole lot outside of my marks. Honestly though it was already a toss-up between the two in my mind so it wasn't a big deal- I was already leaning towards Dalhousie for a few reasons.

I'm actually pretty excited about moving to Halifax (though I would prefer to be going with my girlfriend), I loved the city when we went to visit. And I actually got to talk to the recruiter at FMC and she said that the two schools are pretty much seen as the same quality education-wise, but the atmosphere at Dal was likely to be a lot more supportive.

I don't really foresee anyway I won't be going, so if the OP wants to include me as a 0L, feel free.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ersatz posted:

Sour cream is an abomination. Tacochat continues.

They're not serving burritos if it is sour cream that comes with it... it must be crema.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Abugadu posted:

To update the OP, I'm back at the Guam AG's office.

Also, last threads' champions:

User -- Posts
JudicialRestraints 716
Ainsley McTree 660
Incredulous Red 475
CaptainScraps 473
evilweasel 463

Apparently UW-Madison needs to assign more busywork.

Did you consolidate Grumblefish's posts among his different names?

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 7, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
New thread!
Under the MPC if you conspire with someone through 5.03(2), are you liable for their actions as under 2.06?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Direwolf posted:

I dont want to get you down, but I'm looking for a summer job and saw your post so I applied online and I heard back already, and I live in China :(

Also I should be Northwestern 0L in the OP, assuming the NYU letter that arrives tomorrow is slim and light.

:( :( :(

perhaps when I applied to be a barista I aimed too high...

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Ainsley McTree posted:

:( :( :(

perhaps when I applied to be a barista I aimed too high...

Well, keep trying! Tons of cafe jobs out there. There are other places to work, and I have previous barista work experience at Borders and my school cafe, so I am fairly well referenced in making coffee. Sad as that is.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

I'm going to Emory next year. I've thought about it for months and I can't think of anything I would want to do more even with poo poo the way it is right now. I finished finals yesterday and I'm reading Lubet's trial techniques for fun (again).

On a different note I signed my MPN and took out my first loans. I have to take out 15k a year, scholarship covered the rest and parents are getting my living expenses. Free Gucci.

Where are you from? I grew up in Atlanta and I'm working in the city this summer.

Also, I just finished my paper for my Military Justice class. It was on PMC contractor liability under the UCMJ. I got antsy toward the end and decided to write a fun paragraph. Try to spot all the game references.

HR's Paper posted:

The great expansion in the market of civilian contractors in the last two decades will have a lasting impact on the future of war fighting. Although with the drawdown of U.S. troops in Iraq there is a corresponding drawdown of contractors, the issue of contractor liability will not disappear. Iraq is an example of modern warfare. Some groups have asserted that, although weapons evolve, war never changes. Though there is some truth to that, it is not entirely accurate. In reality, war has changed. The traditional meaning of “Total War” has faded away. No longer are we threatened with total annihilation from a rival superpower, but rather the primary threat the U.S. faces is non-state actors, small radical forces, quite possibly an army of two, and that threat required a change of strategy and tactics. America’s Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines have adapted and modified their operating methods to become more efficient and mobile powers while maintaining the capability to project force on a global scale. These changes have been in part possible through the employment of soldiers of fortune. However, with the dawn of this new war and the employment of private contractors, the legal framework that governs war fighting must adapt.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 7, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Abugadu posted:

To update the OP, I'm back at the Guam AG's office.

Also, last threads' champions:

User -- Posts
JudicialRestraints 716
Ainsley McTree 660
Incredulous Red 475
CaptainScraps 473
evilweasel 463

Apparently UW-Madison needs to assign more busywork.

The problem is that while doing busywork I post. Trying to cut down on that.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Keep posting. This thread helps me keep my sanity while I'm at the library. That and I also check Facebook every 2 or 3 minutes.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

billion dollar bitch posted:

New thread!
Under the MPC if you conspire with someone through 5.03(2), are you liable for their actions as under 2.06?

Technically no. What happens though is for a conspiracy you need an agreement, and for an agreement (assuming it's face to face), at some point you are gong to be soliciting the crime. So you can conceptualize it to trickle down to solicitation to get 2.06 to trigger.

If you want my crim outline it is huge and totally MPC based. Here's a sample hypo to illustrate the whole conspiracy/complicity thing.

P and D agree that P will rob bank X. D does nothing else. P decides to rob bank Y, which is more heavily guarded. In the course of the robbery he kills a bank guard who tries to stop him, and in driving away at high speed he accidentally kills a pedestrian. P is charged with robbery, murder, and negligent homicide. Is D an accomplice in any of these crimes? Under the MPC? In a jurisdiction that follows the Pinkerton rule regarding conspiracy and complicity (see previous chapter)?

1. Assume that P does rob Bank X. What result?

-What makes D an accomplice here? The agreement needs to have a solicitation. Merely being in a conspiracy does NOT make you an accomplice under the MPC; conspiracy is actually NOT mentioned in this part of the MPC
-Not generally a problem with these situations though (every time there is a face to face conspiracy where parties deal with one another, you will be able to infer encouragement even from a passive conspirator).

2. Difference between MPC and Pinkerton:
- Pinkerton makes you an accomplice by virtue of being in a conspiracy. MPC does NOT do this, gotta aid, try to aid, encourage, etc. etc.

3. What is the significance of the change of venue of the robbery?
-This is another problem with all of the forward oriented crimes. There are differences that may be either material or immaterial (what time vs. how heavily guarded is the bank). There is nothing in the MPC that tells us how to draw the distinctions. You must have the purpose to promote or facilitate the crime but we don’t know how specific you need to be. There is no clear line whether the difference of banks is in or outside the scope of the crime that D had the purpose to promote.
-Case law hasn’t helped the analysis much; the actus reas can differ in some detail then what the accomplice is imagining when they began to aid.

4. Assume that D is complicit in the robbery of bank Y. What about the murder?
-Many states treat killings in the course of robberies as felony murders. If the state had a felony murder statute that called this murder, P would be called a felony murder even if it were accidental. D would be guilty of accomplice of felony murder because of §2.06(4)., provided the felony murder statute is a strict liability. If D was P’s accomplice in the robbery, he would be an accomplice in the murder.
- Could also be guilty here if he has a conditional purpose: “rob the bank and if necessary, kill guards to do it right.”

5.If we decide that the identity of the banks are important, what could we still charge D with?
-Conspiracy to rob, solicitation of robbery, and attempted robbery through 5.01(3). He did all these crimes with respect to Bank X.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 7, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
MPC? Are we in the magical realm of make believe because to the best of my knowledge that's the only place this fruity poo poo applies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

MPC? Are we in the magical realm of make believe because to the best of my knowledge that's the only place this fruity poo poo applies.

in elite schools we don't learn anything that could be considered applicable to actual practice, that's extremely crass

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

It's tricky, because our prof told us to bring our NYPC's, but all his previous exams have been from the MPC. Except one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 5, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress you faggots law school owns

also "go to valpo dine on alpo" now pops up on google's autocomplete, hahahahaha

Whoa, check out some of the stuff that comes up:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1064743072-post23.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/865976-teen-lawyer-volunteer-programs.html

http://www.wellcultured.com/culture/848/5-ways-to-save-money-in-college

comment one on here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValparaisoLaw

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The MPC's stance on rape is the best. It's not illegal to rape your wife, it's not illegal to rape a man, and it's not illegal for women to rape anyone

kind of wondering how that one got in there tbh

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Ainsley McTree posted:

The MPC's stance on rape is the best. It's not illegal to rape your wife, it's not illegal to rape a man, and it's not illegal for women to rape anyone

Illegal, just not rape.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

evilweasel posted:

comment one on here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValparaisoLaw

Pro bono legal assistance to amateur athletes? Seriously?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Where do you go to law school?

Not in Los Angeles . . .

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, that's the traditional common law approach, which is absurdly narrow. Has to involve penetration and nothing except the penis counts. Has to be by a man, on a woman not his wife. Has to involve force, so she has to fight back or it doesn't count.

As an interesting bit of historical trivia, Thomas Aquinus argued that masturbation was worse than rape, because at least rape involved the chance of procreation.

Glad we have our priorities straight, there, Tom.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

"Ainsley McTree, April 19, 2007" posted:

I've got kind of a strange (possibly) question. I ctrl-f'd through the thread and didn't see any answers, but does a school with no grades hamper your opportunities after graduation at all? I'm a 1L at Northeastern, we have no grades here, just "evaluations". They're basically grades without the numbers; there are buzzwords that correspond to a letter grade, an excellent is an A, a very good is a B+, etc, but the point is, I think, that you can't be ranked into percentiles. I don't know how many other schools do this; apparently Yale does too, I did not know this until I read the thread, but then again, Northeastern isn't Yale.

But what kind of concerns me is that from what I hear, employers give a lot of weight to whether or not you're in the top ten percent, and whether or not you're on a law review. Northeastern has no grades and has no law review. I asked about it to some of the faculty and other advisor-type people, but I get very Northeasterny answers.

I'm not exactly sure who I'm asking this question to...lawyers I guess, maybe Northeastern grads, I dunno. Maybe the top 10%/law review thing doesn't even matter unless you wanna work at BIG FIRM, INC. I guess I'm just curious. It's a neat system that they've got here, but since it's one of the only schools using it, I wonder if it isn't a little detrimental to the students in the end.

We do have the co-op system though, I do like that. That's why I came actually. I may not have grades, but I'll have 4 semesters of work experience under my belt. That must count for something.

lawl

Those old megathreads are awesome.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
drat, I was hoping the previous thread would last a couple more months - it started right around the beginning of the school year, so if I do end up quitting it would've contained my entire law school experience :kiddo:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Abugadu posted:

lawl

drat, that's depressing. Glad I'm going to Northwestern. Totally different thing here. That's practically the opposite direction!

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Abugadu posted:

lawl

This needs to be added to the OP and coupled with his "literally suck a dick in Alaska" post

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
One more month and I'll finally be done with my first year of law school. Only three and a half left to go of schooling and two of clerking before I can have my own reality judge show.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Abugadu posted:

lawl

Sorry, Ainsley, but I really laughed when I read that post.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

lawl

PUT IT AWAY

THAT MAN IS DEAD I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM

edit: literally couldn't read it, don't want to remember

double edit: that said, whatever's in that post, feel free to couple it with my blowjob alaska post because my guess is that it chronicles my fall in a way that might talk people out of going to law school and I don't mind being embarrassed if it saves a few idiots from doing something stupid

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2010

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
It's a race to finish my paper before I leave the country! Quality work, you say? Not in this house! Nothing says competent than bluebooking with your heart

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I slipped something into my corporations exam needling my german professor about the tendency for german companies to bribe everyone.

I'm not sure if it was too subtle but it was satisfying.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is important.

SlyFrog posted:

Said partner at said Upper Midwest Biglaw firm has never, and will never, discuss anything remotely related to Warhammer 40k (which said partner has not played in some years) or any other games (computer and/or miniature and/or board related) with any of said partner's partners or associates.

Said partner has spent the last roughly 10-15 years of his life in a failed attempt to become a "norm" and discuss cars, charity auctions, and whatever else these loving idiots find exciting, while suppressing the gamer/geek identity that is fundamental to his spirit.

Said partner has failed to become a norm and has also left his geek community behind, and now is a stranger in a strange land - not accepted by those people around him (for the normal ones always feel offput by a true geek, no matter how hard he tries to mask his nature), and fearing to walk with his true people (also, fearing the smell and social awkwardness of his true people).

We will never discuss gaming at my firm. If you discuss the topic in my presence, I will nervously pretend not to know what it is, while inside I will be keenly agitated and emotional, desperately dying to reach out and touch you, to finally connect, but knowing that I can not and will not. We may be in each others' presence for years, decades, never knowing or being able to share the geekery and passion that is mutually held.

I am like a closeted gay man knowing he can never come out, crying alone, convinced by the church to change into something not "disgusting," to try to love discussions about golf, cars, local politics, and hedge funds. I am the marine in American Beauty, isolated from all because of the monster I am, while I refuse to consort with my fellow monsters (as they are monsters) who might be the only company I could find.

Some day, like that marine, I will finally break and walk up to some random person I have misinterpreted as being a fellow geek. I will ask them if they would be interested in playing Space Hulk, or maybe Blood Bowl, maybe even start a small league because you know, I have all the stuff, they wouldn't even need to buy anything or bring any minis along. I will have misread them. They will laugh, and say, "Oh my god, you are a grown adult, you still play with kids toys? What, do you have Barbies too? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Then they will tell others. Spurned, what credibility I have ruined, I will go to my dark place and end us.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HiddenReplaced posted:

Also, I just finished my paper for my Military Justice class.

How did you like the class? I wish we'd had one at Loyola. I ended up just doing a lot of papers on military aspects of whatever law we were studying in my electives.

Also, looking like I won't be heading to Charlottesville for JAG school until early next year! :(

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Linguica posted:

new chartz :swoon:
Are there figures for other schools, or are these just the top schools to place Article III clerks? Becuase I understand that I need to essentially be the top of the top 5% to even be considered for an Article III clerkship for where I'm going, and that poo poo just won't happen. But I can't believe W&L is on there but not W&M. Dammit.

builds character posted:

This is important.
Probably the single greatest thing I've read in any of these threads.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Green Crayons posted:

Are there figures for other schools, or are these just the top schools to place Article III clerks? Becuase I understand that I need to essentially be the top of the top 5% to even be considered for an Article III clerkship for where I'm going, and that poo poo just won't happen. But I can't believe W&L is on there but not W&M. Dammit.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/article_iii_clerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

lipstick thespian posted:

Sorry, Ainsley, but I really laughed when I read that post.

Me too :(

Yeah, Linguica, that needs to go in the OP "testimonials" + "suck a dick in alaska"

e: Ainsley what was your undergrad degree in? I'm trying to think if I know of anything for you...