Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Strict Liability posted:

In year 1 through 5, agreed. After that, not so much.

I actually agree that law students should be open to looking outside the traditional biglaw path and I know at least one person who has gone on to work at a high-end personal injury firm. Yes, there are some people who rake in the money. But saying that the plaintiff-side trajectory tends to outpace biglaw earnings in the longterm is just disingenuous. Only the very best plaintiff-side firms and attorneys make anywhere near what defense-side firms make.

There are exceptions for things like corporate plaintiff's practice, patents, etc., but I don't think these are really in the same category. What you're talking about is private practice with a "public interest" component, which is really great and noble, but honestly not terribly lucrative for most people who go down that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
For every attorney at Lieff Cabraser there are 1,000 folks scraping by on slip-and-fall cases, be it 2 years in, 5 years in, 10 years in.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yes you see but if you work hard and hustle for business...

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
those posts read just like the average 0L post on toplawschools or something, just replace "biglaw" with "mass torts"

it's all expecting to be the few percent that succeed rather than the vast majority that, best case, accept the lifestyle and get by

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Strict Liability posted:

In year 1 through 5, agreed. After that, not so much.

The problem is you need to survive years 1-5. Especially 1-3.

A lot of plaintiff's attorneys aren't interested in hiring you fresh out of law school because they have to train you. They don't have the same operating capital as defense firms.

All the entry level plaintiff's jobs I've seen have been absolutely horrible, with the exception of Baron and Budd. Like $30k horrible.

Right now I'm actually one of the attorneys on a plaintiff's law firm dissolution and jesus christ these guys are barely scraping by.

I do every kind of law except criminal. Every day is weird.

Look. I'm in year 4 of hanging out a shingle. I don't struggle to pay my loans. I can take vacations. I'm trying to buy a house.

And the only reason I can is because I had significant advantages in terms of support networks that most law students don't. Most of the law students I know who tried what I did failed.

Except for Roger, because he's wonderful.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 2, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Defense work is much more consistent and better paying on average because defendants have money and plaintiffs do not. Going plaintiff's side has higher potential rewards in exchange for considerably higher risks: you fund the litigation and if you lose, you're out money rather than just out the chance for more business. Pointing to the reward for the people who won that risk doesn't say much about the risk/reward balance, and you have to consider the downside.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh dear, it turns out that self declared native American sovcit had mailed an affidavit of stipulation to the CEO of her mortgage company and because he didn't respond within ten days, they stipulated to vacating the entire, already over, case.

It'd be funny if the sheriff wasn't refusing to evict her due to this motion that's scheduled to be presented in several months.

In other news I was telling a friend about a crazed defendant who sued my firm and filed ardc complaints against our lawyers and the judge, and a random counsel I'd never met joined in and said she'd sued him too as well as a bunch of other crazy stuff. He had no relation to the case but somehow had crossed her warpath and figured (correctly) it was the same person.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

the milk machine posted:

those posts read just like the average 0L post on toplawschools or something, just replace "biglaw" with "mass torts"

it's all expecting to be the few percent that succeed rather than the vast majority that, best case, accept the lifestyle and get by

No kidding. Let's look at what the average solo actually makes.

quote:

Since the 1960s the IRS has collected and published income levels for all American lawyers filing as solo practitioners. In 1988, solo practitioners earned an inflation-adjusted $70,747. By 2012, earnings had fallen to $49,130, a 30% decrease in real income. And note, $49,130 is not the starting salary for these lawyers. It is the average earnings of all 354,000 lawyers who filed as solo practitioners that year.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/opinions/barton-rise-and-fall-of-lawyers/

Plaintiff side consumer law attorneys do good work but I wouldn't hold up the top 1% as representative of anything. The idea that if you hang out your shingle and wait long enough you'll be saved by Class Action Jesus is laughable for most solos.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

CaptainScraps posted:

Look. I'm in year 4 of hanging out a shingle. I don't struggle to pay my loans. I can take vacations. I'm trying to buy a house.

And the only reason I can is because I had significant advantages in terms of support networks that most law students don't. Most of the law students I know who tried what I did failed.

Except for Roger, because he's wonderful.

Come be my neighbor in Carrollton.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only correct answer is to take out maximum public debt then ibr/paye it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Andy Dufresne posted:

Come be my neighbor in Carrollton.

Who are you? A df-dub goon lawyer I don't know?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

One day I'll meet the Dallas folks when I'm there on business.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Roger_Mudd posted:

Who are you? A df-dub goon lawyer I don't know?

Not a lawyer, I just read all of your bitching and I'm friends with scraps. We're going to blind butcher on the 12th if you check the goon meets.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

The only correct answer is to take out maximum public debt then ibr/paye it.

Will let you know how viable this is in appx 3 years.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

SlothBear posted:

Will let you know how viable this is in appx 3 years.

I just assume it'll get taken away and I'll have to pay about 15% of my income each month to the government forever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey how come traffic to work is so light today? Guys? Hello?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

What up, Posting from office.:hfive:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mastershakeman posted:

Dunno. I'm in pajamas drinking wine.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Dunno. I'm in pajamas drinking wine.

Its 10:30 in the morning. Living the dream.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've already taken the kid swimming (and watched him poo poo in the pool). Swim diapers are not effective.

Wife had to work though, sucks for her.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Spending the morning with five cops kicking in a barricaded door and arguing about paperwork for hours when 3 (edit:5) sovcits- happy federal holiday

I pointed out my flag tie and just now another sovcit showed me an official sovcit id this is amazing

Lol just got patted down as a joke after a sovcit asked for my identity. Then got yelled at by a sovvie for refusing to take a phone call from an "international lawyer" who wanted to put me on notice I was violating her human rights. The cops then told me to watch out for a line of blue helmets when I come back in two weeks to finalize all this

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 3, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've already taken the kid swimming (and watched him poo poo in the pool). Swim diapers are not effective.

Wife had to work though, sucks for her.

Do you use disposable or reusable? The reusable ones off of amazon have shielded some pretty epic deuces from my kid. Just do yourself a favor and take them off in the pool shower. Save yourself a lot of gross.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Spending the morning with five cops kicking in a barricaded door and arguing about paperwork for hours when 3 sovcits- happy federal holiday

I pointed out my flag tie and just now another sovcit showed me an official sovcit id this is amazing

Lol just got patted down as a joke after a sovcit asked for my identity

Go to law school! Ask HR for a job, he's in Chicago right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm working today because Kommiefornia hates 'murica.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

What up, Posting from office.:hfive:

Highfive

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I just assume it'll get taken away and I'll have to pay about 15% of my income each month to the government forever.

Same.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really, really wish courts would hold self reps to a higher standard. gently caress me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Not at the office today.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

I really, really wish courts would hold self reps to a higher standard. gently caress me.

I've got a fantastically short brief on, "Dear Court, Sucks for Pro Se's, but they get held to the same standard as anyone else." I get to break it out once a year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I've got a fantastically short brief on, "Dear Court, Sucks for Pro Se's, but they get held to the same standard as anyone else." I get to break it out once a year.

Hmm yes, quite so counselor. You're correct on the law as usual. However, I'll let Mr. JAMES-Smith:: continue, you can appeal me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Go to law school! Ask HR for a job, he's in Chicago right?

I should've asked the cops for a job. One told me he can do whatever he wants because he's royalty right before smashing the door in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
its 5:02pm and Im still at work, go to law school you stupid shits.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

its 5:02pm and Im still at work, go to law school you stupid shits.

Otoh my commute was a mere hour home, huzzah for working on federal holidays

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Otoh my commute was a mere hour home, huzzah for working on federal holidays

Mine will be shorter than that, when I leave here around 6:30pm.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Huh, I ate pizza on a patio at 4pm. Of course, I could only afford one slice.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Icelandic names are as hot as their chicks

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
She looks about half the weight I would assume of a self identified Elf Sex Expert.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Huh, I ate pizza on a patio at 4pm. Of course, I could only afford one slice.

You need a better union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ActusRhesus posted:

You need a better union.

Don't worry, after the SCOTUS is done bankrupting public unions you'll lose yours and then everyone will get hosed together.