Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Icelandic names are as hot as their chicks

What an odd positioning statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm not sure what I was trying to say.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
that you'd like to Ingrrsnnradd her Voehlesggsvannn?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

blarzgh posted:

that you'd like to Ingrrsnnradd her Voehlesggsvannn?

No spoilers, I'm still in the Hinterlands.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

joat mon posted:

Not at the office today.

Did you get up to 88 miles per hour?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The Warszawa posted:

No spoilers, I'm still in the Hinterlands.

scrub.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We don't have a union.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

That was a joke.

I'm actually still outside of Lothering. :unsmigghh:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

We don't have a union.

scrub

The Warszawa posted:

That was a joke.

I'm actually still outside of Lothering. :unsmigghh:

that's just loving sad.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wubalubadubdub

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm in Novigrad, just killed the cockatrice and found Triss Merigold.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Lol at my clients calling me on the 4th of July. Yeah ok, I'll get right on that for you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

Lol at my clients calling me on the 4th of July. Yeah ok, I'll get right on that for you.

Lol at people having to deal with clients.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Ha-ha they have your cell phone

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm in Novigrad, just killed the cockatrice and found Triss Merigold.

Hump her and be like, "Sorry Yen, I totally lost my memory, again."

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

CaptainScraps posted:

Ha-ha they have your cell phone

This morning I broke a rule and answered a cell phone call on my day off, from an unknown caller. A "friend" of mine had given my number to a female bartender who was tearfully asking for divorce advice at his suggestion. And I don't even do family law.

Rookie move.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Throatwarbler posted:

Everything I know about it I learned from the Somethingawful comedy forums, it seems like most people can get in with high 160s. I'm going to need considerably more than that I imagine.

I'm way late on this but have you actually applied anywhere yet? A 170 should be enough to get you into most Canadian schools. Hell, some people in my class got in with sub-155s.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got into U of S law school with a 160 and a couple of my law school buddies got similar scores.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bub spank posted:

I'm way late on this but have you actually applied anywhere yet? A 170 should be enough to get you into most Canadian schools. Hell, some people in my class got in with sub-155s.

I haven't applied anywhere yet but I want to go to University of Victoria. I'll start applying now.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Don't go to law school.

Seems the thread is a little late to the table on this one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I haven't applied anywhere yet but I want to go to University of Victoria. I'll start applying now.

I really hope you don't plan on practising in B.C. as the market is over saturated. Also

ActusRhesus posted:

Don't go to law school.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How else are you going to pay for a million dollar microcondo in Vancouver besides law?

In other news I got told not to use initiative anymore (well, that's how I took it)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mastershakeman posted:

How else are you going to pay for a million dollar microcondo in Vancouver besides law?

In other news I got told not to use initiative anymore (well, that's how I took it)

The military phrase is, "Good initiative, bad judgment."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joat mon posted:

The military phrase is, "Good initiative, bad judgment."

Nah I'll just sit around like a lump avoiding responsibility, this is better.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Go to law school, get bombs sent to your practice.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33414260

Article posted:

Police in Canada have charged a man for sending explosive devices to several businesses in the city of Winnipeg and warned that more could be discovered.
Guido Amsel, 49, targeted law firms that represented him or his ex-wife in a lengthy legal battle, police said.
One bomb exploded at an office last Friday, severely injuring a woman.
Two more explosive devices were found at law firms over the weekend in the city, but they were detonated by police, and no one was injured.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

mastershakeman posted:

Nah I'll just sit around like a lump avoiding responsibility, this is better.

please don't rip off my career development plan :mad:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Eminent Domain posted:

Go to law school, get bombs sent to your practice.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33414260

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/guido-amsel-charged-in-connection-to-winnipeg-law-firm-bombing-1.3139172

It says she lost her hand :(

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I feel very sorry for this poor woman.

With the number of psychos public defenders and people who deal with family law come into contact with on a daily basis I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

I have a full long term disability policy (until 65) and loss of a hand counts as totally disabled.

I should be so lucky.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey thread, I have reconsidered taking "how to hang out a shingle" advice from individuals on an internet comedy forum, even though my old firm pulled my post-clerkship offer, because I managed to land a gig at a national firm with a local branch. So on the one hand I'll be able to afford rent. On the other hand, it won't matter because I'll probably never see my apartment during the day?

(But seriously, thanks for the advice and support a few weeks back. Also I am glad that I can resume my computer RPG adventures with less guilt now. Even if I am playing Pillars of Eternity instead of finishing DA:I. I got out of the Hinterlands but just kinda stopped caring after stabbing some dragons...)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You weren't actually contemplating hanging a shingle with a federal clerkship under your belt were you? I mean, some boutique would have snapped you up surely.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I turned down a bankruptcy court clerkship in West Palm that I would have gotten through nepotism, partially because I wasn't that interested in bankruptcy, partially because I was engaged and we didn't think that my then-fiancee-now-wife could find work there. I think I made the right choice.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You weren't actually contemplating hanging a shingle with a federal clerkship under your belt were you? I mean, some boutique would have snapped you up surely.

And yet none of them interviewed me!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

And yet none of them interviewed me!

gently caress them, their loss!

Good luck, and don't worry about seeing your apartment - I'm working right now at home because the dry cleaner closed at 7 so I had to leave the office anyways!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

SlothBear posted:

I feel very sorry for this poor woman.

With the number of psychos public defenders and people who deal with family law come into contact with on a daily basis I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/guido-amsel-went-through-bitter-lengthy-divorce-court-records-show-1.3140437

Lots of comments about him being a victim :downs:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 7, 2015

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Triss is the one true romance, and her prophet is Dandelion.

Also hello thread

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

terrorist ambulance posted:

The good jobs in BC get anywhere from a couple dozen to literally hundreds of applicants, most of which are pretty good. If you want to work in a remote post to develop some experience, it MAY not be too bad, but if you think you're going to get a job in Vancouver or Victoria that anyone would want to work, be prepared to figuratively (and maybe literally) cut a throat for it. There's literally a hundred different easier paths to that purpose.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Not really. New schools are opening up and there's less jobs than ever.

If you can get over 170 on a live LSAT, you'll probably get into UVic regardless of your GPA (although they do weigh GPA heavily), but your description of your life experience and drive ("eh, haven't really had a job in 5 years, no big") basically means that, even assuming you get in, even assuming you do well in your classes and get a solid GPA, you're precluded from getting decent summering / articling experience, which then precludes you from getting any job worth working. Again, you're competing for positions against very driven, capable people, and your description of yourself is basically like "well, why not do law? I'm kinda bored."

If you do decide to go, do coop and do the Law Centre, there's literally no better training that you could get for actual practice than the combination of those two

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yes, obviously, you can tell by how pale his skin is.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone else think Michael Douglas was the hero in Falling Down? - CBC commenter, shortly before/after shovelling paint chips into slack cavernous yap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I did read your posts, and I appreciate your insights. Is University of Calgary perhaps easier to get in? I am from Calgary and did my undergrad at UoC, but I really do like Victoria.