Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What kind of pleading is this anyway? False Claims? Civil RICO? Yeah, don't submit that. The major redactions necessary would make it useless as a writing sample and you risk sanctions or pissing off the judge that sealed it.

You don't have a brief or an opinion letter you can use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

is it 2002?

I do do carpentry in rugby shorts and a tank top, so maybe

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

5 rep 300# back squat today, 'sup
Like every fat guy who has ever started living can do this within a week or two FYI

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

Like every fat guy who has ever started living can do this within a week or two FYI

followed by 60 95# bulgarian split squats, 60 115# romanian deadlifts, 60 30kg kb swings, 800m run

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

followed by 60 95# bulgarian split squats, 60 115# romanian deadlifts, 60 30kg kb swings, 800m run

yeah bruh then I slept like 30 minutes in my bar admission because I'm smart AND strong!! #flex #healthy #strong #fast #smart #cringe #liftweights #crossfit #dickinassandmouth #whocares #humblebrag #patheticachievements

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
kb swings jesus christ. do you have special yoga pants for that

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You got dong issues bro?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I never pictured eastern Europe as a hotbed of crossfit.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

What kind of pleading is this anyway? False Claims? Civil RICO? Yeah, don't submit that. The major redactions necessary would make it useless as a writing sample and you risk sanctions or pissing off the judge that sealed it.

You don't have a brief or an opinion letter you can use?

PI. And no, not really. The other suits I've filed have been produced with other, more senior, attorneys. The rest of my writing tends to be really short/simple stuff.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
sov cit getting arrested. <3

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=add_1438121829

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nm posted:

You got dong issues bro?

I wish

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I can't stop myself from reading "sov cit" as an abbreviation for "Soviet citizen."

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I love how she talks about how she doesn't have to follow the laws, but as soon as he throws the cuffs on her she's going to sue him

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

jesus christ I can smell the axe body spray from here.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActusRhesus posted:

jesus christ I can smell the axe body spray from here.

hahaha i work from home so I go to the gym at 9 and sometimes don't shower until like 5 because I've Gotta Post

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thats wonderful.

I love how Act 3 culminates in her being dragged off, and the camera left recording the ground, undisturbed, like a found-footage movie.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

i bet her shirt had a gold fringe

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm reading cited cases from OC's proposed jury charges right now. At 9:00pm on a Saturday night.

Go to law school.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

"Cop illegally arrests girl and cuts her purse off of her." Hahahaha.

The comments are equally tragic. They are all sure she is a liberal. Oh people, so amusing from a distance.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I love how she talks about how she doesn't have to follow the laws, but as soon as he throws the cuffs on her she's going to sue him

She's going to use the real, legitimate court on her militia compound, presumably.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

It is kinda interesting because there are a whole bunch of sov cits who believe the sheriff is the only real legitimate law enforcement. CHP and police they'll run their mouths on and on. Sheriff shows up and "yes sir!" I think they watched too much old english poo poo with the sheriff of whatever the gently caress shire.

Also he created joiner of her face and the ground.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I think my favorite part is when he is going to take the purse off and she says he can handcuff her with it on. So he does and then he cuts the purse off.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I love the fact that people record this stuff, it's so great. And I really love it when the cops engage with them, though it's just as funny as when they don't engage and just bust out the taser.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love the fact that people record this stuff, it's so great. And I really love it when the cops engage with them, though it's just as funny as when they don't engage and just bust out the taser.

P. Barnes had been putting up with that guys bullshit all morning from the loving metal detector on. They had to clear out the courtroom because this jackass in bluejeans and vibrams refused to turn off his camera and to stop filming other people's traffic court poo poo. P. Barnes had an incredible amount of patience.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
P. Barnes is truly my hero

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I am opposed to police excessive force, except against sov cits (though this wasn't excessive force).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The secret that most people in favour of body cameras don't realize - in like 95%+ of cases, they'll show both:

a) that the cops haven't done anything wrong
b) that the accused is guilty as gently caress and an rear end in a top hat too

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A world in which all cops wear body cameras is a world where resist arrest / assault peace officer trials are literally just the prosecutor turning on the video and sitting back while an hour of "ARE YOU DETAINING ME? AM I DETAINED? I'M NOT loving DRUNK I'M GOING TO loving KILL YOU WHEN I GET OUT WHY AM I ARRESTED WHY ARE YOU PEPPER SPRAYING ME gently caress YOU I'VE ONLY HAD TWO YOU CAN'T ARREST ME I HAVE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS" plays

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

The secret that most people in favour of body cameras don't realize - in like 95%+ of cases, they'll show both:

Yes but the good cops aren't the ones who need protecting you see.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The secret that most cops against body cameras don't realize - in like 95%+ of cases, they'll show both:

FTFY.
As a PD, I would have loving loved everyone to have a camera. When there was video, guilty or innocent, we generally knew. Show a bad video to a client, plea. Show a good video to the DA, dismiss. Especially on the bullshit misdemeanor and light felony calendars, the case loads would loving plummet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Might be useful in those other 5% of the time, especially if the police bring down the blue curtain on finding out what actually happened.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

My only concern with body cams is the chilling effect it would have on witnesses. I do mostly gang related and we have a hard enough time getting statements from people we promise not to identify by name in the report and because snitches get stitches is actually a thing here if you don't get the statement at the scene you aren't getting it. But I think that's easily solved by "patrol and first responders use cams, detectives don't."

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

A world in which all cops wear body cameras is a world where resist arrest / assault peace officer trials are literally just the prosecutor turning on the video and sitting back while an hour of "ARE YOU DETAINING ME? AM I DETAINED? I'M NOT loving DRUNK I'M GOING TO loving KILL YOU WHEN I GET OUT WHY AM I ARRESTED WHY ARE YOU PEPPER SPRAYING ME gently caress YOU I'VE ONLY HAD TWO YOU CAN'T ARREST ME I HAVE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS" plays

I had an impaired driving trial where the RCMP cruiser dashcam captured the entire interaction (including the audio) between the officer and the accused.

It was extremely simple, going from: traffic stop > reasonable suspicion from odour of alcohol on his breath (captured on camera when the officer makes the initial remark about smelling it) > ASD demand > ASD fail > breathalyser > over 0.08 result

Instead of starting off by putting the video in through the officer on the voir dire to establish reasonable suspicion the Crown had the officer testify without it. After the officer screwed up his testimony they tried to play the video. Trial Judge found there was no reasonable suspicion and excluded the evidence :smug:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Stories like this are why in the cop thread I was always willing to believe a prosecutor was inept rather than corrupt. There are some really dumb prosecutors out there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man I wish the Daley center had working air conditioning. It's only 73 in Chicago but gently caress this is sweltering

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Impaireds are clowny

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ActusRhesus posted:

Stories like this are why in the cop thread I was always willing to believe a prosecutor was inept rather than corrupt. There are some really dumb prosecutors out there.
I'd agree that screw ups are more likely due to the prosecutor being inept/lazy vs corrupt.

I had another case where the client was charged with breaching multiple conditions of his recognizance (contact & curfew breach). Prior to the trial the Crown asked if I would agree to an officer's notes/narrative going in because the officer wasn't available to testify on the date set for the trial. The officer's evidence was that they took a statement from the complainant (who was also under subpoena), and received a report from another unit who did a curfew check. I suspected that the Crown didn't realize it was a different set of officers who did the curfew check, so rather than fighting about an adjournment I agreed to the notes/narrative going in minus the hearsay. Day of trial and the complainant doesn't show up (as was expected since she didn't show up for the earlier assault trials). The Crown didn't subpoena the officers that actually did the curfew check and proceeded by tendering the absent officer's evidence despite my gentle suggestion that they stay the charge. Needless to say I was ok with billing Legal Aid for a 10 minute "trial" instead of a stay of proceedings.

Impaireds are clowny
Former defence lawyer, now Judge, gave a talk a while back about how he would advise clients to put in slam dunk impaired driving cases because "who knows what might loving happen".

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I'd agree that screw ups are more likely due to the prosecutor being inept/lazy vs corrupt.

I had another case where the client was charged with breaching multiple conditions of his recognizance (contact & curfew breach). Prior to the trial the Crown asked if I would agree to an officer's notes/narrative going in because the officer wasn't available to testify on the date set for the trial. The officer's evidence was that they took a statement from the complainant (who was also under subpoena), and received a report from another unit who did a curfew check. I suspected that the Crown didn't realize it was a different set of officers who did the curfew check, so rather than fighting about an adjournment I agreed to the notes/narrative going in minus the hearsay. Day of trial and the complainant doesn't show up (as was expected since she didn't show up for the earlier assault trials). The Crown didn't subpoena the officers that actually did the curfew check and proceeded by tendering the absent officer's evidence despite my gentle suggestion that they stay the charge. Needless to say I was ok with billing Legal Aid for a 10 minute "trial" instead of a stay of proceedings.

That's just a complete comedy of errors. If you, as a Crown, can't successfully prosecute _curfew_ breaches I think the problem is not with the system.

Impaireds however are finicky as hell. It is a very sensible and valid defence strategy to take them all to trial just to see what falls apart.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
More like the Crown had 6 trials scheduled that day and didn't bother looking at the curfew breach that hard because there's a 99% chance it'll get plead out on the day of anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 11, 2021