Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason I use Google patents over EAST is for searchable PDFs of parents so I can find column-line of a passage I found in EAST which is much better for searching

EAST gives me the paragraph number which is fine for applications, but not so much for patents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
By the end of the FY, I will have worked t every possible hour of OT that I can but for six hours back in December for some reason I don't remember, plus the 16 I lost when they backed down from 32 to 24 during the last shutdown

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I don't love my job, but the hours are relaxed and the work is tolerable. I also make significantly more than $100k. I agree that law school is/was the wrong choice for most people.....including me. But, the process is abusive enough already without making GBS threads on people who could use some advice.

What area are you in that the hours are relaxed?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

How'd the closing go? Will justice prevail?

Justice Prevailed by about 75%, thanks!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

terrorist ambulance posted:

tell me more boring stories about your stupid unenviable life. I really enjoyed the feeling of wasting a couple seconds reading the inner monologue of a literal human honeybee and would like to recreate it as often as possible

Sorry Terrorist, I generally ignore the posts of people I don't recognize and I forget people like you are in here. Whenever I post, unless I'm directly responding to something you said, it's safe to assume I'm talking to other people and just skip it.

That pretty much goes for everyone that doesn't know me IRL except for SV and AR.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

tell me more boring stories about your stupid unenviable life. I really enjoyed the feeling of wasting a couple seconds reading the inner monologue of a literal human honeybee and would like to recreate it as often as possible

I think you're just stressed.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

Sorry Terrorist, I generally ignore the posts of people I don't recognize and I forget people like you are in here. Whenever I post, unless I'm directly responding to something you said, it's safe to assume I'm talking to other people and just skip it.

That pretty much goes for everyone that doesn't know me IRL except for SV and AR.

are you gathering honey this weekend

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

Is this still where people go to die alone??

Now it's where people go to discuss their imminent D&D-related probation.

Welcome back.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Speaking of D&D one of my friends wants to design a role playing game. I am going to suggest "Law Student: The Breaking"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Speaking of D&D one of my friends wants to design a role playing game. I am going to suggest "Law Student: The Breaking"

Could be fun. Let's see, draw a classroom events card. You drew "called on by professor"! Roll 1d6 to see how well you prepared. Oh no! You rolled a 1 and were kicked out of class! Advance the alcoholism track by 1.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

It would just be like Calvinball, bickering about our own interpretation of tiny little rules. The game would never get started because we couldn't decide which dice rule 24.2 referred to when it says willpower is a measurement of the greatest even number rolled.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What about a Family Feud style game show: Think! Like a Lawyer ?

"We polled 500 3rd year associates. What is their favorite hobby to do after work? Top 5 answers on the board..."

"You said, 'Play with their kids!' Show me! *bzzt*"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 11, 2021

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

yronic heroism posted:

I think this has potential as a LARP at conventions, as it’s really just continuing the con-going tradition of trying to find the least awful person there and gently caress them.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

yronic heroism posted:

Would this be our mutual friend? If so he's joining my DnD group.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Would this be our mutual friend? If so he's joining my DnD group.

No, the guy I'm talking about isn't even a lawyer so he just wants to do a dystopia game. I said I know a good dystopia but he didn't get it.

On the one hand I think "classes" of law students exist: pandas, underachievers, gunners, That Guy. Otoh I think point buy systems can really capture the balance of being very successful going with being a massive tool.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I like it. But you left out "dynasty brats" most overpowered class in the game.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

Badly is the only way DAs research con law anyhow.

Edit: lawl

You're not wrong. I'm one of the few in my office who actually bothers to cite cases. And only because I'm a trial/appellate hybrid.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

No, the guy I'm talking about isn't even a lawyer so he just wants to do a dystopia game. I said I know a good dystopia but he didn't get it.

On the one hand I think "classes" of law students exist: pandas, underachievers, gunners, That Guy. Otoh I think point buy systems can really capture the balance of being very successful going with being a massive tool.

What the gently caress is a panda

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

disjoe posted:

What the gently caress is a panda

It is a type of marsupial related to the racoon that lives in China. Also in zoos.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Someone in my class spent their 1L summer as a door-to-door knife salesperson for a MLM scheme

Go to law school?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

WaveLength posted:

Someone in my class spent their 1L summer as a door-to-door knife salesperson for a MLM scheme

Go to law school?

I spent my 1L year working as a proofreader for an MLM's corporate headquarters.

I like to think I wasn't part of the evil...I just made sure the evil was gramatically correct.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ActusRhesus posted:

I spent my 1L year working as a proofreader for an MLM's corporate headquarters.

I like to think I wasn't part of the evil...I just made sure the evil was gramatically correct.

The trains ran on time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

The trains ran on time.

Occasionally full of undesirables on the way to the ovens, but hell, that's none of my business.

quote:

I'll make this game. Manage stress against loans. Will you go out to eat, or avoid a few thousand in loans? Oh no, you just blanked on your modified OCI roll: take two stress, but uh oh, looks like you're approaching the stress ceiling. Game would go in nine rounds: one per semester plus 1L summer, 2L summer, and bar prep. Winner gets the best outcome in terms of job quality minus loan totals. How far are you willing to push your stress levels?

Choose your character: splitter, gunner, URM, law nerd, charisma king, The Hot One, Married With Kids, Corporate Guy, etc.

Look out, if you bust your stress ceiling, the results are dire. Maybe you'll pick up the alcoholism trait, a Bad Breakup, or another physchological defect! Beware, after three stress breaks, you risk suicide!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 1, 2015

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Property law is the most boring subject I've ever read, but contracts is pretty neat. This doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Also, some legal fraternity came around soliciting people to join. Seems kind of like a waste of time but members get the previous year's outline for each class from the top student so I guess that kind of seems worth it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Property law is the most boring subject I've ever read

You are so wrong.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

You are so wrong.

Property disputes are second only to employment law for insane litigants.

Well, family law is the worst I guess.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Family law is second only to the hells of worker's compensation law and landlord tenant law.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Cook county just instituted a procedure to freeze title any time plaintiffs in foreclosure cases want, because someone in the legislature finally got sick of sovereign citizens filing too much zany poo poo. Too bad it isn't automatic but it's a step.

Family law seems worse than landlord tenant, with the exception of when I see cases where a parent hires a lawyer to evict the adult child and the judge just shakes his head and is like man this is not going to settle

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This. My felony defendants are more rational than most family litigants.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is true.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

This. My felony defendants are more rational than most family litigants.

The only physical fights we ever get in the courthouse is either family law parties or . . . Their loving lawyers.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Green Crayons posted:

Are you out of the profession for good, or what? If I recall correctly, you left us hanging with you hating your tears/yelling/80hr-week NYC job.

Yepp, though it was Philly. I happened to go on a date with a law school student the other night and it was terrible but brought back fond memories of the thread so I thought I'd say hi.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Also, some legal fraternity came around soliciting people to join. Seems kind of like a waste of time but members get the previous year's outline for each class from the top student so I guess that kind of seems worth it.

Depends. How smart are the people in this fraternity?

Really, getting a good outline can make a huge difference--but you can just ask people for theirs if you hang out around your upperclassmen a lot. I think the best outline I ever got was from a friend in theater club.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

Property law is the most boring subject I've ever read, but contracts is pretty neat. This doesn't seem to make sense to me.

you are probably out of practice when it comes to drinking, an important legal skill, which they can probably help you with

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Bro Enlai posted:

Depends. How smart are the people in this fraternity?

Really, getting a good outline can make a huge difference--but you can just ask people for theirs if you hang out around your upperclassmen a lot. I think the best outline I ever got was from a friend in theater club.

No idea how smart but they were the top grade in the course last year.

I'm also the first one to submit a revised memo. Day and a half early. :toot:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm also the first one to submit a revised memo. Day and a half early. :toot:

You are going to run into the brick wall harder than most. The goal in law is to turn your memo the night it is due at 11:59:59 p.m.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Toona I know you can do it. I'm rooting for you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

You are going to run into the brick wall harder than most. The goal in law is to turn your memo the night it is due at 11:59:59 p.m.

I had to apologize to a cop once after he threatened to smash my face in, solely because I had less than a minute to run in to class and drop off a paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

I had to apologize to a cop once after he threatened to smash my face in, solely because I had less than a minute to run in to class and drop off a paper

Thinking like lawyer!