Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's conversation with a client:

(Client's husband has not paid what he is supposed to pay)

"I can't understand why he's being this difficult."
"Because he's an rear end in a top hat. Happens all the time."
"You know, we have a name for that in the dental industry. We call them PITAs. It stands for pains in the rear end."
"Lawyers have a name for them too. We call them clients."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's conversation with a client:

(Client's husband has not paid what he is supposed to pay)

"I can't understand why he's being this difficult."
"Because he's an rear end in a top hat. Happens all the time."
"You know, we have a name for that in the dental industry. We call them PITAs. It stands for pains in the rear end."
"Lawyers have a name for them too. We call them clients."

She then fired you and filed a bar complaint.

A friend of mine got a private reprimand from the bar for calling OC a pussy when he asked for a continuance. As in "you're scared to try this case ya pussy?"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

She then fired you and filed a bar complaint.

A friend of mine got a private reprimand from the bar for calling OC a pussy when he asked for a continuance. As in "you're scared to try this case ya pussy?"

lol. seriously? Someone filed a complaint for that? what a pussy.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Only two midterms, CivPro which is open book and open notes (seriously, I'm down for sending an edible arrangement to the guy who suggested OneNote), and Property which is closed book and notes but only two questions on one fact pattern. Could be worse.

I only accept bottles of scotch as thank you gifts from the legal world.

I consider it acceptable for you to forgo the gift until you make Top 10%.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

lol. seriously? Someone filed a complaint for that? what a pussy.

I got called a motherfucker (and not in a friendly way) by an attorney. He then punched the wall a few times and screamed.

I didn't file a bar complaint even after the behavior repeated itself. So I have proven I am not a puss

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 13, 2015

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I billed 130 hours in the past two weeks. That was hard. I don't understand how people can bill 2,500 in a year and speak in complete sentences.

Also, I had a pro bono case wrap up. I now have way more respect for plaintiff's lawyers and never ever want to be one.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Discendo Vox posted:

I need some help. I'm teaching a course in legal rhetoric, and I want my students to have an online discussion about a court decision (or an excerpt from one) that is short, interesting, and either very rhetorically good, or rhetorically godawful at making its argument. I'll have them figure out what worked or didn't work about how the judge argued the decision, and suggest ways to improve it.

It doesn't have to be SCOTUS-heck, the main course materials(which I can't change) have way too much Supreme Court, so something lower would be a good change of pace. This is your chance to shape the minds of future lawyers debate coaches and paralegals!

(no, I'm not going to use the CNMI rape case- I'd get too many complaints. But if we're shooting for bad rhetoric, that's in the right ballpark of terrible.)

I think the briefs for/against Elonis -- as well as the oral arguments and decision -- are a really, really good example of head-numbing arguments (in the briefs) that are then resolved through some fairly clever moving of the goalposts (in the decision).

I wrote an issue brief for it in Taking Sides (pm me if you want a preview), although that was before the decision came out. But it's a really good decision for Roberts being sneaky sneaky.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So I've just been put in charge of all post judgment remedies for my gigantic government client. It's like the legal advice thread come to life: I get to evaluate the collectability of judgments, and then try to collect via garnishment, foreclosure, or...murder?

Karma. Fml.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 13, 2021

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Look, people, I assign these things so my students have to read them, not so I have to read them. You think I care about all this legal....law...poo poo?

(I am on 5ish flu meds, my apologies for missing the cite)

Have them read the briefs in support of the interesting cases before the actual opinions. The briefs are usually on Westlaw for COA or higher opinions and maybe they're on Google Scholar. Assign half the class to the winning side and half to the losing side without saying which side won. You usually get two totally different ideas of what the case is about if they just read one brief. Hell that's half the training in legal writing 101 is getting the reader to frame the question in the way you need him to frame it. It'll be a fun exercise!

Whenever I find a case that matches whatever point of law I'm trying to get the judge to pay half attention to goddamnit, I will usually just find the brief in support of the side the won that particular opinion, then I'll just copy-paste what I need and throw in a few cites to the opinion.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Cubs in playoffs = everyone's legal needs are on hold while I think about the glory.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

Cubs in playoffs = everyone's legal needs are on hold while I think about the glory.

My coworker got tickets to last night and today at face value from a friend who wasnt interested in going and Im very jealous (I would sell them)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

So I've just been put in charge of all post judgment remedies for my gigantic government client. It's like the legal advice thread come to life: I get to evaluate the collectability of judgments, and then try to collect via garnishment, foreclosure, or...murder?

Karma. Fml.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The midterm was insanely easy. One fact pattern with questions on finders and rule of capture. Too bad it's only worth 20% of the final grade. :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

The midterm was insanely easy. One fact pattern with questions on finders and rule of capture. Too bad it's only worth 20% of the final grade. :(

Do you realize you're on a curve?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Toona the Cat posted:

You got a B-.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Yes, and I can live with that. I only need to remain in good academic standing (defined as a 2.0) to keep my scholarship.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ahhhahhahhahh

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Toona the Cat posted:

Did you use the right font and margin setting?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It was a handwritten exam.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

It was a handwritten exam.

Did you still observe proper margins?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Yes, and I can live with that. I only need to remain in good academic standing (defined as a 2.0) to keep my scholarship.

With that kind of attitude, you'll be lucky to practice family law.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Someone was named as a 2016 Rising Star by Super Lawyers. That someone was me.

I used to think that it was just a meaningless popularity contest designed to get advertising dollars but now I'm convinced of it's merit.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I used to think that it was just a meaningless popularity contest designed to get advertising dollars but now I'm convinced of it's merit.

You can suck my rear end. I haven't seen you in court in weeks.

I want to get that rising star garbage so I can jack up my rates.

Edit: Bitch you weren't even selected for family, it was for PI where it don't mean jack.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 13, 2015

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

Twenty years from now you will be looking at this moment as the peak happiness of your sad, miserable life. "Dorothy, my star was rising! I was headed for the big time, Dorothy! Where did it all go wrong, with the orangutan prostitutes and chain of Dollar Grocery stores and being married to a wench named Dorothy?"

That's where we are all headed, I just assume you are as well.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

I did too, so there goes your theory.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Edit: Bitch you weren't even selected for family, it was for PI where it don't mean jack.

Don't be jelly. Your the rising star of my heart.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

You missed the part of the fact pattern asking about rule of perpetuities. You thought one of the items was fee simple, but it was actually fee simple subject to executory interest.

Also you wrote your exam in a way that just irked the professor. He can't explain it, it just felt unprofessional.

Slightly below median, good luck making journal, you're going to starve in a hovel.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

disjoe posted:

You missed the part of the fact pattern asking about rule of perpetuities. You thought one of the items was fee simple, but it was actually fee simple subject to executory interest.

Also you wrote your exam in a way that just irked the professor. He can't explain it, it just felt unprofessional.

Slightly below median, good luck making journal, you're going to starve in a hovel.

I never figured out I was supposed to mage arguments in my law exams.

errad
May 31, 2013

Omerta posted:

I billed 130 hours in the past two weeks. That was hard. I don't understand how people can bill 2,500 in a year and speak in complete sentences.

Also, I had a pro bono case wrap up. I now have way more respect for plaintiff's lawyers and never ever want to be one.

My wife hit 305 hours in September. I can't imagine how she'd be without at least a moderately ok life partner (me).

The tip is this, if you're going to be a big baller big biller, get yourself someone to bring the bacon home to that will have the time to cook it for you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm not sure if you've had curved tests before but "insanely easy" is not a good thing for your grade. You want a hard test you did well on so you know you're above the curve. If it was that easy, you are probably smack in the middle of the curve and will discover you missed one issue that, because everyone spotted 29 except some people spotted 30, is the difference between an A and a C.

errad
May 31, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm confused - did you go to law school in order to obtain a career that you want? Or did you go to law school just to graduate law school?

insert link to OP here

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omerta posted:

I hit 300 hours in a February once and I just hated life: weekends were reviewing documents all day, just on the couch instead of the office. Then I did it again in April. Only reason I didn't quit was knowing the discovery deadline was coming up and wouldn't be extended so an end was in sight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

errad posted:

I'm confused - did you go to law school in order to obtain a career that you want? Or did you go to law school just to graduate law school?

insert link to OP here

I'm going to law school mainly to kill time.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Following is an ungraded problem posted in my torts class:

quote:

Catelyn shared her house with several persons, including Hodor, who had a developmental disability. She rented her garage to Joffrey, an emancipated 14-year old, for $150 per month. Catelyn believed Joffrey was to give her a stereo as part of the rent. Joffrey believed Catelyn’s intent was only to borrow it. He asked for the return of the stereo; she said she sold it. Joffrey, a man of obvious sensitivity, smashed all the windows of her automobile, slashed the tires, and dented the body. Not quite mollified, he kicked in the locked door to her house, scattered her belongings in the bedroom, and broke an aquarium, freeing her snake. Catelyn advised Hodor of Joffrey’s behavior; he apparently took umbrage.

On the fateful night in question, Joffrey, having quaffed a few, went to the garage he called home and then to bed, a mattress laid upon a lofty perch in the rafters. He was rudely awakened by a pounding on the garage door accompanied by Hodor’s request that he come out so that Hodor might kill him. Joffrey wisely advised him that they could exchange pleasantries in the morning. Undeterred, Hodor opened the garage door, entered with stick in hand, shut the door behind him, and began beating on the rafters, yelling for Joffrey to come down. In the darkness, Joffrey claimed he could see sparks where the board hit the rafters. Hodor said that if Joffrey did not come down, he would burn him out. No sooner said than done, Hodor set a small fire to some of Joffrey’s clothes. Joffrey, who happened to have secreted a bow and quiver of arrows in the rafters to prevent its theft, loosed one but did not see where it landed. Joffrey, abandoning his weapons, swung down from the rafters and was immediately hit from behind. He yelled for someone to bring a hose and attempted to extinguish the fire with his hands. Meanwhile, Hodor, in an ill humor from the gash in his back caused by the arrow, continued to beat him. Escaping from Hodor and anxious to stop his belongings from burning, Joffrey again kicked in Catelyn’s door, filled buckets with water from her sink, and doused the garage fire.

Hodor's beating caused a two-inch-wide vertical break in Joffrey’s lower jaw, tore his lips, knocked out six to ten teeth, mangled two fingers, and lacerated his arm, stomach and back. Joffrey also suffered burns on the palms of his hands. Catelyn, who had previously seen her husband murdered when her home was ransacked and robbed, began suffering flashbacks. She had to renew her lapsed anxiety medication prescription and start seeing her therapist again.

Analyze the potential tort liability of each party. Be sure to discuss any applicable defenses.

Am I correct that the answer is "Hodor"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Yoda posted:

Following is an ungraded problem posted in my torts class:

Am I correct that the answer is "Hodor"

Hodor.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I never figured out I was supposed to mage arguments in my law exams.

Does a Mage argument automatically hit or is it treated as a ranged attack?

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ActusRhesus posted:

Does a Mage argument automatically hit or is it treated as a ranged attack?

We enacted a statute a while back allowing the governor to declare a state of disaster in the event of a "man-mage emergency."