Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

calvus posted:

I feel like its just going to get worse as legal services takes up an increasingly smaller portion of GDP

I had to explain to an it dude yesterday that when my friend said she billed 2350 hrs it meant she worked about 3500 (70 hr weeks forever). His billing was 5 minutes work=1 billable hour and contracts would let him bill a minimum of 20 hours even if he completed it in 1.
It's only going to get worse too as clients cut more and more. Hell, even a judge was doing that in one county here- she wasn't allowing any billing for routine court status hearings. What a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Lol he was a classics major.

"There may be a due process issue here."

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

mastershakeman posted:

I had to explain to an it dude yesterday that when my friend said she billed 2350 hrs it meant she worked about 3500 (70 hr weeks forever). His billing was 5 minutes work=1 billable hour and contracts would let him bill a minimum of 20 hours even if he completed it in 1.
It's only going to get worse too as clients cut more and more. Hell, even a judge was doing that in one county here- she wasn't allowing any billing for routine court status hearings. What a joke

How? What kind of firm does he work at?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

calvus posted:

How? What kind of firm does he work at?

He does some sort of it stuff gently caress if I know. It isn't for a law firm.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

mastershakeman posted:

He does some sort of it stuff gently caress if I know. It isn't for a law firm.

I thought you only billed at a law firm

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

calvus posted:

I thought you only billed at a law firm

What? Lots of people bill for their services. Lawyers may be the most obsessive about it but other professionals have to deal with it too.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

sullat posted:

What? Lots of people bill for their services. Lawyers may be the most obsessive about it but other professionals have to deal with it too.

We were talking about legal services so what I meant was I thought only lawyers at law firms needed to bill, as opposed to working in house or for the government, not that lawyers at law firms are the only people in the universe who bill hours. I had just assumed he meant a lawyer

hunkrust fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 6, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
It is sad that the deputy attorney generals who represent other state agencies have to bill here. That's like whole point of working for govt to not have to bill.
On the other hand, they still get nights and weekends and our sweet pension.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

calvus posted:

I feel like its just going to get worse as legal services takes up an increasingly smaller portion of GDP

It's a ridiculous circle where law school costs more so lawyers bill at a higher rate so there are less people able to afford legal services so lawyers have to bill people who can pay more and so forth.

Pretty messed up that the standard advice is to just walk away from claims under $1000 because it would cost more than that to even pursue it half assedly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EwokEntourage posted:

It's a ridiculous circle where law school costs more so lawyers bill at a higher rate so there are less people able to afford legal services so lawyers have to bill people who can pay more and so forth.

Pretty messed up that the standard advice is to just walk away from claims under $1000 because it would cost more than that to even pursue it half assedly.

It doesn't help that courts have lost a ton of funding and jacked up the fees for filing cases, either. I get the issue of frivolous lawsuits but come on

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

EwokEntourage posted:

I gave good advice in this thread about how to deal with claims under $1000.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 13, 2021

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

mastershakeman posted:

It doesn't help that courts have lost a ton of funding and jacked up the fees for filing cases, either. I get the issue of frivolous lawsuits but come on

Wouldn't want those poors pursuing their rights !

quote:

I gave good advice in this thread about how to deal with claims under $1000.
Yes it's doable. But a lot of lawyers wouldn't even bother with it unless the client was willing to pay hourly to pursue it, and you run out of hours for under $1000 quickly

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

NM: I'm am AG and have to bill time. It's a legislative tracking issue. I can bill as small as 0.25, but I'm strongly encouraged by the data entry people to bill in 8 hour increments.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

NM: I'm am AG and have to bill time. It's a legislative tracking issue. I can bill as small as 0.25, but I'm strongly encouraged by the data entry people to bill in 8 hour increments.

Technically, I have to do that, but it is just like "yes, I worked 8 hours, and I spent 4 hours on x and 4 hours on y." No one really cares though.
They have to bill in 1/6 hrs, and it actually kind of matters.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just have to show up

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm also an AG and have to bill. My state doesn't have an appropriation for the AG's office, so it gets all its funding directly from the client agencies. And because my division represents many different agencies, we have to bill them by the 0.1 hour.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bro Enlai posted:

I'm also an AG and have to bill. My state doesn't have an appropriation for the AG's office, so it gets all its funding directly from the client agencies. And because my division represents many different agencies, we have to bill them by the 0.1 hour.

I'm in a specialized division that 99% of the time has only one client. So I guess that helps my billing.

The best part of working for am elected official is he can say "Ahhh we're closing early boys!"

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

mastershakeman posted:

she billed 2350 hrs it meant she worked about 3500 (70 hr weeks forever)
This seems pretty shockingly inefficient.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah! I bill 8 hours a day but only actually work about 4.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ani posted:

This seems pretty shockingly inefficient.

Isn't that standard for biglaw? 2 hours billed per 3 worked?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Entirely depends on what you're working on. If I'm working on a few smaller cases then that can happen because there's down time and dead time between when things need to get done. If I have a big case though, I'll have a bunch of long-running tasks that mean that there's no real reason to have dead time. But that sort of inefficiency is not typical and is more the worst-case scenario for when I actually have work. I mean, all that wasted time I can't bill comes directly out of my free time so I'm going to minimize it as much as possible.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think so.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

Assuming you have work to do, there's no reason to add more than 1-2 hours a day in miscellaneous items (including entering time entries) to your billed time.

Even this Yale article giving you the "truth about the billable hour" is thinking 10 hours worked to bill 7.5, and that's counting a full hour of lunch as "worked."
https://www.law.yale.edu/student-life/career-development/students/career-guides-advice/truth-about-billable-hour

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
It's standard for new associates maybe but not anyone that isn't about to be asked to leave.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

mastershakeman posted:

No. Obviously it depends on what you're doing, but unless there is some reason you need to spend large chunks of the work day in the office but doing absolutely nothing useful, you shouldn't have so much dead time. On the corporate side, if you have multiple deals running, there's probably something reasonably productive you can be doing on one of them, even if there's nothing to do on others. If there's really nothing for you to be doing, there's no reason to be in the office - go take a long lunch or go to the gym or something.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Well it looks like I believed all the biglaw folks' lies about how terrible their jobs are!

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Speaking of biglaw, do any goons have insider tips/things they wish they knew for the 1L recruitment process? Going through interviews next week and my school has some resources, but they're not especially useful. I'm in Canada if that matters.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

fineX posted:

Speaking of biglaw, do any goons have insider tips/things they wish they knew for the 1L recruitment process? Going through interviews next week and my school has some resources, but they're not especially useful. I'm in Canada if that matters.

Do you know any alums at the law firms you are interviewing at? It would be helpful to reach out and talk with them

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

lol a self rep who was an arrogant dick to me and my client because he made a bunch of money by working in the oil fields sheepishly admitted that he's unemployed. He wants to reduce his child support payments. Maybe he'll smarten up now.

I know the financial strains sucks for my province and all, but man some assholes really just deserved it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Do we have any AUSAs in the thread? How does one become an AUSA? My new dream in life is to investigate and sue the NFL.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

Do we have any AUSAs in the thread? How does one become an AUSA? My new dream in life is to investigate and sue the NFL.

No, but I know some.
Being a PD probably hurt your chances a bit, but I've still had some keep trying to have me apply to the local criminal division. (My job is less stressful and has a better pension).

Basically go to good law school. Do something well/get doj honors. Apply for job. Be good at rear end kissing in interviews. Become ausa.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

No, but I know some.
Being a PD probably hurt your chances a bit, but I've still had some keep trying to have me apply to the local criminal division. (My job is less stressful and has a better pension).

Basically go to good law school. Do something well/get doj honors. Apply for job. Be good at rear end kissing in interviews. Become ausa.

Also, do a federal district court clerkship in the district you eventually hope to work in. Intern at the same office during law school if you can swing it.

There's basically two career paths that lead to being an AUSA, which involve putting in 3-5 years as a litigator at a big law firm or as a state prosecutor and then applying to every office you can. Larger, city-based offices tend to hire more former civil litigators, and more rural offices tend to hire more former state prosecutors, but every office will have a mix of both. The pay is based primarily on how many years you've been a licensed attorney, so it actually becomes possible to become substantially less competitive for AUSA positions as you become more experienced, although that isn't something that becomes a major consideration until you hit 7+ years.

Nm, I've actually met several AUSAs who moved over from jobs as PDs or private defense attorneys. I actually spoke to one of the former today. It's certainly uncommon, but not unheard of.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

fineX posted:

Dunno about Canada in particular, but the lesson it took me longest to learn was to realize that the interviews aren't substantive. They don't want to talk about the law, or you impress them with your knowledge, or anything, since they won't trust you to know any law for a year or two. They want you to be a smart interesting person who they won't want to kill when it's 2 am and you're still in the office together. It's all about coming across as someone who works hard, takes instruction well, and won't drive them mad.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tokelau All Star posted:

The AUSAs I know are absurdly qualified. They are all former supreme court clerks. They moved over after a few years of biglaw litigation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

fineX posted:

Are you good looking?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

gvibes posted:

The AUSAs I know are absurdly qualified. They are all former supreme court clerks. They moved over after a few years of biglaw litigation.

That's not representative though.

I'd say most AUSAs I know went: good but not necessarily top 14 with good grades
--> federal clerkship --> 3-6 years at a fancy law firm --> AUSA.

My goal is to get an AUSA job. I'm still about 3 years experience short to be seriously considered.

One inside tip I've heard is to apply for any spots you meet the minimum requirements. You never know when you're going to get an interview, and almost every AUSA I know didn't get the job the first time they applied. If you have the stats, it helps to have your name in the "possibly interview" pile as often as possible and to show a longstanding interest in the job. That's what someone on the hiring committee in a fairly major district told me at least.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
There are civil assistants also if you're interested in that path. Way fewer in number and not as glamorous work, but I'd guess also easier to get in most districts (especially if you have a civil background).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I see. Career public defender it is! Not that I'm complaining, my job is awesome. I just won't be able to take down the NFL.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

EwokEntourage posted:

Are you good looking?

Honestly this. It is crazy but all the law students I see recruited for big law, be it big regional or Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary end up hiring the best looking applicants. That and there is some strange bro mentality where they only hire people really into sports like hockey. Then they end up only keeping one or two of those folks who actually have something between their ears.