Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think I want out.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I think I want out.

I'm rebuilding my practice so I don't have to do legal work. It's going to be amazing.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Vox Nihili posted:

Article even manages to include literal basement dwelling.

To be fair, it's a pretty charming 2Bd1Ba English basement apartment in an old rowhouse. My basement co-dweller is actually a goon too though (Zikan).

Thank you for the kind words, everybody!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

I think I want out.

weren't you really happy with your practice just a few weeks ago

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Military uniform with Nazi emblems.

Definitely a redditor if not a goon.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man I'm totally screwed in this fantasy football league. I didn't pay a lot of attention at the start, and now I'm realizing that with 7 bench spots I'm doooooomed since anyone with a pulse is stashed away

my hopes lie with the bears backup running back and as a bears 'fan' hoo boy i'm just as excited as jay cutler

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 28, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

mastershakeman posted:

Man I'm totally screwed in this fantasy football league. I didn't pay a lot of attention at the start, and now I'm realizing that with 7 bench spots I'm doooooomed since anyone with a pulse is stashed away

my hopes lie with the bears backup running back and as a bears 'fan' hoo boy i'm just as excited as jay cutler

Ya this season is over before it started. Also I wanted Howard so bad.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think MSM picked him up while I was trying to hit "submit." Fucker!

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Some pages ago I asked the thread about becoming a notary as a sort of interim thing towards a possible long term goal of becoming an attorney and getting my foreign lawyer credentials recognized. Someone made a joke about charging big bucks for simple things like taking an oath (i.e. likely illegal as over fixed maximum fee amounts and also few people would actually fall for it and pay these fees).

Well, I did in fact end up becoming a notary in Georgia and it was exactly as unspectacular as people described it in this thread. But I still went ahead and did and read I think most all that I would ever need to read to know about being a notary in Georgia. I haven't actually notarized anything myself yet.

Fast forward to today and I have to get something notarized and my fingerprints taken for a background check for a thing. I have my fingerprints taken and pay for that. And then the notary comes in and his demeanor is off but anyways... without any prior warning or discussion of fees... after the notarization is done he says "that will be $20" (for a simple oath taking). I say "$2 is the maximum legal amount for a notarial act in Georgia" and the guy was obviously taken aback/had a caught out look and says "I need to ask about something" and leaves the room and I am almost certain talked to his assistant or someone purely as a distraction and came back and said "there will be no fee for this since you already paid for the fingerprint service" pretending it was a management decision.

Im in the hallway on my way out, feeling frankly insulted, I google his name it turns out he is actually an Attorney and Notary and Im just like wtf, you should know better... seems like such a risk for a measly $18. Coulda told your assistant you were busy or something. Makes me wonder what else he has done since he advertises himself as specializing in apostilles and people who speak foreign languages who might not know better.

Should I follow this up with a complaint or what? (e: I think I will be) The whole thing and the guys office had a sketchy feel to it. Just glad I knew what was up.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 29, 2016

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jacobin posted:

Fast forward to today and I have to get something notarized and my fingerprints taken for a background check for a thing. I have my fingerprints taken and pay for that. And then the notary comes in and his demeanor is off but anyways... without any prior warning or discussion of fees... after the notarization is done he says "that will be $20" (for a simple oath taking). I say "$2 is the maximum legal amount for a notarial act in Georgia" and the guy was obviously taken aback/had a caught out look and says "I need to ask about something" and leaves the room and I am almost certain talked to his assistant or someone purely as a distraction and came back and said "there will be no fee for this since you already paid for the fingerprint service" pretending it was a management decision.

He was googling the law.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

He was googling the law.

Yup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jacobin posted:

Some pages ago I asked the thread about becoming a notary as a sort of interim thing towards a possible long term goal of becoming an attorney and getting my foreign lawyer credentials recognized. Someone made a joke about charging big bucks for simple things like taking an oath (i.e. likely illegal as over fixed maximum fee amounts and also few people would actually fall for it and pay these fees).

Well, I did in fact end up becoming a notary in Georgia and it was exactly as unspectacular as people described it in this thread. But I still went ahead and did and read I think most all that I would ever need to read to know about being a notary in Georgia. I haven't actually notarized anything myself yet.

Im in the hallway on my way out, feeling frankly insulted, I google his name it turns out he is actually an Attorney and Notary and Im just like wtf, you should know better... seems like such a risk for a measly $18. Coulda told your assistant you were busy or something. Makes me wonder what else he has done since he advertises himself as specializing in apostilles and people who speak foreign languages who might not know better.

Should I follow this up with a complaint or what? (e: I think I will be) The whole thing and the guys office had a sketchy feel to it. Just glad I knew what was up.

you are a nutjob

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Jacobin posted:

You could file a complaint if you really wanted, though I would personally be too lazy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the law you are referencing, without bothering to look it up, is decades old and has been forgotten by almost everyone because the only thing a notary really needs to know is to check id before notarizing, and $20 is pretty normal for notarizing and $2 is laughable

you are not striking some fierce blow against corruption, you are a twit making a fuss about people not following an obsolete law nobody remembers, you didn't pay $20, hooray why are you still complaining

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I seem to have touched a sore spot.

I wont file a complaint but his demeanour was what made me feel uncomfortable and made me consider it in the first place. Probably so loving busy I know right, he could have said that, I only asked about a notarization because I was in the same office getting a fingerprint. I was legally correct and saved myself $18 dollars so I guess thats good enough for me. If googling the law and charging more is the norm then fine, I thought the $2 limit was by design to limit notarial services to people without much ego invested in this tiny function but hey folks you got big debts to pay I guess

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 29, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
snitches get stitches

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You should have been like "Hey notarize this poo poo, I'll pay" and then after he notarized it, you say "Suck a dick" and then not pay so he feels like a real lawyer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
MSm all about that street life

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

I notarize stuff for free, don't be a chump and pay $20

I think it's funny that evil weasel seems to have such a strong opinion about this since he's a big law attorney and probably has never had to notarize something?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 13, 2021

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

evilweasel posted:

you are a nutjob

History is filled with injustices that have only been met by good people taking a stand against tyranny. Sometimes you have to face down tanks in Tienanmen Square. Sometimes you have be beaten and jailed in Birmingham. And sometimes you have to fill a Word document with the Clerk of the Superior Court of the State of Georgia to save $18 that you weren't really charged.

Only through such struggles will the injustices of today be ultimately consigned to the dustbin of history.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 29, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Dagda posted:

I notarize stuff for free, don't be a chump and pay $20

I think it's funny that evil weasel seems to have such a strong opinion about this since he's a big law attorney and probably has never had to notarize something?

my secretary notarizes things

i did discover the other day that being a lawyer makes me automatically licenced to be a real estate broker, for some reason

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
The other thing that weirded me out was being charged using Paypal to my email address that I gave on the application form as a client for the fingerprinting. Like I was sitting in the waiting room and received the notification email I was being charged via Paypal which was the first time I was told this was the method of payment. Luckily I just happened to have a smartphone and credit card to do it but I do not even know if they had a card payment platform on-site it wasn't apparent.

GamingHyena posted:

History is filled with injustices that have only been met by good people taking a stand against tyranny. Sometimes you have to face down tanks in Tienanmen Square. Sometimes you have be beaten and jailed in Birmingham. And sometimes you have to fill a Word document with the Clerk of the Superior Court of the State of Georgia to save $18 that you weren't really charged.

Only through such struggles will the injustices of today be ultimately consigned to the dustbin of history.

Standards seem pretty low in this state man honestly probably unironically needs it

e: Im gonna cap this off just by saying the guy didn't tell me his fees or have any fee schedule at all until after it was done and signed. You can say Im getting all hyped over $20 (which I absolutely am) but it put me in a position if I didn't know better of having no choice. Remember to advertise your fees upfront to avoid folks like me eh

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 29, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

MSm all about that street life
going to law school in Chicago means I know all the gang signs

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
LOL I can legally charge $100,000 to notarize some poo poo if I want

(I've never charged to notarize and I've probably notarized over ten thousand documents)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jacobin posted:

Congratulations, you are already officious enough to be a real attorney.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

You should have been like "Hey notarize this poo poo, I'll pay" and then after he notarized it, you say "Suck a dick" and then not pay so he feels like a real lawyer.

Actual lol.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
You know I actually feel bad now. It seems increasingly clear that the "Fingerprinting X Inc." that I was first walking into is really just a side hustle in the same office of a singular lawyer who advertises notary and other services in the plural on the doorway who very likely has to hustle a whole lot. None of that was apparent at first and I had no idea there was any legal services in the office, and only asked about the notary seeing it on the doorway.

But the paypal thing... surely that seems rather sketchy and fly-by-night right :|?

Vox Nihili posted:

Congratulations, you are already officious enough to be a real attorney.

The document was getting notarized is to become a co-guardian advocate of a sibling.... who is 9 years older than me. And I will likely be heavily involved in his care going forward until he expires (or I do) as the previous advocates are reaching dementia type age.

I think Im coming full-circle. People attempt to project their own bigger problems onto... lawyers...

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 29, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

my secretary notarizes things

i did discover the other day that being a lawyer makes me automatically licenced to be a real estate broker, for some reason

too late to save Remedy :rip:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Should I be a notary too to see if I will like the practice of law

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No, and you're too old to be a real lawyer now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

too late to save Remedy :rip:

considering how wide spread that practice was it's amazing he of all people got burned. probably should've gone solely after out of state people like every similar group to his did.

it wss really sad on the few occasions where a homeowner would show up at the end of the case and be like "but I have a lawyer I've paid at least 10k to" and produce correspondence with someone from California or Florida.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No, and you're too old to be a real lawyer now.

Speaking of which,I guess Toona finally offed himself.

Edit:
"Last Post
Jul 24, 2016 06:48

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
His valiant last words:

Toona the Cat posted:

Edit: and no, my study partner had nothing to do with this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:rip: tonna

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Toona isn't dead. He lives on in every one of my students who plan to go to law school, but have no particular ideas about what or where they want to practice.

I know three different people studying for the LSAT and nothing I say to them penetrates.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This week I talked two computer criminology students out of lawschool and into computer science instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I had to talk my boss out of the idea of sending me to a US law school for three years.