Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

blar posted:

You just ensured that your last semester of law school will be spent studying one of the most excruciating areas of law. These cases get so boring that the judges writing the opinions sometimes break down into quoting bad movies or comparing ligers to tigons etc. Did you at least take it pass/fail?

This is true. I teach Admin. and I hate it because it's so boring. I have a hard time staying awake myself, so I can only imagine what the students are going through. I compensate by letting them out early most of the time. It's pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

New York Law Journal posted:

Advice for the Lawlorn

Q:

Dear Ann,

I am a rising 3L at one of the top 6 law schools in the country, and had few summer associate offers as compared to the rest of my classmates. The problem was that I bombed my first semester of law school and finished my 1L year with 3 Cs on my transcript. My grades improved a good bit after that. In my 2L year I got one A and all the rest Bs.

How marketable would you say I am if I decide to interview again after this summer? Do you think firms will overlook my 3 Cs in my first year? Or will these bad grades at the beginning haunt me forever?

Her answer is a lot of words but in summary it is "you're screwed."

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
ATTN MOOKIE - I'd like to talk to you about something sorta time sensitive, if you get this tonight please hit me up via AIM (EVFAIN) or shoot an e-mail to sigmachiev@yahoo.com. Thanks man

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus loving christ why are they still making me do this loving bullshit work without paying me for it?

I'm sick of introducing poo poo into evidence. It's dumb, I'll stipulate it beforehand and any real fight will be had in a motion in limine. I won't do it in real life for five to ten years. gently caress, I should have gone to business school.

Yeah, I know, whiny but 3L can blow me.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 28, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus loving christ why are they still making me do this loving bullshit work without paying me for it?

I'm sick of introducing poo poo into evidence. It's dumb, I'll stipulate it beforehand and any real fight will be had in a motion in limine. I won't do it in real life for five to ten years. gently caress, I should have gone to business school.

Yeah, I know, whiny but 3L can blow me.

I practice before a court that requires parties to stipulate to the fullest extent possible. It still came up repeatedly during my very first trial.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

J Miracle posted:

No I blew my pass/fail on business enterprises cause I let people scare me about the exam and then I got an A anyway.
Lol, the managing editor of my journal apparently pass/failed Transnational Law, a class that everyone is required to take to graduate, and then booked it anyway (i.e. got the highest grade in the class).

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Linguica posted:

Lol, the managing editor of my journal apparently pass/failed Transnational Law, a class that everyone is required to take to graduate, and then booked it anyway (i.e. got the highest grade in the class).

Yes, Michigan literally requires everyone to take international law panda.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Hey Texas Law Goons, are you still alive?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Vander posted:

Hey Texas Law Goons, are you still alive?

Yeah, we're fine. William Munny's on lockdown. I skipped class this morning so I'm rejoicing in a day off.

And 1Ls are still studying in lockdown, I poo poo you not.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah, we're fine. William Munny's on lockdown. I skipped class this morning so I'm rejoicing in a day off.

Did you have the Prof that was shot at?

... Did he deserve it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Vander posted:

Did you have the Prof that was shot at?

... Did he deserve it?

Nope!

Probably not.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So my crim TA's apparently really good at handjobs.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/northwestern-law-student-emails-hand-job-offer-to-entire-law-school/

I don't normally go to her office hours, but I might make an exception this week

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Recommend any supplements for Evidence?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Lawyer and Law School Megathread #13: the only jobs are hand-jobs

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

whyyy

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In a just world the verbose morons responsible for Penny Arcade would be dying of blood loss cold and alone in a ditch somewhere

so the response to your "whyyy" is that this is not a just world and both law school and penny arcade exist

time to drink

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hypocrite lecteur posted:

In a just world the verbose morons responsible for Penny Arcade would be dying of blood loss cold and alone in a ditch somewhere

so the response to your "whyyy" is that this is not a just world and both law school and penny arcade exist

time to drink

a good lawyer would have realized penny arcade probably didn't write those words :v:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

time to drink

boo hoo hoo I don't like an enormously popular and successful webcomic that has engendered one of the biggest gaming conventions in America as well as a successful charity program that provides toys for sick kids in children's hospitals all while its authors remain humble and self-deprecating about their "celebrity" boo hoo hoo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

boo hoo hoo I don't like an enormously popular and successful webcomic that has engendered one of the biggest gaming conventions in America as well as a successful charity program that provides toys for sick kids in children's hospitals all while its authors remain humble and self-deprecating about their "celebrity" boo hoo hoo

Well I do say that

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

time to drink

Actually Penny Arcade is often extremely funny and has helped to legitimize a hobby still too often vilified by mainstream media and if you don't like them you're either old and out of touch or young and boring.

That comic posted above was also pretty clearly not done by those two.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Plus that handjob coupon is kinda funny

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

entris posted:

its authors remain humble and self-deprecating about their "celebrity" boo hoo hoo

unbearable and unreadable wall of text posted:

Comic related to my cohort's birthday constitute a kind of sub-genre in the greater body of our "work," some are more generalized - like today's, for example - but there are one or two that hint at something like an overarching (underpinning?) mythology.
So, while we managed to escape PAX without an epidemic, the joy beams of that blessed event must have stripped us of our natural defenses because the entire office has been getting sick in overlapping shifts ever since. I took my turn over the weekend, having taken the Plague Baton from Gabriel, I was chasing a spinning coin through what seemed like an infinite, handcrafted maze, and when I finally managed to get the Goddamned thing, it was made of wood. Even in the grip of the vision, I shook my head. I already know that wealth for wealth's sake is an illusory loving enterprise! What a crock of poo poo. I flew away on my gryphon before my roiling mind could offer up any more of its dime-store "lessons."
Etrian Odyssey III couldn't have arrived at a better time; I wasn't able to get out of bed, but my thumbs were in top form. The third entry in a series with callbacks to the PC dungeon crawlers of yore, it marries incredible art (no, really) with a heap of interlocking systems and then tells you to gently caress yourself. Not everyone wants that - not everyone wants a game to continually reinforce their unworthiness. But this is all I want now, these mean as hell, spit-in-your-mouth grudgefucker games, and this is certainly that.
In the rounds of Civ V I've played (and enjoyed, to be sure) I've got a good "feeling" by turn ten how this poo poo is going to shake out. Real quick, just for the curious among you, it's going to shake out with me atop a mountain of of bones, crown wobbling dangerously to one side as I really go nuts on a femur. Maybe I should turn up the difficulty? Which one is the right one, which is the one where it starts to cheat? Etrian Odyssey III only has one difficulty, and that difficulty is motherfucker. There is a cat you might see five, maybe six minutes into the first level of the dungeon that will wipe out your entire party. TPK. Get past him, and there's another one waiting in a tree. Your time, your wealth, and your optimistic young adventurers bleeding optimistically on the forest floor.
You can write a paean to this game, give it the best part of yourself, but it will never love you. It will instruct you, and with a firm hand; that might be the best you can hope for. You might decide that braving the Yggdrasil Labyrinth is a fool's errand, and take your place as a functionary in your father's shipping concern, supplying adventurers braver than yourself. You'll mend nets. You never wonder what it might have been like, that other life. You never wonder, except when you do.

entris posted:

humble

:stare:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love how you think that wall of text is some sort of self-evident "smoking gun" that the PA guys are not humble.

Perhaps you don't understand sarcasm, or irony, or self-deprecation.

Perhaps you don't actually read Penny Arcade very much at all, and your opinion is based on puffery.

Enough derail!

My firm is throwing an open house in two weeks, and to distract people from the sparseness of our office we had a local artist friend mount a bunch of his paintings on the walls. This way our guests will have something to talk about as they drink cheap alcohol and eat cheap food. Exciting! I'm still trying to decide between a full suit or a suit sans-tie with a snazzier shirt rather than a dress shirt.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

:stare:

Are you fuckin slow or something

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
2/4 of my professors are being total cocks about attendance. one of them sends weekly reminders to the class LOOK I KNOW SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE SKIPPING CLASS AND IT NEEDS TO STOP OKAY THERE ARE NEW ABA RULES AND I JUST WONT STAND FOR IT

i want to fax him a closeup of my rear end in a top hat, mid-turtle

e: it's also a no-laptops class, I wish I could hate him to death.
e2: also he has missed a bunch of classes for obscure jewish holidays and we are expected to make them up with evening classes on tuesdays. he sent me a snippy email for missing one of these gems. sometimes I think about killing myself so I can come back as a vengeful shade and torment him for the rest of time

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 28, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The ABA has new rules that require attendance?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
No I'm pretty sure it's just dumb bullshit they made up so they can continue to be the jeans-wearing latte-sipping young cool-kid professors while simultaneously being pedantic dinosaurian cocks about attendance

YOU GUYS, IT'S NOT ME, IT"S THE MEAN OL' ABA *makes meticulous attendance notes on seating chart, becomes sexually overwhelmed with this miniscule amount of power, jerks off into musty sweatsock with trembling hands*

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
You should've entered LF's Hitlermoustachagon, that would show him :frogc00l:

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
I got in to law school!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Trash Can Man posted:

I got in to law school!

The trolling these days has been really low effort.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.

Defleshed posted:

No, really, I did.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Trash Can Man posted:

No, really, I did.

Defleshed posted:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well I for one am excited for him! Congratulations, what's your plan B?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

entris posted:

The ABA has new rules that require attendance?

My school also claims that they do.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

J Miracle posted:

My school also claims that they do.

Interpretation 304-6 of Standard 304 (d) is probably where they get that from :v:

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards/2010-2011%20Standards/2010-2011%20ABA%20Standards%20pdf%20files/Chapter%203.pdf

Trash Can Man posted:

No, really, I did.

Congrats, I hope it was Harvard, Yale, or Stanford or at least a Top 14 School with a sizable scholarship. If not you can achieve the same end result by sucking dicks under a freeway overpass for 3 years, then burning $150,000.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 29, 2010

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2013

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

God drat it, that was a bizarre mix of hilarious and depressing. I walk in, wondering why the halls are so empty, everybody knows, but one of the 1L classrooms is half full. They were worried that Mullenix would punish them or some such crap.

I'd say it was a law school thing, but apparently undergrads studying for midterms were doing the same thing. People complained that the university not closing right away was creating a perverse incentive for people to come to class, but if people are that loving stupid, they'd probably just get themselves killed some other way.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
I have a question for Mookie, or anyone who actually has a lawyer job (So probably only him)

My 1L research professor is making a big thing about THE BOOOOOOKS and how bosses will want us to use THE BOOOOOOOKS for research instead of wasting time and money by using electronic sources, specifically Westlaw/Lexis. (granted, He's mentioned how ungodly expensive westlaw can be)

Do big firms care? Or is it mostly solos and small firms that would rather you pore over the digests and indexes and USCA and poo poo?

Upon your answer depends how much I pay attention to his emphatic jumping up and down about THE BOOOOOOOKS

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Lilosh posted:

I have a question for Mookie, or anyone who actually has a lawyer job (So probably only him)

My 1L research professor is making a big thing about THE BOOOOOOKS and how bosses will want us to use THE BOOOOOOOKS for research instead of wasting time and money by using electronic sources, specifically Westlaw/Lexis. (granted, He's mentioned how ungodly expensive westlaw can be)

Do big firms care? Or is it mostly solos and small firms that would rather you pore over the digests and indexes and USCA and poo poo?

Upon your answer depends how much I pay attention to his emphatic jumping up and down about THE BOOOOOOOKS

I am a partner at a small firm, and we pay for an unlimited primary law (cases and codes) Westlaw plan. If we had to use books, we couldn't do our work. And it is sooooo expensive, every associate drat well use it.

Now, there are still things that are in books and not in Westlaw (or prohibitively expensive in Westlaw) such as treatises and Amjur and such, so you should learn how to find that stuff, but by and large, unless you are doing total shitlaw, you will have access to Westlaw or Lexis.

And for you weenies bitching about attendance requirements, back when I went to law school my TTT had a three-absence-then-fail policy. So quit whining and get out of bed and go to class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Solomon Grundy posted:

And for you weenies bitching about attendance requirements, back when I went to law school my TTT had a three-absence-then-fail policy. So quit whining and get out of bed and go to class.

My contracts professor (who is apparently a "legend in the field" and can do whatever the gently caress he wants) has a "I take attendance at the beginning and if you miss two or more classes you fail the final and the class" policy.

And it's our 9am class :(