Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I only eat tacos with cheese on them because they are tastier.

I met a guy at a party last night who is going to Yale law in the fall, he wants to be an environmental lawyer and he currently works for one of the big environmental nonprofit groups. He's the only 0L interested in environmental law that I haven't tried to dissuade from going to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can

at what school

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

at what school

Doesn't say. She lives in Cambridge, so maybe it's harvard but I feel like if you go to harvard that's a thing you brag about in your okcupid profile so I bet it's suffolk

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I dunno - it could be that she's just not a dick.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Actually if she's gushing about international human rights law she probably goes to northeastern

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Doesn't say. She lives in Cambridge, so maybe it's harvard but I feel like if you go to harvard that's a thing you brag about in your okcupid profile so I bet it's suffolk
If it is Havard, she might actually get a job, so I'd suggest another tack:
Jump on that train
If she makes it, marry her and take the biglaw money and pay off your debt
If not, find someone who went to Yale.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

If it is Havard, she might actually get a job, so I'd suggest another tack:
Jump on that train
If she makes it, marry her and take the biglaw money and pay off your debt
If not, find someone who went to Yale.

I am a licensed lawyer so by the laws of lawyer-dating she does have to go out with me even if I am an unemployed alky loser. This is just crazy enough to work

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am a licensed lawyer so by the laws of lawyer-dating she does have to go out with me even if I am an unemployed alky loser. This is just crazy enough to work
Yes, but say you have your own firm.

I mean, just because your practice has 1 client (your grandma and her will), doesn't mean it can't be a firm.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like tacos on FLOUR TORTILLAS

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like tacos on FLOUR TORTILLAS

Texas smoked sausage tastes better than that bullshit boudin :colbert:

RICE GOES WITH SAUSAGE, NOT IN SAUSAGE.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

boudin balls beg to differ

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can
I don't understand you. If I was in your position I think I would be going to colleges to tell seniors to sign up for their local T4 law school because it's a sure-fire bet to big money, fast cars, loose women and societal/peer respect. And it's spiritually rewarding and you get to totally pick your clients and cases.

Because, jesus, man. How are you not at that point?

We all float down here.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

billion dollar bitch posted:

I dunno - it could be that she's just not a dick.

Good theory. Here, I've compiled a list of every Harvard Law student or graduate who is reluctant to tell people they go/went to Harvard Law:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Good theory. Here, I've compiled a list of every Harvard Law student or graduate who is reluctant to tell people they go/went to Harvard Law:
I actually know 2.
They do exist. They're also older and rich so they just go with old and rich.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

boudin balls beg to differ

Those are just trussed-up arancine, not fried sausage.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 19, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

my dad went to harvard (undergrad), my mom says when she met him and he said he went to harvard she didn't believe him because he hadn't been boasting about it and being an rear end in a top hat about it

so, yeah

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Abugadu posted:

The same thing goes for Stanford (in general)

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad
I apologize in advance but I am going to keep my question fairly general because I don't want any goon detectives bothering my relative.

I have an uncle who is a dean in a completely unrelated department at a T14 school. What I want to know is how much of an impact will this connection have when it comes time to apply. When I emailed him all he said was that when I submit my application, let him know. I didn't want to bother him so I left it at that. Realistically, if it were me applying like any other person I would probably get wait listed at best, and thats purely because I am Mexican. Once again sorry this is so vague.

edit: I have a 3.4 GPA and the practice tests that I have been taking make me think I will score in the 168-172 range

newberstein fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 19, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
AHAHAHAHHA Got a B+ on that terrible rear end paper on whether avatars in MMORPGs should be afforded human rights protections. The one I had to re-write after exam period because I didn't do enough work the first time.

Awesome. I graduate Sunday. gently caress yes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SWATJester posted:

AHAHAHAHHA Got a B+ on that terrible rear end paper on whether avatars in MMORPGs should be afforded human rights protections.

And they say a JD isn't practical outside of law!

I know someone who's in T3/4 law school and after reading this thread I am worried for him. He's got a few internships under his belt and is a great student, but I mean I'm sure lots of you who are looking for work had the same.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

newberstein posted:

I apologize in advance but I am going to keep my question fairly general because I don't want any goon detectives bothering my relative.

I have an uncle who is a dean in a completely unrelated department at a T14 school. What I want to know is how much of an impact will this connection have when it comes time to apply. When I emailed him all he said was that when I submit my application, let him know. I didn't want to bother him so I left it at that. Realistically, if it were me applying like any other person I would probably get wait listed at best, and thats purely because I am Mexican. Once again sorry this is so vague.

edit: I have a 3.4 GPA and the practice tests that I have been taking make me think I will score in the 168-172 range

URM + your scores = you could probably get in regardless.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SWATJester posted:

AHAHAHAHHA Got a B+ on that terrible rear end paper on whether avatars in MMORPGs should be afforded human rights protections. The one I had to re-write after exam period because I didn't do enough work the first time.

Congrats on sticking it out. I'm also graduating Sunday. Woot.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Grinding out those last 30 footnotes was awful. At one point, I was having self-referential conversations with myself in them.
thing.

It was mandated I submit it to journals. I submitted it to FIU law review, something like Albany journal of science and technology, and some foreign one. The worst journals I could think of.

I did not bluebook a thing.

I win at law school.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

He's got a few internships under his belt and is a great student, but I mean I'm sure lots of you who are looking for work had the same.

yo

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

SWATJester posted:

AHAHAHAHHA Got a B+ on that terrible rear end paper on whether avatars in MMORPGs should be afforded human rights protections.

So what was your conclusion?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Bungle is a bad clown and should be tried for crimes against humanity.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

newberstein posted:

If he's in some department that isn't the law school it probably won't have any real impact, it certainly wouldn't hurt you in any way but I doubt it'll be of huge assistance.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
idk, pretty much no HLS guy on OKC mentions his law school by name.

which kind of annoys me because that's the only one I would consider messaging. don't want to date suffolk losers.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

newberstein posted:

I am Mexican.

quote:

a 3.4 GPA

quote:

the 168-172 range
You're great for the top half of the T-14. Get 175+ and you'll be sitting pretty for T5, I'd bet. I think "Mexican" is the most sought after URM at the moment - if my memory serves me correctly from when I was looking into it several months ago - so your race will definitely boost the fact that your UGPA isn't close to 4.0.

Unless if your uncle somehow has major pull with somebody that matters in the law school, he's a non-issue. Doesn't really matter, since you're doing just fine on your own.

If I were you, I'd think long and hard about why I wanted to be a lawyer. And then I would make sure that that's actually what lawyers do. And then I'd go to the highest ranked T14 that would give me a (nearly) full ride. Just don't gently caress up your LSAT and it's entirely possible. Good luck.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mr. Bungle is a bad clown and should be tried for crimes against humanity.

- Julian Dibbell, YLS '13

Petey fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 19, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Red Bean Juice posted:

have you tried the lengua, i would but i fear risk (hence law school)

lengua tacos are the best tacos

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

TyChan posted:

Which states are you taking? I've had a couple of friends and relatives take 2 bar courses during the summer and I hear that if one of the states is only testing you on MBE knowledge or MBE subject areas, it's not quite that bad.
Colorful Colorado and Desolate Wyoming. I have to do the whole MBE thing, but only in Colorado because Wyoming accepts Colorado scores, which is good.

quote:

I've found that the "secret" of making bar preparation less hellish is to be consistent. Procrastination might have been sustainable during law school because you could make an outline, but there is just too much memorization and test-practice necessary to wait until the last minute and comfortably maintain sanity. The people I know really getting frazzled by the process were the ones who sat on their asses until June.
This is what is going to be hard for me. I got through law school by putting things off and making sure I made an outline that had everything organized in a way that I could use on the exam. Now I need to sort of know things from memory.

HooKars posted:

Does it really matter? The MBE tests black letter law, and it's the same everywhere, unless you're just complaining about having to get a hotel room for a night.
Yes, it's entirely an issue of me being a baby who doesn't want to stay an extra night in a hotel. Not the end of the world.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

I just got a B+ in a class I rarely showed up to, studied for the exam for all of a day, and thought I bombed the exam.

woooooooooooooooooooooo

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
It's almost as if yall are saying that law school grades are arbitrary

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh I forgot to mention I didn't buy the statute book and just printed off the ones I thought were relevant, and guessed wrong on a few and had to infer what they were from the textbook

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Actually if she's gushing about international human rights law she probably goes to northeastern

Either a clueless first-year law student, or potentially she actually has a big-rear end trust fund.

Enquire further in case it's the second.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009

Defenestration posted:

which kind of annoys me because that's the only one I would consider messaging. don't want to date suffolk losers.

I talked to a Suffolk student on TF2 the other day. I asked him what he was doing for the summer and he said he was taking EMT classes. Didn't surprise me all that much.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thoras Hammer posted:

I talked to a Suffolk student on TF2 the other day. I asked him what he was doing for the summer and he said he was taking EMT classes. Didn't surprise me all that much.

that's brilliant: he doesn't need to be an ambulance chaser, he is already in the ambulance

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
"Paralegal Master's Degree - Paralegal.OnlineGWU.com - Prestigious Paralegal Masters from George Washington University."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Applebee123 posted:

So what was your conclusion?

Existing laws in theory cover abuses but enforcement is inadequate.