Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PapalRain
Aug 14, 2008

entris posted:

Are you from that area? Do you have family in the area?

What have you done before law school? Work? Grad school? Straight through from undergrad?

It's never too late for us to try to convince a goon not to go.

nm posted:

Are they throwing a lot of money at you? WUSTL is expensive. Like even more than many law schools expensive.

Not from the area, don't have family in the area. Won't matter (kind of) because my parents plan on moving back to China relatively soon. Planning on going straight through from undergrad. Before you try to dissuade me, I pretty much wrote my personal statement with the OP and the rest of the thread in mind. Additionally, my brother graduated from law school last year and is at a biglaw firm in D.C. (pretty much working from 7 to 9 six days a week). I've talked to him as well as to a lot of his friends, some of whom are being crushed by the job market, so I've heard the advice in the OP a couple of times now but also enough personal encouragement to still want to go.

Having read most of this thread, I wouldn't consider going if they weren't throwing significant amounts of money at me (they are). I haven't heard back from most of the other schools I've applied to, including T14s, but unless they throw cash at me in the same quantities that WUSTL has, St. Louis still seems like it's going to be a pretty good choice. GWU (is that the right acronym) has accepted me, and D.C. is pretty appealing, but it doesn't really seem like they're the type to give me piles of cash for going and I doubt it's worth doubling my eventual debt to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
leverage your cash bro. it works and it works BIGTIME

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

PapalRain posted:

Not from the area, don't have family in the area. Won't matter (kind of) because my parents plan on moving back to China relatively soon. Planning on going straight through from undergrad. Before you try to dissuade me, I pretty much wrote my personal statement with the OP and the rest of the thread in mind. Additionally, my brother graduated from law school last year and is at a biglaw firm in D.C. (pretty much working from 7 to 9 six days a week). I've talked to him as well as to a lot of his friends, some of whom are being crushed by the job market, so I've heard the advice in the OP a couple of times now but also enough personal encouragement to still want to go.

Having read most of this thread, I wouldn't consider going if they weren't throwing significant amounts of money at me (they are). I haven't heard back from most of the other schools I've applied to, including T14s, but unless they throw cash at me in the same quantities that WUSTL has, St. Louis still seems like it's going to be a pretty good choice. GWU (is that the right acronym) has accepted me, and D.C. is pretty appealing, but it doesn't really seem like they're the type to give me piles of cash for going and I doubt it's worth doubling my eventual debt to go there.

I don't know how accurate my information really is so take it with a grain of salt, but I had a full-tuition offer from WUSTL and I ended up passing it up after reading a few folk talk about how the St. Louis and other area firms were hyper-paranoid about people skipping out.

Apparently people who'd grown up in the area, had family and friends there, and planned to stay there were getting grilled about whether they were really committed to the area.

I suspect that's not technically as much of an issue in a place like Chicago, but there you're also competing directly with UChicago, Northwestern, the lower ranked ones in city with strong alumni networks, and every other T14 grad targeting a market-paying firm.

Again, I don't have solid statistical data, just anecdotal here.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

PapalRain posted:

GWU (is that the right acronym)

No.

It's GW.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Beefeater, how easy is it to get a job in Hong Kong? I'm a tax lawyer in New Zealand (focusing on international tax planning) and I'm thinking about moving to do tax advice in Hong Kong in a couple of years. Is it as ridiculously competitive as London firms or do I maybe have a chance?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

TheBestDeception posted:

Work for a state. I enjoy my job and have awesome hours... and you can, too. (Of course there is a downside - thanks IBR!)

I'll second this. I work for the state, as a senior policy analyst tasked with handling legislative issues for my agency. So I spend time with the law, but working from the policy side of things. I get to do a lot of research and analysis (which I love), get to be part of the legislative machine (I am, strictly speaking, a lobbyist for my agency), and put in 40 hours a week.

The downside is, of course, the pay. It's good, but not as good as big law. Although, the hourly rate probably works out to be the same, given the time some of those poor souls have to put in. Plus, I am in a protected, permanent position. Now if we can just solve our state budget issues so we can get raises...

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Daico posted:

Apparently people who'd grown up in the area, had family and friends there, and planned to stay there were getting grilled about whether they were really committed to the area.

I think it's more if you have no ties to the area and go to Wash U and end up loving it, too bad - don't expect to get a job without ties to the area. People in St. Louis love their own kind and don't believe anyone else would ever want to voluntary live there. If you have ties to St. Louis already, I don't think going to Wash. U is going to leave you terribly crippled although I don't think it puts you above a school like SLU and is probably much more expensive.

WSTL seems to send their grads all over - which can be a positive or a negative - if you do or don't know where you want to end up yet, but if you know the region you want to be in, you'll probably have a lot more employers coming to OCI from that region if you pick a school that has a hold on that particular geographic market.

St. Louis is a fun city though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PapalRain posted:

Assuming I am going to die alone and be miserable eventually, can somebody tell me about WUSTL? It's at least moderately likely now that I will go there, though I'm still waiting on other schools to get back to me, but I know nothing about St. Louis.

I went to undergrad at WashU (it's called WashU, not WUSTL). The campus sucks. Terribly. They used to have huge awesome buildings that won architectural awards and were awesome. Starting six or seven years ago, they began dismantling their huge awesome buildings and replacing them with drywall pieces of poo poo. I'm very resentful about this and tell them so every time they beg me for money.

Also, there are plenty of super cheap but nice places to live within biking distance, which is nice since you shouldn't own a car. The roads there make no sense. Like, the map was drawn by a second grader. Pershing Ave. intersects itself. Also their parking nazis are in fact nazis.

The law school has a nice enough building though. Unless they replaced that too. Which I wouldn't put past them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HooKars posted:

WSTL seems to send their grads all over - which can be a positive or a negative - if you do or don't know where you want to end up yet, but if you know the region you want to be in, you'll probably have a lot more employers coming to OCI from that region if you pick a school that has a hold on that particular geographic market.
I think this is a positive. Of non T14, non California schools, I suspect WUSTL has the best name recognition in CA.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Jesus christ I am hosed (saved?) I just got rejected from Santa Clara university. They were one of my safety schools.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

I think this is a positive. Of non T14, non California schools, I suspect WUSTL has the best name recognition in CA.

Sure but if you know you want to be in California, you should probably pick a California school over WashU. They're going to have some name recognition and some CA employers at their OCI but not as many or as much as UCLA or USC.

Although I'm not sure I believe that. I feel like a lot of people have heard of and have a basic sense of respect for schools like UT and Notre Dame and UNC and a lot of people have never heard of WashU or get it confused. But I'm from the east coast and really had no idea it was a good school for either undergrad or law school until recently. My mind kind of skipped over the midwest with the exception of Notre Dame.

I didn't mind having a car in St. Louis at all and probably wouldn't want to live there without one. They used to be doing all kinds of crazy construction on the highways but its pretty much done with now and so traffic has sorted itself out. The MetroLink doesn't go to all areas of the city and the bus routes are really obnoxious. They sweep the streets every Monday and Friday in Clayton so you had to move your car to the other side of the street but it wasn't a huge deal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HooKars posted:

Sure but if you know you want to be in California, you should probably pick a California school over WashU. They're going to have some name recognition and some CA employers at their OCI but not as many or as much as UCLA or USC.
Well, yes, at least in the top schools, but those are pretty much all T14s. Below about UC Davis (maybe Hastings), I'd say WUSTL will sell better than like Loyola or McGeorge (T2s). And UC Davis and Hastings don't hand out money and even their in-state tuition is hilarious.
That said, i think Northern California (except government) is a bit more knowledgeable about out of state law schools than most places. It has attracted a lot of out-of-state talent, which means you're more likely to have firms with experience with students from places like UT or WUSTL.

quote:

Although I'm not sure I believe that. I feel like a lot of people have heard of and have a basic sense of respect for schools like UT and Notre Dame and UNC and a lot of people have never heard of WashU or get it confused. But I'm from the east coast and really had no idea it was a good school for either undergrad or law school until recently. My mind kind of skipped over the midwest with the exception of Notre Dame.
I think it gets more play out here than it does back east. UT does also do well here, but WUSTL at least in NorCal has a number of people high up in well respected firms, which gives it better buzz.
Notre Dame and UNC are basically football teams out here.
(I'm not talking about lay people, just among lawyers.)

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

Well, yes, at least in the top schools, but those are pretty much all T14s. Below about UC Davis (maybe Hastings), I'd say WUSTL will sell better than like Loyola or McGeorge (T2s).

Well, he's getting substantial money apparently from WUSTL, which is ranked #19. So USC, ranked at #18 and UCLA, ranked at #15 seem like decent comparison schools and definite possibilities for him, although UCLA might not offer him as much money. I'm not sure why a T2 would even be on his radar.

Just saying, if he knows what region he wants to work in after he graduates, he might be better off looking at similarly ranked schools in that region since he'll be a contender at top schools in those regions. Depends on where he gets in and what they offer though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HooKars posted:

Well, he's getting substantial money apparently from WUSTL, which is ranked #19. So USC, ranked at #18 and UCLA, ranked at #15 seem like decent comparison schools and definite possibilities for him, although UCLA might not offer him as much money. I'm not sure why a T2 would even be on his radar.

Just saying, if he knows what region he wants to work in after he graduates, he might be better off looking at similarly ranked schools in that region since he'll be a contender at top schools in those regions. Depends on where he gets in and what they offer though.
Thats true.
I'm just saying if you we're talking about national reputation, WUSTL has a better reputation and most similarly ranked schools.
(I excluded california school from my first statement anyhow)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

Jesus christ I am hosed (saved?) I just got rejected from Santa Clara university. They were one of my safety schools.

Safety schools reject you to keep their admittance rate down.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Well, the 2011 Cooley Law School Rankings are out!!

quote:

1. Harvard Law School
2. Thomas M. Cooley Law School
3. Georgetown University
4. New York University
5. University of Virginia
6. Columbia University
7. Northwestern University
8. University of Texas
9. George Washington University
10. Yale Law School
is it too late to retroactively transfer???

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
ahahaha

they are gaming their own rankings

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
Fordham above Stanford, the way it should be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Northeastern's not even in the top 50 :(

YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME COOLEY????

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
NYU > Columbia, Cooley rankings' credibility substantially eroded.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
gulc has fallen to #3 :(

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Boston College Law School...still outranking South Texas College of Law and John Marshall Law School :smug:

Oh and the University of Chicago.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_analogy.html

:laugh:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

But wait, here's the best part. We'll put ourselves at number two instead of number one, so it will look totally legit. :colbert:

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Eh, most laypeople's knowledge of law school rankings is probably something like:

1 - Harvard
2 - The nearby TTT that all the local politicians oozed out of
Everything else

I think Cooley figures as long as it puts Harvard at the top most people will just go with the list.

Really digging how Cooley ranks itself #1 for total enrollment AND for first-year matriculation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

drat Phantom posted:

Eh, most laypeople's knowledge of law school rankings is probably something like:

1 - Harvard
2 - The nearby TTT that all the local politicians oozed out of
Everything else

I think Cooley figures as long as it puts Harvard at the top most people will just go with the list.

Really digging how Cooley ranks itself #1 for total enrollment AND for first-year matriculation.

Also digging Stanford all the way down at #30. Nobody remembers Stanford, they can get away with that probably.

Suffolk's gaining on them. Go Suffolk.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Oh god, my Cornell degree will be WORTHLESS now.

#34 is terrible and I should probably drop out rather than graduate from such a TTT. :smith:

edit: at least I don't go to Chicago

Business
Feb 6, 2007

God that's not even remotely coherent

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Anybody care to comment on how substantive the Cooley grants are? They're #1 in in % of Full-time Students Receiving Grants. Looks like you don't even have to be median to get money at Cooley. Clearly it is an institution for the people :smug:

EDIT: http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_list.html Oh god they just shunted Aaron Rodgers to the top of the QB list with a big "THIS JUST IN" sticker to point out that law school elitism would have cut out the super bowl MVP

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 9, 2011

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
Cooley thinks Wake Forest isn't worthy of the top 50.

I agree. Wake has a horrible basketball team this year.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I can't believe this is real :smith:

Whoever writes these things must be comically evil, twirling their mustache and laughing.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

drat Phantom posted:

Anybody care to comment on how substantive the Cooley grants are? They're #1 in in % of Full-time Students Receiving Grants. Looks like you don't even have to be median to get money at Cooley. Clearly it is an institution for the people :smug:

http://www.cooley.edu/prospective/scholarships.html

Like that?

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

That's actually really generous assuming they don't do something like section stack all the scholarship kids against each other. Then again, having 75% of >3,000 students paying sticker makes a large pool of money they can dole out scholarships with.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

This reminds me of a Jos. A. Bank sale.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
They have a category for transfer students... Has anyone every transferred IN to Cooley?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Omerta posted:

They have a category for transfer students... Has anyone every transferred IN to Cooley?
Let's see... I have an old spreadsheet from 2008...

TRANSFERS IN 2
TRANSFERS OUT 185

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Linguica posted:

Let's see... I have an old spreadsheet from 2008...

TRANSFERS IN 2
TRANSFERS OUT 185

I like to imagine those 2 as MA/JD students in Journalism from Columbia

or maybe just heroes of irony

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Linguica posted:

Well, the 2011 Cooley Law School Rankings are out!!

is it too late to retroactively transfer???
UMN back in top20.
This list is totally legit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just love how they brag about having affordable education because they hand out so many grants to cut down on their otherwise outrageous tuition costs (which as I understand it they revoke once your grades drop, which they will because their curve is designed to make you lose your free money)

just have low tuition if you're going to brag about being affordable, don't be sleazy cooley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

don't be sleazy cooley
Now that's asking too much