Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Macnigore posted:

Thanks a lot solomon and yes they will know what EFB means since its the only place in Paris where you study to become a lawyer. Its a monopoly.

It means Ecole de Formation des Barreaux de Paris (Bar school of Paris)

Ps: I see you've changed a lot of things, I really thought it'd be okay. What was your reaction when you read the original cover letter ? Like do I really seem unable to speak english or is it alright ?

My reaction was that the letter was written by a very well educated person who had picked up English as a second language. I tried to make the letter sound like a native speaker. However, builds character did a better job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

After a long rear end graduation where our dean (who is the chair of the UNCAT) rambled on about torture for 30 minutes in an incomprehensible accent, and AG Eric Holder gave us wisdom along with a couple shoutouts to some of the grads (one of whom he kissed on the forehead as she crossed the stage; I think she's his niece, because different last name but they look VERY similar), I'm now finished with this 3 year long nightmare.

A very very important question remains:

What is the correct term to use between now and the bar exam: Lawyer, or Attorney? I always thought Lawyer meant licensed to practice, but various web searches are informing me that it simply means that you were schooled in legal education, whereas an attorney need not necessarily have had formal education (i.e., Cali-style reading for the bar).

This is very important, I need to update my linked in to have the proper word following unemployed.

How about Dr. SWATJester, PhD in thinking like a lawyer.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

First of all, it doesn't matter if you went to Harvard or Buttfuck State for undergrad; the schools just care about the numbers, because they are what makes their USNews ranking go up. If you and a candidate from Buttfuck State are totally equal, then they might choose you over him, but if his numbers are any better, he's probably getting in before you.

From what I understood, and I might not be completely accurate about this, every school has their own "index" value that they will give to your GPA depending on which school you go to. I don't believe they ever discount you, but admissions offices will give you some degree of indulgence/credit if you get a 3.8 at Swarthmore majoring in a tough subject area instead of a 4.0 at some low-ranked undegraduate institution majoring in television. Otherwise, people would be advising you to go for "gut" majors and easy subjects to assure your passage into a good law school.

At the same time, Dr. Mantis Toboggan is ultimately correct in that the name of your school won't have nearly the same kind of pull that it would in the real world in other sectors of the economy. Just because everyone tells you the world bows to the feet of someone who graduated from an Ivy League undergraduate institution doesn't mean that's actually the case.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 24, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

From what I understood, and I might not be completely accurate about this, every school has their own "index" value that they will give to your GPA depending on which school you go to. I don't believe they ever discount you, but admissions offices will give you some degree of indulgence/credit if you get a 3.8 at Swarthmore majoring in a tough subject area instead of a 4.0 at some low-ranked undegraduate institution majoring in television. Otherwise, people would be advising you to go for "gut" majors and easy subjects to assure your passage into a good law school.

At the same time, Dr. Mantis Toboggan is ultimately correct in that the name of your school won't have nearly the same kind of pull that it would in the real world in other sectors of the economy. Just because everyone tells you the world bows to the feet of someone who graduated from an Ivy League undergraduate institution doesn't mean that's actually the case.

The index is based on people who take the LSAT and submit their grades to LSAC, so it actually does benefit those who take easier majors to a small degree, assuming not everyone who is angling to waste their life as a lawyer is taking easy majors, etc. Further, Ivy schools (and other highly rated schools) tend to have more serious grade inflation to my anecdotal understanding, which would suggest this index is more closely skewed toward the 4.0 in say, Harvard, then Buttfuck State, where you probably have a significantly larger range of idiots, GPA-wise, taking the LSAT--meaning your 4.0 at Buttfuck will likely look better against your peers than the 3.8 at Swarthmore versus your peers. Not like the comparison with your peers, however, makes a huge difference. They care about that digit and decimal.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

TyChan posted:

This was demonstrably correct back when I was applying, which was admittedly roughly 15 years ago so perhaps things have changed (though I doubt they changed that much). My school kept GPA/LSAT application metrics for its graduates for what were the top 50 or so laws schools at the time. I compared the GPA averages/medians from my school with the published averages/medians accepted by the laws schools from all schools. My school had roughly a .2 to .3 preference (in other words, the average GPA from my school that got into law school X would be 3.5, whereas that law school's average undergraduate GPA would be a 3.7 to 3.8).

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

builds character posted:

This is also true, but in this climate I'd be leery of not doing your very best for everything just because having a job in a lovely department is better than nothing.

I'm not saying do a bad job in any department, but for example, if you decide to participate in a pro bono activity, try to pick one that's being led by associates/partners in the department of your choice. Continue contact with the department of choice after you rotate out - talk to them at activities, schedule lunch with them, schedule coffee with them... Don't blow off the partners and associates in the group you're currently in but don't forget about the department you rotated out of. I think this is especially important if the group you want to be in is during your first or second rotation. You don't want them to have a chance to forget how awesome you were.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Interesting discussion on succeeding as a summer associate by the way.

Much of the advice given is really applicable on a much broader basis. I think the advice given is also a subset of some more general advice I wish I had known 15 years ago: don't believe most peoples' bullshit (career services, other practitioners) that tends to allow you to do what you really want to do, particularly if it somehow involves less work, effort, and maintaining a balanced life.

Put another way, lots of people will say the "right" thing about work/life balance, about loving strong-minded associates who will pop off and contradict partners, about getting home to see your family, etc. It is pretty much always bullshit. No one cares that you are overbooked. They may say they care, but they don't. They just want you to do more work.

No one cares that you really believe in the ethics of balanced and nuanced argument. They want a fast answer that gets them where they want to be.

No one cares that your daughter is sick, that your dog just died, that you have no life or hobbies (except to the extent that it is preventing you from making rain).

They will tell you they care, they will tell you that those things are important.

But at the end of the day, realize that much of the professional world is really about deciphering a code of disinformation. You get a lot of disinformation, and it is really the gullible who believe it. I'm not suggesting that the gullible are stupid or bad people, they are frankly just naive. I had (and probably still have) a lot of it myself. I remember, for example, actually following my idiot career services person's advice and making sure to ask about "quality of life" in my first few interviews. After all, we were law students, and it was important to know that we would be working for a humane firm. All the law firms said they wanted to talk about it.

Of course, you learn fairly quickly (or you don't succeed) that it is all just bullshit. Quality of life discussions are really just code for, "This guy doesn't want to work hard." It doesn't matter that you really do want to work hard but just don't want to work 3000 hours a year - you will never explain it in a way that doesn't leave the law firm suspicious that you ever brought it up.

I have been thinking about this, and perhaps the best way to break the code on these things is to just put yourself in the position of being the average consumer, partner, client, etc. Imagine your car has broken down and you take it into the garage. You need it fixed the next day. Deep down, the average consumer may talk about caring that the mechanics have been working overtime shifts, have a lot of cars already, and cannot get it done the next day. But in reality, they don't care, they just want their car fixed. The garage that fixes the car reasonably well and gets it done by the next day is going to get more work than the garage that needs to take care of its mechanic's quality of life issues and spends a bunch of extra time and money doing the A+ job when the B+ job would have worked. No, they can't mess up your car and expect you to be happy, but frankly you don't want to hear a bunch of mumbling and shuffling about time schedules, how hard it is to find the problem, and that they already have so many cars in the pipeline. You just want them to fix your car.

In general, think of most humans as amoral, selfish pigs. Ask yourself what the amoral, selfish pig probably really wants. He doesn't want you to be happy, he doesn't really care that you stayed up late just the night before, he doesn't care about the social event that you really want to attend or the pro bono work that's really cool that you want to do. He just wants his poo poo done now in a way that makes him look good.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

In general, think of most humans as amoral, selfish pigs. Ask yourself what the amoral, selfish pig probably really wants. He doesn't want you to be happy, he doesn't really care that you stayed up late just the night before, he doesn't care about the social event that you really want to attend or the pro bono work that's really cool that you want to do. He just wants his poo poo done now in a way that makes him look good.

I don't know about the amoral, selfish part, but SlyFrog's right on the rest of this blurb. Partners want to believe they give a poo poo, but in the end, if the choice is between your welfare and their own welfare, they're going to choose themselves and it's up to you to learn how to navigate that atmosphere and still have a decent life (or not).

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

SlyFrog posted:

:words:

And yet many people actively seek out this type of employment. The financial rewards can be nice no doubt, but I grew up broke and continue to be broke and my life is pretty alright so far. I won't be laying in my coffin at my funeral saying "Motherfucker! I wish I would have worked more."

The professional world in America in general though, even at lower paying jobs is a culture of "look how hard we work". I've never understood it and probably never will though I do a great job of pretending (just like I assume a lot of other people are doing) to go along with it. The bottom line, to my mind is if you're not working in a foundry or a mill or some poo poo, you're not "working hard". The work you are doing may be mind-numbing tedious bullshit, but it isn't hard work. It may require specialized knowledge, or a certain set of skills but it isn't the back breaking labor one would generally associate with "hard work". Why is there some sort of dick-measuring contest among people to see how late they can stay at the office?

gently caress it, if the job is done and nobody will even know I did it in 20 minutes at the end of the day, I'll jump ship at 5pm and go drink beer and watch hockey and then later on I will claim how "hard" I worked on it to anyone who will listen. Then they will tell me how "hard" they worked on their poo poo and it will be a lie too, and we'll all sit around and jerk each other off and the cycle will continue.

I kinda went off on a tangent but my ultimate point is gently caress our culture of work.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

SlyFrog posted:

It is not so much that we are amoral. I do feel bad when I dump on someone junior to me. But my options are (1) the work doesn't get done (not acceptable); (2) I do the work; or (3) kick it down the hill to junior. Deciding between 2 and 3 can be tough. If I have a choice between ruining a normal weekend for me or for junior, I will usually pick junior. I justify it to myself as "when I was junior's age, I worked through mother's day, and that partner made me miss aunt zelda's barbecue, etc. It is the life junior has chosen, it is his turn now. I will make it up to junior someday for doing this to him now." That justification works for normal weekends/evenings. But I would never force an associate to miss a special occasion unless it was critically important. But I am shitlaw, not biglaw.

Don't underestimate how stressful and fast-paced practicing law is. We often just don't have time to factor in associate's needs into the equation. Work has to get done. Now.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

SWATJester posted:

Lawyer, or Attorney?

I did a paid Mock Jury recently, and someone asked just that; i.e. what the difference between an attorney and a lawyer is.

The attorney in the room asked him if it was a joke.

My inner law nerd tittered.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Is it like that at small firms too? I mean I understand the urgency of work (as I type this at work while not working) but I like having a life.... I mean StarCraft 2 is about to come out!

My impression (back when there were jobs) was that everyone worked in the biglaw meat grinder to pay off loans and then found a reasonable job that didn't destroy their souls? Is it all a sausage factory?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is it like that at small firms too? I mean I understand the urgency of work (as I type this at work while not working) but I like having a life.... I mean StarCraft 2 is about to come out!

My impression (back when there were jobs) was that everyone worked in the biglaw meat grinder to pay off loans and then found a reasonable job that didn't destroy their souls? Is it all a sausage factory?

It might depend on which side you're on. Plaintiff's work seems to be in spurts. There are some days we take off early and there are weeks when we work like crazy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

There are in-house jobs that "merely" have a 50-60 hour/week expectation and no weekends, although that will of course revolve around whether your corporation is being sued that month. There used to be a lot of them in NY and that used to be where all the burnouts went, but something tells me they're not really there for fourth year mid-tier associates anymore either.

As far as small law and solo work is concerned it's mostly about the type of law you practice. Immigration lawyers have a very different schedule from family law and they in turn are very different from personal injury.

Oh yeah: a few NY firms still have trusts and estates practices. The good thing about T&E is all your clients are dead. It's hard to have deadlines when you're dead.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Adar posted:

Oh yeah: a few NY firms still have trusts and estates practices. The good thing about T&E is all your clients are dead. It's hard to have deadlines when you're dead.

Well, if your client is dying or you have to help start up a trust by a certain time period and no one even thought about the issue until the clock really started ticking, you're back on the stressful deadline track.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Small firms can be even worse in terms of workload, pace, and stress, but it depends on the practice area. A lot of things that usually get punted off to a paralegal or an assistant at a large firm have to be done by a lawyer at a small firm because the bodies just are not there.

Sometimes the hours are not as bad. Big firms are the ones more likely to make you work until 4am for 6-7 days straight to try to get a deal done. My truly poo poo days are more like working to 11pm-12:30am and giving up several weekends. It's just the nature of the job for various kinds of specialties and the specialties that do not call for that kind of time crunching usually do not pay much at all.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2010

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Deposition summaries of drug addicts make me want to turn Republican.

God drat liars.

e: and holy hell they don't know how to shut up.
e2: five minute break between summaries used for SA or coffee run? I made the right choice.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Roger_Mudd posted:

It is a matter of scale. The grind is not nearly as bad at small firms. But it is difficult to balance workloads perfectly, and occasionally you get overwhelmed and have to start dumping. I usually bill around 160 hours a month, but we recently had a 3 week trial where I and two partners billed around 300 hours for that month. Regular work had to go somewhere, so the associates suffered, too. But in a biglaw firm, that kind of thing happens many times a year. For me, it is once every couple of years.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/chicago-police-seek-publics-help-in-finding-missing-law-student.html

Dude is probably just on a loving epic bender after finals. He'll wake up in Juarez, Mexico wearing nothing but a kilt with his arm stuck in a storm drain or something.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
The last handful of posts have described the complete opposite of where I work; it's like you lot live in some alternate universe inhabited by amoral slave drivers. Here, they most certainly do care if your dog just died, and at any rate your workload isn't insanely heavy. Lawyers are a noble breed; it's shameful how so many graduates are degraded by big/small shitlaw into low class economic tools. :(

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Solomon Grundy posted:

It is not so much that we are amoral.

Bear in mind that I'm not just lumping partners in here. I'm talking about clients as well. Frankly, my experience is that most clients really do not care at all about the substance behind the work or whether the action is right or wrong. They simply have an objective, and want your answer to be yes, and yes quickly.

Though to be fair, in the business transactions practice I do not think you run across deep moral questions as often as most people think. If there is nasty action, it's generally just rich people trying to screw other rich people. Of course, sometimes a company gets acquired and a few thousand employees get whacked, but that's pretty much just ordinary course business practices.

Solomon Grundy posted:

It is a matter of scale. The grind is not nearly as bad at small firms. But it is difficult to balance workloads perfectly, and occasionally you get overwhelmed and have to start dumping. I usually bill around 160 hours a month, but we recently had a 3 week trial where I and two partners billed around 300 hours for that month. Regular work had to go somewhere, so the associates suffered, too. But in a biglaw firm, that kind of thing happens many times a year. For me, it is once every couple of years.

The other part that I would add to this, even at "mid-big law," is that the work often is not steady. You don't get to come in and punch a clock every day from 7-6 with guaranteed work in hand and walk out with 10 hour billed days.

A big part of the problem, for me, is that billing is often 4 hours today, 13 hours tomorrow, hey, it's like you billed two normal 8 hour days. Except you were in the office for 10 hours on the 4 hour day trying to find work or at least not look lazy by going home, and you were in the office for 16 hours on the 13 hour day (eating lunch, nonbillable meetings, etc.).

60 hour weeks don't sound that terrible if you think that you are just working 5 days, 12 hours straight per day. But it generally doesn't work out that way.

EDIT: In other words, HooKars's boyfriend is the outlier and not the norm.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 24, 2010

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I wish my boyfriend could see how awesome he has it. He works from 9:30/10ish am - 5:30 - 7 pm on most nights. He takes an hour out of the day to workout, then grabs lunch. During his time in the office, he bills almost every hour he's at work and then he just comes home. If he has extra work to do, he works from home but it's rare. I've never seen him actually go into the office on a weekend and he rarely ever works on weekends but if he does, it's usually contained to Sunday night for a few hours. The Iphone stays in the kitchen and not by the bed while we sleep. His paycheck is over $100k, he doesn't kill himself over it, he's hitting his billables, and he likes every single person in his department. He's a second year but both of us still get invited to the firm box for client ball games and hockey games so there are also actually some perks.

Yet he still manages to hate his job. Drives me crazy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HooKars posted:

I wish my boyfriend could see how awesome he has it. He works from 9:30/10ish am - 5:30 - 7 pm on most nights. He takes an hour out of the day to workout, then grabs lunch. During his time in the office, he bills almost every hour he's at work and then he just comes home. If he has extra work to do, he works from home but it's rare. I've never seen him actually go into the office on a weekend and he rarely ever works on weekends but if he does, it's usually contained to Sunday night for a few hours. The Iphone stays in the kitchen and not by the bed while we sleep. His paycheck is over $100k, he doesn't kill himself over it, he's hitting his billables, and he likes every single person in his department. He's a second year but both of us still get invited to the firm box for client ball games and hockey games so there are also actually some perks.

what practice group is this and how do I get it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

HooKars posted:

Maybe he's one of many people whose problem is not with the lifestyle but with the actual work he is doing?

There are many kinds of unhappy lawyers. Some lawyers are unhappy simply because they don't like the time drain on their lives. Some lawyers are unhappy because they hate their coworkers but actually like the stuff they do when they're doing work. Some people just hate the work altogether, but do not know a way out of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

The last handful of posts have described the complete opposite of where I work; it's like you lot live in some alternate universe inhabited by amoral slave drivers. Here, they most certainly do care if your dog just died, and at any rate your workload isn't insanely heavy. Lawyers are a noble breed; it's shameful how so many graduates are degraded by big/small shitlaw into low class economic tools. :(

Public sector is the way to go

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

Did he go from undergrad straight to law school? A lot of people say that they hate their first "real world" job, simply because they've never worked at one before. I've seen this translate into JDs who graduate after going straight through from college, who then get a job at a law firm as their first real job ever, and they hate it and hate it but really only because it's a job and they aren't used to working like adults yet.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

evilweasel posted:

what practice group is this and how do I get it

He started in Environmental full time but now he does both environmental and antitrust. It's a lot of regulatory, compliance and advocacy work with some shittier asbestos stuff that he's not a huge fan of. It seems to work well because he's mainly in environmental but almost always has non-essential antitrust stuff in the background to fill in gaps when environmental slows down.

entris posted:

Did he go from undergrad straight to law school? A lot of people say that they hate their first "real world" job, simply because they've never worked at one before. I've seen this translate into JDs who graduate after going straight through from college, who then get a job at a law firm as their first real job ever, and they hate it and hate it but really only because it's a job and they aren't used to working like adults yet.

I was going to write just this to TyChan. He has plenty of jobs that he thinks would be cool but of course they're things like "Maybe I'll just go work for the Rams" or "I'll just write a bestseller and be rich."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

entris posted:

Sometimes I really don't know if I fall under this category too.

HooKars posted:

I was going to write just this to TyChan. He has plenty of jobs that he thinks would be cool but of course they're things like "Maybe I'll just go work for the Rams" or "I'll just write a bestseller and be rich."

Still, if he wants to find something else to do, he better search those options out now. It doesn't get easier to move out to another kind of work when you've devoted 5-7 years to a profession as opposed to 2-3. That would be especially the case if you guys get married or something like that.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

be rich."

The best job.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

TyChan posted:

Still, if he wants to find something else to do, he better search those options out now.

He knows. But like most lawyers, he's pretty risk adverse so he'll probably continue on the law firm path until they kick him out. I think deep down he knows he has it good, but he likes to complain as much as everyone else.

He actually just left the office now and it's only 5 pm. But at least he left to go pick up beer before the firm softball game.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

He actually just left the office now and it's only 5 pm. But at least he left to go pick up beer before the firm softball game.

There's at least 4 goons in this very thread preparing to kill him and wear his skin.

Also: :qqsay:

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

Public sector is the way to go

Too right; proper workloads, good co-workers, and no client/partner needling you to generate money or get the work done in a certain manner you disagree with, at a time that is overly pressing. I guess PDs like to call their defendants clients, though, so maybe they still get odd or intolerable demands made of them. Softball is played, too, and there are day trips to the stadium to see professionals play some bastardised form of rounders.

Kept thinking of this originally, so I went and got the text and typed it out:

"...there goes a story of a Lacedaemonian who, happening to be at Athens when the courts were sitting, was told of a citizen that had been fined for living an idle life, and was being escorted home in much distress of mind by his condoling friends. The Lacedaemonian was much surprised at it and desired his friend to show him the man who was condemned for living like a freeman. So much beneath them did they esteem the frivolous devotion of time and attention to the mechanical arts and to money making." (Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus)

How the ABA fails to require all law schools to engender this sort of attitude in students is beyond belief.

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 24, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Lykourgos posted:

Too right; proper workloads, good co-workers, and no client/partner needling you to generate money or get the work done in a certain manner you disagree with, at a time that is overly pressing. I guess PDs like to call their defendants clients, though, so maybe they still get odd or intolerable demands made of them. Softball is played, too, and there are day trips to the stadium to see professionals play some bastardised form of rounders.

My favorite part of the public service is how tax dollars are kept tied up in politicians' pet projects while the prosecutorial services are chronically under-staffed; combine that with habitual sloth, years' worth of entrenched apathy and a total lack of professional accountability in the prosecutor himself, and the first time an inmate's file reaches the prosecutor is when they take their places before the judge.

But who cares about justice when the lazy public servant's life owns.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

...But who cares about justice when the lazy public servant's life owns.

Nothing in my post should give you the impression that prosecutors are all "lazy public servants", much less that I am. There's a middle ground between being a sloth, and devoting your entire day, every day, to a specific aspect of your life (especially when, in the case of other jobs, it is a lowly aspect). Of course, though, I agree with you that prosecution offices ought to have buckets of money poured on them. Professional accountability/apathy is covered by the great nature of the prosecutor's soul, judges and other peers of the realm, and co-workers.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Day 1 of internship: Apparently our entire class got summer work because our agency didn't want to pay for real lawyers. I am unsure whether to hate myself for undercutting graduating 3Ls (by working for free) or just be grateful that I'm replacing a real lawyer and get to handle a real lawyer's work.

Now how the gently caress do I write this motion for summary judgment? I don't even know my state's rules of civil procedure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

Day 1 of internship: Apparently our entire class got summer work because our agency didn't want to pay for real lawyers. I am unsure whether to hate myself for undercutting graduating 3Ls (by working for free) or just be grateful that I'm replacing a real lawyer and get to handle a real lawyer's work.

Now how the gently caress do I write this motion for summary judgment? I don't even know my state's rules of civil procedure.

Find a motion for summary judgment someone else wrote and ape the relevant parts.

Remember when you're at work, plagiarism is encouraged and efficient instead of a bad thing.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

Find a motion for summary judgment someone else wrote and ape the relevant parts.

Remember when you're at work, plagiarism is encouraged and efficient instead of a bad thing.

The best part of that is whatever he writes, the attorney he gives it to will put their name on it. Last week I wrote something for an attorney where I'm at and she goes, "I just want you to know you did a great job and I didn't have to edit what you wrote other than putting my name on it."

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Probably an obvious point to add to this, but try to find a MSJ written by the attorney you're writing it for and, in lieu of that, an attorney from the same team.

If your office has an awesome electronic document network, your search just got 10x easier.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

What kind of practice would just let an intern write a SJ motion?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

HiddenReplaced posted:

The best part of that is whatever he writes, the attorney he gives it to will put their name on it. Last week I wrote something for an attorney where I'm at and she goes, "I just want you to know you did a great job and I didn't have to edit what you wrote other than putting my name on it."

Around here, they put a footnote on the front and back page stating, "(intern's name), a 2/3L at X University School of Law, assisted in the research and drafting of this brief/motion".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

TyChan posted:

What kind of practice would just let an intern write a SJ motion?

Are you kidding? I let my interns draft court orders and waivers!

Everything they drafted was terrible not a page they wrote ever never came close to leaving the office. I mostly did it to keep them busy. :ssh: