Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think the most suprising part of this case is that Pepperdine is graduating crazies cum laude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bro Enlai posted:

Practice tip for all you solos: Prop up your brand by Photoshopping yourself into celebrity pictures!

Just watch out for the Bar.

What is it about middle aged blonde Russian lawyers? E.g., SVITLANA SANGARY, Orly Taitz.

quote:

A lawyer who apparently photoshopped her image into pictures of celebrities and posted them on her website is facing a possible suspension after failing to cooperate in the resulting bar probe.

This is today's lesson, kids. Don't blow off the disciplinary folks from the Bar.

And if you deign to respond after they open a new investigation for your blowing them off, don't respond with:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
She also tried to claim her First Amendment right against self-incrimination. Strong advertisement for Pepperdine, she is.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

It's exactly like what they did to Natalie Portman!!! Just read it on yelp! Apparently.

Soothing Vapors posted:

She also tried to claim her First Amendment right against self-incrimination. Strong advertisement for Pepperdine, she is.

Hahahahahah oh poo poo. Hahahahahahaha.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my friend's sisters graduated from pepperdine and is mostly broke doing work she hates. Mike Leach is also a pepperdine alum but he prefers to get shithoused and scribble football plays on bar napkins.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Pepperdine: we teach you to copy/paste wikipedia into your bar complaint response(s)!

(Her sentence about "proverbial phrase used to enourage optimism" is literally copy/pasted. She says she looked it up, but the actual copy/paste is very funny to me. Yet that fact cannot be distilled into a way that makes it funny on delivery like it is in my head, where she's emphatically hitting paste and nodding to herself. So here I am talking about it at length.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

woozle wuzzle posted:

Pepperdine: we teach you to copy/paste wikipedia into your bar complaint response(s)!

(Her sentence about "proverbial phrase used to enourage optimism" is literally copy/pasted. She says she looked it up, but the actual copy/paste is very funny to me. Yet that fact cannot be distilled into a way that makes it funny on delivery like it is in my head, where she's emphatically hitting paste and nodding to herself. So here I am talking about it at length.)

You seem to think like a lawyer.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
:eng99:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
much unlike her briefing

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
that was a much like your posting joke in case you missed it

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
At YLS for a meeting, walk by admissions office, two embittered alums are staring at it and talking about how they should have learned to code.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think the reason so many lawyers dream of computer science careers is the appeal of a job that is essentially sitting in a cave never interacting with humans after the people we have to deal with.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlothBear posted:

I think the reason so many lawyers dream of computer science careers is the appeal of a job that is essentially sitting in a cave never interacting with humans after the people we have to deal with.

I just teared up a little

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

SlothBear posted:

Yes, but it involves math and reading loving line after line of boring code. Basically, the transactional law of the computer world.

If only there were something that would pay me for sitting in a cave playing League of Legends all day. (And still being bad at it.)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

SlothBear posted:

This is one of the reasons I made the jump to computer science. Also both careers rely on a very similar skill set of being able to break complicated problems down into simple logical parts and then writing a document in an arcane and highly precise language solving that problem.

Also computer science is full of so many of the socially stunted and awkward that even the gooniest lawyer has a huge advantage in people skills.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

SlyFrog posted:

If only there were something that would pay me for sitting in a cave playing League of Legends all day. (And still being bad at it.)

Turn into a Russian woman and start streaming it on Twitch?

Also Dota 2 is way better, come on.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Turn into a Russian woman and start streaming it on Twitch?

I've thought about trying Dota but then I hear it involves blocking or some poo poo and I get confused and I want cartoony graphics and gently caress it I'm just going to drink and pretend I don't have bench memos to do. And then I end up watching Breaking Bad instead of playing either game, and wishing that I could be Saul.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Can't deal with the floatiness, turning ratios, weird little monkey who buys you poo poo, and especially creep denial. I hate creep denial. I cockblock enough people in real life, I don't need to start doing it in my games.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is one of the reasons I made the jump to computer science. Also both careers rely on a very similar skill set of being able to break complicated problems down into simple logical parts and then writing a document in an arcane and highly precise language solving that problem.

Also computer science is full of so many of the socially stunted and awkward that even the gooniest lawyer has a huge advantage in people skills.

I made the jump to product management instead and it's basically this except I also didn't need to learn to code.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Really agree with the first paragraph; I've tried to articulate the similarities between law and CS many times and never once came up with anything nearly as good as that.

Really disagree with the second paragraph. The worst lawyers I've met are way more aggressively, in-your-face unbearable than the most socially stunted/awkward CS people I've been around (and I have a Bachelors in CS and went to CS grad school for almost 3 semesters).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Going to work on a Saturday is the best: no phone calls, no emails, no questions - no interruptions.

Get 8 hours worth of stuff done by 11:30, get ahead of the coming week. Tee time at 1:00, home for 6 hours of guilt-free college football.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Not going to work on a Saturday is the best

FTFY

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Going to work on a Saturday is the best:

This is some real "he loved Big Brother" poo poo right here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

blarzgh posted:

Going to work on a Saturday is the best.

New thread title?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm also working today but have not managed to convince myself that this is a Good Thing.

Thankfully they don't block watchespn at work...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Going to work on a Saturday is the best: no phone calls, no emails, no questions - no interruptions.

Get 8 hours worth of stuff done by 11:30, get ahead of the coming week. Tee time at 1:00, home for 6 hours of guilt-free college football.

Fuuuuck that. Stay until 6:30 Friday. Skip traffic. Crash hard. Saturday is yours. Work 2-8 Sunday.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Soylent Pudding posted:

Did you selfteach online or go for a 2nd bacc?

Saving that first paragraph for when I get asked "is that JD good for anything as a junior dev"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The sheer quantity of jobs I see out there that are "Patent attorney wanted [EE/CS or get out]" is making me consider going for a CS bacc. I can parse code and construe a (non-bullshit) software patent but I don't have the magic degree so nobody cares. Although with my luck by the time I sunk another 20k the Alice clusterfuck will have turned the entire field into a wasteland and the hot new thing will be ME or something.

(I know there are MS programs out there that are cheaper and geared for non-CS undergrads but I doubt my 2.9 UGPA would bowl them over.)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

the milk machine posted:

Thankfully they don't block watchespn at work...

Since I rant about private practice all the time, let me then admit this is one of the good things. Even in my mid-sized firm, they block nothing on the web (though the fuckers do lock down the computers themselves, such that I cannot install League of Legends).

My friends who are in-house at big companies explain how they can't check sports scores, read articles, etc. because so many sites are blocked. I think I would choke someone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

This is some real "he loved Big Brother" poo poo right here.

Hahahaha

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Petey posted:

At YLS for a meeting, walk by admissions office, two embittered alums are staring at it and talking about how they should have learned to code.

I graduated in '09 without a job. Got a non-legal government job in '10. Started a compsci degree at community college in '11. Got a government java developer position last year.

If I had done the cs associates instead of law school I would be substantially better off financially right now. But at least I'm not practicing law.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Saving that first paragraph for when I get asked "is that JD good for anything as a junior dev"

I wrote a memo for my manager explaining why a work request we received could be rejected because there was no legislative/statutory basis for our program to include that functionality.

We're implementing it anyway.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Friend of mine works in biglaw and was invited to a charity auction event with a few partners. He thought one of the partners was not donating, so he didn't to avoid any showmanship. Turns out the partner did. How does friend recover from failure?

fougera fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 21, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

fougera posted:

Turns out the partner did. How does friend recover from failure?

Seppuku?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fougera posted:

Friend of mine works in biglaw and was invited to a charity auction event with a few partners. He thought one of the partners was not donating, so he didn't to avoid any showmanship. Turns out the partner did. How does friend recover from failure?

Have him briefly explain that he supports cancer(or whatever it was for.), as a form of population control.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

fougera posted:

Why doesn't he just write a check now and say he forgot his checkbook at the event?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

fougera posted:

I go to like 3 of those a year and I've never bought anything. Is someone really going to sit down and figure out that he didn't donate?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I was yelling at Atlas of Bugs on Archeage for being a lovely troll and remembered he used to be a poster in this thread. He's on wall street now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Like literally sleeping on the street I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

That's the only way I'd believe that