Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I wonder how many lawyers fit into the top 10%.
How is it even possible to drink that much? I mean, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not really that much...

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I mean sure, once you need that much just to stop shaking.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I wonder how many lawyers fit into the top 10%.

Lots. But:

mastershakeman posted:

Just under a twelve-pack a day, so yeah.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I drink a lot, but that graph made me feel a lot better about myself.

DevilStick
Aug 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

I am told that IBM used to do a flat fee per case with various patent firms, around $10K per case, and then would dump unholy amount of cases on the firm.

I'm willing to bet IBM's flat fee for most firms has dropped quite a bit from $10K. Probably by a third on average. Lot of market pressures on pricing these days.

I also heard IBM started paying firms in India about $2K a pop. Could be just a rumor. But here it is, in black and white on the internet. So it must be true.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
OK, fine. You drive a hard bargain. 42%

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DevilStick posted:

I'm willing to bet IBM's flat fee for most firms has dropped quite a bit from $10K. Probably by a third on average. Lot of market pressures on pricing these days.

Probably true; my $10K was old (my original source agrees with your $6.5K-ish average in general now).

DevilStick posted:

I also heard IBM started paying firms in India about $2K a pop. Could be just a rumor. But here it is, in black and white on the internet. So it must be true.

Violates the EAR according to the USPTO, although I'm sure it's still going on.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/notices/73fr42781.pdf

ulmont fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2014

DevilStick
Aug 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

Violates the EAR according to the USPTO, although I'm sure it's still going on.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/notices/73fr42781.pdf

Well, it may be that IBM uses these firms for inventions originating from employees of IBM India. Or maybe something else is going on. My intel on this is admittedly very sketchy.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

DevilStick posted:

Well, it may be that IBM uses these firms for inventions originating from employees of IBM India. Or maybe something else is going on. My intel on this is admittedly very sketchy.
They could be using the India drafters for PCT applications and then having their in-house counsel "prepare" it for the US by doing glorified proofreading. I've heard of this workflow in some O&Gs.

DevilStick
Aug 13, 2012

Elotana posted:

They could be using the India drafters for PCT applications and then having their in-house counsel "prepare" it for the US by doing glorified proofreading. I've heard of this workflow in some O&Gs.

Sadly for US practitioners, this sounds plausible.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Morning full of pro pers AND this is the state-court mandated survey week.

Nothing like telling someone, "here's all the things wrong with your paperwork, you won't be getting divorced as scheduled, but please fill out a survey as you leave."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I've always wanted to read those surveys. I'm guessing nobody fills out "You were very professional as you sent my wife/mother/son/father/etc to prison for the rest of his life and ruined this family forever."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alaemon posted:

Morning full of pro pers AND this is the state-court mandated survey week.

Nothing like telling someone, "here's all the things wrong with your paperwork, you won't be getting divorced as scheduled, but please fill out a survey as you leave."

I'm so glad we don't have this here.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
Hi there fellow lawgoons, I know most of you are already well into your careers as miserable lawyers and law students but I'm only doing the application process and this seemed like the best place for questions about that? So, my situation is that I was lucky enough to get a 172 on my LSAT last month but my GPA is only a 3.54, which is below the average of most of the T14. Columbia is kind of a reach with those numbers so I've been told to consider early decision there (which is less of a reach but still not assured). Are early decisions a useful thing for law schools and did any of you apply ED?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Don't go. You won't listen, but you should.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sad Banana posted:

Hi there fellow lawgoons, I know most of you are already well into your careers as miserable lawyers and law students but I'm only doing the application process and this seemed like the best place for questions about that? So, my situation is that I was lucky enough to get a 172 on my LSAT last month but my GPA is only a 3.54, which is below the average of most of the T14. Columbia is kind of a reach with those numbers so I've been told to consider early decision there (which is less of a reach but still not assured). Are early decisions a useful thing for law schools and did any of you apply ED?

Why do you want to go to law school?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Sad Banana posted:

RUN

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Roger_Mudd and I are never going to get to see each other lawyer despite practicing in the same field and same courthouse.

On the plus side, his opposing counsel saw me try to eavesdrop their hearing today and said something like "Oh god. He's not your partner, is he?"

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
I know it's a terrible life decision but I justify it to myself with the uselessness of a history degree and a decent LSAT score possibly opening the way to good schools and therefore maybe jobs?

Also I've wanted to be a public defender since high school.

e: I know I should run away now and never look back but I'm pretty set on destroying my future happiness through going to law school so advice on the actual application process would be incredibly appreciated.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sad Banana posted:

I know it's a terrible life decision but I justify it to myself with the uselessness of a history degree and a decent LSAT score possibly opening the way to good schools and therefore maybe jobs?

Probably not, no.

quote:

Why? Ever worked in a PD's office? Have any idea what being one actually entails?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sad Banana posted:

Get a Ph.d or something.

I have a good government job (Public Defender actually) and dream of quitting and studying weird obscure poo poo.

Why and where do you want to be a PD. Let me shatter your dreams. The only good part is that my co-workers are awesome people. Oh and 4 weeks of vacation and a pension.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sad Banana posted:

Assuming you ignore all the good advice to not go, listen to these words like you have never listened to anyone before.

Go to a school that offers you a full ride and is located somewhere you can get hands on experience.

There is not a single public defenders office in this country that really gives a crap where you went to school, what your class ranking is, etc. They care that you aren't going to quit the moment you find out you have to represent guilty people sometimes, and everything you need to know you will learn on the job. If you do well at your first job, you can get pretty much anywhere from there. The main obstacle in your life will be living on a poo poo salary for a professional job. Graduate without debt if you can.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlothBear posted:

Assuming you ignore all the good advice to not go, listen to these words like you have never listened to anyone before.

Go to a school that offers you a full ride and is located somewhere you can get hands on experience.

There is not a single public defenders office in this country that really gives a crap where you went to school, what your class ranking is, etc. They care that you aren't going to quit the moment you find out you have to represent guilty people sometimes, and everything you need to know you will learn on the job. If you do well at your first job, you can get pretty much anywhere from there. The main obstacle in your life will be living on a poo poo salary for a professional job. Graduate without debt if you can.

My advice if you really want to do this: Come to California. As far as I know, we're the only place that pays a living wage to PDs as we're all at parity with DA's. At a large, urban office, you can top out near $200k and starting salaries aren't terrible. Except San Diego because people who work there are suckers.
Note that our big urban offices (San Francisco, Alameda, Santa Clara, LA, maybe OC DO care where you went to law school). Other offices don't (Anything in the Valley, IE, smaller counties). You get a pension which can still near 100% at 65 y.o. after pension reform (I have an old pension, I'm retiring at 55 bitches), vacations, and it is virtually impossible to be fired.
On the other hand, it is stressful as gently caress, thankless, everyone hates you, politics, and a continuous fight between what is best for the clients and what is best for the office. If the idea of having hundreds of open cases, doing too many trials without enough prep time and few resources appeals to you, PD work may be for you. Everyone "wants" to be a PD, but most people burn out quick and note that the skills are hard to transfer.
Caveat: We still have hundreds of people applying for every opening, and it is expected that you'll work for free for a year or so somewhere to even get an interview.

edit: DAs on the other hand, have an easy as gently caress job. If you have no soul, do that. Bonus: Good for getting into politics.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 28, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Sad Banana posted:

e: I know I should run away now and never look back but I'm pretty set on destroying my future happiness through going to law school so advice on the actual application process would be incredibly appreciated.

Go intern or shadow some PDs.

Dude, you are gonna see some poo poo. I never knew how loving crazy people were before I started going to Court regularly.

Last Wednesday, Mom and Dad go for temp orders because the caretakers of the baby that CPS removed filed for child support. At the hearing, Dad and caretaker get in a yelling match in a courtroom. Judge admonishes them. Dad excuses himself to the bathroom and waits for caretaker. When caretaker goes in, Dad yells at him. People hear yelling match, bring bailiffs into bathroom, bailiffs break it up.

Dad and caretaker go back into courtroom, Dad jumps caretaker and starts beating the poo poo out of him, blood all over the court, blood on the bailiffs.

Dad is on parole(atadick), gets tossed in the pokey. Parol violation filed.

God my job is fun some days.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Like you, I had a good LSAT (171) and a poo poo GPA (3.1-ish) in history from a top-tier school. Follow SlothBear's advice. You want to be the biggest drat fish in the smallest drat pool. Go to the best school in a region that you want to live in long-term, with the biggest possible scholarship you can swing (BUT MAKE SURE IT'S NOT CONTINGENT UPON ACADEMIC SUCCESS). That means that if you want to live in California or New York or Chicago or DC you're hosed and it's a disaster unless you get into a T14. (Seriously, if you want to live in the Dakotas or Kansas or whatever, their flagship state school is a better bet than George Washington or whatever the shiny fourth-ranked school in DC is these days) Except maybe nm has advice on the CA school mess.

Absolutely kill it during law school. (<- This is the hard part. If you treat it like your history undergrad you'll end up in the top 30% and die sad without a decent job. if you actually apply yourself and do well you can end up in the top 10% and get a job. THEN you can die sad.)

Find a job in the area using connections you built during law school.

EDIT: And since you're probably thinking about applying right now, fine go ahead and apply but really you either want T14 or the best regional school where you want to live. In the mean time, between now and March-May when you get responses from schools, you should find a local attorney to volunteer with. Find a local PD office and see if they have an intern program with your UG school (hahahaahahahahahaha. fat chance). Find a local solo crim defense attorney and offer to help with some clerical poo poo in exchange for experience. (hahahahahahaaha they'll tell you you're wasting their time because you'll take more time to train than you'll be helpful) If you can find this magical wonder unicorn volunteer position you'll realize that the practice of law is a huge mess and you've made a mistake. If you persist in applying for/going to law school it'll help with job interviews.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 28, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Dad is on parol, gets tossed in the pokey. Parol violation filed.

Do they rely on parol evidence to convict? :downsrim:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sad Banana posted:

In high school, I thought Dishwalla was really deep and meaningful.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ThirdPartyView posted:

Do they rely on parol evidence to convict? :downsrim:

:ughh:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Roger_Mudd and I are never going to get to see each other lawyer despite practicing in the same field and same courthouse.

On the plus side, his opposing counsel saw me try to eavesdrop their hearing today and said something like "Oh god. He's not your partner, is he?"

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Judge seemed to like you as well. P.sure your co-counsel with me in front of her from now on.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Judge seemed to like you as well. P.sure your co-counsel with me in front of her from now on.

:love:

Holla when you got your jury trial and I'll co-counsel for you.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

I'm so glad we don't have this here.

Pro pers or surveys?

Because I could do without either.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Pro pers or surveys?

Because I could do without either.

Surveys. Pro pers aren't my problem though -- I encourage it.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

Surveys. Pro pers aren't my problem though -- I encourage it.

Nothing like watching your opponent (the prosecution) having to deal with a pro per or a mentally ill person (a category which often includes pro pers) :magical:

e:
Had one guy who we were withdrawing from representing, he insisted on providing the Judge with his Big Brother Canada contestant collage which he had photoshopped his head shot into (he was in custody and brought it with him). He went on to explain, on the record, after we had applied for leave to withdraw how he was going to be adopted by Justin Bieber's dad. He would then be Bieber's big brother, and then Big Brother Canada would put him on their show. After winning he was going to go on the Amazing Race and win.

After that, using his winnings, he was going to start a foundation for "Good Bad Boys". He explained that there are a lot of good boys who turn bad because of crime. These boys are forced to stuff meat and cheese down their pants to survive. He explained to the judge that it's not just poor aboriginal boys, and that there are poor white/African/Chinese boys. Then after that he was going to become the Prime Minister and solve the criminal justice system.

First Judge insisted he try to resolve things with counsel. We then brought the application a week later and the second Judge didn't let him talk. He then said he wanted to plead guilty for time served, but that he didn't do it. After the Judge explained to him that they could not accept a guilty plea if he said he didn't do it, the guy said he should just be let out on bail because he was a Christian. At that time the Judge granted our request, but forced the Crown to wait in court until the very end of the docket to deal with him.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

After that, using his winnings, he was going to start a foundation for "Good Bad Boys". He explained that there are a lot of good boys who turn bad because of crime. These boys are forced to stuff meat and cheese down their pants to survive.

The absolute funniest thing I learned when I started with the Crown was the prevalence of pants cheese and, to a lesser extent, pants meat. I'm glad* to hear that pants cheese is an issue elsewhere in Canada. I don't know how it is in the States or whatever but around here cheese is one of the most commonly stolen categories of goods beaten out only I think by liquor and cigarettes and the criminals always stuff it down their pants. This is of course super obvious and often very funny because no matter how droopy your drawers are they aren't hiding a full wheel of cheese.

*N.B.: I'm not actually "glad." Shoplifting is a crime that harms us all.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Passed the bar. :thumbsup:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Bold Robot posted:

Passed the bar. :thumbsup:

Me too! For New York. It's still a misdemeanor for me to say I'm a lawyer, but you can now legally call me Jewy Jew Jew Jew Jew!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
/\ /\ /\ /\
Congratulations!
You can still be 'Esquire,' though!
(please don't)

Sad Banana posted:

You're about to start a trial. Your quietly angry client stabbed another guy to death. Last week you were in the next room when a friend was attacked and cut on the throat by his client. Your client is not restrained.

Do you give your client a pen so he can write notes so that you can fully focus on what the jurors and witnesses are saying?

Of course you do.

Gleri posted:

The absolute funniest thing I learned when I started with the Crown was the prevalence of pants cheese and, to a lesser extent, pants meat. I'm glad* to hear that pants cheese is an issue elsewhere in Canada. I don't know how it is in the States or whatever but around here cheese is one of the most commonly stolen categories of goods beaten out only I think by liquor and cigarettes and the criminals always stuff it down their pants. This is of course super obvious and often very funny because no matter how droopy your drawers are they aren't hiding a full wheel of cheese.

*N.B.: I'm not actually "glad." Shoplifting is a crime that harms us all.

I've never had a pants cheese case. Lots of pants meat, though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sad Banana posted:

A history degree isn't useless. For example, I have a ba and ma in American history and now I'm a lawyer making less than if I taught history in a decent school district (if I had started teaching after my ma instead of law school).

But at least I have some amazing debt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Sad Banana posted:

Your LSAT isn't so good that it's like you'd be throwing away some huge opportunity. Apply to lower ranked schools and see what you have for cheap options. Do not ED to Columbia.