Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just got a collections call today because the North Texas Tollway Authority says I owe $40 in late fees for a $3 toll. Because the postal system says the invoice was sent out for delivery and didn't get returned to sender that I was given notice of the late fees. I haven't lived at the address they were mailed to since 2006. It's a christmas miracle.

You best pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Abugadu posted:

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the creativity of FSM mothers when it comes to naming children.

First few names off the top of my head from a decade ago:

ABCDE (also can't remember the last name on this one)

I could probably check the daily court calendar and pull out 2-3 more ridiculous ones on any given day.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/03/living/mall-santa-autistic-girl-pit-bull/

Abcde Santos, who pronounces her first name "ab-suh-dee," and Pup-Cake stood in line for 30 minutes to meet with the unnamed mall Santa. But he declined to meet the girl because he feared the 5-year-old pit bull.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just got a collections call today because the North Texas Tollway Authority says I owe $40 in late fees for a $3 toll. Because the postal system says the invoice was sent out for delivery and didn't get returned to sender that I was given notice of the late fees. I haven't lived at the address they were mailed to since 2006. It's a christmas miracle.

They used to be able to charge that late fee on every toll that you missed. Take it 4 times on the same day and not pay? Hello $170 dollar bill.

gently caress the NTTA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lote posted:

They used to be able to charge that late fee on every toll that you missed. Take it 4 times on the same day and not pay? Hello $170 dollar bill.

gently caress the NTTA

And it's my fault I never updated the registration on what was effectively a junk car just sitting in my garage before I sold it.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

Lote posted:

gently caress the NTTA

do this in a rental car with associated fee administration charges for maximum damage synergy

not that I ever have

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

I.G.Y. fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 30, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Left of the Dial posted:

Gonna leave this here: I was catching up with one of my college acquaintances. He mentioned he was dead-set on applying to law school. I asked, "Uh, what do you want to do?"

Ok.

Then he shouldn't go to law school. Honestly, learn an uncommon but increasingly relevant language like Persian/Farsi, join the military for a few years and transfer into an FAO billet. Then go civilian state department.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Just realized (remembered?) that both the cases I am arguing in January involve IAC or IAC light (improper conflict canvass by the trial court) claims against the same attorney...who is actually a rather likeable chap. Poor guy.

He's really not a terrible lawyer, but his record keeping sucks, so he has a lot of "technical violation" type substantiated grievances." A few failing to adequately communicate with civil clients from like 10 years ago. A couple "not responding to the grievance committee in a timely manner" and a couple "failing to get the waiver in writing" type things (though the finding was that there had in fact been a waiver...because the clients were canvassed on the record and agreed he had advices them properly and that they waived) Unfortunately all those substantiated grievances now = "bad lawyer" and any time he touches a case it's bullshit IAC claim time and the defense tries to drag his entire personal history into the case.

I feel bad for him. But then, I tend not to like dogpiles. Feel like I should sent him a cookie basket or something.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I cannot fathom getting a letter from the Grievance Committee and being like, "I'll do something else right now instead of handle this..."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I cannot fathom getting a letter from the Grievance Committee and being like, "I'll do something else right now instead of handle this..."

he's an interesting guy.

And in fairness...practicing criminal as a special public defender, it's pretty much a given you will get letters often. So some of the zap gets taken out of them after the 20th or so.

That said, yeah, I would respond a little faster too.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Left of the Dial posted:

Im still figuring out what I'd like to do. If i could go anywhere atm I'd work with the UN or a similar international body.

What is an international body similar to the UN?

Me? My dream job is on White House legal staff or advising a similar chief executive of the United States of America.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I want to be an old jewish man who owns a deli and bullshits with the customers and makes the best pastrami known to man. Should I go to law school?

Also my student loans fell below $100,000. Yay!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mulls posted:

Me? My dream job is on White House legal staff or advising a similar chief executive of the United States of America.

League of Nations? In which case add "invent time machine" to list of goals.

Serious answer: ICC, I guess.

CaptainScraps posted:

I want to be an old jewish man who owns a deli and bullshits with the customers and makes the best pastrami known to man. Should I go to law school?

Also my student loans fell below $100,000. Yay!

My loans are now so low that the pittance the state throws me in loan forgiveness will take care of them over the next year. Feel free to curse my name.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mulls posted:

My dream job is powerball winner.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Stl wouldn't cover my loans

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

This is the correct dream.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

League of Nations? In which case add "invent time machine" to list of goals.

Serious answer: ICC, I guess.

ICC, ICJ, WTO, WIPO, etc. any of the multinational treaty organizations would qualify, really. Doesn't matter because they won't get a job at any of them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mulls posted:

Then start prodding your lazy friends to become the president, I guess. drat slackers. Even governor wouldn't be too much to ask, would it?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
my dream is to get my credit limit high enough to put all of my student loan debt on credit cards, and then immediately file for bankruptcy.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Is anyone's dream to receive a copy of Bad Rats on steam?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

my dream is to get my credit limit high enough to put all of my student loan debt on credit cards, and then immediately file for bankruptcy.

My dream is to fall in love, even once.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

my dream is

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I would kill for a nice stream like that on my land. Maybe we could work something out.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I achieved my dream of paying off my student loans just a couple of weeks ago. Yet now I'm willingly taking on more hours than ever before. That overtime pay seems so much sweeter now that I'm no longer sinking two thirds of my take home pay into debt.

There is no escape.

Also I'm fully aware that most real lawyer jobs don't get silly things like overtime pay. This is among the many reasons that I'm looking to get out of law. Maybe I can work my way into software development somehow...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I know a couple lawyers who did international special kid rare bird law (worked at the Hague, with the UN, etc.) and they eventually transitioned back to boring lawyer jobs over a long enough time line. it's not all it's cracked up to be even if you can get the work

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kefit posted:

Also I'm fully aware that most real lawyer jobs don't get silly things like overtime pay. This is among the many reasons that I'm looking to get out of law. Maybe I can work my way into software development somehow...

accept without complaint or even remark the chafing halter of evenings, weekends and the expectation to check your e-mail and answer your phone even while sleeping. become what you were born to be

Folly
May 26, 2010
Welp, I failed the patent bar. Despite the fact that I truly believe this is a lovely test, it really did its best to try and and help me pass. In the end, I can only blame myself.

I guess it's time to actually pony up for a test prep.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Folly posted:

Welp, I failed the patent bar. Despite the fact that I truly believe this is a lovely test, it really did its best to try and and help me pass. In the end, I can only blame myself.

Sorry, man. Better luck next time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folly posted:

ahahahahaha

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ah wj, we can always count on you to be sympathetic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8NPPEms54

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My bus driver is wearing a tshirt and seems happy. I envy him from my oxford prison over the wheel well.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's fuckin' open book multiple choice

Folly
May 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It would be pretty unsettling this thread was any other way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Sorry Folly, that does suck. But:
I knew this post was coming and I laughed despite myself

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugd_VB9iVFE&t=1m7s

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 24, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

And you can ctrl-f.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

terrorist ambulance posted:

accept without complaint or even remark the chafing halter of evenings, weekends and the expectation to check your e-mail and answer your phone even while sleeping. become what you were born to be

Look, if I was ready to accept my birthright then I'd simply gun for one of the staff attorney positions at my firm.

Unfortunately I have a nasty case of actually enjoying my life outside of work.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How many years ago did you take it? "open book searchable" is a bit of an exaggeration when 1/3 of the tested material (stuck in Federal Register Notices) isn't searchable and the stuff that is takes 20 seconds to load.

The advice in the OP is absolute bullshit and if you go into the patent bar just doing that, you're not only going to fail, you'll probably only have time to answer 1/2 of the questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

How many years ago did you take it? "open book searchable" is a bit of an exaggeration when 1/3 of the tested material (stuck in Federal Register Notices) isn't searchable and the stuff that is takes 20 seconds to load.

The advice in the OP is absolute bullshit and if you go into the patent bar just doing that, you're not only going to fail, you'll probably only have time to answer 1/2 of the questions

I took the AIA version in 2013. So, no, actually it's not that bad. You can easily tell which ones are going to hit Notice material and it isn't that hard to locate the relevant part of the notice if you actually bothered to give the material at least a cursory skim ahead of time.