Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

De Nomolos posted:

Ok, I can't believe I'm considering this now.

I currently work as a legal assistant in the federal government, specifically with the Office of Personnel Management (so the federal gov.'s HR department, specifically dealing with retirements, worker's comp, and most specifically, pouring over medical records and documentation to determine disability status and accommodations for federal employees). I'm actually gaining quite a bit of experience in labor relations, employment laws, worker's comp, Social Security, etc. I took this job with one thing in mind: as a test step to see if I still wanted to go to law school. It's looking like I want to go now.

The sucky thing is that I don't actually work with any lawyers. Yeah, it's hosed up. All our supervisors are basically senior associates who used to do this job. The lawyers are on the other side of the floor and we never see them, so it's not like I can get recommendations from one.

So in short, I have experience, I have knowledge, I have interest, I've wanted to do this...but I might have to apply with zero letters from actual attorneys. Would it be a waste of time to try?

I have confidence in my ability to do well on the LSAT. I have confidence in my ability to handle the job and school and so on.

As a backup plan, I have considered getting a Paralegal Certificate from Georgetown, but everyone tells me I'll get treated like poo poo for the rest of my life if I do that.

1: Do you like what you're currently doing?
2: Do you know what the actual attorneys do every day?
3: Do you know how unlikely it is you'll get a job doing that after you graduate law school?
4: Do you know that so many people are confident they can handle it that last year alone law schools graduated more aspiring lawyers than there are hiring positions for the next several years?

If you really are thinking about this, go and study for the LSAT. Go back to the OP and read everything posted about how to do this. Then you'll at least know whether you should even consider law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

echopapa posted:

Dear Goon Bar Counsel,

If an opposing party in a divorce case has posted a video to Youtube featuring him dropping his child on his head, am I morally obligated to do my best to make this video go viral?

Are you referring to your moral obligation as a human being or as a lawyer? All I remember from legal ethics is that these are usually diametrically opposite.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

echopapa posted:

Basically I want this guy to be humiliated without me losing my license.

Yeah. I think your duty as a not worthless human being is to make it viral. As an attorney, I don't know. I want to think it's ok because they're not your client and it's publicly available, but I have no clue.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Adar posted:

e: this might be terrible legal advice, but I'm outta here, suckas

Exactly. Our "ethical" rules are just hosed sometimes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Would the authors of the OP object to my blatantly ripping it off into a powerpoint presentation I want to give? A bunch of undergrads from an organization I was in have contacted me about law school and the lsat. I only want to give the no jobs, die alone speech once.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Green Crayons posted:

Ahoy.

Since we're talking about "model" poo poo, who was it that said they absolutely loved Secured Transactions because they were able to map everything out? And would that person just love to share their beautiful procedural map they claimed help smooth out the process for finding the answers? I can set up a dropbox account or something.

I mean, I've created one that is more or less up to date (sup: attachment, choice of law, perfection... just started priority), but there's so much poo poo here I'm sure I have recklessly skipped over things. God drat Art. 9 is more complex than when we dealt with the Code in Ks. Would love to compare mine with someone who actually enjoyed the class.

Sup fellow law student who doesn't know what the gently caress in Secured Transactions.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm taking the class right now - It's just not clicking with me. Any suggestions on study materials to help?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

nm posted:

Is it just me or is this thread less doom and gloom?
Less I have no job and more "what (lovely) job should I take."

I feel I need to remind: don't go to law school.

3L. No job prospects. Dear god why did I go to law school? That better?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Neko Sou posted:

but I've been doing unpaid stuff with no hope of employment, so we'll see how things go next year.

Next year you discover that it's possible to have negative hope.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Upheld, 9 opinions (but really just a mess of partial concurrences and dissents), and a majority votes against each and every rationale given for upholding.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Time for the commerce clause drinking game. The rule is simple: Drink!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

So do I take bankruptcy to diversify my "skill set" or do I just gently caress around with seminars so I have less to do my last semester while I try and find a job?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

At my internship last summer the 16 year old high school part-time worker had to teach me how to fill out and file forms at the courthouse.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Warszawa posted:

Anyone else have the November-of-2L "gently caress this stupid loving field and everyone in it why am I even here?" collapse of depression and anger?

I'm finally getting this as a 3L. It's been building ever since the end of 1L. I guess I knew 1L was supposed to be miserable so it didn't bother me that it was. By this point I can't hide from the nagging doubts that I never should have gone to law school, that I am not the unique snowflake I thought I was when I applied, and that assuming I can get a job in the profession, I'm not sure I won't be an alcoholic within 5 years.

Shouldn't have gone.
Don't have a job.
Definitely going to die alone.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MoFauxHawk posted:

We need this thread to seem as non-nerdy and non-inside-jokey and non-alienating as possible so that our self-deceiving friends who are thinking about making bad law school--related decisions are more likely to take it seriously.

Or we should do the exact opposite so they instead run screaming lest they become us.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

sigmachiev posted:

Do we have any Cardozo goons? I know we're repped by pretty much everywhere else (that's T60).

The Weird Times have set in. But so has apathy. Finals studying as a 3L is quite a bit different.

By different you mean no one has bothered studying yet even though we're a day out. All the 3Ls are busy trying to find jobs, we don't have time for class.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ersatz posted:

My wife left me on Tuesday. I billed 15 hours on Wednesday. Do not go.

My condolences.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

sigmachiev posted:

Does anyone have an issue checklist for Admin? I'm going through GoonShare and I'm not coming across one (some good stuff though that's helping out in other ways).

What is GoonShare?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Received my grades today. In the class that I was positive I failed because I barely did any work I got a B. In the class I studied my rear end off, felt super prepared for, and walked out feeling like I had a definite A, I got a C+. Why do I keep expecting law school to make sense?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Green Crayons posted:

Wow that smilie is named after you. How did you accomplish that poo poo? Other than your weird "I'm a Brit practising the English law in ye olde colonies, eh? FEED ME BANGERS AN MASH, CHEERS" thing you're doing. That's you, right? I get you and the Roman bust avatar confused.

Anyways, I thought ABL visits just naturally sort of dropped off when you realize how pointless the website is. I mean, there's SCOTUS, volokh, or whatever your local state law blog is that covers anything you could ever want.

The smiley comes from a discussion in the Roman History thread about whether modern society has regressed from the standards set by classical civilizations. Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=183787#post406735667

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

I'm in New York, which is a judicial foreclosure state. From what I understand, the grant specifically funds "legal representation and counseling to individuals facing foreclosure of their home and tenants facing homelessness as a result of foreclosure." My understanding is that the position will be pretty narrow in that sense, but I would imagine some consumer protection/bankruptcy stuff would be involved just because of the nature of foreclosure.

So do you find it interesting? Does it stress you out? In court constantly? In family law I'm pretty much in court every day for multiple appearances whether they be trials/factfinding hearings/pretrial conferences/initial appearances/warrant reviews/dispositions/etc., there's maybe one or two days a month that I have no court appearances. Also,from what I understand there's a relatively new law in NY enacted 2 years ago or so which mandates settlement conferences in foreclosure actions, anyone have any experience with those?

Down in Florida when we get a foreclosure defense case it's usually just a matter of trolling the bank's lawyer for 6 months over the bank's horribly lovely paper trail.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Omerta posted:

Seems like the system is:

(1) Bank tries to foreclosure
(2) Debtor goes into bankruptcy
(3) Debtor denies Bank's verified complaint, requests discovery on every lender liability claim ever, asserts every affirmative defense
(4) 14 months later, bank successfully forecloses

We had some foreclosures in FL where the debtor had been living in their foreclosed home for 2 years.

There is also dicking around with the banks over lack of proper documentation and repeated motions to dismiss for lack of standing because the bank takes half a dozen tries to get their poo poo together and present the right paperwork to the court showing they own the mortgage. At this point I'm convinced that the warehouse they store the Ark of the Covenant in at the end of Indiana Jones is mostly filled with mortgage assignments.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Agesilaus posted:

I don't see what's funny, it's someone who studies the Classics but then fails to apply the lessons learnt.

Is this what irony is?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Pertplus posted:

I was mostly just wondering if the whole "no jobs, die alone" thing applied even if I don't care about getting a biglaw / big$$ job.

Let me put it this way, I graduated top 40% from a top 30 school in a very big legal market. I'm currently working for free at a small town general practice firm in the hopes that getting experience might help me land a job back in the big city. My friend who graduated in the top 30% hasn't even found someone who would let her work for free just to gain experience in the field and is considering taking up welding because welders are in much higher demand than lawyers where we are.

tl;dr: Get your math degree and make a ton of money with it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

evilweasel posted:

You should pretty much always be copying language for contracts that's already got a definitive interpretation whenever possible.

It's been my experience that every time an attorney has an original thought it's usually a bad one.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

nm posted:

Maybe in transactional.

I've seen some real special arguments in litigation recently. Did you know caselaw can prejudice your client and is unfair for the court to consider? Neither did the judge...

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

winvirus posted:

Hey, question. I'm graduating soon with a BS in Computer Science/prelaw minor from a really good school (georgia tech). If I was interested in patent lawyering does it matter really where I get my law degree, like if I got my JD from a T2 school (ie georgia state) would that hurt me a lot or is it just the CS degree that matters most

(My great and totally foolproof plan is to work full-time as a software developer while getting a JD part-time from georgia state but if it's going to be worthless and not help me towards a patent law career path I won't waste my time/will see about just going to a good school full-time/etc which is why I'm asking here)

One of my classmates at UGA Law tried doing exactly this after getting his Comp Sci degree at Tech. In the end he went back to just doing software engineering full time because of the better job market in that field. You've got a good enough backup plan so a fair bit comes down to if you can get a scholarship out of GA State versus paying full tuition at a place like Emory.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

LordPants posted:

It'd be really great to graduate and find that my life is spent on tenants and landlords like the Law Questions Thread. :suicide:

There's also foreclosure defense!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

joat mon posted:

Thank you for not putting "Juris Doctor expected, May 2015."

That's what my OCS told everyone to put.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BigHead posted:

I'm so incredibly happy

I'm not sure I remember this emotion.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, I'm sure being at literally the absolute top of his profession has given him a lot to feel resentful for.

You saying you wouldn't feel resentful about spending a decade sitting next to Scalia?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

sigmachiev posted:

Who's the worst?

Kennedy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Circlewave posted:

turn down even that? i'll be assisted with cost of living, so by my reckoning, principal on the debt wouldn't exceed 80k. the school i've got half tuition at is ranked lower than the ones i have quarter from - if i were able to get that offer increased, would it be worth it then? what's the amount of debt, by your estimate, that would make attending a non T14 tier 1 worthwhile

I went to a non T14 Tier One on a 90% tuition scholarship. It wasn't worth it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Circlewave posted:

geez, i'm sorry to hear that man. what makes you say that it wasn't worth it, though? not to make you spill your whole life story or anything.

i've had my fair share of doubts about actually going (lurking on TLS too long will do that to anybody), but i figured that would only be the case for the TTT bottom feeders...is it so bad even if you come out in a decent position at a top 25 school?

and Scraps, if i lived anywhere near Texas (i'm in DC), i'd take you up on it.

At a top 25 school you have a decent shot (like 50%) at an entry level job if the school is in a good market. Of course, entry level job is more likely to be in the $30K - $40K range doing doc review or if lucky at a smaller firm. That being said, I never really had a burning desire to be a lawyer. I bought into the hype that law was a safe, well paying profession so I applied. The opportunity cost isn't worth it because I spent 2 years of my life on additional schooling for a poo poo job market, low salaries, and a restructuring profession. (I say 2 years because if I hadn't gone to law school I would have taken a 5th year of undergrad to finish a comp sci degree. Oops). Some of my classmates have jobs and even kind of enjoy them, but most of my friends are still either unemployed or doing doc review for 60 hours a week. It's also really difficult for many of us to fall back on our undergrad degrees because that "J.D." is a faster way to get your resume thrown out than submitting a mural of racial epithets made from your own feces. In the end I doubt the opportunity costs in terms of time and money for that extra schooling will be worth it in terms of increased earnings potential or for personal and professional development.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Solid Lizzie posted:

Also, law school is just the worst.

This times a thousand.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, she won't have taught a class by the time I graduate despite this being a "priority" for the school since before I got here. That exam owns though, I've always liked exams like that. My 1L Civ Pro exam was just "here are the briefs in Dukes, you have 8 hours" and then related stuff.

My Civ Pro prof did the same except it was "here are some briefs from Jonathan Lee Riches, have fun." :catdrugs:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I want to encourage him to go to law school because I already hate him and wish to draw sustenance from his suffering.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Solid Lizzie posted:

Even though the prof said they could annotate? I'd be so livid.

Having spent two years on honor court I can safely testify to the fact that questions of academic honor and fairness are generally irrelevant to the process.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

2012 grad from non-T14 tier one. It was a really good school for the Atlanta market, only I decided to move out of state for personal reasons. That's one of the many reasons I wish I'd listened to this thread before going, law isn't exactly a field that gives me much capacity to move around. Now I'm clerking part time for a firm I interned at my 2L summer and getting paid crap. Once (if) I pass the February bar hopefully I'll be able to get a real job in someplace that isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

HiddenReplaced posted:

Haha, no such thing.

Go to a local school? Eh, the school isn't high ranked so we're going to be really picky and ding you for some bullshit reason.
Go to a high ranked school outside of Georgia? WELL YOU WENT TO SCHOOL OUTSIDE OF GEORGIA SO CLEARLY YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE!

Atlanta is ridiculous.

Well, as good as you gonna get in the atlanta market. I guess what I was saying was that there at least was an alumni network there which made it easier to network (not that it really mattered for me).