Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That sure is something.

This is still my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

This is by far the greatest thing in the history of the world. I want to find out where this guy lives and just follow him around through his daily doings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Heydary OCI'd as well this year. I can't find out if they hired or not.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I think today's going to be my happiest day ever as a lawyer - my boss is having me write a memo on sovereign citizens nationwide. I can totally pass off other work while researching this (by typing sovereign citizen into the search box here).

That is goddamn tremendous. Does that mean that he's handling a case involving one?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, probably for the best you're not dealing with one.

Still, well done on your part. Try not to laugh yourself stupid too frequently.

If your boss has a sense of humour you could put your name on it like mastershakeman, a flesh and blood entity, acting for MASTER:SHAKE:MAN, CORPORATE lAWYER entity

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Biggest law firm failure in Canadian history yesterday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle16708371/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I met this guy at a bbq for the boxing gym he sits on the board of a few years ago when he was still a Crown attorney.

Nice dude, didn't come across as the type to do anything of this nature.

Edit: reading story #4, apparently boxing is a common pastime for Crowns.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

The judge kept agreeing and asking why he was here since he wasn't a party by his own admission, and denied the motion.

This is great

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

burf posted:

Ugh, Trinity Western University got approved by the BC Law Society today. Because what Canada needs is more lawyers. Especially straight ones.

I know I'm a bit late to bitch about this (since TWU got FLSC approval last year and this was just a vote as to whether the degrees would be recognized by the LSBC), but I have no idea why the Canadian legal establishment has been so eager to open new law schools lately. No new schools were approved for almost 40 years, and then just as we're starting to see the beginnings of an articling crisis, 3 new schools got approved. Mad rush to make this profession as lovely and overcrowded up here as it is in the States, I guess.

Memorial was looking into it a while ago and came to the conclusion that even though the market for lawyers in Atlantic Canada was saturated, the market for law students was not, so therefore, opening up a law school made good sense.

TWU, same thing. Between that, Lakehead, and soon enough, Ryerson opening something (you know LPP's going to lead to a law program in no short while), its about to get even more mental, and that's in addition to the 500+ people who can't hack the LSAT and wind up at Bond or Leicester and come back.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

A Game of Chess posted:

My first appeal since my judge got moved to civil is from a sovereign citizen. I don't know what I did to deserve this stroke of luck.

Is it this guy in his fine red suit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YN3he6cHhM Because that'd be awesome.

From Meads v Meads, Justice Rooke's fine discussion of Sovereign Citizens: "The exotic nature of the Moorish Law movement and its claims warrant some comment,
as casual exposure to a Moorish Law litigant may lead an observer to suspect mental impairment or disorder"

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I love seeing Moorish guys show up en masse in court just because of their insistence in wearing their dorky "religious" fezes in front of the judge.

from Meads v Meads, the case that keeps on giving: describing a case involving a Moorish Law devotee

"Henry also has worn a literal ‘magic hat’! In the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench Henry v. Starwood Hotels (1 September 2010) Edmonton 1003-01152 (Alberta Q.B.) before Justice Shelley, Henry appeared wearing what is best described as ceremonial garb, with a robe and red fez, that he indicated had special significance" at para 312

olylifter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 17, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

They have to give reasons for every judgement but they don't always do written decisions.

I got the impression in this case that he was trying to make these two litigants, who had likely dropped some serious coin on attorney fees feel like they got some value for their money.

They both live in Forest Hill, and those houses aren't cheap. They likely had lawyers with similar price ranges.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Jarndyce v Jarndyce

Jennens v Jennens - 117 years and the fees killed the estate (it ended in 1915 and had been going on for 55 years when Bleak House was published)

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

So the speculation is that the guy who shot all the Mounties in New Brunswick this week is a Sovereign Citizen/Freeman on the Land type.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/05/moncton-shooting-accused-may-be-a-classic-pseudo-commando-with-anti-government-freeman-ideology/

Which may mean that when he goes on trial for murdering three police officers and wounding two others he may go with a Freeman defence. I've never heard of that at a capital level trial. Cannot imagine this being anything but sheer hilarity.

I mean, dude killed 3 cops. He's never seeing daylight again, might as well go bananas in the courtroom as well.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

A Game of Chess posted:

After dealing with a sovereign citizen in person, I appreciate this video 50x more. I didn't think it was possible.

Oh come on you've got to tell us about it, unless you've already done so in this thread and I'm too daft to find it.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Bunch of filings from a sovereign citizen, in response to gun charges in January.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9c7b8lj10BWYlo2VUVXNWRvQ1U&usp=sharing

He appointed himself Attorney General of the United States. That's clever.

This week, same dude got into a shootout with the police and BLM.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

Eh, Emperor Norton I had a better idea. :colbert:

Emperor Norton I had panache for days. This loving mook's got nothing.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2013/2013bcsc895/2013bcsc895.pdf

Guy gets articling job, insists on taking an hour for lunch off-site, daily, and when assigned work, argues about the merits of completing said work and then returns it without having completed it. Also this:

"According to Mr. Smith, on the morning of April 23, an incident occurred shortly before court was convened that would have provided grounds for Mr. Gichuru’s immediate dismissal. Mr. Smith opened his briefcases only to discover that he had left his Criminal Code in his car. As Mr. Smith recalled, he asked Mr. Gichuru to go down to his car and pick up the Criminal Code, but Mr. Gichuru stood up and said in a loud voice, before all assembled, “I will not.” According to Mr. Smith, the courtroom then fell silent."

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

The thing with the BCHRT against the Law Society was a separate matter from his wrongful dismissal suit.

Dude is a litigation machine, he sues everyone.

http://www.lexspec.com/starting_point/records/4145/ - Mokua sues for someone posting allegedly defamatory stuff about him on the internet, loses, and gets stuck with the costs.

http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-l-csc-a/en/item/12535/index.do - Workers' compensation
http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-l-csc-a/en/item/13431/index.do - Coffee bar for having loud music that only he could hear

Tried to get appellate level stuff overturned at the SCC and was rejected.

He even sued the privacy commissioner and the law society as part of the human rights tribunal thing, and lost at that.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Man sues government and university for a second time because they didn't let his daughter into medical school:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/documents/OlfmanvsUofM.pdf&chrome=true

Goddamn that's so good

"Frankly, despite having laid out an outline and glimmers of the claim's character as I have, I am not confident that anything short of glancing over the document itself could truly convey how bad a piece of drafting it is"

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Lote posted:

Rectum Surgeons are some of the coolest and laid back people.

Interests: Dabutt

Million to one shot, doc, million to one shot.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

10-8 posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/08/the-law-school-scam/375069/

Another long and data-filled article about how awesome law school is.

"Florida Coastal’s 2013 entering class had a median LSAT score of 144, which was in the 23rd percentile of all test-takers. Fully a quarter of the class had a score of 141 or lower, which meant that they scored among the bottom 15 percent of test-takers."

Jeeeezus.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Dean and Associate Dean at Western Law's speech to the 1Ls today. Highlights:

"Dean Iain Scott welcomed the Class of 2017 to their official first day at Western Law.

He told the new students that their legal education will open doors to a wide-range of careers, not just the traditional practice of law.

“The critical analysis, the reasoning, the drive and, the professional and social responsibility that you will develop here will also make you equally well-suited to careers in business, the not-for-profit sector, government and academia,” said Scott. “One thing that we can now say with certainty is that the practice of law is no longer traditional.”

Erika Chamberlain, Western Law’s Associate Dean told the new students their class was a varied and impressive one.

“Among the incoming class are business entrepreneurs, photographers, an equestrian, chartered accountants, Canadian Forces members, a Mt Everest climber, music teachers, painters, competitive dancers, published authors and five Starbucks baristas,” she said."

Even the Dean's acknowledging the jig is up.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

A Game of Chess posted:

Another day, another sovereign citizen. First Moorish Nation guy, though. He provided his own seal.

Was he wearing a magic hat? Please tell me he was wearing a magic hat.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Boardgames?

The reason I know about that case is because of his more recent lawsuit because they didn't let his daughter into medical school and the website he made in response to a news article, which I was told he circulated via mass emails to the entire Bar.

That guy is my favorite thing to happen to the Canadian legal profession since Jamie Melnick won his case against LSUC and got his license to practice in spite of his, you know, criminal conviction for letting a 14 year old student of his blow him.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

[2] At the outset of this judgment, because I am fully aware of Mr. McFarlane’s anxiety difficulties, I wish to advise him that I am dismissing this charge and therefore finding him not guilty of the offence.

That judge is a bro.

edit: Wow this is brutal. Apparently not all prosecutors are garbage?

I couldn't find the exact provision in the Crown's Policy Manual but they're seen as a Minister of Justice, rather than part of an adversarial system, so they're not looking to 'win', but to ensure that the search for truth takes place, and that justice is done.

Hence results like this. That judge is great though.

That poor bastard though. Guy lives in Markham, probably in some poo poo basement apartment, and has to get to Brampton without a car?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

He hired the same PR firm as Bryant as well. Maybe he'll do something horrible to this woman and she'll cut him loose as well.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

samglover posted:

The Lawyerist chatroom is very amused.

This is enlightening: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/David_Wynn_Miller

I've never seen wikiwand before. When did this become a thing?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Burn the overhead. Kill the freeloader. Purge the non-equity.

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only non-equity partnership tracks.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Abugadu posted:

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the creativity of FSM mothers when it comes to naming children.

First few names off the top of my head from a decade ago:

ABCDE (also can't remember the last name on this one)

I could probably check the daily court calendar and pull out 2-3 more ridiculous ones on any given day.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/03/living/mall-santa-autistic-girl-pit-bull/

Abcde Santos, who pronounces her first name "ab-suh-dee," and Pup-Cake stood in line for 30 minutes to meet with the unnamed mall Santa. But he declined to meet the girl because he feared the 5-year-old pit bull.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Dude go to law school in ON, and when things to fucky and you can't land an articling gig (paid or unpaid), you can join the LPP and work for free for a year!

http://www.macleans.ca/education/university/the-new-faces-of-law-school-in-canada/

I like the guy who's planning on opening a sole criminal practice after finishing it. His clients are going to get teased by the other criminals.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My life kind of sucks, I'm unemployable, I have a mountain of debt and bad grades from ugrad. But, I love to argue and I ravenously devour every tumblr post i can find about scotus. Should I go to law school? My practice lsat is a 145. I need to practice in nyc or dc.

Note: I'm confident the admissions committee will see me as an asset because I do have life experience as an absentee father. I don't need a 200k/yr job, 100k will do for me.

Are you planning on practicing as a career or are you going to start gunning for judicial appointments right out of the gate?

Don't settle for anything lower than appellate.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Lote posted:

Precedent also favors treatment. Kids that are Jehovah's Witness cannot refuse blood transfusions if they are life saving. Hodgkin's lymphoma has gone from universally fatal to a point where there is a cure rate approaching 80+%. Are there side effects? Sure you will have complications from the treatment like nerve damage in the affected area but you'd have to argue that living with that is worse than death.

Just had a decision in Ontario. Judge held that refusing treatment in favour of traditional Aboriginal medicine (in this case, treatment at a Florida massage studio for leukemia) fell under s35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 as an Aboriginal Right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle21587859/

One of my professors was on tv discussing it shortly after http://tvo.org/video/208904/treating-aboriginal-rights - he's just been appointed to the Ontario Court of Appeal.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

from lawstudents.ca: "Is it just me, or is being a lawyer a horrible job?"

I finished my articles about 2 years ago. It was perhaps the worst time in my life. I was called all the names in the book from "idiot" to "mentally retarded" to "piece of ****" and I was even told by my principal that I should go "kill myself" because "no one would miss me."

I did make some mistakes - the kind of mistakes you do when you're just fresh out of school and you're in a courtroom for the first time in your life and you're expected to do everything perfectly as if you'd been doing it for 30 years.

I was screamed at so much that by the end of my articles I basically got a panic attack just by hearing footsteps in the hallway because I thought it was my principal coming to scream at me. I got so stressed out that I couldn't even digest food normally anymore and I had to be hospitalized after my articling was over. The kicker is that I was being paid like half of mininum wage - because over here minimum wage doesn't apply to interns, including articling students. I was seriously physically unable to eat any solid food - I had to take liquid nutritional supplements like Ensure because if I ate solid food I would just throw it up. It couldn't get through.

So obviously I didn't continue at the firm after my articles. My health got better, and I found a job in a nice firm in another town. I thought that articling students are treated like crap because they essentially depend on their principal to sign their papers, so I felt that now that I was a lawyer it might be a little easier.

Well, it wasn't.

It started out well enough, but then in my new firm it just became "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Except that now I had two bosses instead of one, two seniors who somehow shared poor old me. I was treated the exact same was as in my articles. I became an alcoholic. My digestion problems came back. My cell phone rang non-stop when I was not in the office. It was 11 PM and I was in bed, and my cell phone rang because my senior wanted to scream at me because he just found a mistake I made. On one occasion I was called Sunday at midnight to be told that something came up and I had to be in court at 9 the next morning on a file I had never heard of.

go to law school. Work in Quebec (the poster says she's from there). Apparently there's firms with vacancies. Hurray.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Counter-point: urinal poop is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1Y6uAgNJY

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Glambags posted:

Some comedy on this lovely Sunday morning: http://ia601506.us.archive.org/6/items/gov.uscourts.casd.422127/gov.uscourts.casd.422127.191.0.pdf

(an insane MRA-atheist-gamer-type weirdo files a 250 or so page complaint against the San Diego Bar (and others), is laughed out of court)

pages 3 and 4 have some pretty lol stuff

Jesus its like David Foster Wallace wrote and filed a complaint. Awesome.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/25/onedayofpay-campaign-rubs-u-of-t-students-the-wrong-way.html

The student association at U of T, the top ranked (by loving miles) law school in Canada, is asking its students with BIGLAW summer jobs to throw the unemployed among them a few bucks so they can take volunteer, public interest roles during their unemployed summers.

I have nothing funny to say about this as its just loving awful. 33k/year for U of T and until recently they didn't have a dean and as far as I'm aware they still don't have a law building. I'd imagine the complaining among the students is reaching fever pitch.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Torpor posted:

Debt free baby. :smug:

Although the jailers that hold my clients earn about as much as I do if not more. They also didn't take 3 years off and an opportunity cost of like 200k.

My buddy works at a prison as a CO. He made 114k last year.

However he also faces the daily threat of having poo poo, blood, piss, and other unidentified fluids thrown on him while doing his job.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't get paid enough because gently caress that.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

Uh what state does this insanity occur in

He works in Ontario but that's a common thing: its called gassing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gassing_%28prison_slang%29

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

I was remarking about the money. Not the poopspash

But now I see that Canada and pretend money

ah gently caress, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

You mean like, I don't know, having to defer your law school acceptance to serve a year in prison for letting one of your 15 year old students blow you after a multi-month long wooing period? Oh no wait that's not enough is it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/08/13/london_sex_offender_james_melnick_granted_licence_to_practise_law.html

He got turned down for his articling gig when they found out so he articled at the school's legal clinic.

loving shorteyes.