Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!
Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Ask me about taking dumps with my girlfriend! And why I'm too poor to change my avatar back!
Jesus Christ. I've read the opening posts, so I had a very bad feeling about the futility in all of this, but I will show her this again and hopefully we can make the best decision possible. If you have any more advice for her, please give it. She's on the verge of deciding to attend one of these schools. No, she's not dumb at all. I'm sure her LSAT was okay, I think it might be that her GPA was just under 3.5. She's asian. She majored in Rhetoric and Media Studies.

She applied on time, in a very organized manner, she definitely had her poo poo together. She thinks that all of the analysis is a little pointless, because she feels like she's already committed to at least going to one of these schools, and she just wants to know which one.

There was a thread involving battleshits of sorts but it's gone now and come to think of it we sort of wish my avatar had more poop on it. Thank you.

The Warp fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 27, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

sigmachiev:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was. She doesn't like her options as far as Law School is concerned, because she's not dumb, but she's hoping she can transfer a notch up after the first year or so. She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it, so I'm hoping we can figure something out.

Where we'll end up living in the future is too volatile of a variable to even try and gauge right now. I'm a reservist and college student considering taking on active duty to jump into a medical program so there's no telling where I'll be going, and she doesn't consider where she lives to be as important as the education she receives, so in fact we don't really give a gently caress and our priorities won't let us anyway.

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Green Crayons:

I am soaking up your advice, and I appreciate the honesty. These are all very good points that I'm going to discuss with her. She's not old at all, she just turned 21. It's just that there's a lot a pressure to move forward, to constantly work towards the plan that's been in place for some time now, and with her family and her expecting to do this now, it's difficult to change the course of events. I'm worried about her and I want her to make the best strategic decision she possibly can. I just fear that right now some of this truth can be a little embittering, but I do not devalue it.

No, I've seen the chart and I've read the subsequent portions of the OP, but it's as you suspect, and she's absolutely sure that she can make that top cut and move on up to something like Davis. I have faith in her abilities and her tenacity, and I know that her family is going to do all that they can to facilitate her success, as will I, but I also take very seriously the fact that poo poo happens and that there's an element of luck involved with making grades sometimes, and that this is a difficult course of action to plan. I get what you're saying 100%, I just really wish that I had had this conversation with you guys long ago, when these plans didn't rest so heavy and seem so concrete.

Sigma:

This is excellent information, and a great deciding factor if we must decide between these two. Western State would seem a clear choice, but still, I just have got to find a loving way to talk her down from this.

The Warp fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 27, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

I stayed up into the obscure hours of the night trying to explain these things to her, sometimes gently, and then sometimes reading aloud from some of the more pointed comments. The best sure thing that I managed to do was eliminate LaVerne from her choices, but I understand the resounding truth that that's not nearly enough. But she's becoming more and more pliable, I think I might be able to handle this. It's horribly ironic, she had planned to tour Western today with her mom and that's where she's at.

I suspect that you're all right about the LSAT scores, she must not have done very well, must not have understood well enough just how pivotal it was, or maybe she's just embarrassed because she won't tell me.

She's just kind of panicking right now. Should I really listen to my boyfriend because the internet told him certain things? I've told her that this is stuff she probably should have known already. She's telling me she's not sure what the gently caress she's going to do for a year, but at the same time she wonders if she'd even have enough time to study for the LSAT before it's time to reapply. Her last semester brought her up past a 3.5, and it wasn't accounted for the last time around, so that'll be good.

It's hard to see where all this reluctance is being generated from. She was one of the few kids from her close knit city in LA to make it to Berkeley, and she's the brat of her family with a huge age gap between her older siblings and her. There's a lot riding on her and I doubt her benefactors really understand the decision she's making, and it'd take some straight talk to make them understand the strategy of waiting because she's afraid it might make her look lazy or incompetent. But that doesn't matter, saving face isn't worth throwing everything away.

Thank you for the the continued advice, I'm keeping up very persistently with my chiding.

Western State just got off of its ABA probation? I don't know what this means, she seems to think that this is normal, that most new schools take years to step away from provisional status. Can you tell me specifically why this is horrible? I believe you but I need accurate ammunition and I don't know a loving thing about Law or the compulsive and miserable professions that it necessitates.

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

She's wondering who the gently caress you guys are and where are all the unemployed lawyers you're talking about? She thinks that's there's no harm in going to Western State because she'll get her JD and pass the bar exam like every other lawyer, that they all learn the same damned material and they offered her a really huge scholarship. She thinks that you guys are just saying that she won't have a house by the beach or a cushy corporate firm, but I don't think she understands that it's more dire than that.

:ughh:

I need to let this sit for a couple of days because now we're just straight up fighting about it. She thinks she has no choice in the matter and that this is what she wants to do, I should just shut up and support her, blah blah. She thinks that it'll be totally fine if she goes to a lovely school, it's fine if she settles, at least she'll have an edge on people with just undergraduate degrees if she has not be a lawyer and just enter the job market. This is getting so stupid. "Yes, all of these guys on this website are just trying to trick and you and I, and they're not really lawyers or students, it's just a vast network of carefully planned trolls with nothing more important to do than to gently caress with you all day and night."

The Warp fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 28, 2010

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Mission Accomplished:patriot:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warp
Nov 7, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

What was her LSAT/GPA again?

Her GPA was a 3.6, her LSAT was, well, she won't tell me. Heh.