Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Saving that first paragraph for when I get asked "is that JD good for anything as a junior dev"

I wrote a memo for my manager explaining why a work request we received could be rejected because there was no legislative/statutory basis for our program to include that functionality.

We're implementing it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

D'aawwwwwwwwwww... now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Incidentally, a friend of mine and I were recently involved in a 24 hour play festival, in which she chose to write a "space opera" for her submission. Her conclusion was that anyone can write sci-fi if they just put the word "space" in front of random nouns. Actual Dialog: "Space Prom? Are you kidding? Isn't that just a lame bit of under the space suit, over the space bra action?" Your title text reminded me of that...good times.

Please tell me this is posted somewhere for me to read.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

k. lemme see if she still has a copy, as there seems to be so much valid interest in space bras and puppet sex.

You must be new here.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hm. JtDL and I both need to know who you are now.

2009 as well, but now out of state and not practicing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

I love you guys. However these are all blatant. I'm going more for "I think she's making fun of me but I'm afraid if I get indignant I'll look paranoid. Is she making fun of me?" Pisspants is a little too nail on head.

But pissant is not.

See also: http://www.morewords.com/contains/piss/

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Same here. It's like $75 a year instead of $170. I assume inactive status exempts you from the $400 professional tax too, but I'm not sure.

$85 in TN. I don't pay the professional tax either, but I think that happened when I left the state.

I'm not sure why I pay it every year. I do like filling out the CLE exemption form every year, though.

If any of the would-be law students need something to chew on, my employment prospects increased substantially when I got an AS in CompSci after graduating law school and passing the bar.

Skip law school. Go to community college instead.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MechaX posted:

And at least I still laugh at the VGCW (no one here is enough of an ultra nerd to know what this is).

This is a trap, right?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

the milk machine posted:

who were the lawyer goons that ended up signing up for masters in computer stuff? i have questions...

Does it have to be a masters, or a CS degree in general?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

For those interested in the convluted world of campus sexual assault statistics and reporting (and lawsuits by those accused): http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/12/college_rape_campus_sexual_assault_is_a_serious_problem_but_the_efforts.html

This is the best article that Slate has published in years. And it was written by the "Dear Prudence" columnist.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

What the gently caress? When my blood pressure was 180/120 no one seemed to care

Well, it was medical advice received at a dentist's office.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

So Im in the boat of hoping forgiveness sticks around until 2022, and that I'll still qualify, and that the forgiveness of debt will not be a taxable event. I haven't seen anything that actually says it's not taxable though.

26 USC 108(f) covers public loan forgiveness.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bank, 3.25% rate.

What percentage did you put down? That's a drat good rate.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

It's a lifelong goal of hers. She wants to work in the realm of law.

Paralegal and court clerk jobs are both in the realm of law, don't require the expense of law school, and are likely more accessible to someone with a legit learning disability.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arcturas posted:

My wife is still angry that I finished all the sections early. I was just mad that i had to sit in those stupid lovely auditorium chairs and stare at the ceiling for two hours each day. Plus it was cold! And you couldn't even go to the bathroom and rub one out in a bathroom stall because they had "restroom monitors" who listened at the door of the bathrooms to make sure you're not cheating in there.

We were allowed to leave if you finished sufficiently early. I rushed one of my morning essays to make sure that I got out and got a long lunch. Still passed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I finished somewhere in the 15-30 minutes early range both days. I think I just went home to sleep. I was zoned the gently caress out.

I went tout o dinner and had a giant steak.

When I found out I passed the bar, I went comatose. Didn't have a single thought in my head for at least 3 days.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I did doc review with a guy who wanted to be a video game lawyer.

As near as I could tell (I never pushed for details), his plan was to bill companies while he played Second Life and sent in-game C&D letters to trademark violators.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I only occasionally read this thread and have skimmed the last couple pages. That said, I feel like people in this thread poo poo on prospective law students a little too much. Can we at least be semi-nice to people who have already committed to law school or are competent? I totally agree that most people shouldn't go, but there is a thin line between helpful and abusive.

I wish somebody had abused me out of going to law school. I'd be much better off financially if they had.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Property law is the most boring subject I've ever read

You are so wrong.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

1" top and bottom, 1.25" on the sides. :(

Look at this fool, using the MS Word defaults.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

blue squares posted:

I see your point.

I'm a 26 year old Navy vet, go to UT Austin, GPA 3.8. (in-major GPA of 4.0) Not married. Graduating in May 2017.

Do you have veteran's preference? If so, use it to get a govt job as a management analyst or something. You'll do plenty of reading, writing and analysis, but without the debt and job insecurity.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This is pro read and then some.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Veterans preference? Federal work?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Popero posted:

Some schools have midterms?

It lets the smart kids know when to bail.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is that standard for American govt pensions? Do they expect you to work from 25 til you're 80?

Plus social security, plus your TSP (government 401k) with 5% matching.

You can retire pretty well, but it requires starting young and planning from day 1.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

B+ on my LRW memo. One person failed and I'm pretty sure I know who. That has to suck hard.

That person can drop out and be 5 semesters of debt ahead of you.

Don't pity him. Celebrate his good fortune.

Comedy option: study group girl is the one who failed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

And no, I'm not going to start boning another girl. That's how I got divorced the first time. I was just really drunk last night.

Calling it now: you'll get a handy from her by mid February, and be boning her in a study room by the end of March.

Law school is terrible for marriages.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Go to a community college, earn 24 hours of computer science credits, get a government IT job. Enjoy doing literally nothing.

I just wish I had made that plan before law school rather than after.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Think it's better doing that than brushing up on CS and getting into Georgia tech's online master's that's only 7 grand?

It took me a year and a half and cost roughly $3,500 to get my AS. That online masters is dirt cheap, and if it's meant to be a 2-year program, is basically a no-brainer. Definitely worth it.

In fact, I might look into it. I already have an AS, BA and JD. An MS would complete the set.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I've literally let my wife read all of my text messages. There's nothing to hide.

Are you as bad at law school as you are at life?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Newfie posted:

The important question is did she?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

My wife had to work at 8am this morning after getting off at 9pm last night. She suggested we stay in a hotel downtown because of the snow and one of her selling points was that in the morning I would be about a half mile from my study partner's apartment. Decided to just go pick her up and take her this morning.

Your wife is testing you, Toona. And you keep failing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm simply going to stop putting myself in compromising positions and see my therapist about my alcohol use, which has been insane since law school started.

How compromising a position are we talking about here? Who was on top?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Can't hep it. Thread is too drat dumb.

But we need the dream team: Brady, and Gronkowski, and some special balls.

Toona is already balls deep in 2 women, but I'm sure he could handle that thread too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I just gave up a great government job to stay home with my kids. I recommend doing that.

Sure, but you married a med student. Would that we all had that luxury.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

My study partner. I already told my wife everything when I was hammered the other day. I think she was upset but somewhat sympathetic because...well, our relationship started when I was married to my first wife.

Toona, she may have appeared sympathetic, but I can tell you exactly what was going through her mind.

"gently caress, gently caress gently caress. I got together with this loving loser while he was still married, and now he's going to leave me for some other woman. This little fucker has a pattern, and now I'm stuck in the middle of it."

I'm completely serious here. You had better be a perfect husband from here on out, and step one should be to completely sever yourself from the study group girl.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Thank you for this. I know (theoretically and rationally) that I have a skillset, but it just does not "feel" that way. I think it comes from not having been passionate or interested in the work for so long, that it creates this vicious loop. You feel disinterested, and like you're having a hard time putting in a lot of effort (or perhaps that everything you do takes a lot of effort). You know that rationally (because you see the work you do versus the other people who are really into the job), so you feel like your skillset is falling behind the people who are actually interested and really working at it.

Government work sounds right up your alley. Nobody is passionate, and everyone gets paid the same.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wtf is up with your avatar?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

joat mon posted:

No limit , but his bank will send a nice note to the feds about the deposit.

You think this is headed to the bank? The good captain will head straight to the nearest titty bar and blow it all in the hopes of getting disbarred and not having to handle the divorce.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I came home from my final, set fire to my outline and have been swilling whiskey ever since . Don't go to law school.

I thought you quit drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Newfie posted:

If this isn't the only thing you care about doing with your free time, you are doing life wrong.

He's right. The real dream is to have somebody else jerk you off while you get drunk and play video games.