Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

drew something for this journal at the liberal arts grad school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

My Torts final was uncharacteristically free of funny stuff (this teacher, in previous years, wrote about Cookie Conster crashing her car due to spilling Drunken Donuts coffee.)

So I made up for it by namedropping Steven Seagal and speculating that an untaken precaution might be checking Facebook

not on the same question mind you

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

boston goons, just had anna's. it was delicious.

tacochat itt

have you tried the lengua, i would but i fear risk (hence law school)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

reflections on the law review competition

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

so in light of last semester's round of P's, I've been talking in class more, outlining from day one, things like that

straight P's again

(also, I attended the arraignment of that one girl who got punched by the Seattle PD)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Law360, New York (July 15, 2010) -- After abandoning the model briefly during the recession, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has become the third major law firm in recent weeks to announce it will revert back to a lockstep associate salary structure in 2011, and legal industry experts expect more firms to follow suit.

well that sounds pretty--

quote:

While associate pay structures may have changed as firms struggled to stay profitable during the economic downturn, the market rate for top-tier associates never changed, Williams said.

quote:

the market rate for top-tier associates never changed

quote:

top-tier

poo poo

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

So I'm having an informal chat with a summer associate at a firm I'm bidding on for OCI, and out of nowhere he says, "You post on Something Awful, right?"

Now how's that for an interview question

(also: bidding on multiple offices of the same firm: opinions?)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

On that note about bidding: I'm a bit miffed as to how to proceed. Most people here will bid on San Fran and LA firms. I want Seattle, San Diego and NY firms the most. Do I bid the Seattle/SD/NY places high to ensure I get what I really want, or bid the SF/LA places high so I don't lose in the lottery?

E: JOB GET Hookars, good poo poo congrats.

stay out of sf/la so i have a better shot :ssh:

Seconding congrats to HooKars, but I would like to defer the drink to immediately after OCIs

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

TyChan posted:

HLS' reputation as a place for sociopathic gunners is mostly a product of students at other top tier law schools trying to find reasons not to feel disappointed about not getting in.

It's law school, so it's not going to be cuddly because the American law school model is not built in a way to give you College Pt. II. However, from my experience with lots of HLS students, people at HLS are more likely to be secure about themselves, much more relaxed around other law students in general, and aren't going to view every classmate as a potential enemy.

Honestly, I think it's probably students at the lower ranked schools you have to be worried about. Everything said about HLS students actually happens at those places.

spent 1L year drawing comics about federal judges being huge jerks, got straight P's, feelin' fine

(not really)

e: seriously get out and talk to some people you goon, even the gunners are relatively personable here

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 26, 2010

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can I be a professor? I promise to be sober most of the time and not yell too much

You know how my Torts professor reenacted Palsgraf with toys, well I have even more toys

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Seriously though I think I'm literally going to move to California, open up an unaccredited law school, charge $1,000/year tuition, teach nothing but the Bar and say "good luck". There's no laws against that right?

the my garden shed school of law

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

this is pretty much my oci experience so far

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Click here for the full 600x881 image.

Click here for the full 700x998 image.

Click here for the full 500x743 image.

Click here for the full 688x537 image.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

i drew them :ssh:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I had 23--all last week--but my school doesn't let employers pre-screen, soooooooo

10 rejections so far, but I was bidding out-of-state so they get to you slower. I know a guy who bid entirely in New York and got all his rejections the same day

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

edit - where do you go that doesn't allow pre-screen??? That sounds dumb. Wouldn't it just screw some people out of jobs that the employers would have targeted and now never end up interviewing???

harvard, and yes

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

drew another thing

Click here for the full 1200x1000 image.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Draile posted:

Do the torts textbooks finally have a case to replace Byrne v. Boadle?

oh god dammit

drat iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

content: Did you hear about the playwright whose play was plagiarized in very small increments, she was Nichols and dimed

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

That being said, you know that even students at t14 schools are striking the gently caress out job-wise, right? When people say "Go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford," they're not just being elitists - even 4th-ranked Columbia has had some lovely OCI lately.

harvard and jack poo poo here

don't go

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

thanks guys, i just had a dream about taking a burrito law class

it was mostly product liability

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I want to set the person who drew this comic on fire.

What do you want to bet he describes himself as a "constitutionalist" too...

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

V20 in SoCal, not the power center of the firm (and never will be) but they're in growth mode. Lots of litigation, some corporate. And thanks bud.

Nice, that's a lovely place to practice

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Real men prefer graphics that don't depict people as grotesque abominations whose bodies would literally snap in twain if they were real. Men of quality find japanese animation to be quite distasteful, I'm afraid.

does this help

(recettear owns)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Grammar Fascist posted:

Did any other 2Ls apply for DOJ SLIP? If so, I'm curious to hear if/when your application status changes from "application received."

No change here.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Vander posted:

I'm giving a mock opening statement for class today. I'm wearing a sexy 3 piece suit and am thinking of delivering it without the jacket on. Good idea or bad idea?

I didn't even bring a jacket or tie, just said "If the flag is green, you must come clean" and that p much sealed it

(it was a case about illicit shipments to libya)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

oh hey i found one i can do

job posting posted:

As a law firm that represents cutting edge clients in a variety of industries, including media, entertainment, technology, publishing, visual arts, and gaming, (firm) is looking for an individual who has an obsession with social media and cutting edge legal issues, particularly in the area of intellectual property, as they relate to the firm's practice areas.

Initially, the Social Media Director will identify and research all angles of at least 2 new/engaging legal issues per week; draft synopses of those issues; discuss the issues with the managing member of the firm; and submit 2 tweets which correspond to those issues to the managing member of the firm for approval. Dry wit is a strong plus.

This position is open to applicants from any location as the work can be done remotely.

Please submit a cogent synopsis of a legal issue related to social media as a writing sample.

Location(s)
Nationwide
Country
United States
Practice Area(s)
Corporate Securities, Entertainment & Sports, Intellectual Property

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I got into Harvard with 177/3.85, no bites from Yale or Stanford though. What I've heard is that Yale/Stanford are pretty idiosyncratic because their class sizes are so small.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

here's my idea

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Linguica posted:

more lawyers should be cartoonists imo

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

cendien posted:

Any Harvard 1/2/3L's around here? My school started teaching Legislation and Regulation from the Manning & Stephenson book this year, and I'm looking for some outlines as there are about zero supplements out there and no one at my school has taken it before.

Any help would be great. PM me or email me at cendien AT gmail.

Thanks!

Visiting prof, Vermeule here, sorry. Try the Funk/Seamon admin law E&E?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Carlos Romious lost his license on Monday after the Kansas high court found that he charged the inflated fee while representing a soldier facing drug possession charges in a military court. The court also found that during a three-year period Romious shouted profanity at court clerks, got into a brawl with a court security officer and accused a judge of being a pedophile.

Which one of you guys is this?

(opinion is 2010 WL 3928608 and contains much mirth)

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

“52. Two days later, Greg Smith observed the Respondent in the Grandview Municipal Court again. When the Respondent noticed Greg Smith, the Respondent started yelling at him. The Respondent yelled, ‘I'm back in Grandview. All the snakes are back again.’ The Respondent continued to scream that everyone was a snake and that Grandview is full of snakes.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I was not intending to claim first-hand knowledge of the job market. I was simply asserting that those of us fortunate enough to attend a top school may not, based on my 6 weeks here, have to worry about the doom and gloom purported in this thread.

Of course, I won't go through any of the 1L hiring hurricane for a few months, but I was just relying on the testimony of older students here....

Below-median (all P's) 2L here. Spent the better part of the summer going over career books, doing informational interviews, researching firms and otherwise preparing for EIP.

Spent my Flyout Week on here and 5 Second Films.

Good luck.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Justice Breyer swung by today, and I got him to sign a comic

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

^^^ Thanks! I'd do these more often, but it's so hard to come up with a good idea.

Oh, and a V80s firm randomly called to set up an interview Friday. See? Those resume books are good for something after all.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Went to New England Webcomics Weekend today. Brought some bad comics.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Here's a thing I put together for the Harvard Law Record.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

I've had your LJ bookmarked for a while now, it's on my daily rotation of webcomics. I'm excited to watch you develop as a comic artist and eventually publish a law-themed webcomic and then I can buy the book copy for my collection.

I'm flattered, but I hope you mean I'm on your RSS and not that you literally check daily, considering how my update schedule is more akin to Dresden Codak than Dinosaur Comics

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Just finished my Admin Law case map, complete with title "THE BIG PIMPIN ADMIN LAW CHART" and sketch of Scalia going "legit (unlike Brand X)" in the corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

What kind of poo poo will I be asked in 1L-summer DA and USAO interviews? Will it be the a lot of pretty general, easy questions about who I am and why I want to be in X doing Y, or should I try to have a really good idea of what's going on in the city/district and/or have really good reasons for the trajectory of the Rest Of My Life?

I've been told that interviews for full-time employment have a lot of ethical hypos in them; should I expect anything like that?

It prrrrrrobably depends on where you're applying--I'd imagine smaller markets would be more interested in why you're looking there, if only because it's less obvious, but then I only applied in the big cities.

As for the substantive questions, on top of the usual know-your-resume stuff, just be ready to explain why you want to be a prosecutor. Ethical hypos seem to be more the defense side's speed.